Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round Robin 2009/10 Ends!

Posted by solstice98 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 9:39

We are getting very close to the end of this wonderful project. Everyone has the last quilt and is completing the final border. We've filled up the other thread on this topic so we'll use this one to coordinate shipping as soon as we are all done. And of course we'll post pictures of our wonderful, finished tops as they come back to us!

If you want to see how it all started and the conversations we had along the way, click here: Round Robin 2009 Begins!

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round Robin 2009/10 Ends!

To help us remember how we started, here's a picture from September 2009 of all the centers before we sent them on for their first borders. Thanks again to Odessa for bringing the group together and making this happen!

o

I cant wait to see the final results!!!

o

I can't wait to see pictures!!! I am so intimidated by a Round Robin that I probably will never join one, but love looking at the work of others and their ideas. You gals rock!

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon, you should not be intimidated! In our group of five, we had all different styles of preference, and different levels of skill and abilities. I think that you will be impressed by the finished products here, and it may give you ideas you had never considered.

The biggest problem I have had is time. I have so many other things that have come up since starting this little project that my efforts were delayed, which actually kept everyone else delayed. But I believe the efforts put forth (at least what I have seen) are fabulous, and I cannot wait to see the finished projects - especially Marie's which was the first one I handled. I am excited to see what everyone else did to that one.

Also, this has been a good exercise to "stretch the brain muscles". It's one thing to start with just a center, and come up with something to add to it. But after you get someone else's work added, you find that you may struggle creatively with how to make that which has come before all "tie in together" with what your vision is for the piece in front of you. I have nearly forgotten what my original piece looked like when I sent it on, so it will be very interesting to get it back and see what has happened to it.

It has just come to me that this is much like losing your luggage at the airport: you may safely reach your destination, which is a little po-dunk town two states away, while your luggage goes all over the country or even the world and has adventures you can only imagine. It returns with lots of interesting tags on it (or stamps in the passport) from the different locations it has been, and oh! can it tell you stories! So I am anxious to hear the stories my quilt will tell.

We will update when we are mailing and reveal date -- we would like to open on the same day and at roughly the same time so we can photograph and post pictures and have a lovely "cyber opening party". You're all invited to come and see what we get!

Thanks again to Vicky, Marie, Michelle and Kate for joining this journey with me. You are all intrepid travelers in this little journey and I am a better person for having had this experience with all of you. Thanks for making this awesome.

Odessa

o

Sharon, you do beautiful work! You should join the next one. You would love it, I'm sure. Borders don't have to be complicated or difficult. They don't need to contain rock star bunnies, flying robot catfish (or was it trout?!?) or even mechanized ballerinas in cowboy hats. Sometimes the exact thing a quilt needs is a couple simple rows to square it up, pull it together colorwise and get it ready for the next round. I was always afraid of jumping in to one too, but now that I've done it I can say with certainty that quilters of any level of experience and expertise could and should join in.

For those of you thinking of it, or just interested in some cool new borders, I've added a link to the border patterns available at the Quilters Cache website. I used "Flying Geese" on one that I did and "Entwined" on another - but you'll have to wait for the pictures to see which ones! ;~))

There are lots of Round Robin websites out there where you can get some ideas too. But even though I had plans for each one based on the original pictures, I discovered that you really have to wait until you get the center in your hands before you can decide what to do with it. That's part of the fun!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilterscache.com Borders

o

Well.....if Sharon is intimated to join a Round Robin....then I must be totally hiding under the covers too afraid to even peek out !!!! and almost nothing scares me to try, but it is the thought of messing up someone else's work.

Maybe we should try a Row by Row next. Do they work for Round Robins?

You guys had so much fun. I can't wait for the Virtual Reveal!

o

As I posted last week I am finished with Odessa's :) but my daughter is back in the hospital. They are unsure what is the problem but are looking at her Gall Bladder. We are hoping that is the problem and can get her back on her feet this week as we leave on vacation in 3 weeks. Depending on what is found, I will try to keep updated on the 'send out date'. We have a small hospital here and will have to go out of town if Meg is to have surgery. If this happen's, I will not have internet access (no lap top) but I will check back in as soon as possible.

Kate - just in case my life get's more crazy than it already is, will you please take a picture of mine before you send it back? Thanks!

Marie

o

So sorry Marie. Sending good vibes to your daughter - she (& you) have been thru alot. I hope you both get to go on that great trip!

o

Oh Marie, I'm so sorry to hear your news! That poor girl has had a hard time of it. I am hoping she will be well quickly and quickly enough for you to have your wonderful vacation with her in Hawaii!
Of course I'll be happy to take a picture of your quilt (actually, I already have!) and if necessary I can send you the picture and post it. But I'll keep hoping this illness is resolved quickly.

Kate

o

Oh, Marie, I'm so sad to hear your daughter is ill again. I hope they figure it out quickly and get her back on her feet again very soon.

