Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

SMARGE- your backsplash?

chinchette
14 years ago

SMARGE, you may have told the story of your backsplash before, but I couldn't find anything on searching. I LOVE it. I would love to hear the story of what occurred with your ex-designer in regards to the backsplash. So there was some controversy, eh? I can see why they became your ex. Also, who did the back splash? How did you or they come up with that idea?

I've been toying with the idea of taking up mosaic and your backsplash is a definite inspiration. I'd like to hear more about it. I think that it totally makes your kitchen. Its my favorite thing I've seen on the forum.

Comments (26)

• needsometips08
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, me too! I want to hear the story. I heard the very condensed version only.

My favorite thing (besides the mosaic itself, which is fabulous) is that your ex-KD (or whoever he was) gave you so much verbal abuse and then turned out SO very wrong. Having a cabinet guy that makes me feel bullied into "his way", that we are on the verge of cutting ties with, I am pleased to hear that us peon-know-nothing-merely-homeowner types actually can have a vision in mind, know what we want, and then shock of all shocks, it actually turns out stunning :-) Unbelieveable, yet possible ;-)

• prill
    14 years ago

bumping this up to get the story too.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm curious what bad design effect they thought it might create. I'm wondering what were they thinking.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump...

• prill
    14 years ago

bump

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump..

• prill
    14 years ago

looks like smarge is away... Did you try e-mailing her from her profile page?

• kelvar
    14 years ago

Pictures, I need pictures!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

Sorry I haven't checked GW for a while!

I'll happily post more pictures of my backsplash, and am happy also to share contact info re: the wonderfully talented mosaic artist I found online, named Cynthia Fisher.

My husband and I have always loved a "Tree of Life" - it represents home, family, lifecycle - all good things we have always prioritized and wanted to honor in our kitchen, the "heart of the home".

We both also love intricate mosaics and wanted a creative, artistic backsplash to make our kitchen less of a boiler plate, "classic" white kitchen. This is where our former designer's vision differed from ours. I'll go into those issues in another post below the pictures -

Here is the final sketch Cynthia came up with after many conversations and trials, along with her planned tile colors -

From that sketch, we had many back and forth emails approving the actual mosaic which came to life as she worked on it in her studio in Mass. I'd make suggestions and tiny changes along the way. It is a very difficult thing for an artist to take direction from a non-artist (many simply won't do it!) and Cynthia was wonderfully patient and tolerant to help us arrive at an end product that we would love in our home!

As she worked, she'd send progress pictures for approval to make sure we liked the budding work of art.

- we removed apples from the tree and altered colors a bit. She explained that the grays in the planned grout color would tone down colors at installation. It was a wonderful learning process!

Here is a final "proof" before she put the tiles on backer -

We hired Cindy and her husband to come to our house for the installation. She usually does not do this, but agreed for our project since we were having terrible issues with our GC's tiler and we didn't want these works of art ruined by poor installation. They arrived early one morning, worked all day, stayed one night in a hotel, worked the whole next day and finished. Not inexpensive, but imo we have a true work of art, as the artist intended it to be, as a result!

And, finally, here is the final result for the Tree of Life mosaic installed!

Cindy used tiny pieces of mirror in the Tree mosaic that, along with the blue tree and the Chagall-like birds, lent the mosaic a surreal/fantastical feeling.

A closer look -

This mosaic was created to compliment the Tree of Life mosaic, without being too similar. It was inspired by an actual Chagall lithograph, with the color of the vase being chosen to coordinate with the "Raven" Caesarstone countertop. The "fantasy" feeling found in the tree is not present in these sunflowers and there is no mirror used. The background mosaic beautifully makes the transition between the different feel of each main mosaic.

Here is the inspiration for the sink mosaic - I love how Cindy translated it into mosaic!

Another view of the sink mosaic -

A funny thing is, we focused so much on the two main mosaics that we didn't really focus on what the general background would look like and really LOVED what she did with the curving waves of neutral whites, grays and iridescent tiles!

Here is a long view of each total backsplash to help give the overall effect in the kitchen

And the stove mosaic is perpendicular to the sink mosaic -

• peggross1
    14 years ago

How could I forget to provide a link to Cindy's website, Big Bang Mosaics?!

