Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

I think I might like Caesarstone?

katieob
12 years ago

Hi all.

I'm having an identity crisis.

I was always a natural stone gal (namely soapstone and marble). Lately, though, I'm loving photos of Caesarstone Raven (in polished). I'm considering it for my perimeter with 2 by 6 white crackle subway tiles.

The following attracts me:

The chunky, beefy edge (is that thick edge the 3cm option?)

The dark grey/charcoal color rather than black. And no, I don't see myself not oiling the soapstone.

A little bit modern, sleek in an otherwise traditional scheme (white inset, polished nickel hardware, walnut island top, wood floors). Cottage glam ???

The juxtaposition it might offer, surrounded by more rustic elements (wide planked pine floors, walnut island, painted cabinets)

Can it work with a Shaw's farm sink?

I'm supposed to go to the yard this week to pick out my soapstone slabs, but I might be picking up Raven samples instead. Here are some photos making me love this option~

Celineike's kitchen. Hers is Qortstone, but I'm thinking that is only available in California. I LOVE the color and the look:

Ina Garten's Kitchen of the Year 2009, under construction:

Ina's again, in use (fake use, but humor me):

Ina's island:

I don't really know what my question is.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Katie

Comments (43)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I guess I'm kind of surprised about it coming from you. Don't know why. Its not like I know you or anything, but your old kitchen spoke to many of us, including me, as a "classic" white kitchen. Manmade quartz doesn't seem like you.

Thoughts:
    Any stone can be built up to a 3cm edge, not just the Ceasarstone.
    I toyed with the idea of it for my island with Carrara perimeter, but with the exception of celine's kitchen I don't like the mix of natural and manmade.

I thought Ina used petite granite/Belgian limestone in her kitchen.

I think you could make it work. Look at Celine's kitchen! After all, you did the all-natural kitchen once. Why not mix it up and try something new?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I don't see it as much of a paradigm shift really -- its a similar look and function with a different product. Caesarstone Apple Martini would be a different story.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

I think that's a 3" edge, not 3cm. My quartz is 3cm, which is ~1.25". Maybe it's a doubled up 3cm?

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

The color of Caesarstone that you selected is neutral, and can go with a lot. It's one of my favorites. A friend of mine in St. Helena, CA used marble on her perimeter counters and Caesarstone on her island, and it looks fantastic, I wish I had a photo to show you. She chose Caesarstone because she didn't want to stress out about her island -- which is her main work space -- getting beat up, nicked, stained, etc.

You have lovely taste, go with your gut. Keep us updated! It's always fun to read your posts, see your inspiration photos, and track your new kitchen's progress.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Caesarstone Raven is beautiful. I can completely understand why you are attracted to it.

Until the bitter end of my counter selection process I had a sample of Raven sitting next to my cabinets. It is such a lovely warm gray. In the end I decided to pick a honed, dark gray/black granite on the theory that any scratches or damage down the road to a "natural" stone would be a more appealing patina than any damage to Caesarstone. Sometimes I wish I had had the guts to pick the Raven because it does look beautiful in the installations I've seen. Have you seen theanimala's kitchen on GW?

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Friends don't let friends buy fake stone. Time for an intervention!

Just kidding. I'm seriously considering Cambria Torquay, and Caesarstone Raven has always been in the running. Then again, I'm very drawn to soapstone! The key with any quartz is to make sure it doesn't look plastic. Some do, but others are beautiful and practical.

Smarge also has Raven Caesarstone, not that you notice it much after you see her backsplash:

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think the Raven is the nicest of the Caesarstone choices, so I totally understand. It is pretty and subdued and would allow for great freedom in your other materials. It won't fight other patterns, yet is not a solid.
    We recently got a couch in a slightly darker shade and I love how it is a softer look than black, but is also not a light color so it provides a little drama. Dark gray may be the new "black", lol...

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Just for anyone else who might be interested, here is a link to the story of Smarge's incredible backsplash.

• katieob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all~

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    It looks great in smarge's & theanimala's kitchen. Sometimes it looks black, though. I really like the color of celineike's counters. Definitely charcoal, not black.

Breezy~ I actually hung my head in shame a little! My attraction to a fakey surprises me, too. But, I am attracted to it. Acceptance is the first step, no?

The pics are of the kitchen Robert Stilin designed at Rock Center for the Kitchen of the Year-it's a "replica" of Ina's kitchen, not her actual one.

Palimpsest~ True, good point.

Co-Co~Yes, it must be stacked or mitered (sp?) or something. I really like the thickness.

JCM~Thank you for the encouragement! Would love to see a photo of your friend's kitchen!

francoise~ I was really hoping you'd go with the Raven (selfish). Your granite will look great & weather nicely.

mpagmom~ I know, it's so ...risky. Torquay is pretty intriguing, as well.

dianolo~ I love grey. Softer than black, subdued. I'm a fan.