Kate and I are both right: anyone can do this! Even someone with limited experience or piecing ability can do this. Some quilts just need a quiet place for the eye to rest. Sometimes the challenge isn't so much WHAT to do as what colors to use. This is a good exercise in color play.

If you're worried about wrecking someone's quilt, let me say that I don't think that anyone "ruined" a piece and I have seen them all at one time or another. We have tried to keep in touch through e-mails, and have had some good chats about why we used certain techniques, fabrics, etc. It has been a great deal of fun.

Yes, this would also work with a "Row Robin". That is where you start with one row, and others add a row in turn. I am not as familiar with those types of quilts and I am not certain it would be a format I could embrace as easily. But I would be willing to give it a try. I'm so visual and I really like the process of looking at a whole quilt and determining what it needs on all sides, as opposed to "what should the next row be?" Another exercise in keeping the creative brain active! Yay!

I would encourage everyone who is interested but afraid to go ahead and jump in to Round Robin 2.0. I would be willing to coordinate again, and I could group beginners with beginners or advanced with advanced if you would prefer, provided we have enough interest. Do not be afraid -- remember that quilters are incredibly giving people, and we would all be happy to include anyone in this effort. We all have to start somewhere after all. Should we count you in???

Odessa

o

Marie, I'm not familiar with your daughters story, but I hope they are able to find the problem and fix it quickly. I'll keep her in my prayers.

I'm also, so very excited to see the results of this. This is so new to me and I am also very intimidated! The lotto was scary enough!!

o

mmmmmm.... a Row Robin.... that could be interesting. I've never made a row-type quilt but it would be easier to set the size of the rows. Typically they are very traditional - I wonder if it would be difficult to translate them into something more contemporary? Yes, this is definitely interesting! I would do it.

If you search on Google Images you'll find lots of pictures of row quilts.

Kate

o

I'm done with mine and only need to know when to send it on to the owner :-)

I have done a row robin before we made 60 inch row and did not sew them together so the owner could decide how she wanted to arrange them. I did chickens/sunflowers for my first row and it turned out nicely.

Here's my first row. I can't show you the "quilt" because it's not done and my daughter has it to add a row to it. (I have to show her how to make grandmothers flower gardens so it's my fault shes not done with it.

row swap

star and chicken

o

Marie, I'm so sorry your daughter is continuing to have problems. If you do have to go out of town, most of the bigger hospitals have computers in the surgery waiting rooms for family members to use. Please keep us updated.

RE: Round Robins - I had an 'ugly' thought......I possibly would join and use the winning block Beverly sent me as the beginning medallion. *evil grin*

SharonG/FL

o

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! There still isn't any progress this morning - she is still in bad pain and can't keep any food or even water down :( We haven't seen the doctor yet but I am going to have him try some different things and hope for better results.

Vicky - I love your 'chicken strip' LOL I really like the idea of a Strip RR. I have been thinking about a really bright and wild quilt, this way everyone could use up those pieces of fabric that are just to crazy to go with anything else :)

Marie

o

Love the Chicken Strip!
If Odessa gets several people interested in the next one, maybe we can have one Row Robin and one regular Round Robin. I think I would sign up for the row this time, just for a change of pace because I've never done one.

Marie, I think if you want to send yours on to Odessa now that would be OK. I'm sure she'll promise not to open it until Opening Day. And I could send yours now so that if you have to leave town you could take the box with you. Does that sound like an OK alternative to our original plan?

Kate

o

Kate, that's a perfect solution and what a great idea! I can certainly be trusted to NOT open a package from Marie, and if Marie gives us the okie-dokie, we should go ahead and do that. Good solution. So Marie, just let us know if you'd like to do that.

As for row/round robin, that would be cool to do. I can sort by what a person would prefer to do -- rows or rounds. I will start a thread soon after we have our cyber-opening for this RR. Might be good to let the excitement die down just a bit before beginning another project.

Vicky, hold tight to that quilt ... I'm still working on yours, but it should be done by week's end. Love your funky chickens, by the way.

And Sharon G: if you want to use an "ugly" block for yours, just make sure you provide us with parameters when you send it: do you want us to make it even uglier? or make it beautiful? 'cuz us quilters can DO ANYTHING!

Odessa

o

hello
I would love to give a row robin a try, there is more you can do with a little wider space, my mind is buzzing already. I think I would have to go with a butterfly/flower theme, pinwheels could be used as flowers. hummm, you guies are going to get me into trouble, I want to do both round and row now. I have packed most all my stuff but told my hubby I can't pack the sewing stuff or my fabric stash, but I did buy fabric totes so they are sorta packed but I can still see what I have and can get to it. well I need to get some laundry done.
happy day everyone and marie best wishes to your doughter, it is not easy being a medical mystery, I have been there.
michelle

o

vicky - love your chicken R X R.

I wanted to post a picture of some Row x Row on Fatcat patterns - just some food for thought.

