Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round Robin 2010-2011 Edition

Posted by odessaquilts (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 19:27

Hello Everyone,

Since last year's inaugural Round Robin efforts were so successful, I thought it might be time to get you all thinking of doing another one. Any takers?

Here's how it will work (for those who didn't participate last time):

*You create the center of your quilt. I recommend you don't make it too large (about 20" sq. would be the maximum size I would suggest), and it can be any shape you want (square, rectangle, hexagon, triangle).

*You select the style you want to do for your center (piecing, paper piecing, applique, fusible applique ...).

*On the pre-selected date, everyone participating will mail their center to the next person on the list.

*After a few days a new piece shall arrive for you to add another "round".

*Ample time will be allowed to work on these pieces. Yes, life can certainly get in the way of keeping on a schedule, but as long as everyone understands this and does their best to attempt to stay within the parameters, it will all work out. Last time we averaged about 3 weeks per round, but from November-January it was difficult to keep on time (especially since I was doing NTA on Kate's center and it was a pretty ambitious round!).

So, yes, life can get in the way, but we can be flexible.

*Obviously, all the standard swap rules will apply: 100% cotton fabrics only, no perfumes/smoke/odors, furbaby hair free (or as close as you can). I would also recommend that all fabrics be pre-washed as you don't know if your fabrics will "bleed" with another and you don't want to have your piece or someone else's to have a problem down the line.

OF SPECIAL NOTE: We did NOT post pictures of any of our progress on the RR's last time, but we DID give a variety of clues as to what we were adding ... it was all very lively and tongue-in-cheek, and made the anticipation so much more fun. I suggest we do the same this year, unless participants prefer to see the progress on their pieces before the end.

NEW THIS YEAR: If there is enough interest, we can also do a ROW ROBIN. This operates the same way except that you prepare a row based on a theme (color, design, whatever) and send it on. The next person adds a ROW in keeping with the theme (instead of a round). For instance, if you wanted a "farm theme", you might do a row of chicken blocks. The next person might add a row of cows. Perhaps the third person would make their row a variety of barns, and maybe the 4th person would add pieced blocks based on "CROPS" [lke corn & beans block, or appliqued carrots, or corn, or cabbages ...]. I recommend 12" blocks for this swap to keep consistency, and 6 blocks across. We could have 8 people in a Row Robin. I suggest 5 or 6 for a Round Robin.

I will be happy to coordinate each swap.

Finally, if there are any problems that are encountered along the way (anything from pet hair on a piece to inaccurate piecing to smell of smoke in a piece), I will have my personal e-mail address and phone number available to discuss and vent. I believe that any obstacle can be overcome as long as we work together.

If you want to see how we started last year:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg0920552018278.html

To look at how we finished last year's Round Robin, check out this link:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg030939201972.html

Please post if you want to participate, which type you would like to participate in (or both), and if you have a preferred theme in mind (or something you prefer NOT to work on -- Halloween was a no-no for one person last year, but it was not a problem for anyone).

Thanks for considering participating this year. Hope to have a lot of interest!

In stitches,

Odessa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round Robin 2010-2011 Edition

I would love to participate this year. I would not want to see mine until it is finished. The surprise is the best part of it in my opinion.

Jackie

o

I agree! The surprise was the most fun part!

This is a great opportunity to be creative and to get to know some of your fellow quilters better.

o

Odessa,
When do you think the "start" date will be that everyone will need to have their center block ready to send? I loved watching the posts last year but am not sure if I can do this or not?
Thanks!
Sue

o

I would love to participate!! You all had so much fun, & we certainly enjoyed reading the posts. Towards the end when the clues were getting pretty crazy was exceptionally hysterical! If you quilt as well as you tease, then everyone ended up with a masterpiece!!
I agree w/Jackie & Kate that the surprise is half the fun, I would not want to see mine until finished. The round robin sounds more appealing to me than the row robin - just a personal choice.

o

It was so much fun last year!!!! I encourage anyone that hasn't done one to jump on board. I will be unable to join in with all the wedding stuff going on. But I will be following the fun.

Vicky

o

O, Goodie! More people to play with! Yay!

Sue, to answer your question, I'm thinking that we could make the first mailing of our centers on or about Sept. 7th (the day after Labor Day). That will give everyone plenty of time to consider what they want, get their center made, and have it ready to go. Will that give you enough time to participate? The date can be flexible ... I just wanted to get this posted to get people thinking about it now, giving plenty of time to create.

Vicky, I'm so glad you enjoyed it last year. I really enjoyed working on your piece (and still dream of making changes to what I added, can you believe it???). I understand the wedding plans/preparation will be your focus for the next while, so we will miss you, but I know you'll be cheering us on from the sidelines. Thanks for your input.

So, to sum up for now, we have the following:

Odessa - yes
Jackie - yes
Kate - is that a yes?
Sue - maybe ... still considering
Quiltpartner - yes
Vicky - watching from the sidelines this time

Is there anyone else who wants to play? It is really a lot of fun, and stretching the creative cells in our brains is always a hoot. Come on folks, get to know your quilting friends! Join in the fun!