Any other thoughts?
    I'm struggling a bit with this :)

Katie

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

mpagmom, I was going to post smarge's kitchen, too. Her counters are gorgeous. Well, it's all gorgeous!

katieob, with your track record we know you'll pull off a great kitchen no matter what you choose :)

• sas95
    12 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Caesarstone. It's one of the best decisions we made in or remodel-- simple, modern, maintenance free, and it plays nicely in the background to let other elements in the kitchen shine. We mixed it with butcherblock on our island and it looks great. As of yet, no one has mistaken it for plastic. ;)

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

Another Raven fan here, island and perimeter; my kitchen has a lot of light and my cabs are white.

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

Hi Katie,

I will see if I can get a photo. Here's a shoot from House Beautiful, maybe this appeals to you? Caesarstone is on these counters, I think it looks great. (Also, I just discovered that you can search on this term on HB, a bonus!)

"Newport-based architect Steven Laurin designed the island, reminiscent of a farm table except for its top of CaesarStone. Interior designer Meg Braff chose the large double pendant fixture to balance out the large island and warm up the kitchen of this summer home." -- on p. 15 of 65

Jody

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful Link

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Katie,

I took another look at your last kitchen and pictured Raven instead of soapstone. Do you know what? It would have looked as good or even better. A softer gray would have been fantastic with the marble island and it would have let your true focal points shine even more.

You obviously have good taste. If you see it in person and think it's beautiful then you should go for it.

I just saw on another post that Marcolo saw some Cambria quartz samples at a trade show and liked them, so it seems to be catching.

Good luck choosing!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

your last kitchen was gorgeous (its bookmarked for me, as it has my first loves - marble and soapstone), can't wait to see the one you are working on now!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Dear Katie,

One of my kitchen inspirations (along with your former kitchen, of course!) was the This Old House PBS kitchen in the Newton Centre remodel. They used Caesarstone "Concrete" for their perimeter counters. It looks beautiful with the Farrow and Ball Wimborne white painted cabinets.

Again, I sort of which I'd had the guts to go with Cement or Raven Caesarstone since my new cabinets are Wimborne White (like the Newton Centre kitchen) and both Raven and Cement look great with my cabinets color. I love the simple softer gray look you get with Caesarstone that you just can't get with most honed black granites or oiled soapstone. But I caved to the snobbery in my area around "real stone". Functionally I am delighted with the granite because I don't worry about it for one minute.
    But aesthetically I still prefer the color and texture of the quartz composite counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newton Centre PBS episode

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

here's a few pictures of mine when it was just installed

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

Hi katie, your former kitchen is also one of my favorites and I think folks here might be holding you to some higher standard (& you're experiencing some natural materials snobbery) because we all love what you did in your previous kitchen so much!

I'm curious: is your reason for not wanting to use soapstone/marble again related to not wanting to live with/maintain those surfaces again?

As to your musings about juxtaposition of this modern element (quartz) with more traditional materials (inset cabs, polished nickel, wide plank floors) I say yes absolutely!

If I were going ceasarstone, I would use it for ALL countertops (perimeter and island) rather than combining it with a walnut island top and I'd skip the apron front sink (I think the beefy edge profile of any countertop material with the Shaws are kind of competing focal points-just my opinion.)

I'd like the reflective surface to be the same across those horizontal surfaces--classy, calm, the shine on all the countertops would echo the shine of the polished nickel hardware and let your wood floors be your organic, grounding element. (You can obviously also add in more natural materials through rugs, window treatments, accessories etc.)

I just want to say I had this exact debate about natural/"plastic" materials myself. Sometimes it's hard to juxtapose a self-image/appearance of what we like with the function and overall needs/"feel" of the space. We all have enough great ideas/features we love for multiple kitchens but I'm a huge proponent of editing and allowing a few favorite things to be your star, rather than fitting in all those various favorite things into one kitchen. (And this is your second kitchen, at least that I know of!, so why not do something different this time around?) :)

• jenos
    12 years ago

Hi Katie,
    I had the same concerns when we did our kitchen. I couldn't get past the simple, clean look of Caesarstone Baja, and it ultimately won out over marble. I ended up using marble in the bathrooms and in other areas, but I wanted more of a sleek, modern look for the kitchen countertops. We just finished our basement and used Caesarstone Mocha down there--I love that color too.
    Here are a few pictures because we also have some of the things you mentioned (cabinet color, hardware, walnut island)...
    Good luck!!
    Ok, sorry no pictures because I can't figure out how to post them...looking for instructions. I just snapped a few pics on my iPhone....ugh...