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Bang Mosaics website (Cynthia Fisher)

• peggross1
    14 years ago

OK, now briefly about my designer. In hindsight I realize that she was interested in achieving a very serene effect throughout our home, using whites, grays and blacks everywhere.

While we are happy to be guided do things in a "classic" and "sophisticated" way, we also want to add our splash of personality to our home to make it ours.

Back when I was still optimistic that the designer was interested in what WE liked and wanted in our home, I sent her a photo of the mosaic, well in progress, so she could add the knowledge of what we were doing in the kitchen and hopefull gain a better understanding of what we would like for the rest of our home. Here is what I wrote her -

"I thought you might be interested to see the direction we are taking with the kitchen back-splash." That's it.

Here is the reply I received.

"If you would like my opinion, I think that it is too much color and way too busy. I would tone it down. I think that you have to be careful and there is a fine line between an eclectic mix of materials that makes a kitchen interesting yet gives it an overall "serene"
    and well thought out feeling and it looking like way too many different elements that compete with one another. You have to remember that you will also have all sorts of accessories, etc.

I like the Tree of Life, yet would like it to be more subtle. It may fight with the beautiful island stone and everything else you have going on."

This from the woman who, when I changed the orientation of my island so that we would have seating for 4 along the curve where you see my son sitting above, almost lost it! She called me one morning to say she was up all night worrying that I was going to ruin my kitchen and that all she could see when looking toward the stove was a bunch of stool legs!

Many times she insisted that if only I would trust her and just let her do what she feels is best, I will end up with a truly sophisticated, well-designed home. After she chose nothing but grays for most of my walls and was seriously pressuring me to paint my mudroom bead-board and woodwork a high gloss black (again, "trust me, it will be so sophisticated!"), I decided to stop paying someone to insult and harass me and did the rest myself.

Here is my mudroom - you tell me if it would be better a shiny black everywhere there is white!

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

"Many times she insisted that if only I would trust her and just let her do what she feels is best, I will end up with a truly sophisticated, well-designed home."

I am starting to think this a HUGE cue for "walk away now". Our very-likey-soon-to-be-fomer cabinetmaker said that from the get go also. Early on, my friend was with me around him, and she commented on it, saying it makes her stomach turn when a professional says that. I thought, "well there is a reason why they are the professional and maybe she has trouble trusting people, but I am hiring a professional with the aim of hopefully being able to trust them more than the average Joe cabinetmaker".

Now I know better because that's the response I got for most of my questions. No explanation or viable answer, just trust me....and then irritation when I didn't accept that as an acceptable answer.

I am sorry, but when you are spending enormous amounts of money, and you will live in this space for years and the ONLY investment they have in this kitchen is their reputation (and you can't necessarily depend on that - it's importance varies from one person to the next), a customer needs a WHY and an explanation. Trust me is NOT good enough. Maybe after they've done your kitchen, master bath, and laundry room and you KNOW you can trust them, fine, but not in the first job, and these professionals should know that is one of the ramifications of their job. Trust has to be earned, and likely won't come till deep into the project or at completion. So saying trust me does nothing and means nothing.

OK, vent over ;-)

Smarge, as with the first time I saw your backsplash and gushed over it, it's gorgeous! I love that you have 2 of them. They are both soooo pretty and fun! Love it!!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Smarge, I became a huge fan of your kitchen the moment I laid eyes on it. But, this additional series of posts endears me to your kitchen -- and to you-- even more! I'm so happy you gave your designer the boot! Had you not, we may never have had the chance to see your kitchen looking this personally creative and gorgeous. (I had a somewhat similar experience with my ID towards the very end of my project when I guess he just ran out of patience with having to act more in the role of a "consultant" on MY ideas rather than me acting as a submissive client of his.) IMO, your kitchen stands as one of the best examples why we need to trust our gut instincts and go with the things we love. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: you did one helluva fabulous job!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

Thank you!