I think, if we do decide to do a Row Robin (is that the name?) we should attach the rows to stretch our creative minds. Placement of the rows would be up to the person at the time where to sew the next row. so, the original row would not necessarily be row #1. Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Row X Row

o

I would prefer to have the rows attached, too, but I think it would be OK for the originator of the quilt to decide if they want the rows attached or added randomly or if they would prefer to have their original row in the middle or on top. For the 2009/2010 Round Robin Odessa gave each of us the freedom to decide what color or theme or style of quilt we wanted and I like the way that worked. The styles were all so different!

o

Ladies,

Yes, I think I better send out Odessa's so that if something comes up, I wont be late :)

I will try to get it out tomorrow after Meg's tests are finished. I will let everyone know when it's on the way.
Marie

o

Marie,
Your top went out in the mail today by Priority Mail so you should have it in 2 or 3 days. You can open the shipping box if you want (there's a small gift for Meg in there too) but don't open the large black and silver gift bag because your quilt top is hiding inside that one!

I took a picture so if you need me to post it just let me know.

Good luck on Meg's tests!

Kate

o

Funny you should mention rows. My next wallhanging challenge project is done in rows.
Salijo

o

Marie,

I am sending you love, (((HUGS))), and blessings that Meg's tests go well and they discover the problem and can turn that into an easily fixable situation. I promise to hold the package from you until "opening day" and will surely gush like crazy when I see it.

We're here in your corner, girl. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Vicky - I have your center nearly finished. I am hopeful that today it will get completed and then I can mail to you. So, am I the final holdout again????? Geez, guys, you all work so fast! I'm going to have to increase my speed if I want to run with your pack!

Have a good day,

Odessa

o

I sent Michelle's out today. SO Michelle don't open until everyone gets theirs!

Vicky

o

I think I am as excited for opening day as you all are!!! What fun!

Dee

o

Well, well, well ...... I'm sure all you ladies thought I would be dragging my feet on getting this round finished, eh? If that is the case, you would be WRONG! It appears I only have the last side to attach to the quilt center, which will happen tonight (unless I go home and die after work today). I was up until 3:30 a.m. last night finishing the sewing of the border, but just could do no more. I can't believe I made it to work on time today!

At any rate, I should be able to put it in the mail tomorrow, Vicky. If memory serves, that should mean that all are on their way home, is that correct? If so, can we target a day for opening? I would anticipate that Vicky could have hers as early as Friday if all goes well and it gets in the mail tomorrow.

So the question is: do we want to select a target date to open, or do we want to wait until everyone posts that they have RECEIVED their package? That second option might make a little more sense in the event that the Pony Express is up to its old shenannigans. If we could all post here soon about preferences, we can then determine what we will do.

Vicky, I think your son will be excited: I found the most awesome fabric with target-shooting moose and outhouses on it -- I think any pre-teen/teenage boy would just love it. And after the fly-fishing ballerinas, I was happy to see that the colors just blended perfectly!

Okay, everyone, let me know how you want to proceed.

Marie, how is your daughter faring?

Odessa

o

Odessa, I like the idea of posting when we all have received our packages. Then we can pick a day and time to open. OMG, I'm so excited about this!!!

Kate

o

Kate,

meeeeee, too! I am thinking that everyone will like what they get ... each time a new center arrives, I think we have all tried our best to apply a round that enhances the design, not detracts from it. I know I have Vicky's hanging on the closed doors in my bedroom right now until I get the last side attached. It looks so cozy there, fly-fishing ballerinas, hunting moose, outhouses and all!

So how 'bout it ladies? Anyone else have an opinion on this??

Odessa

o

I am bumping this back up to the top so we don't forget about it. Still waiting to hear from Vicky and/or Michelle about advising when we have received our "packages" ...

Odessa

o

I haven't heard from Michelle yet either but I'm watching the mail daily just in case she's already sent it.

Kate

o

hello
sorry to be late posting we have been getting the last few things done and the house is now on the market, sign up and everything. I went to look at some houses yesterday, out of 3 only one looks do-able.

I sent kate's out this morning, priority so it should be there by friday.

also I have receved mine from vicky, it is on my comp desk just begging to be opened. maybe we can go for this weekend, if we all have them by sat. just let me know when I can open it. what ever you decied is fine with me.

michelle

o

I can hardly wait to see if you all love your bunnies! I guess we are close enough now so I can tell you that this whole challenge was such a treat for me because once I decided on the bunny theme it was fairly simple to incorporate that into each one of the quilts. All I had to do was alter the color a bit and add little hats, tools, etc - whatever was appropriate. Had the most trouble with the tiny six-shooters on Marie's bunnies and goggles for the hang gliding hares on Odessa's. Bunnies on ice skates dancing with snowflakes made perfect sense on Michelle's, as well as the rabbits roasting marshmallows around a campfire on the quilt for Vicky's son. It was all such FUN!

I think on the next round of quilts I'll turn my attention to sock monkeys. It's pretty hard to go wrong with them!

Holding my breath,
Kate

o

kate you must have a sixth sense, to do all bunnies and we are getting out centers back just before easter. who could have guessed it.

