Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missstella_gw

Quest for a sink - Stainless Farmhouse

missstella
13 years ago

I need a sink--soon. I thought I had this all figured out until the countertop fabricator told me I could probably avoid a seam at the corner of my penisula if I had a farmhouse style sink. I hadn't really considered this before. So now I'm looking for pictures of and info about stainless farmhouse sinks (particularly 30 inch size)?

Anybody have one they love? If so, what model. Straight or curved front? Pros and Cons? Pictures?

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• celineike
    13 years ago

I just got the Krause stainless apron front (33") from Overstock.com... i haven't used it yet but it looks great on my living room floor. :o) Quality seems good in person so far. Front has a slight curve. I was worried it might be too thin but the specs seems fine compared to more expensive ones.
    hth!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Ticor also has a lot of stainless farmhouse sinks now (galaxytoolsupply.com).

• analysisparalysis
    13 years ago

I JUST posted a picture of my kitchen (post is titled "After 9 months...sneak peek", or something like that) - and I have a 33" Kraus SS apron sink (slightly curved, but very mildly so). I LOVE that sink!!! It was so reasonable, and came with a really nice plug, drain basket, and sink guard (I can't remember exactly where I got it - I'd have to look - FaucetsDirect.com, I think?). I would highly recommend it -

Julie

• missstella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all.

Analysis
    First, I love your name. It descibes my kitchen remodel to a tee.
    Second, I love your new kitchen. I saw your post and it looks like our analysises (I'm sure that is not a word) have come to similar conclusions. It is nice to know my kitchen will come together and look fabulous!
    Third, was there a reason you went with a curved front and not a straight front sink? I keep wondering if there is a reason for the curve or if it is just asthetics.

Stella

• kngwd
    13 years ago

I bought the Kraus 30" SS farmhouse from expressdecor.com. Still not installed but it's a beauty!! Shipping was super fast (and free for NJ) via fed-ex. I originally ordered a 33" - free fed-ex return & the 30 inch arrived less than a week later. Mine also came with the grid, towel and drain basket. I think I paid $510 or so.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I have a Lavello 36" single bowl curved front farmhouse sink (that's a mouthful of adjectives ... isn't it!) Can I say I don't just love it, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Paid around $700 and it came with a sink grid, strainer, and basket strainer. They were awesome to deal with.

From Drop Box

• missstella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Remodelfla--I was hoping you would chime in as I saw you had a Lavello on a previous thread. Your sink is quite pretty. They seem to be one of the few companies that has a 30" sink that doesn't cost a fortune. I haven't seen those sinks except on their website. Do you know where it is made? Oh, does it have a centered or offset drain?

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I looked on their website to see where they are made. I can't remember for sure but I want to say they are Italian. Again... really just guessing. The drain is a rear center drain. I looked all over for an offset drain in a curved front sink. I found a couple in the over 2K range.... wasn't going to happen. I was worried about fitting my mammouth batch feed disposal and trash under the sink. I dont' have the any pullouts yet (and not sure I'll even bother) but I have the disposal some cleaning products, and two small trash bins on either side. It's just a standard 36" frameless sink base (IKEA) with a 36" sink. No problem... it's AWESOME!

• analysisparalysis
    13 years ago

Kraus makes a 30" also, as kngwd mentioned. My 33" looks just like remodelfla's. Either way, I don't think you'll regret the SS farmhouse sink.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention I bought the combo package - the $510 also included a Kraus faucet.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Misstella,

Here are some pictures. (Kinds of what I do best)

~boxerpups

Ps. I love you note about your Boxer Stella. Sweet name
    for bt sweet girl.

Some links that might be helpful too.

GW Ikea farmhouse sink
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg02123913818.html

Old GW post SS farmhouse sink
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0716235713020.html

SS apron sinks - curved or straight front? Show me your pics plz
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg041629121756.html

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

I have The Julien classic 0100 36". One of the focal points in the kitchen. It also comes in a 30" the 0110. Boxerpups shows it in pic #9 (red wall). I opted for straight front because I'm 5'2" TALL. I preferred the look of the curved front but thought I'd be uncomfortable with the reach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julien classic 0100 or 0110 (30

• missstella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey thanks ya'll. I have to get my research done and make an order this week and this will really help.

Great pictures Boxerpups--and the links were just what I needed.

Remodelfla--I see your sink is flush mounted. How is that working out? Any issues or guck where the countertop and sink meet? I was intrigued by flush mounts to avoid dings to the countertop at the sink, but was afraid I'd end up with a yucky seam.

• User
    13 years ago

Remember that a farm sink will need an entirely different sink base than a standard sink. You will need to order and wait on that sink base, as well as absorb the cost of the sink base you already have. It's also more expensive to install becasuse of it's difficulty---both from your carpenmter and stone fabricator. Your plumbing may also need to be modified if the waste arm going into the drain isn't low enough because of the added depth of the sink/garbage disposal.

All of those things add up to much more cost than just the difference between the cost of the sinks. I'm not saying to not change to one, if that's what you REALLY want, and really can't live with a seam in your countertop. Just understand that it will cost you significantly more than if you had planned for it from the beginning. And, a well done seam in stone is practically invisible and easy to forget it's there. Especially if the no seam option costs you a couple of thousand more.

• missstella
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info LiveWire. I did talk to my cabinet maker last week since we don't have cabinets yet my expense is the modification of the cabinet at this point.

The sink I originally planned was 9" deep. the new sinks have all been around 10" deep--would this really make that big a difference?

We are doing all new plumbing at the sink as the wall had to be gutted and we had some failing pipes so I'm thinking this might not be hugh either. I will consult with my GC tomorrow. I know that the plumber has already done the water lines, but don't think they have completed the waste line plumbing yet--there is nothing sitting outside of the wall yet.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Livewireoak,
    Is spot on.
    Here are some links from old GW posts that talk about this.
    Knowing is half the battle to getting what you want or
    making choices that fit your life.

Hope they help.

~boxerpups

The farm sink cabinet
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0708092424924.html

Help.. farmsink base seems wrong on installation
    http://ths.gardenweb.com//forums/load/kitchbath/msg0507542424746.html

Farmhouse sinks are only trouble?????
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1112581313391.html

Help! Farmhouse sink install
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0116142426696.html

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I LOVE my flush mount sink! It's soooooo easy to clean up. One swipe and everything goes right into it. No gunk, no dings, no chips... perfection. Florida Joshua did an outstanding job installing it. He hasn't been around here much lately but he was our resident soapstone expert.

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

I agree with remodelfla...mine is flush mounted also and at the time my installers were against the idea (they had never installed one as a flushmount). Swipe right in, no yucky seam or guck here!

• analysisparalysis
    13 years ago

Ditto on the flush mount - we did that also! The seam is all but invisible, with the thinnest line of silicone. No gunk, just a swipe and it all goes in. SOOOO much nicer than the topmount I had in the old kitchen (and still have now with the small prep sink in the new kitchen) - I hate gunk under the rim! I've never had an undermounted sink, so I can't compare it to that.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!