Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odessaquilts

Round Robin 2010-2011 Edition

odessaquilts
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Since last year's inaugural Round Robin efforts were so successful, I thought it might be time to get you all thinking of doing another one. Any takers?

Here's how it will work (for those who didn't participate last time):

*You create the center of your quilt. I recommend you don't make it too large (about 20" sq. would be the maximum size I would suggest), and it can be any shape you want (square, rectangle, hexagon, triangle).

*You select the style you want to do for your center (piecing, paper piecing, applique, fusible applique ...).

*On the pre-selected date, everyone participating will mail their center to the next person on the list.

*After a few days a new piece shall arrive for you to add another "round".

*Ample time will be allowed to work on these pieces. Yes, life can certainly get in the way of keeping on a schedule, but as long as everyone understands this and does their best to attempt to stay within the parameters, it will all work out. Last time we averaged about 3 weeks per round, but from November-January it was difficult to keep on time (especially since I was doing NTA on Kate's center and it was a pretty ambitious round!).

So, yes, life can get in the way, but we can be flexible.

*Obviously, all the standard swap rules will apply: 100% cotton fabrics only, no perfumes/smoke/odors, furbaby hair free (or as close as you can). I would also recommend that all fabrics be pre-washed as you don't know if your fabrics will "bleed" with another and you don't want to have your piece or someone else's to have a problem down the line.

OF SPECIAL NOTE: We did NOT post pictures of any of our progress on the RR's last time, but we DID give a variety of clues as to what we were adding ... it was all very lively and tongue-in-cheek, and made the anticipation so much more fun. I suggest we do the same this year, unless participants prefer to see the progress on their pieces before the end.

NEW THIS YEAR: If there is enough interest, we can also do a ROW ROBIN. This operates the same way except that you prepare a row based on a theme (color, design, whatever) and send it on. The next person adds a ROW in keeping with the theme (instead of a round). For instance, if you wanted a "farm theme", you might do a row of chicken blocks. The next person might add a row of cows. Perhaps the third person would make their row a variety of barns, and maybe the 4th person would add pieced blocks based on "CROPS" [lke corn & beans block, or appliqued carrots, or corn, or cabbages ...]. I recommend 12" blocks for this swap to keep consistency, and 6 blocks across. We could have 8 people in a Row Robin. I suggest 5 or 6 for a Round Robin.

I will be happy to coordinate each swap.

Finally, if there are any problems that are encountered along the way (anything from pet hair on a piece to inaccurate piecing to smell of smoke in a piece), I will have my personal e-mail address and phone number available to discuss and vent. I believe that any obstacle can be overcome as long as we work together.

If you want to see how we started last year:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg0920552018278.html

To look at how we finished last year's Round Robin, check out this link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg030939201972.html

Please post if you want to participate, which type you would like to participate in (or both), and if you have a preferred theme in mind (or something you prefer NOT to work on -- Halloween was a no-no for one person last year, but it was not a problem for anyone).

Thanks for considering participating this year. Hope to have a lot of interest!

In stitches,

Odessa

Comments (89)

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! You gals have been thinking about this little project, haven't you? That is excellent! Yes, rivergirl, go ahead and e-mail those guidelines to me. I'd like to see them.

I am happy to make whatever adjustments may be necessary for row/block size on the row robin. I was thinking that perhaps the originator may want a bed-size piece in the end. But whatever you all decide will be fine with me; these are your pieces, after all. That's the beauty of this swap, you get something really interesting in the end.

So how about an update?

In the "yes" group - Row Robin:

Kate
    SharonG
    Linda
    Toolgranny
    magothyrivergirl

"Yes" - no preference or Round Robin:
    Odessa
    Jackie
    Quiltpartner
    Kay_in_pa
    Marie (welcome back!)

