Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

SS apron sinks - curved or straight front? Show me your pics plz

needsometips08
15 years ago

What is the difference between a curved front apron and straight front apron on a stainless steel apron sink? Is it just looks?

Are there implications or benefits to having one over another?

I am not sure I've seen a curved one actually installed. I'd love to see any and all pics of your stainless steel apron sinks - not only to hopefully see the curved vs. straight, but also to see the various mounts and how they look.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• needsometips08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love your sink! It does have an ususual shape - it doesn't have the square-edge sides on the apron front, which seems to be more common. Love it.

• needsometips08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does anyone know if I can flush mount any ss apron sink or do they HAVE to be undermounted?

For instance, the Kohler Verity sink is labeled by Kohler as an undermount sink - so does that mean it can't be flush mounted?

Why have I never seen an apron sink (in ss) raised a bit above the counter? I've seen it with a fireclay apron sink, but never ss - come to think of it, ss of ANY variety sink doesn't usually raise above the counter as other material sinks often do. So is it possible with ss? Is it just that most people don't like that look? I'd think it would be hard to get a good watertight seal with flush mount, but for some reason can't get thrilled about the feel of an undermount....

• golddust
    15 years ago

I have a Bates & Bates ss farm sink that we chose to drop in. We could have done it either way. It isn't possible to have a ss farm sink raised because the back and side aren't made the same way as the front. Fireclay sinks are the same on all sides.

• ebse
    15 years ago

Sorry if this is tacky, but can I ask how much the ss apron sinks run? We're also considering fireclay and enamel cast iron, but I do love the look of the stainless.

• peachieone
    15 years ago

Ours has a slight curve - mostly on the inside of the sink.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

I have a kindred SS farmhouse sink-not installed yet, though. I bought it off craigslist, for a fraction of the new price. It is still taped up in it's protective film, but the sides and a couple inches of the back are the same as the rest of the sink, so it could be installed raised above counter height. I prefer undermounted, though, so that I can wipe crumbs right into the sink. I wouldn't want a ridge to deal with-one of the main reasons we looked for an undermount (and then found exactly what we wanted on craigslist!).

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Thank you, gglks, but I don't know v. much. I thought I wanted a square-edge front but luckily I hit my hip / thigh on someone else's sink and did not like it! That was pretty much what informed my decision, although if truth be told, my #1 priority was a single bowl stainless apron front, and my partner's #1 priority was that it be thick. (He wouldn't let it be any thinner than 16-gauge; ours is 12-gauge.) So my #3 priority (because his first was my second) was the shape, and we hit paydirt with our sink!

My sink, which looks nearly identical to gglks', can be either an undermount or self-rimming. (Like golddust's, it's the Bates & Bates stainless apron sink S2133.)

• needsometips08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ebse, I've seen them anywhere from $330 on Ebay for a cheaper brand name to the Bates & Bates one above for $2,700 (which I assume is full retail).

• golddust
    15 years ago

I can't remember how much we paid for our Bates & Bates but it certainly took a big chuck of change. The thickness was important because we wanted to stick a big ol' garbage disposal on without support. We've had it 5+ years and it's great.

• gglks
    15 years ago

the kohler verity was about $800....not tacky to ask at all!!!!!