I'm also awaiting the start of the next robin, I love this kind of project.

well back to waiting

michelle

o

Good Morning Round Robin Group!

Here is a listing of what I currently know from this thread:

Vicky - sent to Michelle
Michelle - sent to Kate
Kate - sent to Marie
Marie - ??
Odessa - sent to Vicky, Michelle, Kate & Marie

Yes, gals, you saw that correctly. There is a BOX COMING TO EACH OF YOU, to be opened with our quilt tops. A little something from me for making this such a pleasant experience. Vicky, your quilt top is in that box, too, so you only have to wait for one package, not two! Lucky you.

When I know that you've received your packages, let me know and we will put that info here, too, so we can then determine an "Opening Day". I think this is going to be such fun!

Marie, how is your daughter doing? She is in my thoughts every day. I hope this current illness doesn't put a damper on your vacation plans.

It is spring here -- finally! -- it was already 59 degrees when I got to work at nearly 9:00 a.m., and we should have 83 degrees by the weekend. This weather is just unheard of in this part of Michigan for this early in the year. The daffodils, hyacinths and spring bulbs are popping through the earth like crazy. I am loving all the beautiful colors as I drive through the area. Hope you are all having pleasant, sunny days were you are, too.

ttfn,

Odessa

o

My package from Michelle arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!
No, I won't open it until everyone has theirs but it's going to be hard to wait. DH called me at work to say it arrived today and I told him to hide it before I get home.

Kate

o

I'm excited for you Kate, but just make sure to tell the hubby that he needs to REMEMBER where he hides it!

BTW, my boxes for each of you should be arriving by Sat., if the Post Office is on its game.

Nothing new for me yet, but I think I did receive the Cathedral Window quilt that I promised to give a good home to in the National Quilting Day thread .... just have to get home and open the box!

Odessa

o

Ladies,

Now I take the crown of lateness! Been crazy here this week, couldn't seem to keep on track with the things I needed to get done.

Odessa - I PROMISE your quilt is going out tomorrow. I started cleaning up my veggie garden space this morning - I don't think any of the farmers around here EVER pick anything up or throw anything away!! What a mess but I got about 1/2 done before the rain hit. AND.... then a nap hit me.

Kate - I received my box! I have ordered Megin some new shoes and left it on her bed thinking it was her's. I didn't peek I PROMISE! I had her put every thing back in when she reliesed that it was for me and it is now hid in her room cause she thinks I am to tempted. I think she peeked though! LOL

Meg is still not eating well - still can't keep much down. Her pain seem's to be doing better though. We have an appointment with her surgen on Tuesday -sure hope he figures something out as we only have 18 days left :)

Marie

o

Marie,
Don't forget! The small package in there is for Meg.

Kate

o

Here's the status so far:

Vicky - sent to Michelle
Michelle - sent to Kate
Kate - sent to Marie; received from Michelle
Marie - not sent yet; received from Kate

Ooooooo, I'm so tingly with anticipation .... it's almost like being 7 again and waiting for Christmas!

Keep me updated, girls!

Odessa

o

Joyce - your package is on its way and should be there Monday as I sent it 3 day priority.

Marie

o

Sounds like we won't be ready to open until Monday at the earliest. I have quilt guild that night so it will have to be after 9pm east coast time for me, but if you all want to open on Monday, then I'll do it when I get home and post my picture then. That works for me.

Kate

o

Today's update:

Vicky - sent to Michelle
Michelle - sent to Kate
Kate - sent to Marie; received from Michelle
Marie - sent to Odessa; received from Kate

After 2-1/2 hours of shopping today (4 stores jam-packed full of people), I checked my mailbox and there was nothing for me there ... awwwwwwww. That's okay, cuz it will be here when it gets here. I hope you all advise when you receive both your packages so we can be certain to open together.

Odessa

o

I received my package from Odessa!

o

Good Morning One and All,

Here is the update for this morning:

Vicky - sent to Michelle
Michelle - sent to Kate
Kate - sent to Marie; received from Michelle & Odessa
Marie - sent to Odessa; received from Kate

If I hear more on the subject, I will post again. Hope you all had a pleasant Easter.

Odessa

o

I thought I had posted that I received my package on Saturday, sorry I guess I just thought it and didn't DO it.
Vicky

o

We're so close!

o

Okay ladies - go hunt down your mail delivery person and get your packages! This is driving me crazy - I want to see mine , I want to see mine.... (laying on floor, kicking feet) LOL

I had a nice Easter - a friend made Greek style lamb & potatoes that was soooooo YUMMY! I finished 3 quilt tops and started cutting out 2 more. Then early this morning my machine quit again... Okay I know that it is over 50 years old, has the same motor and probably light bulb that it was born with but geeezzze I love the old girl! So after cleaning up the house a bit, doing some laundry and checking here every 5 minutes to see if we can look in our boxes yet :) I will be going out to my storage shed and digging out another machine. It being a newer model (20 yrs old or so) I don't have quite the touch as I do with the dinosour... I plan on buying a new one in October or November but I may just have to bite the bullet and do it sooner. Maybe I can hint that is what I want for Mom's day LOL