The fence-sitting/"maybe" list:
    Sue
    Lola99 - [round] (debating on time frame)

Cheerleader section:
    Vicky
    lafonda ranch

Start date/send our your center: TBA
    Amount of time allowed for each round/row: TBA

If I have any of this info wrong, please let me know. I'm trying to keep track of all of it, but want to make sure I have it right.

I LOVE all the interest in this swap!

Odessa

• jackier123
    13 years ago

I can start earlier or later. So if a group wanted to start early, that is fine.

Jackie

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm considering doing both. :-) Am I just a glutton for punishment??? Is anyone else in my boat?

• User
    13 years ago

I also would consider both, especially if the start dates were a big staggered.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Odessa ~ you've got mail!

Oh yes, please, please stagger the start dates so these fine quilters will join the Row Group as well...please, please.....

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I'm interested in wallhanging size and will work on either row or round. I'd like the one I start (that I'll own at the end) to be a row but I'll sew on any in the fashion the owner prefers. I love the idea of creating a design based on what is handed me.

I assume if I'd like a particular background fabric, I can send that fabric along with my center.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I'm okay with wall hanging size - what size do you recommend for the width? Including some of your own fabric was one of the suggestions in the Guidelines.
    I feel the excitement building:)

• lola99
    13 years ago

Look at some of these pictures of round robin quilts that I found! I'm getting excited...

(I found the picture on a blog http://springflingroundrobin2008.blogspot.com/)

• solstice98
    13 years ago

In the last one some of us sent fabric along for the others to use; or not use - it was completely up to them. But mostly we just sent them out and waited for the mystery to unfold. This is not a project to enter thinking that you're going to have much control! It's a fun exercise in creativity and sharing.

Guidelines are good but I don't think the rules should be too specific.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

My Row is ready......it's 24" wide and will be a wallhanging. The only guideline is that I want it to Shriek Feminine. Technique is in your hands along with glitzing up my row, or your row, if you desire.

Odessa, Is it ok if I send this to you before I leave so you'll have it and I won't have to think about it when I get back?

SharonG/FL

• solstice98
    13 years ago

Sharon, she'll probably want you to send it to someone in your row group instead, so hold off on sending it until you hear from Odessa.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, you've all been pretty busy, thinking, and researching and sewing, haven't you?

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday when you were all postting like made ... have been dealing with a "bug" issue at home, and it is driving me nuts. Just thought I'd pop in and see what's up.

Marsha, I got the guidelines you sent. They're a good start, but I will likely "revise/amend" them for our purposes. Thanks so much; it will be helpful.

For anyone who is unsure, don't worry. The guidelines I'll send to everyone will include both row robin and round robin instructions. I think the mailing dates will likely be staggered every two weeks: i.e., row robin mailed on the 1st, round robin mailed on the 15th. That way we'll have people mailing while others are working, and some will be sewing while others are mailing. Also, if you are planning to do each, you won't have them both arriving at the same time.

Before we begin, I will get everyone's mailing address, e-mail address and phone numbers. That way I can create a round list for each group. So far it appears we'll have at least 2 groups, maybe 3. Whatever group(s) you belong to, you will always mail TO the same person every time, and you will always receive FROM the same person every time. That way you will always know what to anticipate. More guidelines will be given later.

SharonG, don't worry; we're not going to start just yet. Soon, but not just yet. We'll be discussing start dates soon; when will you be gone and when are you returning?

Thanks everyone. Keep yourselves tuned in for more info to come!

Odessa

• wynative
    13 years ago

If we stagger the dates - I want to do both. Still love the barn/animals and such idea for the row. Still undecided for the center of the other - but I have this lovely purple pasley fabric that I have been saving for myself (yes, I love purple LOL) and I want to use it in what ever I decide on.

A lady I know here gave me 30+ samples of upolstery fabic yesterday that I am making purse & bags out of - I finished 4 of them yesterday afternoon :D I am now looking for some bigger snap's for closures for them - off to Michaels.....