Odessa

o

I really want to say yes, but I'm still on the fence. I want to see this continue so if you are short on participants I may do it but I have a lot of prior commitments this Fall. If you weren't starting until January I would be in for sure! LOL.

You mentioned doing a regular round robin and also a row robin but I think you could combine them. The original quilter could specify that they would prefer a border added or a row. I'm thinking a wall hanging size with a row of 6" blocks added wouldn't be any more fabric or work than a border, right?

For now, I'm still....

Kate

o

Kate, somehow I had imagined you as more of a brunette! lol

Yes, we could simply have the participant specify whether or not they would prefer a "round" or a "row" be added. No problems there. And I DID say that the start date could be flexible ...

That being said, as I recall you just would take those packages and turn them around so quickly, I am failing to comprehend the problem adding just ONE MORE THING to your plate!!!! I seem to remember that I was the one who was dragging along, not getting finished timely ....

ah, well, you do bring up an interesting issue: when to begin. While the current target date is Sept. 7th, we can just as easily move the date into October or even November, but then I worry that we get into procrastinating so much that we lose interest/people get too busy.

So you just sit there on your fence, girl, and contemplate how you will turn these things around and get rid of your issues to participate this time. Okie-Dokie? ;->

And how are the howitzers looking in their new home? Have you finished your RR quilt yet?

Odessa

o

Oh, goody, goody,

I've been waiting for this post. I had so much fun reading your progress last year!
Count me in on the round robin. Maybe if the start dates were staggered, it would be easier to do both?

o

Kate,

After seeing what you did on last yrs' RR, I am HOPING you WORK THIS IN!! Your work is awesome * I'd love to have you a part of my quilt:)

Odessa,
Would it be possible to get started w/one round before the holidays? Starting most anytime is OK w/me, but I'm wondering how busy we all get between mid-Nov & Jan 1? It might be nice to have our center plus one round/row in before the heydey begins. How did you handle the holidays last yr? Just a thought, but I'll admit my mind is in a blur 'cuz all I can think about is how to work my center!! lol

o

OK - you guys are talking me into this. But there's no way I can have something ready to send out by Sept 7. I still have 2 lap quilts to start AND finish by Aug 10, plus the binding on the king quilt. Then there's the lotto blocks and birthday blocks too. I'm WAY behind on the BOM hand applique and hopelessly behind on the seasonal challenge, which I was loving. I have Spring, Summer, Fall and Christmas all planned out but no time to work on them. It's crazy to add something else this year but I don't want to miss out on the fun of the Round Robin either.

How did we handle the holidays last year? I think we were doing about 1 border every 4-6 weeks, then didn't do much of anything between Thanksgiving and January. Mostly, we caught up pretty quickly after the holidays but there was some delay. It's hard when the project loses steam and slows down too much. I think the fun we were having and the joking we were doing did keep it all moving along. The project needs cheerleaders so even those that don't participate should join in the fun and post comments!

Kate

o

Yippee! Another player!

Okay, so now we have:

Odessa - yes
Jackie - yes
Kate - still fence-sitting ... mulling it over ...
Quiltpartner - yes
Kay_in_pa - yes

As for the start date, that is flexible. Once we have a definite number to start with, we can work on selecting a date. I arbitrarily picked Sept. 7 just because I think that was when we started last year (right around the 1st/Labor Day). But we can move that date without too many issues I think.

Actually, I am thinking about how to work my center, also: what do I want it to look like? What colors do I want to use? piecing or applique? or a combination? methods? paper pieced? traditional? artsy? My mind races ..... Quick! someone please tell that hamster to stop or his legs will fall off!!!!

Odessa

o
RE: Round Robin -- another sucker! err... player!

Kate! Glad you're aboard! (we must have posted at almost the same time) Don't worry, we'll come up with a good date for everyone to play .....

You're right, we were originally doing a round about every 3 weeks, but that stretched into 4/5 weeks. Then Thanksgiving hit and I was working on yours and as you know it was a mighty ambitious round for me..... I discovered the beauty of some terrific applique, but also found out that my old eyes are just not what they used to be, and my speed was sacrificed for beauty ... I liked the round I did, but wanted to do so much more with it.....

Anyway, it was not too long after the holidays when we picked up again and got back on track. And poor Marie was snowed in! When I got the last package from her it had Michelle's quilt AND Vicky's, so I had the last 2 to work on in my house at the same time! Talk about inducing pressure ;->

But it all worked out in the end and it was quite the learning experience. What fun it was to work on all of them! And the posted clues we gave ... well, I never laughed so hard some days! There were times I had to force myself to NOT read the thread during work hours because I would just giggle and giggle ... talk about nasty looks from the co-workers!

So now we have:

Odessa - yes!
Jackie - yes!
Kate - yes!
Quiltpartner - yes!
Kay_in_pa - yes!

Any other takers?

o

I'm thinking about this but the start date is putting a damper on my thoughts. I probably won't be back home until mid (or later) October. If there's a second group with a later starting date, it might be more of an incentive, at least for me.......sigh. (What in the world do I think I'm doing!?)

