Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allie22031

Pictures of 'calm' backsplashes needed

allie22031
13 years ago

On the #1st attempt thread some folks recommended that I calm the ideas down as to not complete with the granite. I am struggling to visualize and was hoping for some pictures from you all.

thanks

Allie

Here is a link that might be useful: attempt #1

Comments (12)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

A simple ceramic, light color drawn from your feature tiles, would make a nice field/backdrop to the dramatic tile behind the stove. You can do a herringbone, diagonal or other interesting layout, but using the "calmer" tiles.
    Maybe have a rope liner along it with a frame in the same rope around your feature..... either in the same color as the field or in a darker color also pulled from the feature and/or counter (but not too much contrast).

I agree with the previous poster about not using more mottled toned tiles since you have the natural movement in the counter and floor already. I usually am biased that way as I think that natural movement, while lovely if done in balance, can be easily overdone.

As a r.e. agent, I see recently done kitchens all the time and can't recall too many that weren't filled with tumbled stone, which are pretty but very popular around here. I think the calmer tiles will be more classic for the long haul.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

How much countertop lighting is installed under the upper cabinets?
    Can you take a picture of this after dark?

Look at the lightest shades in bisazza or hirsch glass strips. http://www.hirschglasscorp.com/product.asp and think of combining it with something else. This is to generate ideas, this is not a recommendation for a purchase today.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg080006558343.html
    kitchenkelly has tile that
    - picks up one of the colors of the counter
    - is irregular shape (each line is of a different height, each tile is of a different width) a bit like subway tile stretched out into random lengths and heights
    - has a few small square tiles here and there too, to attract the eye
    - is basically plain when seen as raw tile in the box
    So, it both attracts attention and doesn't. Subtly doing both.

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash calmer than counter

• steelerfan_2010
    13 years ago

Here is my backsplash that I consider calm. I think our granite colors may be similiar.
    {{!gwi}}

Also, the accent behind the cooktop.
    {{!gwi}}

Good luck with your backsplash!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Here is my backsplash. I needed calm because my cabinets wood is busy.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Check the Finished Kitchens Blog (FKB). There are a couple of backsplash links in the navigation panel on the right of the FKB (Finished Backsplashes Slideshow & Inspirational Backsplashes).

Additionally, you can check out the countertop category in the FKB Categories. Find your granite "color" and see what others have done...

Good luck!

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

This is my first attempt at posting a photo, so I'm crossing my fingers it'll work. I apologize because the picture is a bit dark.

Anyhow, this is my backsplash, which I consider pretty calm. It's glossy marble, so not totally quiet, but there is no pattern in it, so it doesn't stand out.

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

steelerfan I am loving your backsplash and also behind the stove. Gorgeous!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Sugar Maple - Your back splash is quiet and lovely. What exactly is the stone you used, where did you get it? Thanks.

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

Thanks, sparklekitty. It's polished Crema Marfil marble, and I got it here in Toronto.

I've also got the 12 x 18 Crema Marfil tiles in my front hall and in the teeny powder room by the kitchen.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like all the examples posted! I think countrygal's, in the right colors for your counter, would be especially nice.

• User
    13 years ago

I picked a color from my granite (baltic brown) for my backsplash. I found that it really pulled the whole kitchen together, and it's pretty quiet.

I like your choices, you might consider using one strip with the blue and browns as the listello, I think just the lighter tile might be a "little too calm".

Good luck.