I do have to admit, I don't know if I would have had the courage to just do what I wanted if we hadn't hired her. After hiring her, and forcing myself to think through "yes, I really DO want this or that instead of what she is pushing", I probably was forced to figure out what I really wanted. I may never have become as confident without being challenged. Does that make sense? You can second guess yourself crazy if you are considering doing something bold by yourself, and having a "professional" to bounce the ideas off probably helped me learn a lot, including how to fine tune what I thought I wanted into what I KNEW I wanted.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Yes, Smarge, I know exactly what you mean! I don't mean to imply that my ID wasn't a tremendous benefit to me. He was! But my own (untrained) art and design sensibilities and the great advice and examples of the incredible folk on this forum combined to make me the kind of client who just couldn't sit back and let the ID simply dictate how my kitchen was going to be. I like to think that my ID on this project was my GPS system. I gave him the destination, but he suggested the best route to get there. At times, I would follow every roadway and turn he suggested exactly. Occasionally, though, I would override him and take a route of my own. This would then result in either of us "recalculating." The more time I spent with him, the more I learned. I also became increasingly more confident that I could get to the final destination with my own sense of the route. Of course, I could have done that in the first place and never hired an ID to begin with. But, like you, I felt I really wanted/needed a professional to be my guide in previously untraveled terrain. I don't regret having hired him but I do believe, by project's end, that he felt he wasn't needed. I didn't agree but . . . c'est la vie!

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Smarge, you have my very favorite backsplash of all times, bar none. The first time I saw it, what popped in my mind was "Marc Chagall", so I think it's funny that the sunflowers were inspired by him. To me, the tree screams him. Somewhere upstairs I have a book of gardens in Georgetown in DC. Chagall was a friend of the couple that owned one of the gardens and he did a mosaic mural on a wall in their garden. It is stunning. I'll go see if I can scan the photo and post it here...stay tuned!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

ooooo, I would love to see a picture of the garden mosaic!

Actually, the Tree WAS supposed to be inspired by Chagall as well; both mosaics were, which helps to tie them even though they are so different in feel. However, most people say the sunflowers remind them of Van Gogh - not to me - Here's Van Gogh -

My mosaic artist had actually seen a gorgeous, huge Chagall mosaic in person in Chicago. I'll post a link below. Having seen this mosaic helped inspire her to come up with her unique Tree of Life for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chagall Chicago Mosaic - 4 Seasons

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

smarge, I'm a little scanner-challenged. The book has two photos of the mosaic. One is a little larger, but has the book binding in the center. The other is smaller. Neither turned out great.

Can you imagine having this in your back garden. I don't think I'd ever come inside (unless, of course, I had your backsplash). Enjoy!

{{gwi:1918309}}
    {{gwi:1918310}}

• crzyktchnlady
    14 years ago

Early in my planning process, I found an article on a truly unique and personal kitchen in a design mag. It wasn't for me, but it was beautiful. The article highlighted this quote from the homeowner: "Kitchen design isn't a popularity contest. You have to please yourself, not everyone else." I cut that quote out and put it on my kitchen wall. I would read it over again every time someone told me not to do what I wanted. Smarge, You trusted your insticts and the result is beautiful, unique and personal, but still classy and timeless. I am so glad that you had the courage to follow your instincts to create a kitchen that will bring you joy. You are an inspiration!!!

• squigs
    14 years ago

smarge, I just have to comment on your backsplash. It is so incredibly lovely! I am not really personally into the kitchen mural look (although they are nice-looking, just not for me). But your entire backsplash, background and everything, makes me wish I could look at that in my kitchen every day. A beautiful work of art!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh thanks! This is exciting. I am definitely inspired to give it a go with mosaics now. It helps to see how the piece evolved.

I can see how it might have looked a little scary in the beginning if you can't get the concept of how the grout will tie it all together and make it less bright.
    Without the grout it looks too primary. With the grout it all comes together and looks sophisticated. And yes, it looks like Chagall.

So did she put the whole thing on one backer board, or sections put together?
    I am looking for the mirror pieces and I don't think I see them. Could you point out where they are?

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to get off my duff and create something!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

The mirrored pieces are pretty small and you don't really notice them even in person except when you walk by and are looking at the backsplash. Then they twinkle & flash at you - it's quite a pretty effect.