SharonG/FL

o

Oh, Sharon, jump on in! Start date will be decided based on what everyone decides/needs. Maybe we can move the start date to mid-November? Would that work for you? That will also satisfy quiltpartner's request to get at least one round in before the holidays. I would not be adverse to having the centers mailed around Nov. 15th (opening day of rifle deer hunting season here in Michigan). Anyone else want to chime in?

Odessa

o

Maybe it isn't so much the start date but when the first round needs to be completed and sent on that's bothering me. I think what I want to use for a center is already made. @:)

ok.....count me in.....I'll work it out.

SharonG/FL

o

Yea!

o

I'll be watching from the side lines. Maybe next time? I'm having such a hard time getting anything accomplished lately. Plus, there are some things around the house that we've been neglecting that need to get finished. We do a lot of DIY and it can be time consuming (but very rewarding).

o

Okay, here's an update:

Odessa - yes!
Jackie - yes!
Kate - yes!
Quiltpartner - yes!
Kay_in_pa - yes!
SharonG - yes!
lafonda ranch - cheering us on from the sidelines

Start date/send our your center: TBA

We can certainly do 2 groups if we get a few more takers ... it really is a fun swap ... you'll make new friends ... and learn a lot about yourself in the process ... and did I mention it's really fun? ...

Odessa

o

Maybe it will encourage some other quilters to see what the instructions from someone in the group might be. Last time we had a bit of everything, so it's wide open for whatever you want your quilt to be.

Here's what I'm thinking about using for the instructions with mine, inspired by the Hawaiian Shirt pattern magothyrivergirl recently posted:

"Row by row the tropical fun builds!
Water, stars, birds, sunshine, beaches or beachballs... anything you want to add in sunny shades, tropicals or cool water blues & greens.
Keep it fun and easy! Promise not to stress over this any more than you would stress about which pair of favorite flip flops you want to wear to the beach.
I've started it off with a quartet of little paper pieced Hawaiian shirt blocks (8"), but any style you choose is OK: pieced, applique, blocks or strips.
Add your row to the top or the bottom, but not the sides because this will be a tall, narrow wall hanging for the entryway by my front door.
"

Creative thoughts running wild yet? Hope so!

Kate

o

Oh, Kate, that's just perfect! I can just see your WH now ... it's going to be lovely. (and you said you didn't have time for this yet ..... HA! I knew you'd find a way to fit it in.)

I haven't decided on mine yet ... maybe I'll take last year's autumn applique and make it a winter scene ... maybe a really tricky pieced something-or-other, maybe just a nice 4-square of something. I like the idea of posting what we're thinking of sending. You're right, it may very well encourage others to give it a shot.

Also, don't think you have to be the best, top-notch quilter in the group! We take ALL LEVELS OF SKILL, from beginner to expert. This swap is a good way to discover new techniques, and to ultimately make you a better piecer/quilter/appliquer/problem solver. Remember, this is supposed to be for fun, so no pressure!

If anyone has any questions that we can answer, feel free to post them here, or you can send me a private message/e-mail and I will happily attempt to help. (And while I can't speak for her, Kate may also be able to help answer questions, too. She's an amazing person to know and also very knowledgeable about quilting and has tremendously creative ideas. :->)

Odessa

o

I wrote this yesterday - to think on it before posting - now I see Kate may be on the same page.

"I am interested in considering a Row Robin - I haven't climbed the fence to be on the fence yet ~LOL. And 3 weeks is not enough time for me to receive, think (that's the hardest part), shop & sew - and oh yeah - keep my job.

So, maybe if there is some interest in a Row, with a bit more time in between the rows, and even smaller would be okay - I could maybe commit. See, I really am just climbing that fence - sorry:) but maybe some of you are in the same position, that an easier (Row) with a longer timeframe could make the difference. I personally need a less demanding commitment & I think more time & a row vs a round would be helpful because I think it would be easier - I don't think size is the issue - Anyone else want to participate in a Row Robin only?? "

o

Just so you know... adding a border doesn't need to take any longer than a row would, so I still think we can do a mix. With a border, all you really need to do is maybe make something interesting in the corners and add a strip of fabric. Most borders will be only 3 or 4 inches, while a row will be more like 6, 8, or 10 inches. With a Row Robin you are making blocks (probably) while with the Round Robin, just borders. I agree that 3 weeks is too fast and it was only the first one of ours that went that fast. The timing is flexible and completely dependent on the people in the group. There's nothing here to be afraid of, concerned about or apprehensive about - it's fun and as easy or as hard as you want to make it!

o

I like the idea of sharing our thoughts on our centers - one persons' creativity can spark anothers'. I'm not set in stone yet, but will probably do a pieced & appliqued center w/a sewing/quilting theme. I can then hang it in my sewing room & think of you all from the QF! :)

Odessa, my thought of having a section done before the holidays was just that - a thought. Whatever works for the majority will work for me, too.
Glad to see more are interested in joining! Such fun we will all have!!:)

o

Im very interested, but also very ambivalent. I loved following the RR last year, and after the final pictures were posted I studied them and thought about borders I would like to create if I had been participating. But that is my problem, I can think about what to make, but my skill level doesnt quite match the images in my head. Additionally, I dont have much time to quilt, so Im more than a little nervous about committing to something like this.

On-the-fence-Lola

o

I can be in a Row group if there's enough interest.