• davidro1
    12 years ago

katieob I think the beefy slab thing will be dated in 10 years.
    "... chunky, beefy edge"

Materials are made thinner and thinner these days.
    Kerlite is 1/3rd of a centimeter thick and it works.
    One centimeter thickness quartz is now being installed in kitchens in Europe.
    Two centimeter thickness quartz is now being installed in kitchens in the US.

1cm = 10mm= about 1/2" ( a bit less)
    2cm = 20mm= about 3/4"
    3cm = 30mm= aabout 1.25"

Adding a false front to create the illusion of extreme thickness will work well on a bar overhang where guests sit or hangout. Not on the working "laboratory" side. I've seen bars with 4" and 5" thickness facades. Looks good. For show. Not for work. It occupies real estate that could go to drawers.

Hth

• marg42
    12 years ago

Hi Katieob,
    I am going through the same decision process! If there's one thing I've learned is that it's so important to see those products up close - ideally, in someone's kitchen - it can really look different from a magazine or photograph. To that point, a good friend of mine just put in Raven countertops with creamy white traditional cabs - and it looks stunning!(and it's so smooth to the touch!) I have to say in photographs I much prefer the look of soapstone or honed black granite. BUT, in person, Raven is so pretty. And at night, the warm light of the cans and pendants make it shimmer. One word of warning (and it's an obvious one :)): don't use Tilex on it. My friend's housekeeper accidentally did that and it left raindrop marks - she's so bummed :(. One other thing: the Raven does give her kitchen a more contemporary vibe - or at least you can also go that way or it opens the door to using more contemp/transitional elements. For example, my friend has a Rohl farmhouse sink alongside white LEM Design Within Reach stools- and they all look great anchored by her traditional warm walnut floors. She's from LA and it has a traditional but airy CA feel too. If she had used soapstone or granite, that feel would not have been achieved. It's amazing how the countertops really affect the style of the kitchen. Good luck - keep us all posted on what you decide :).

• hteb
    12 years ago

Has anyone here that has Caesarstone had any issues with chips, pitting, staining, discoloring or anything else? I too have fallen for Caeserstone but have read many, many negative reviews about it and now I fear it! The reviews I read are at http://3rings.designerpages.com/2008/03/18/caesarstone/ Caesarstone is the only material I really like for my kitchen remodel, it'll be my first time.. tee hee. Now I'm scared. Any thoughts would be excellent! I find it odd that there's maybe 2 positive reviews out of say, 20 on that site. I don't see how there could be that many issues with a product that's been used two years now in the Kitchen of the Year and has been featured in so many publications. I'm so confused!!!

• davidro1
    12 years ago

hteb I went and read the comments at http://3rings.designerpages.com/2008/03/18/caesarstone/

I'll guess those comments are all written by the same person.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

katie, please do tell us why you are doing a different material in your new kitchen. i am anxious to hear the answer to littlesmokie's question! didn't like what you had? to save money? just wanted a change?

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I know not everyone values Consumer Reports, but they do a great job of abusing countertops. They rated quartz the best countertop, just above granite, but they said it doesn't resist impact as well as granite and it may chip. That's something to think about with the chunky edges. The Raven sample I have has a tiny little bevel at the edge, and I think that would do a good job of reducing chips. I'm going to take a cast iron skillet to it and see what happens.

When I did stain tests before I never thought of testing cleaning products. I'm going to try permanent marker too.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I just whacked my Caesarstone Raven sample a few times with the bottom edge of a heavier skillet and I'm not loving the results. True, I whacked it very hard in just the right way, but I was thinking about the abuse the countertop might take by the undermount sink. The little nick doesn't bother me as much as the lighter color that shows through.

I should have put something in the picture to give it a sense of scale. The sample is 4"x4" so the nicks are small, but they are noticeable from a couple feet away because of the color variation. With a different color Caesarstone it may not be as easy to see.

I wonder if those who have used Caesarstone have had a problem with nicked edges. I feel like this might not happen with an eased edge.

{{!gwi}}

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I love the look of Caesarstone. But when I gently wacked the edges of my samples last spring I got the same results as you mpagmaon. I also got the same result when I dropped a knife on the sample. Seeing the white chips in the dark Caesarstone Concrete and Raven made me worried enough that I ended up not getting quartz.

Yet, very few people who actually have the slabs installed report any problems. I am having trouble resolving my results with the sample and the very good results people have who have installed it.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ANy stone with a sharp corner will chip here and there.
    In fact, any material at all with a sharp corner will be damaged by whacks.

This is not specific to C-stone or to engineered stone or to stone

Bullnose edge is the rounded edge that many people have.
    Full bullnose is one type.
    Half bullnose is another.