Marie

• lola99
    13 years ago

It looks to me like about four of the people are willing/able to start relatively soon, and about four would prefer to start later, and the rest seemed flexible. Can we start one group in September or October? I would definitely be "in" if we can start one group soon.

Im fine mixing up the groups working on a row or a round but I think based on peoples preferences it seems like the people who wanted to start later generally were the row group, and the people who were willing to start sooner generally were the round group.

Lola

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Well, I've already started - the thinking part. We have to do the first part ourselves and decide on a plan, right? So guess I'd better start soon. I'm a bit slow.

• User
    13 years ago

I can do a "sooner", and by staggering the dates through the months, I'd love to do both. You're right, imagination is going wild. I have about a dozen ideas that I'm trying to narrow down pending a look at the final rules/guidelines! Doesn't matter which starts first, row or round, but depending on who's doing which, that might influence start dates, too.

I've also been wondering about a "combo"... if the originator sends a center square, but intends to finish it to a rectangle, could instructions be included that somewhere along the way the rows to shape it to a rectangle would be fine? This would give more flexibility to at least one of the people working on it.

• solstice98
    13 years ago

Just for the record: as a Quilter of the Row Tribe, I can start any time after August. I could even have my row ready to send around the end of the 1st full week in September. That gives us 8 weeks. I'm OK with later than that, but that's the earliest I think I can commit to.

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kay_in_pa,

We had one last time that started with a rectangle because she was going to use hers as a bed quilt. So that would be a way for you to get a rectangle in the end, if that's what you wanted.

I hope you are all thinking of what you want to do. It's only July, but we'll be starting soon enough ......

Odessa

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

HELLO EVERYONE

I'm finaly back online, we moved into the new house last weeek and the internet just got hooked up today.

I would like to join this one, I want to do a row robin, I can try to have a row done by mid to late august. my sewing machene is still packed so I need to get it in.
    I have my own sewing room now, it is small but it is my own.

thanks for starting this one

michelle

• solstice98
    13 years ago

Welcome back, Michelle! Congrats on getting your own sewing room!

Kate

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Michelle! I'll bet your cozy new sewing room is full of inspiration! Love to have you on board.

I am hopeful that at some point over the weekend I will be able to post an updated list with a few more parameters. We can start to think about the guidelines we'll be following.

In the meantime, please let me know the following:

* when you would be able to have your center/1st row ready to go so we can begin to think about dates

*If you are planning to do both types, also let me know if you have a preference for which you'd like to begin first.

* Finally, if you are planning to participate, please send me an e-mail with your address and any other information you find pertinent including your current ideas for your "theme".

Speaking of "theme", here are some thoughts: it can be based on color (blues, reds, greens, red/white, tan/brown, you get the idea ...), it can be an idea (fall, winter, Christmas, cats/dogs), it can be based on a focus fabric or fabric style (1930's repros, civil war repros, paisley), you can do just about anything you want. Last year, we had one that was based on hunting/fishing, one that began with a fall scene, one that was a cowboy silhouette, one that began with a fussy-cut butterfly, and one that was "winter" but not necessarily Christmas. Also, one person requested no Halloween be used (not something she could work on). You can also specify somewhat about the fabrics that others may use (i.e., I prefer ecru/ivory over white; although it's a "fall" quilt, please don't use too much orange, it's not my favorite color; although I love Thimbleberries, you don't have to stick to it completely).

Guidelines to be posted soon!

Odessa

• jackier123
    13 years ago

Yay me! I finished my center yesterday! I am anxious to see how this turns out. I will be sending you an email Odessa.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

You finished your center already!?!?!?! I've barely started planning mine! You are an inspiration to the rest of us!

• colleenny
    13 years ago

Odessa quilts, I have sent you an email to sign up for the Round Robin. ColleenNY

• polardream
    13 years ago

okay, I think I am ready to jump off the fence and jump in.
    We are still traveling (since July 7 and won't be home until August 12/14 time frame)and have had limited internet access. I would prefer a later start date.