Kate, Thanks for the info to send.

SharonG/FL

o

Odessa -
Please count me in :D I had a great time on the last one and got to see some amazing talent! I know I wont have time to do both - although I want to! but with going back to school and everything else, I don't want to spread my time to thin :)

Thanks for hosting again!
Marie

o
re: round robin 2010-2011 edition - update alert

Hello All,

Well, so far we have these in the "yes" group:
Odessa
Jackie
Kate [row]
Quiltpartner
Kay_in_pa
SharonG [row]
Marie (welcome back!)

Here is the fence-sitting/maybe list:
Sue
magothyrivergirl - fence-sitting [row]
Lola99 - also fence-sitting

And the cheerleader section will be made up of:
Vicky
lafonda ranch

Amount of time allowed for each round/row: TBA

Special note to Lola (and everyone biting their nails, wondering whether or not they are ready for this kind of swap): do not worry about your skill level. This swap is a great way to help boost your creativity. Sometimes the piece arrives and what it really needs is a "quiet place" for the eye to rest. In that case, a very simple one-fabric strip border is all that is needed. I realize that may sound a little boring, but you can have the best skills in the world and until you learn how to "edit" what to add to a piece, those skills are just that: skills. It is in the editing that the artistry comes out.

Take a look back at the "end results" of last year's efforts and you will see rounds that are simply squares. The first round on Marie's cowboy silhouette was just going to be setting triangles, but it appeared a little too plain (and I wanted to challenge myself), so I added a circular flying geese border. Yes, the piecing was tricky, but it added movement to the piece and yet, there was plenty of calm "white space" around it for the eye to rest.

I would not advocate doing something you are not ready for, but use the kind of piecing you are most comfortable with. What you add to the different centers coming to you is priceless, and only you can make the decision of what to add at that time.

Really, we're a pretty friendly group. And this is a fun swap, so please consider joining us. I promise we will allow plenty of time for working on the rows/rounds.

This will be such fun!

Odessa

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st RR finished photos

o

I watched your round robin last year and loved it. I would love to be in the row robin this year. I am thinking of rows of houses, barns, flowers, picket fence, stars, etc.. I can't wait to see what everyone will add, maybe none of my ideas!
Linda

o

Okay, I'm in for a row robin. I know - I haven't finished my BOM nor my quarterly seasonal challenge, Sharon. But no one suffers in those two but me when it's not done.

This one would have deadlines pushing me along and I love to be creative. To design my own row on each person's quilt is intriguing. I'd prefer a start later than Sept 7th.

o

In the "yes" group:
Odessa
Jackie
Kate [row]
Quiltpartner
Kay_in_pa
SharonG [row]
Marie (welcome back!)
Linda [row]
Toolgranny [row]

The fence-sitting/"maybe" list:
Sue
magothyrivergirl - fence-sitting [row]
Lola99 - also fence-sitting

Cheerleader section:
Vicky
lafonda ranch

Welcome lindaoh and toolgranny! Glad you're aboard. I'm leaning toward a start date near election day (Nov. 9th or so). Would that be okay with everyone?

Odessa

o

November is fine with me. If there is enough, I would rather do a round-robin, but will do the row if we can only have one group.

Jackie

o

November fine with me and I'll do either one.

o

It looks like we might have enough participants to do a row and a round, without combining them! I'm glad to see so many people interested. I'm sure you would never be sorry you participated!

Kate

o

Okay ---stop twisting my arm!!!!! I'm in - Row Robin only, providing the turn around time is longer than 3 weeks.
The Nov start date is good for me.

I agree we have enough participants to do both! A few more would be nice.

I have been looking at pictures of Row Robins and came across some Guidelines which express my suggestions clearly regarding size parameters. It is clear, concise and I think may be helpful.
Odessa-Is it okay to email them to you at the address I have for the BD blocks for you to review?

o

Do they all have to be the same size? Or are you concerned about someone wanting something too large? I have to admit that I think Odessa's original suggestion of six 12" blocks for the rows is too much. I like the idea of these being lap or wall hanging sized quilts. If the original quilter wants them larger then they can add blocks or borders at the end to make them bed-sized.

Kate

o

If I join, Im interested in the round robin, not the row (but Id be happy to work on a row quilt if we mix it up). As far as the start time goes, winter/spring is the busiest time of the year for me, so Id rather start sooner. Is anyone interested in starting earlier? If so, could the two groups start at different times? If everyone else wants the start date in Nov Ill just have to figure out if I can handle it.

Lola

o

Yes Kate - I don't care for the 12" X 6 blocks across & 8 rows (people) =96" X 72" before finishing.

I suggest:
Parameters-- Row only:
Owner decides Vertical or Horizontal Rows. All rounds must follow this lead.
Row width (height for vertical): not to exceed 48"
Row height for each row (width for vertical): no smaller than 5.5", no larger than 16.5". Try to balance the overall size of the rows based on the request of the owner. (Example - tall skinny wallhanging)
#of Rows : based on Participants-minimum of 5.
If you want to do 2 smaller rows for design continuity - okay.
This allows for a smaller wall hanging, as the owner sets the size.
What I like about the Row Robin quilts is the diversity of the different sizes of the 'blocks & rows' & methods of construction.