Happy Monday to all!
Marie

o

How's Meg??? You two still on for the Hawaii vacation?

o

Newer update:

Vicky - sent to Michelle; received from Odessa
Michelle - sent to Kate _____ *received yet from Vicky/Odessa?*
Marie - sent to Odessa; received from Kate _____ *received yet from Odessa?*
Odessa - sent to Vicky, Michelle, Kate & Marie *waiting for package from Marie*

I am not going to be able to get home @ lunch to check the mail today (have to go to Secretary of State/DMV to get new plate tabs for DD's truck), so it will be tonight some time before I know if I have a package to open. But if Michelle gets her 2 packages, and if Vicky and Marie both get their packages from me in the mean time, post here so we will know what's going on.

Kate, you have a guild meeting tonight, is that right? What time will you get home, in the event we can open some time tonight? I know you and I and Vicky are all EST. Michelle, are you CST? And Marie, I think you're MST? Please let me know.

Marie: we, too, had lamb on the grill for Easter, couscous, greek salad, pita bread, and homemade Baklava for dessert....yummy! I am getting quicker and quicker at making the Baklava, but I still don't know how to cut it into smaller diamonds yet....they always come out to be HUGE! That's okay, one piece is really plenty for anyone's waistline!

TTYS,

Odessa

o

This is soooooooooooo exciting! And I am an observer :)
Marie ~ tell us how Meg is doing!

o

hello
I have both of my packages, I got the one from vicky a wile ago and I got the one from odessa just now.
I'm so excited and yes we are CST.
I'll keep checking to see if we can open today
michelle

o

I'll be home by 8pm (or there abouts) eastern time! I think we can do this today. If you all want to post earlier, that's OK. I'll just do mine as soon as I get home. It's OK if I'm late by a little while, as long as we do it on the same day.

I would skip the guild meeting tonight in favor of this but I have a QOV I'm delivering to the longarmer at the meeting so I really have to be there.

Kate

o

The suspense is driving me batty.
Don't know how those of you with packages in your hands are standing the wait.
Meanwhile, a question for Vicki 4 X 4. Is there a pattern available for that nice fat chicken that you put into that border? I just love that fat chick.
beth b

o

What fat chicken??? Did she put a fat chicken in my border???

o

Newer update (1:45 p.m., EST):

Vicky - sent to Michelle; received from Odessa
Michelle - sent to Kate; received from Vicky & Odessa
Marie - sent to Odessa; received from Kate --- *received yet from Odessa?*
Odessa - sent to Vicky, Michelle, Kate & Marie --- *waiting for package from Marie*

So, essentially, you are all waiting to see if I have received my package from Marie, and if Marie has received her package from me. The Post Office assured me that you should all have received your packages from me by Saturday, but I really give them 'til today, in the event something happened along the way.

I will not be home to check for mail (I have the mailbox key) until after 6:00 pm EST, which will be 5:00 Michelle's time. So as soon as I know, you will all know.

Kate, attend your guild meeting without fear. I think we can wait for you. My suggestion (since I believe EVERYTHING the government says *wink*) that I will have my package today. So we should all log on to the GW site tonight by 9:00 p.m. EST (Odessa, Kate, Vicky)/8:00 p.m. CST (Michelle)/7:00 p.m. MST (Marie?). Then if it's a "go", I'll advise and the fun can begin!

Any other thoughts/concerns, please let me know!

Happy Monday everyone!

Odessa

o

hi all
ok I'll be here at 8:00cst
it may take me a bit to get the pick posted, I'm not good with them but I'll do my best.

(waiting) not so patiently
michelle

o

Cool plan!

Michelle, if you can take the picture and email it to me, I'll be happy to post it for you.

Kate

o

Further update: (2:12 p.m.)

DD just called to tell me the postman knocked on the door, but she did not get to it before he left, taking whatever package he had with him. I don't know if it is at the office of our complex (doubtful) or if he will return it to the local post office. She is coming to get the mailbox key and will go home and check. I'll let you all know.....

Odessa

o

Beth, Vicky posted a pic of a row robin she was participating in elsewhere, when we were discussing what kind of Round Robin to do next (while we were patiently waiting for these talented ladies to finish on this Round Robin so we can see pictures!!!!)

The link below has some fun fat chickens (maybe the same). We used this site for an Applique Block Lotto last year that woodenzoo hosted. They make up really cute.

Kate ~ no need to panic ~ unless.......

Here is a link that might be useful: FAT CHICKEN FOR BETH

o

You guys are going to have so much fun tonight! I'm sorry that I have an obligation and I will not be able to log on at the appointed time to attend your virtual party.

I'm looking forward to reading all about it (and seeing lots of pictures) tomorrow!