I can go either way - round robin or row, I haven't decided yet - but count me in! DH just rolls his eyes.

I'll check back next internet time.

Sue

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I have not evan planed mine yet.
    I know I want to do a row robin and my subject is chickens, eather appliquet or on the fabric. if you don't have any chickens a nice country fabric that goes well with the other fabrics used would be fine.
    I know I will not be ready with my row till late august.

michelle

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Sorry but I'll have to reverse this one and back out. I think it would be fun but we have some elder care situations and family issues that might make it hard for me to keep up so I think it's better not to start at all.

I'll be with you all in spirit.

Linda

• wynative
    13 years ago

I have my row one drawn out (sort of) but need to know what the limit on sizes are for both. I can't find where it was decided either way - sorry ;)

Marie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Linda, Sorry you have to back out, but certainly understand. Caring for the elderly makes it difficult to make plans, but family does come first.

Marie, My row is going to be a wallhanging so it's only 24" wide at this time. I'll put a border/s on it when it's completed. Should be easier to mail, too.

Nother question.....rules on mailing? Flat Rate envelope? Confirmation?

Guess this sounds like I'm still here, eh? GW seems to be faster for me now. Don't know what they did, but so far so good.....and it isn't all AVG because GW is the ONLY place I've had trouble. I think GW needs to run their scans more often.

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

It's strange that this posted as I got a screen that said 500 ERROR when I hit the submit button. oh well.....

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

Glad you are still here Sharon.
    Linda

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I haven't even started mine - too busy.

I also need the rules - and more important to me is the date it all begins & the turn around time frame for each round. I still work (business owner) so the time determines if I am able to commit & participate as I hoped.

Linda, sorry about your elder care situation. All "family care" is stressful.....
    hope all goes well for you.

Both my Macs keep crashing - only on GW when I try to post. It has to be GW! Very frustrating for me.
    It is keeping me from posting. This is my 6th attempt to post this msg -I finally emailed it to another computer to post.

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I haven't posted much lately, everyone. With the primary election here in Michigan on Aug. 3, my office is incredibly busy and I get home totally sapped of energy. My boss is running for District Court Judge in our County, and there are 4 others vying for the same position. Many twists and turns and it may get even uglier before it's all over with. Suffice to say, this could be a campaign that completely turns me off politics completely, but I feel so strongly about voting. How interesting this situation is. But I digress .....

At any rate, we've got a LOT of interest in this swap this time. And for that I am really excited. There have been a couple of questions that I will attempt to answer now.

SIZE: you determine the size of your piece. If you are doing a row robin, the length of your initial row will determine either the height or the width of the piece you end up with (depending on whether you want your rows to be vertical or horizontal). Therefore, if you want a bed-size quilt, you determine the longest measurement (either width or height), and plan your row accordingly. You need to remember that there may only be 3 or 4 others in your group (I haven't yet got them together), so you should try to plan so you get the maximum effect without having to do a ton of creating when you get your quilt back.

START DATES: Because it looks as if we may have 3 groups going this time, start dates can be a determining factor in who is in what group. I am thinking that one group will likely start in early November, another in mid-October, and the third later in September. Does that sound okay for you?

TIME TO COMPLETE YOUR ROUND/ROW: This is something of an individual thing. Some of us work faster, some slower. As long as you communicate with each other in your group and let everyone know what is going on, this will all work out in the end. We can all be very understanding if there is something preventing you from speeding along. Just remember that you do not have to match someone else's pace. Just do your best to get your row or round done in a reasonably timely fashion and it will work out.

That being said, I would think that you should be able to get your work done on a piece within 3-4 weeks. The earlier rounds (round robin) will be smaller and will likely take less time to complete. The larger the piece becomes, it will take a bit more time.

Just food for thought.