These are only my thoughts on the sizes - anyone else?
The Guidelines I referenced had some good overall ideas.

I am looking forward to doing this over the winter.

o

-- The first round on Marie's cowboy silhouette was just going to be setting triangles, but it appeared a little too plain (and I wanted to challenge myself), so I added a circular flying geese border.--

Let me tell you, it was worth all her frustrations! I absolutly LOVE my quilt! Everyone added just the right touch :D I thought about adding a bit more to make it twin size but I can't come up with anything that wouldn't take away from the original art. It is about 46" x 46" and perfect for setting on the couch with in the coming winter months.

I have decided to do the ROUND. I do love the idea of adding barns and such for a row one but don't want to take anyones idea's. Maybe I will have to do one of my own to work on from time to time LOL Now I need to come up with an idea for my center....

As per the start time - what ever works for everyone else is fine with me.

Marie

o

Wow! You gals have been thinking about this little project, haven't you? That is excellent! Yes, rivergirl, go ahead and e-mail those guidelines to me. I'd like to see them.

I am happy to make whatever adjustments may be necessary for row/block size on the row robin. I was thinking that perhaps the originator may want a bed-size piece in the end. But whatever you all decide will be fine with me; these are your pieces, after all. That's the beauty of this swap, you get something really interesting in the end.

So how about an update?

In the "yes" group - Row Robin:

Kate
SharonG
Linda
Toolgranny
magothyrivergirl

"Yes" - no preference or Round Robin:
Odessa
Jackie
Quiltpartner
Kay_in_pa
Marie (welcome back!)

The fence-sitting/"maybe" list:
Sue
Lola99 - [round] (debating on time frame)

Cheerleader section:
Vicky
lafonda ranch

If I have any of this info wrong, please let me know. I'm trying to keep track of all of it, but want to make sure I have it right.

I LOVE all the interest in this swap!

Odessa

o

I can start earlier or later. So if a group wanted to start early, that is fine.

Jackie

o
RE: Round Robin 2010-2011 - Am I nuts?

I'm considering doing both. :-) Am I just a glutton for punishment??? Is anyone else in my boat?

o

I also would consider both, especially if the start dates were a big staggered.

o

Odessa ~ you've got mail!

Oh yes, please, please stagger the start dates so these fine quilters will join the Row Group as well...please, please.....

o

I'm interested in wallhanging size and will work on either row or round. I'd like the one I start (that I'll own at the end) to be a row but I'll sew on any in the fashion the owner prefers. I love the idea of creating a design based on what is handed me.

I assume if I'd like a particular background fabric, I can send that fabric along with my center.

o

I'm okay with wall hanging size - what size do you recommend for the width? Including some of your own fabric was one of the suggestions in the Guidelines.
I feel the excitement building:)

o

Look at some of these pictures of round robin quilts that I found! I'm getting excited...

(I found the picture on a blog http://springflingroundrobin2008.blogspot.com/)

Here is a link that might be useful: round robin quilts

o

In the last one some of us sent fabric along for the others to use; or not use - it was completely up to them. But mostly we just sent them out and waited for the mystery to unfold. This is not a project to enter thinking that you're going to have much control! It's a fun exercise in creativity and sharing.

Guidelines are good but I don't think the rules should be too specific.

o

My Row is ready......it's 24" wide and will be a wallhanging. The only guideline is that I want it to Shriek Feminine. Technique is in your hands along with glitzing up my row, or your row, if you desire.

Odessa, Is it ok if I send this to you before I leave so you'll have it and I won't have to think about it when I get back?

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon, she'll probably want you to send it to someone in your row group instead, so hold off on sending it until you hear from Odessa.

Kate

o

Well, you've all been pretty busy, thinking, and researching and sewing, haven't you?

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday when you were all postting like made ... have been dealing with a "bug" issue at home, and it is driving me nuts. Just thought I'd pop in and see what's up.

Marsha, I got the guidelines you sent. They're a good start, but I will likely "revise/amend" them for our purposes. Thanks so much; it will be helpful.

For anyone who is unsure, don't worry. The guidelines I'll send to everyone will include both row robin and round robin instructions. I think the mailing dates will likely be staggered every two weeks: i.e., row robin mailed on the 1st, round robin mailed on the 15th. That way we'll have people mailing while others are working, and some will be sewing while others are mailing. Also, if you are planning to do each, you won't have them both arriving at the same time.

Before we begin, I will get everyone's mailing address, e-mail address and phone numbers. That way I can create a round list for each group. So far it appears we'll have at least 2 groups, maybe 3. Whatever group(s) you belong to, you will always mail TO the same person every time, and you will always receive FROM the same person every time. That way you will always know what to anticipate. More guidelines will be given later.

SharonG, don't worry; we're not going to start just yet. Soon, but not just yet. We'll be discussing start dates soon; when will you be gone and when are you returning?

Thanks everyone. Keep yourselves tuned in for more info to come!

Odessa

o

If we stagger the dates - I want to do both. Still love the barn/animals and such idea for the row. Still undecided for the center of the other - but I have this lovely purple pasley fabric that I have been saving for myself (yes, I love purple LOL) and I want to use it in what ever I decide on.