Lola

o

Okay, ladies, 15 more minutes until I can "get the flock outta here" (hahaha) and race to the PO before they close. Hopefully my postman will have returned with the box he tried to deliver to my house. DD brought me the pink slip (well, melon-colored, actually) so I can sign for it and pick it up. I'm hoping he has returned. If not, then it will be very late tomorrow nite as I have a surprise 18th b'day party we're throwing for that same DD. She does not know yet, as far as I know, but we're having it @ oldest daughter's house. She thinks she's going there to babysit for "date night". We're so tricky ....

Sending an e-mail to Vicky, 'cuz we haven't heard from her yet. I think she's the only holdout.

Odessa

o

I got mine on Saturday. I posted that somewheres.

Vic

o

Okay, okay, okay.....

I got mine! It's very quietly waiting on the chair in the living room ....... minding its own business. Being very respectful. Hubby says, "let's open it NOW ... I'll help."

Isn't he wonderful?

Odessa

o

I got my box from Odessa :) Drive fast girl - don't think anyone can wait till tomorrow LOL Yes I am in MST

Meg has an appointment tomorrow with her surgon - as we leave in 13 days!!! I am not sure what will happen but she is finally able to keep some food down by taking nauseating meds. Still has back and stomach area pain.

I will check back after supper - should be done by 6:30 my time.

Marie

o

I'm home!!!! Are we READY?!?!?!!?

Kate

o

Wow Kate, that was one fast guild meeting! Well, I am ready, but I don't know about anyone else.

How 'bout it ladies?

Odessa

o

I have Photoshop open and ready!

o

lets do it!

o
Any minute.....

Michelle should be here any minute and I bet Vicky will be too.

o
wow!!!!!

I'll be the first to admit it: I've opened my packages! Give me a few minutes to take a picture and I'll be back.

But I have to say that you all have made this quilt bright and lovely. It really looks like a spring garden! All I asked for was batiks and other than that encouraged you all to use your imaginations. Nice job, everyone!

Thank you for the quilt and for the great memories I'll always have of this project. And thank you to Odessa for starting it AND for the awesome cookies! I'll be munching one of those as I post the picture, for certain!

Hugs to all, Kate
(back in a minute)

o

ok I just finnished my picks and a very long winded thank yous and this and that and when I went to post it, it disapiered so give me a few muinets to do it again
michelle

o

Hi gals,

Sorry to be a little late, I was trying to put my daughter's cheesecake in the oven.

If you haven's opened yet, GO!

Odessa

o
Kate's Spring Garden

o

Lovely!

o

Oh my!!! You all did such a great job!!!
1st RR quilt

Thank you all soooo much! and doesn't it look great on my wood wall :) I think I will leave it this size - I know that I can not do anything to impove upon what you all did! Black back and black binding will complete this most AWSOME quilt! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Thank you Odessa for being such a wonderful host, the little basket of cookies is just to sweet! Perfect snack for after supper, aahhhhh.... Thanks so much for squaring my center up -WOW, I would never have attempted round - but it really makes my center stand out!

Vicky - perfect touch and nice choice of color.

Michelle - love the 'not quite' square, squares! Lots of work and thanks so much for your time!

Kate - The 'rope' effect is the perfect finishing touch... thank you for including Meg a gift and the little note pad for me :) I love stuff with my name on it LOL

Kate made Meg a really neat beaded 'wrap around' bracelet in green's with hangy pink beads and my note pad say's "From Marie's sewing table"!

Now I am going to post so that I can see everyone else's!
Marie

o
it wont let me post picks!!!

ok I'm getting %$#@!$^&**

I have tried to post the picks 4 times now and each time I hit the preview button everything just goes POOFFF and its gone. help Kate I'm gonna try to send the picks to you and please see if you can do it
thanks
michelle

o

My son likes it a lot and so do I. I think I'm going to add a row to the top and bottom of bear paw blocks and then it will be bed size :-) Thanks ladies!
Vicky

Photobucket

o
RE: Round Robin 2009/10 Ends! - here's mine

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm having such trouble getting this to work right, so here goes the 4th try:

The Whole Thing

o

Here goes! Let's see if this works:

Michelle's Quilt!

o
and again

ok now I'm having trouble posting any post

so I'm keeping this simple

I love them all
thanks Kate for posting for me

thank you! thank you! thank you!

you are all great, I just hope I didn't go too small on your borders.

I have typed so many things ( I have been sitting here over an hour) I wish it had gone through but I'm so tired I need to stop looking at the screen.

HUGGS to everyone
michelle

o

Ladies, they are all wonderful! I have been watching and waiting all evening to see your creations. Well done!
Linda OH

o
ps...round robin

I don't know if a post went through where I thanked Odessa for the gift, I love the tin and cookies, but are they made with real dragonflies and butterflies?

and thanks for all the little notes that came with my quilt.

michelle

o

Michelle - your borders weren't too small at all. As a matter of fact, I think my favorite single border of all of them is the wonky blocks you did in scrappy colors on Marie's cowboy. I wish everyone could see it close up!