Any person with experience whacking things until they chip or show damage will confirm to you that the larger the radius of curvature the more it resists and the less damage it exhibits. Ask around.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I understand that anything with a sharp corner will chip, but I didn't like the look when it did. Wouldn't you be able to oil or wax soapstone so that it is a uniform color even if it has a nick or chip?

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

i would think so mpagmom...its all the same material under the top layer since its a natural stone, where quartz is not. i know when i talked to a guy at dorado, he said the "pro" to soft ss is that scratches can be easily sanded out" where as the harder varieties are harder to scratch but a bit harder to sand out the scratches.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I still like the Raven though. Today we wrote on it with permanent marker and got it out with a magic eraser. Smarge said after two years that she just had a couple nicks around the sink. The chances of someone whacking it that hard with the bottom of a pan are pretty slim (and they'd only do it once because I'd kill them...).

• celineike
    12 years ago

HI Kaite!
    Thank you for the sweet shout-out!
    I have to say your kitchen was a HUGE inspiration to me! I'm sure you can tell by all of the things i stole! :o)
    It's so sweet that you are now inspirited by mine.
    I still love the entire kitchen and the counters SO MUCH!!! I think my DH is totally sick of hearing me say it - daily!

The Caesarstone (or rather Qortstone in Cemento same as CS Concrete) is holding up very much as expected. It's the main no-worries-counter.
    I love this about it but I think I chose it because I'm not a huge fan of busy granites. I wanted a smooth look. I have always loved the look of soapstone but finding a slab of that, that was perfectly even colored seemed too much work. (And it's hardly as tough as a granite type of surface)

I wanted something that hinted at modern but didn't take away from the older classic details going on as well.

I can't wait to see what you come up with next - no pressure - but Im so sure it's gonna be cool!

Celine

• katieob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all.

Celine~ Thank you so much for the info. Things really come full circle on the Kitchen Forum! I would love to see pics of Cemento/Concrete and will email you. Appreciate it.

As for the questions about why I'm not using soapstone and marble again~

I have loved the warmth of wood topped islands I've seen, especially walnut. I knew going into this remodel that I wanted a walnut island top.

My calacatta marble was so gorgeous and felt great. However, it has doubled in price and to be totally honest, I'm not sure if I want to deal with the etching this time around. It didn't even bother me in the last kitchen-but I'm thinking of my babies growing into children and being busy and active in the kitchen and I just don't want to have to think about the counters. Also, we're planning 3 windows over the sink & I'm afraid the light might shine directly on the inevitable etching around the sink should I use marble. I would never advise against it. I just don't know if I want to sign up for the patina for the next few decades....

Soapstone is awesome. I just want a softer grey color and I wasn't too successful at the unoiled approach. Mine looked to me like soapstone that needed to be oiled.

I am just drawn to the even, smooth surface and quiet grey of the CStone in concrete. For now. Who knows?

Maybe I just want to try out some different things that I didn't use the first go round. I just better get it right because barring anything crazy, this is our forever home.

Thanks all for your input. I'm open to any other thoughts.

Katie

• ellaf
    12 years ago

Katie,

My counter tops are caesarstone concrete. They are nine months old with an eased edge and about 1 inch thick. I got what I wanted, an easy to maintain neutral surface. No problem with nicks. I got excellent customer service from both the installer and the regional salesperson, they went above and beyond to make me happy.

• katieob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ellaf~

I just saw this! Thank you so much! Pictures are so great & I love the Caesarstone in your kitchen. A great help, so thanks!

Katie

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Katie
    Do you have a link to your last kitchen? All these posts got me curious to see it! I'm considering doing marble : )

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I feel so very out of the TKO loop reading this post; and, in 'listening in' realize that the core group of you who stick around on this board are a wonderful and rich resource! Thanks!!

Ellaf: what is that beautiful wood used in your kitchen? It looks stunning with the CS concrete - are they oak? Light and open even with the dark countertop.

I, too, would love to see your last kitchen, Katie. Please, someone post!
    -BT

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi All:

Here is the kitchen eye candy you are clamoring for: Katieob's former kitchen
    (found, of course, in my inspiration folder).

Katieob -- hope you don't mind that I'm sharing the love....

{{!gwi}}

• francoise47
    12 years ago

There are several older threads of GW that show pictures of Katie's former kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos of Katieob's former kitchen

• ellaf
    12 years ago

Katie - glad I could help
    BT - the cabinets are 15 year old woodmode cabinets that came with the house, I'm not sure what the wood is. They are in great condition and the existing layout functions so well we kept them.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

Too bad (for me). Lucky for you!! They are really quite nice.

I wondered if they are QS white oak? At all similar you think??

• capecodder
    12 years ago

I havd 7 or 8 year old quartz counters, zodiac brand. Absolutely no chips on the counters' front edges, 2 or 3 on the sink edge. No one but me would notice them. I have eased edges.