A lady I know here gave me 30+ samples of upolstery fabic yesterday that I am making purse & bags out of - I finished 4 of them yesterday afternoon :D I am now looking for some bigger snap's for closures for them - off to Michaels.....

Marie

o

It looks to me like about four of the people are willing/able to start relatively soon, and about four would prefer to start later, and the rest seemed flexible. Can we start one group in September or October? I would definitely be "in" if we can start one group soon.

Im fine mixing up the groups working on a row or a round but I think based on peoples preferences it seems like the people who wanted to start later generally were the row group, and the people who were willing to start sooner generally were the round group.

Lola

o

Well, I've already started - the thinking part. We have to do the first part ourselves and decide on a plan, right? So guess I'd better start soon. I'm a bit slow.

o

I can do a "sooner", and by staggering the dates through the months, I'd love to do both. You're right, imagination is going wild. I have about a dozen ideas that I'm trying to narrow down pending a look at the final rules/guidelines! Doesn't matter which starts first, row or round, but depending on who's doing which, that might influence start dates, too.

I've also been wondering about a "combo"... if the originator sends a center square, but intends to finish it to a rectangle, could instructions be included that somewhere along the way the rows to shape it to a rectangle would be fine? This would give more flexibility to at least one of the people working on it.

o

Just for the record: as a Quilter of the Row Tribe, I can start any time after August. I could even have my row ready to send around the end of the 1st full week in September. That gives us 8 weeks. I'm OK with later than that, but that's the earliest I think I can commit to.

Kate

o

kay_in_pa,

We had one last time that started with a rectangle because she was going to use hers as a bed quilt. So that would be a way for you to get a rectangle in the end, if that's what you wanted.

I hope you are all thinking of what you want to do. It's only July, but we'll be starting soon enough ......

Odessa

o

HELLO EVERYONE

I'm finaly back online, we moved into the new house last weeek and the internet just got hooked up today.

I would like to join this one, I want to do a row robin, I can try to have a row done by mid to late august. my sewing machene is still packed so I need to get it in.
I have my own sewing room now, it is small but it is my own.

thanks for starting this one

michelle

o

Welcome back, Michelle! Congrats on getting your own sewing room!

Kate

o

Hey, Michelle! I'll bet your cozy new sewing room is full of inspiration! Love to have you on board.

I am hopeful that at some point over the weekend I will be able to post an updated list with a few more parameters. We can start to think about the guidelines we'll be following.

In the meantime, please let me know the following:

* when you would be able to have your center/1st row ready to go so we can begin to think about dates

*If you are planning to do both types, also let me know if you have a preference for which you'd like to begin first.

* Finally, if you are planning to participate, please send me an e-mail with your address and any other information you find pertinent including your current ideas for your "theme".

Speaking of "theme", here are some thoughts: it can be based on color (blues, reds, greens, red/white, tan/brown, you get the idea ...), it can be an idea (fall, winter, Christmas, cats/dogs), it can be based on a focus fabric or fabric style (1930's repros, civil war repros, paisley), you can do just about anything you want. Last year, we had one that was based on hunting/fishing, one that began with a fall scene, one that was a cowboy silhouette, one that began with a fussy-cut butterfly, and one that was "winter" but not necessarily Christmas. Also, one person requested no Halloween be used (not something she could work on). You can also specify somewhat about the fabrics that others may use (i.e., I prefer ecru/ivory over white; although it's a "fall" quilt, please don't use too much orange, it's not my favorite color; although I love Thimbleberries, you don't have to stick to it completely).

Guidelines to be posted soon!

Odessa

o

Yay me! I finished my center yesterday! I am anxious to see how this turns out. I will be sending you an email Odessa.

Jackie

o

You finished your center already!?!?!?! I've barely started planning mine! You are an inspiration to the rest of us!

o

Odessa quilts, I have sent you an email to sign up for the Round Robin. ColleenNY

o

okay, I think I am ready to jump off the fence and jump in.
We are still traveling (since July 7 and won't be home until August 12/14 time frame)and have had limited internet access. I would prefer a later start date.

I can go either way - round robin or row, I haven't decided yet - but count me in! DH just rolls his eyes.

I'll check back next internet time.

Sue

o

hello
I have not evan planed mine yet.
I know I want to do a row robin and my subject is chickens, eather appliquet or on the fabric. if you don't have any chickens a nice country fabric that goes well with the other fabrics used would be fine.
I know I will not be ready with my row till late august.

michelle

o

Sorry but I'll have to reverse this one and back out. I think it would be fun but we have some elder care situations and family issues that might make it hard for me to keep up so I think it's better not to start at all.

I'll be with you all in spirit.

Linda

o

I have my row one drawn out (sort of) but need to know what the limit on sizes are for both. I can't find where it was decided either way - sorry ;)

Marie

o

Linda, Sorry you have to back out, but certainly understand. Caring for the elderly makes it difficult to make plans, but family does come first.

Marie, My row is going to be a wallhanging so it's only 24" wide at this time. I'll put a border/s on it when it's completed. Should be easier to mail, too.

Nother question.....rules on mailing? Flat Rate envelope? Confirmation?