And I may have to try to get a closer pic of the applique Odessa added to mine. Tiny flowers, butterflies, ladybugs... amazing! But not a single howitzer!?!?!?!

Kate

o
RE: Round Robin 2009/10 Ends! #1

I know and no robot trout

o
RE: Round Robin 2009/10 Ends! - my thoughts

oKAY, I have made such a mess in my living room, but I wanted to take a minute here. Marie sent me the most lovely basket with bunny & carrot (I think; did not have my "eyes" on and can't focus on such tiny print!) candles, the basket has little chicks painted on it. There is also a beautiful easter egg ornament (how did you know I have a small collection of Pysanky eggs and that I try to decorate an "Easter tree" every year???) and two lovely pieced & machine quilted squares (hotpads/trivets? .. either way, they're lovely!).

I just love the notes you all sent, ladies. I am so happy that you all have enjoyed the process and have found a way to stretch your artistic "chops". You've all really grown, so this was a hugely successful project in my eyes.

Who sent me the candy bar? And how did you know I like Hershey's??? Yummm!

Kate, Kate, Kate. Thank you so much for the book. I will certainly use it and now I have ANOTHER project I want to start!!! How do you do that to me?!! It is just beautiful, and so inspirational.

Vicky, thank you so much for starting my label for me. You all have really outdone yourselves! The label is just gorgeous!

Now, to talk about my beautiful quilt.

Vicky, I'm glad you squared it up. That green is a perfect color, and your leaf appliques are wonderful. So true to the vision I started with!

Michelle, I like your maple leaves. I have never seen the stems done that way. (For those who can't tell, the stems appear to be narrow fabric folded upon itself several times until it measures about 1/2" or so, then zig-zag stitched onto the pieced maple leaf block. Very unusual and I like it.) I like that the leaves point in all directions ... just like in nature, they don't all stand a certain way.

Next is Kate's round. I love the pp'd trees in the corner, and the flying geese is one of my favorite borders (after all, why would I choose to do it on Marie's if I didn't like it???). My husband said, "that blue is perfect." Very high praise, indeed. Your work is lovely.

Marie, I really like the outer pieced border you did. The tans and browns remind me that fall isn't all just yellows, golds, reds and oranges. There are various shades of browns, too, and your fabric choices are perfect.

Ladies, I cannot say nearly enough about how beautiful my quilt is. I don't yet know what I will bind it with, but I don't think it needs anything more than a binding. I was thinking it would be a wall quilt, but the husband says he wants to use it for a lap quilt. Like I really want it to smell like testosterone! haha!

I have enjoyed the entire process. I was so excited to read all the "clues" we put on the board. They helped to keep me interested and the brain cells contemplating what to say/what to do. I hope you all have enjoyed this as much as I have, and I hope you all like the quilts you've got now.

I also would love to see you join RR 2.0! Perhaps we'll do a Round OR Row ... the choice can be the originator's. I'll be thinking on it, and asking for input.

Hugs to all of you and many, many thanks, my Quilting Friends!

Odessa

(stepping off soapbox now so someone else can have the floor! Look out for pins .....)

o
re: round robin 2009/10 ends! more thoughts

No, Kate, no Howitzers. I think that next time I will have to find a way........

But where are the flying robot fish on mine!!!!?????? lol

I'd like to know who had the most fun here??? I think it was me.

And a special thank you to our Techno-Twinkie, Kate, who kept us able to post photos here and gave advice on computer stuff to everyone who needed it.

Thanks again ladies for participating. And thanks to everyone who watched this thread and enjoyed the process almost as much as we did. I hope to see you all again on another Round Robin/Row Robin project. Don't be afraid to participate -- we had so much fun and so can you.

Odessa

o
RE: Round Robin 2009/10 Ends! - message to Vicky

Vicky, I just had a "stroke" of semi-genius lol. I should have put more deer tracks on those vertical plaid strips I put on the top and bottom borders. Perhaps you can add some there? I was not happy with those plain old squares, but could not think of something to do with them. Seeing your photo makes me think that would be good.

I'm so glad your son likes his quilt. I was concerned it would not be the right dimension, but I love the idea you had to add bear's paw blocks to the top & bottom. Excellent solution.

Hope it keeps him warm. I know we all enjoyed working on it!

Odessa

o

They are all remarkable. Each and everyone has it's own personality which is amazing when so many of the same people contributed to each of them. Your a lucky bunch. Thank you for sharing your fun with us. Jayne

o

They are all just stunning--you ladies are incredible!

o

I just keep staring at my quilt.... I am truely blessed to have been in this group :) Looking forward to #2 but I am going to have a hard time deciding which one to do!

I took a short break and watched 'The Morgans' I picked it because it is based in Wyoming and staring 'Mr. Sam Elliot' , be still my beating heart - wink, wink ;) What a great movie! A romance but nothing to mushy LOL and funny!