RULES/GUIDELINES: I am working on these, but they are not quite ready yet. I hope to have them finalized by the end of next week or even sooner.

After that, we'll get the groups together and create some amazing pieces!

Any further questions, let me know!

Odessa

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Odessa,

Not sure how the QF works technically, but hoping that when you post the rules, groups, start dates & other important particulars that it could be on a new thread. Scrolling down thro all the posts so far is time-consuming (read:annoying:)
    Also not sure how we are contacting you about our interest on type,start date,etc. I don't have a preference as to start date, so if it makes it easier to balance out groups based on SD, I'm flexible & can 'go' anywhere. I do only want to do the round robin tho, have done the row thing before.
    I saw the questions re:mailing & just wondered - did you use delivery confirmation w/your last RR? I know any type of confirmation has a fee attached, but the delivery confirmation does not require a signature - which can be a problem for those who aren't always home when their mail is delivered. I imagine confirmation is fairly important, & insurance could be up to the 'owner'? Despite the fact that postage will be increasing the first of the year, to me it's a small thing. Postage/insurance/confirmation...costs are just part of the whole project. I'm not going to let the PO keep me from doing this very awesome & fun experience!!
    Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now... ;-);-)

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quiltpartner,

I hope to answer some of your most recent questions and hopefully this will help.

Not sure how the QF works technically, but hoping that when you post the rules, groups, start dates & other important particulars that it could be on a new thread. Scrolling down thro all the posts so far is time-consuming (read:annoying:)

Try this: When you get to the "page" with the Round Robin info, wait for it to open and then press the "end" key on your keyboard. That will take you to the bottom of the thread and you can use the "page up" key to bump up to the last thing you haven't read yet. Much quicker than endless scrolling. That will help you with THIS thread, but when we start the individual groups, we will have new thread(s) for each group. All the particulars will be covered in the guidelines, I promise.

Also not sure how we are contacting you about our interest on type,start date,etc. I don't have a preference as to start date, so if it makes it easier to balance out groups based on SD, I'm flexible & can 'go' anywhere. I do only want to do the round robin tho, have done the row thing before.
    Just send me an e-mail through the GW site with your info. I am keeping track of what everyone wants to do, preferred start dates, addresses (snail and electronic), etc. When the groups are set participants will each get their own master list for their particular group and you will be able to work from that.

I saw the questions re:mailing & just wondered - did you use delivery confirmation w/your last RR? I know any type of confirmation has a fee attached, but the delivery confirmation does not require a signature - which can be a problem for those who aren't always home when their mail is delivered. I imagine confirmation is fairly important, & insurance could be up to the 'owner'? Despite the fact that postage will be increasing the first of the year, to me it's a small thing. Postage/insurance/confirmation...costs are just part of the whole project. I'm not going to let the PO keep me from doing this very awesome & fun experience!!

Last year, we never considered that the Post Office would have any difficulty with delivering our packages and in light of several negative experiences recently, in retrospect we were very fortunate. I am recommending that this year everyone send a small notebook along with their original piece where you make notes to your group, and everyone in turn can also make notes regarding their process, thoughts, etc. In that book, you can certainly request that the rest of your group please include postage confirmation as they prepare for mailing. You are right in recognizing that a P.O. problem can ruin the experience for all of us.

For the most part, a large envelope is plenty big enough to use for mailing these projects, especially if folded to fit well. Anyone who is concerned about mailing may wish to speak with their favorite postal clerk for advice on this issue to help avoid any potential problem.

If there is any other question I can answer, please let me know.

Linda, thanks for letting me know you will be dropping out. This should be a really fun swap and if it taxes you to get it done it becomes more chore and less fun. Please feel free to stop in and check out our progress. We'll miss you, but perhaps you will be in a better place to get involved next time!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Odessa - I just sent you an email!