Guess this sounds like I'm still here, eh? GW seems to be faster for me now. Don't know what they did, but so far so good.....and it isn't all AVG because GW is the ONLY place I've had trouble. I think GW needs to run their scans more often.

SharonG/FL

o

It's strange that this posted as I got a screen that said 500 ERROR when I hit the submit button. oh well.....

o

Glad you are still here Sharon.
Linda

o

I haven't even started mine - too busy.

I also need the rules - and more important to me is the date it all begins & the turn around time frame for each round. I still work (business owner) so the time determines if I am able to commit & participate as I hoped.

Linda, sorry about your elder care situation. All "family care" is stressful.....
hope all goes well for you.

Both my Macs keep crashing - only on GW when I try to post. It has to be GW! Very frustrating for me.
It is keeping me from posting. This is my 6th attempt to post this msg -I finally emailed it to another computer to post.

o

Sorry I haven't posted much lately, everyone. With the primary election here in Michigan on Aug. 3, my office is incredibly busy and I get home totally sapped of energy. My boss is running for District Court Judge in our County, and there are 4 others vying for the same position. Many twists and turns and it may get even uglier before it's all over with. Suffice to say, this could be a campaign that completely turns me off politics completely, but I feel so strongly about voting. How interesting this situation is. But I digress .....

At any rate, we've got a LOT of interest in this swap this time. And for that I am really excited. There have been a couple of questions that I will attempt to answer now.

SIZE: you determine the size of your piece. If you are doing a row robin, the length of your initial row will determine either the height or the width of the piece you end up with (depending on whether you want your rows to be vertical or horizontal). Therefore, if you want a bed-size quilt, you determine the longest measurement (either width or height), and plan your row accordingly. You need to remember that there may only be 3 or 4 others in your group (I haven't yet got them together), so you should try to plan so you get the maximum effect without having to do a ton of creating when you get your quilt back.

START DATES: Because it looks as if we may have 3 groups going this time, start dates can be a determining factor in who is in what group. I am thinking that one group will likely start in early November, another in mid-October, and the third later in September. Does that sound okay for you?

TIME TO COMPLETE YOUR ROUND/ROW: This is something of an individual thing. Some of us work faster, some slower. As long as you communicate with each other in your group and let everyone know what is going on, this will all work out in the end. We can all be very understanding if there is something preventing you from speeding along. Just remember that you do not have to match someone else's pace. Just do your best to get your row or round done in a reasonably timely fashion and it will work out.

That being said, I would think that you should be able to get your work done on a piece within 3-4 weeks. The earlier rounds (round robin) will be smaller and will likely take less time to complete. The larger the piece becomes, it will take a bit more time.

Just food for thought.

RULES/GUIDELINES: I am working on these, but they are not quite ready yet. I hope to have them finalized by the end of next week or even sooner.

After that, we'll get the groups together and create some amazing pieces!

Any further questions, let me know!

Odessa

o

Odessa,

Not sure how the QF works technically, but hoping that when you post the rules, groups, start dates & other important particulars that it could be on a new thread. Scrolling down thro all the posts so far is time-consuming (read:annoying:)
Also not sure how we are contacting you about our interest on type,start date,etc. I don't have a preference as to start date, so if it makes it easier to balance out groups based on SD, I'm flexible & can 'go' anywhere. I do only want to do the round robin tho, have done the row thing before.
I saw the questions re:mailing & just wondered - did you use delivery confirmation w/your last RR? I know any type of confirmation has a fee attached, but the delivery confirmation does not require a signature - which can be a problem for those who aren't always home when their mail is delivered. I imagine confirmation is fairly important, & insurance could be up to the 'owner'? Despite the fact that postage will be increasing the first of the year, to me it's a small thing. Postage/insurance/confirmation...costs are just part of the whole project. I'm not going to let the PO keep me from doing this very awesome & fun experience!!
Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now... ;-);-)

o

Quiltpartner,

I hope to answer some of your most recent questions and hopefully this will help.

Not sure how the QF works technically, but hoping that when you post the rules, groups, start dates & other important particulars that it could be on a new thread. Scrolling down thro all the posts so far is time-consuming (read:annoying:)

Try this: When you get to the "page" with the Round Robin info, wait for it to open and then press the "end" key on your keyboard. That will take you to the bottom of the thread and you can use the "page up" key to bump up to the last thing you haven't read yet. Much quicker than endless scrolling. That will help you with THIS thread, but when we start the individual groups, we will have new thread(s) for each group. All the particulars will be covered in the guidelines, I promise.

Also not sure how we are contacting you about our interest on type,start date,etc. I don't have a preference as to start date, so if it makes it easier to balance out groups based on SD, I'm flexible & can 'go' anywhere. I do only want to do the round robin tho, have done the row thing before.
Just send me an e-mail through the GW site with your info. I am keeping track of what everyone wants to do, preferred start dates, addresses (snail and electronic), etc. When the groups are set participants will each get their own master list for their particular group and you will be able to work from that.