I'll try to zoom in on a piece. Here, I've pointed to one with the end of a wooden spoon and circled all I could find in the picture in red. I'm unable to capture the effect with a camera; you really have to see it.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. Yes, that is subtle, and I appreciate seeing it magnified.

• drjgreenberg
    14 years ago

Smarge- just realized we are practically neighbors here in NJ. I live in Short Hills. I am planning my renovation- and LOVE yours! So I'd love any tips or places you were happy with. Can I please get your cabinet maker (Rich?)'s info? Where is your Danby marble from?
    Thanks!

• peggross1
    14 years ago

drjgreenberg - Yes, we are pretty close! We live in Llewellyn Park in W. Orange and my kids actually go to school in Short Hills!

Our cabinet maker, as I'm sure you've read in other threads, is the #1 favorite sub our contractor used and we have hired him directly for many other projects which we love.

His name is Rich of Siena Woodworks in Rockaway NJ (973) 495-2000. He is talented, intelligent, calm (valuable on a busy job site!), and very good at planning details in advance. If I knew then what I know now, he absolutely would have done my kitchen (although I am still happy having worked with my KD bc I had no clue when I started planning the kitchen. I used Jeff Kennedy who works out of The Sawhorse in Millburn. I just would have preferred cabinets by Rich instead of the Kountry Kraft I bought.)

We bought our Danby marble from Dente Trading in Cedar Grove http://www.dentetrading.com/about_dente.html

I would not recommend our fabricator.

We also sourced some beautiful tile (natural stone as well as high quality porcelain) through Stone Source in Carlstadt http://www.stonesource.com They have a nice showroom with gorgeous, very unique stone and tile. They have a lot of product in stock and can show you slabs, etc. They aren't just a showroom.

In fact, if you like the look of a stone called Lagos Azul, they have a porcelain tile that looks exactly like it for much less cost and WAY less maintenance! (Their Stontech/1.0 in the color Stongrey 6.0. It's what I used for the floor in my mudroom as well as sheets of 2x2 tiles for the shower floor in my guest bath as well as the dog shower in our garage.)

Another excellent showroom for tile ideas is Artistic Tile in NYC. We bought all the various sizes of Carrera Gold marble tile for our MaBa from them. We worked with Rachel Myerson, who was great. You should visit their one afternoon - it can be a good time, since they always have out pretty decent wine and cheese for their clients' pleasure!

Rachel Myerson
    ARTISTIC TILE, INC.
    38 West 21st Street
    New York, NY 10010
    Phone: 212-727-9331

Last, if you are in the market for new appliances, I recommend you go to Karl's in Orange (very close to W.Orange - take a right off Mt. Pleasant and it is about 110 yards on your left off Main St. - not at all scary.)

They will play the pricing game and no matter what you tell them, they won't give you the best price first. But, they will try to beat anyone else's price to get your business. Sort of slimy, but they have a good showroom and they have the 3.5 sales tax due to the depressed area.

I bought all my household appliances from Paul's Appliances in Newark. Very nice guy named Dominick who has been there forever and isn't going anywhere. Same tax break at Karl's, much smaller place, but much to see on their second floor, and a bit scarier to drive to alone, but not horrible. Excellent customer service (they took delivery of my appliances WEEKS before my GC was ready to accept them at no charge and other things I don't want to post online.) Their price was the LOWEST 1st quote I got from anyone else, often including online retailers! His first quote is his final quote, no games. However, I think Karl's would have tried to beat the prices, but the sliminess turned me off.

If money is the key driver, I'd get a quote from Dom and get Karl's to beat it. If you want a retailer who will stand behind the sale - just a more pleasant experience overall, I think you can't beat Paul's in this business.

Let me know if you need other info - I'm happy to "give back" to GW'ers, especially someone local to me!

Good luck to you!

• drjgreenberg
    14 years ago

Smarge, thanks sooo much for your great info. I will definitely buy my appliances from Pauls (I appreciate the straight shooters...) and I will call your cabinet maker. If I go with Dente, I may ask you the name of who should NOT fabricate my stone! Your kitchen is gorgeous!