Kate

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the answers Odessa! Tried the 'end' key & it works great! Nice to know you can still teach an old dog new tricks!! lol

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have finally made every last little "tweak" to the guidelines and am ready to send these out to each of you. If you haven't already, please send me a private message or an e-mail so I can get this information to you.

I think once you receive the guidelines it will be helpful. I have had a few "experts" read through them to make sure they make sense, and also to insure I have covered everything. However, if you have questions, please let me know and I will advise.

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, the guidelines are ready. I have sent an e-mail to the following:

jackier123
    kay_in_pa
    wynative
    k8orlando
    geezerfolks
    magothyrivergirl
    lola99
    colleenny
    polardream
    quiltpartner

I do not have e-mail addresses for the following, so you need to send me a message with your e-mail address so I can get you the guidelines:

lindaoh
    miceyrey

If there are any other questions, let me know! We'll be starting soon!

Odessa

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

Odessa, I sent you the info this morning.
    Linda OH

• polardream
    13 years ago

I emailed my information today.
    Sue/polardream

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I have received the requested information from nearly everyone so far. It appears we will have 2 groups of Row Robins, and one Round Robin.

I expect one will start in September (likely around the 18th?), probably one of the Row groups. There will be one in October (probably the Round group), and one in November (the other Row group).

I plan to send each participant an e-mail that will provide each of you the names and order of your group (you will always send TO the same person, and receive FROM the same person).

There has been a question about size. If you are planning a Round Robin, my best suggestion is to make your center somewhere in the 12" - 18" range. Any bigger and your quilt will likely end up quite large. Any smaller, and it may be difficult for the first few rounds.

If there are any other questions, you all have my e-mail address; feel free to reach me that way and I will make every attempt to get back to you quickly.

I'm looking forward to this; I hope you all are, too.

Odessa

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Odessa,
    I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say a HUGE THANK YOU!!!!! for organizing this! Obviously many of us were wanting to do a RR - & you took it on. You are giving us all the opportunity to have such fun over the next many months - being creative & sharing our love of quilting with each other! May you be extra blessed for being such a gift to us!!:)

We love ya!!
    ~Cindy

• lola99
    13 years ago

I couldn't agree more with Cindy's comments. THANK YOU Odessa!

Lola

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago
  • odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awwwwwwwwww, shucks, y'all.......

You're making me blush .....

And on a day when I really needed the pat on the back. I really appreciate it.

You had better check your e-mails; I'm sending out some info to make sure I have the "right stuff" before assigning groups. If any of it is wrong, please advise as quickly as you are able.

Odessa

• odessaquilts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am amazed at the responses I've gotten from all of you. Thanks for helping me to get the information compiled. I am still waiting to hear from the following:

kay_in_pa
    wynative
    polardream

I think once I have that information, we can get rolling.

I will say that the info I have is incredible....some of these themes are very thoughtful and rather inventive. This year's swap is going to be such fun !

Odessa

• sewhappy42
    13 years ago

I am interested in the round robin if it's not to late. I've never done one before but it sounds like fun. I am a beginner so I am a little concerned that I won't measure up (no pun intended) but I would love to participate and learn. What do I do now?

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Hi Sewhappy and Welcome! Since you are new to the forum, can you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm Kate and have been on the quilt forum since 2007 (and the Florida Gardening forum since 1998!). I was one of the 5 who did the first Round Robin that Odessa coordinated for us and it was a blast. It was more about the fun we had and the creativity that we shared than about making heirloom quilts, so quilters of every skill level are welcome.

• sewhappy42
    13 years ago

Hi Kate Thanks for the encouraging words. My name is Gena, I'm 42 and live in West Virginia. I've been quilting about 2 years and need to expand my learning skills from the basics. I would love to learn how to applique' and other fun things that you can do to make a quilt more than just a quilt. I was so excited when I found this website on the internet. I hope I can join the row and round robin you all are getting ready to start. It sounds like "sew" much fun. I hope I'm not to late. Haven't heard anything back yet.