I saw the questions re:mailing & just wondered - did you use delivery confirmation w/your last RR? I know any type of confirmation has a fee attached, but the delivery confirmation does not require a signature - which can be a problem for those who aren't always home when their mail is delivered. I imagine confirmation is fairly important, & insurance could be up to the 'owner'? Despite the fact that postage will be increasing the first of the year, to me it's a small thing. Postage/insurance/confirmation...costs are just part of the whole project. I'm not going to let the PO keep me from doing this very awesome & fun experience!!

Last year, we never considered that the Post Office would have any difficulty with delivering our packages and in light of several negative experiences recently, in retrospect we were very fortunate. I am recommending that this year everyone send a small notebook along with their original piece where you make notes to your group, and everyone in turn can also make notes regarding their process, thoughts, etc. In that book, you can certainly request that the rest of your group please include postage confirmation as they prepare for mailing. You are right in recognizing that a P.O. problem can ruin the experience for all of us.

For the most part, a large envelope is plenty big enough to use for mailing these projects, especially if folded to fit well. Anyone who is concerned about mailing may wish to speak with their favorite postal clerk for advice on this issue to help avoid any potential problem.

If there is any other question I can answer, please let me know.

Linda, thanks for letting me know you will be dropping out. This should be a really fun swap and if it taxes you to get it done it becomes more chore and less fun. Please feel free to stop in and check out our progress. We'll miss you, but perhaps you will be in a better place to get involved next time!

o

Odessa - I just sent you an email!

Kate

o

Thanks for all the answers Odessa! Tried the 'end' key & it works great! Nice to know you can still teach an old dog new tricks!! lol

o

Hello everyone,

I have finally made every last little "tweak" to the guidelines and am ready to send these out to each of you. If you haven't already, please send me a private message or an e-mail so I can get this information to you.

I think once you receive the guidelines it will be helpful. I have had a few "experts" read through them to make sure they make sense, and also to insure I have covered everything. However, if you have questions, please let me know and I will advise.

Odessa

o
guidelines!

Well, the guidelines are ready. I have sent an e-mail to the following:

jackier123
kay_in_pa
wynative
k8orlando
geezerfolks
magothyrivergirl
lola99
colleenny
polardream
quiltpartner

I do not have e-mail addresses for the following, so you need to send me a message with your e-mail address so I can get you the guidelines:

lindaoh
miceyrey

If there are any other questions, let me know! We'll be starting soon!

Odessa

o

Odessa, I sent you the info this morning.
Linda OH

o

I emailed my information today.
Sue/polardream

o

Well, I have received the requested information from nearly everyone so far. It appears we will have 2 groups of Row Robins, and one Round Robin.

I expect one will start in September (likely around the 18th?), probably one of the Row groups. There will be one in October (probably the Round group), and one in November (the other Row group).

I plan to send each participant an e-mail that will provide each of you the names and order of your group (you will always send TO the same person, and receive FROM the same person).

There has been a question about size. If you are planning a Round Robin, my best suggestion is to make your center somewhere in the 12" - 18" range. Any bigger and your quilt will likely end up quite large. Any smaller, and it may be difficult for the first few rounds.

If there are any other questions, you all have my e-mail address; feel free to reach me that way and I will make every attempt to get back to you quickly.

I'm looking forward to this; I hope you all are, too.

Odessa

o

Odessa,
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say a HUGE THANK YOU!!!!! for organizing this! Obviously many of us were wanting to do a RR - & you took it on. You are giving us all the opportunity to have such fun over the next many months - being creative & sharing our love of quilting with each other! May you be extra blessed for being such a gift to us!!:)

We love ya!!
~Cindy

o

I couldn't agree more with Cindy's comments. THANK YOU Odessa!

Lola

o

o

Awwwwwwwwww, shucks, y'all.......

You're making me blush .....

And on a day when I really needed the pat on the back. I really appreciate it.

You had better check your e-mails; I'm sending out some info to make sure I have the "right stuff" before assigning groups. If any of it is wrong, please advise as quickly as you are able.

Odessa

o

I am amazed at the responses I've gotten from all of you. Thanks for helping me to get the information compiled. I am still waiting to hear from the following:

kay_in_pa
wynative
polardream

I think once I have that information, we can get rolling.

I will say that the info I have is incredible....some of these themes are very thoughtful and rather inventive. This year's swap is going to be such fun !

Odessa

o

I am interested in the round robin if it's not to late. I've never done one before but it sounds like fun. I am a beginner so I am a little concerned that I won't measure up (no pun intended) but I would love to participate and learn. What do I do now?

o

Hi Sewhappy and Welcome! Since you are new to the forum, can you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm Kate and have been on the quilt forum since 2007 (and the Florida Gardening forum since 1998!). I was one of the 5 who did the first Round Robin that Odessa coordinated for us and it was a blast. It was more about the fun we had and the creativity that we shared than about making heirloom quilts, so quilters of every skill level are welcome.

o

Hi Kate Thanks for the encouraging words. My name is Gena, I'm 42 and live in West Virginia. I've been quilting about 2 years and need to expand my learning skills from the basics. I would love to learn how to applique' and other fun things that you can do to make a quilt more than just a quilt. I was so excited when I found this website on the internet. I hope I can join the row and round robin you all are getting ready to start. It sounds like "sew" much fun. I hope I'm not to late. Haven't heard anything back yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here