Have a great night all,
Marie

o

The first thing I did this morning was to open this thread. I just couldn't wait to see what all you ladies had done. From the clues, I had thought, howitzers? I'm not sure I'd ever want to join that kind of RR... But what beauty & creativity! Next time, I wanna play, too!!!!

o

I love them all - I was there with ya for most of the virtual party~~then life interfered, so I didn't get to see Michele's until this morning. You all did not disappoint! Thank you all for your amazing imaginations and sharing your creative work with us! You are a great group of ladies.
You all should be giddy with delight!
Beautiful creations!

o

Gorgeous quilts! Nice job everyone. It is really fun to see what you all came up with.

Lola

o

You ladies and the quilts are totally amazing. That is an overused word BUT nothing else works as well.
I just keep looking and looking and keep finding new things that I like in the photos.
My hat is off to each of you.
BB

o

We have found this exchange to be really fun. I know some of the "clues" threw people off the track, but that was part of the fun of it. It was really interesting to see what was in the box when I opened it, especially since I was expecting flying robot fish on mine ... at first I was a little sad that I did not see them, but then I was just "giddy with delight" (thank you, Ben Stein) at what was there.

It was really a fun process, but I think moreso because we tried to make it fun at every turn. It helps to know that we didn't take ourselves too seriously at times, because you could go crazy in a project like this if you do. There was enough "seriousness" when the pieces arrived, I think: will my work measure up? are my ideas good enough? can I make the right fabric selections? how will I ever get this to be as good as what is already there? But the beauty of a process like this is that everyone has a different perspective and therefore, the "feel" of a piece can change with each round of borders that is put on.

We had sort of a "free-form" RR without too many "rules" regarding size limits of borders, fabric selections, type of workmanship, etc. I know that a couple of these quilts arrived with a note from the maker which gave us all a little idea of what we were to do or not do to the piece (i.e., Vicky's was for a boy, so flowers would not be appropriate ... which is why we HAD to tease about fly-fishing ballerinas! ;-)

I would definitely encourage anyone who has not yet tried a RR to get involved in 2.0 because it is fun, and we try to keep it exciting. Everyone in our group had different skills, and different "visions" for each piece. It is helpful to remember that not everyone is going to have your same skill set, so you may get a round that is much more intricate than you feel you could ever do, or a round that is more simple than you would prefer. But we all start somewhere, and that is what makes this sort of a quilt an interesting project.

I still need to take a picture of my label that Vicky started for me ... it is just wonderful and I love it (I had forgotten to include one when I originally sent the piece to Vicky). You will all love it.

Obviously, I cannot say enough about this group of women that worked on these quilts. We have all become friends, and we have learned so much from this exchange. This will make us all better quilters in the long run, and I believe we will all be better people for having participated in this. It has been such fun.

So, anyone still thinking about getting involved in the next go-'round, take the leap! It's not too much structure and it is a lot of fun. You'll make new friends -- good ones, that you will connect with. Consider it! Row or Round ... watch the board and I will happily coordinate again.

Thanks all you out there in "Lurkingdom" who have watched while we had fun. I hope to see you all involved in the next one! We can have more than 1 group, so feel free to get on board.

Odessa

o

o

Even those of us who couldn't particpate have followed your projects with such pleasure. They are all just wonderful. The results are all amazing. Thanks for letting us share it with you.

o

I also want to say that it 'seemed' like a long time for those of us watching from the sidelines, but You Ladies did a remarkable job finishing this RR in a short amount of time~~ especially during the busy holiday season!! You should all take a well deserved bow! You all should be very, very proud!

o

It has been really fun to see what each person added and what each quilt must have looked like when they were half done.

The one quilt that I can't figure out is Michelle's. It looks to me like there are 5 borders (and I know there are only 4!): the one that set the center on point, a narrow red/white border, the red/white/blue zigzags, the big snowflakes, and then the final blue/red/blue. What am I not seeing?

o

WOW! WONDERFUL! I am very impressed and amazed by the creativity in this group of women! You all did such a beautiful job. It was fun to follow along as your center squares made their way across the country picking up their borders. Your quilts are amazing. Thanks for letting us share in your process!

Sue/polardream

o

You all did great. It is interesting to see how everyone met the challenge....a lot of creativity. Thanks for sharing.

~Geraldine

o

hello
lola I think eather Kate or Marie but on 2 borders, I will likely just bind it and not do anything else to it. it will have to wait to be finnished becouse we are trying to sell the house and I can't get into a big project like finnishing and quilting it. with some luck I may end up with a sewing room after we move, one can hope.
michelle

o

I set the center on point for Michelle's. But I didn't add the extra small red border around that. I guess Marie did it - probably to make the size come out right for the zigzag border.

Kate

o

I picked out the bear claw blocks to go on the top and bottom of Caleb's quilt yesterday :-) It will be a long time before i get to it because of other project ahead of it.

Vicky

o

What an incredible bunch of talented and caring woman you are. I've enjoyed watching your progress. Your quilts are absolutely amazing. Great job one and all.

o

Very nice! You all did a great job.
Salijo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here