Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkelly_gw

Another Finished White Kitchen...But I have morgue drawers

kitchenkelly
16 years ago

OK, after 24 weeks it is close enough. I am 99.5% done.

Here are two befores:

Here are the afters: Layout didn't change much at all. I love my bigger window and the fact that the soffits are gone!

And the morgue drawers (thanks to fori):

Closer view of the dreaded backsplash. (A nice, cheery grey. lol.) The lighting isn't very good to the right of the stove. The backsplash really matches all the grey in the granite.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with my decisions and got me through the craziness(even igloochic.)

Comments (105)

• teachersuzanne
    16 years ago

Wow! What an absolutley beautiful kitchen. We are doing the opposite of you, going from a white kitchen (which is terrible) to a wood kitchen. But I love your lighting, backplash and Snoopy! How long has it taken you from start to finish, kitchenkelly?

Congratulations!

• marlene_2007
    16 years ago

I love everything you've done. The kitchen and family room are beautiful. Your wall of windows around the fireplace is gorgeous.

Your "babies" are sooo cute.

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

suzanne, technically I am not 100% done but the bulk of the work was done in 4 1/2 months. (Then again, I kept adding on projects in other rooms.) I think it is so funny that I get compliments on Snoopy. He must be 10 years old and a little chipped up. lol. Good luck on your remodel!

marlene, thanks for the compliment on the windows. When people ask me what is my favorite thing in my kitchen, I say "my windows in the family room and kitchen." And yes, I agree my devil dogs are cute!

• kter
    16 years ago

Great job your selections in color and material are wonderful.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Hi kitchenkelly ~
    May I please archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so could you please submit the FKB Category Checklist?
    Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi starpooh. I think I filled it out correctly. I am not sure if I have an L-shape + peninsula or a U-shaped.

You are so wonderful to do all this work for us. You are the best!!

• cbreeze
    16 years ago

Wow, I love your windows.Can you tell me which brand you used, love your kitchen windows and your transom windows. Gorgeous

• igloochic
    16 years ago

KK :) I saw morgue drawers in a magazine today!!!! You've started a trend :oP Even cooler than my chickens heh heh

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks cbreeze. I am a huge fan of windows and upgrading them. The kitchen window is by Kolbe & Kolbe. They were the only company that had that small of a stock bow window (5 ft width.) The FR windows are by Marvin. I saw a pic in their catalog of something like my new set-up and asked my contractor if he could do it. They were all stock sizes. Since they were all painted white I didn't think that it mattered that the windows are not by the same company.

igloochic, what magazine?

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Country Almanac, #104 Small Room Decorating (purchased this week at Lowes)

The middle title says "Winners 100 Best Solutions for tight spaces"

Page 19. They make a point of saying what a wonderful idea they are :) I looked and looked and looked, and KK didn't get any credit for it!!! Evil magazine :oP

• sjerin
    16 years ago

Kelly With the Beautiful Kitchen-- do you mind my asking what you keep in your morgue drawers? I suppose the possibilities are endless.

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Darn, the patent hadn't come through yet so I am outta luck. I actually had thought about sending a pic to BH&G but never got around to it. I am sure they will be a huge hit for your magazine shoot.

sjerin, yes, it depends on alot of different things....the day of the week, my mood, my subs.... seriously it is pretty boring....one side holds big bags of dog food and the other holds tools, nails, garbage bags.... aka junk drawer.

• sjerin
    16 years ago

What a wonderful storage space to have and they look so good! Are they full extension?

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Oh honey I"m just copying the look of your banquette. My seating is in a bay window (not big enough for the morgue) so if I did keep...oh say an extra body...in there, I'd have to cut it up into pieces. But I do have 5 drawers in there....so I guess it's an option :oP

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sjerin, yes they are full extension so they are very deep. (But the corner space is empty.) They are a good idea for me because I am using the drawers for things I use every day. I know I would not use them much if they had lids or if I had to move the table out of the way. That said, it would be good for storage of items that are not used frequently.

igloochic, you are so weird. Even though you do not have authentic morgue drawers, I would switch with you for that gorgeous lake view and bay window.

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, it is tacky to bump your own thread but mine was on the last page, ready to fall off and I haven't figured out how to save it forever. Can't find the thread on doing that. If I remember right, saving to your clippings doesn't work because it goes away after the post drops off?

BTW, the reason I want to keep this thread because it is such a great memory of all the nice comments everyone posted. I always try to remember to post after someone finishes their kitchen because I know how much it meant to me.

• Fori
    16 years ago

It's not tacky if you post new pictures. Halloween pictures, perhaps.

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Go away, fori. LOL. (That did crack me up.) Nothing new in the drawers for Halloween. Never did get around to buying that light fixture you suggested.

• cmeltzer
    16 years ago

I love every. single. thing. about your kitchen.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

That's right--we need to see some fresh blood, I mean, new stuff with Halloween right around the corner........

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

I love the morgue drawers! We have an area that could do with window seats, so I might be stealing your idea :-).

Love, love the backsplash. I know the feeling of losing one's soffits,lol

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

maybe you can make up for your tackiness by posting info on the drawer slides your cabinetmaker used for your morgue drawers?

i bet people might find that really useful.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

(I didn't mean that *I* thought you were tacky, btw; just playing along w/ you)

• Fori
    16 years ago

I'm thinking of morgue drawers at the end of a stubby peninsula to avoid having a wasted corner. Like pet size.

Anyway, where's the floor plan sketch?

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you, cmeltzer.

catmom, I will see what I can dig up in the back yard. (Those pods are too expensive for excessive storage.)

maripostrabananarama, thanks for the compliment. And oh, how happy I am that those soffits are gone.

talley sue, LOL, I knew what you meant. I linked a thread on hardware that had links on it. I have no idea how the drawers were made. The cabinet guy did them.

Fori, you really want a sketch? I have one but how would I post it? I don't have a scanner. I suppose I could take a pic of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: more morgue drawer info

• brutuses
    16 years ago

kelly, I couldn't find the Divine Moss on the BM site? Is it their paint? Could it have been renamed? I know they changed some names of some of their paints. Thanks

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey, brutuses. I didn't do a very good job on my details. The BM White Dove is on the cabinets. The moss green color is by the Devine Company. Sorry about that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Devine Paint

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Hi kelly--a quick question--how are you liking the Simplice? I'm thinking of replacing our PP Contempra with it--they're VERY similar, but the Simplice has a wider reach, which would help with splashing issues we're having onto the wood window...do you have the 647 or the 648 (smaller size)? Would you buy it again today? Thanks in advance for any info.

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, flyleft. I do have the bigger one and would buy it again. When I do splash it is because I left the spray on by mistake the last time I used it. If it does spray, I have the painted surfaces so it wipes up pretty well.

I just looked up the PP Contempra. It is pretty. I can see why you chose it.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Kelly,

I really like what you did in the kitchen, it's very classic and serene. I hope I can accomplish something similar when I do mine. I like some of the small changes, like replacing the angled upper cabinets in the corner with cabinets at right angles to each other.

How do you like your KA range? Is it LP or natural gas? Is it powerful enough? (I'm going to lose quite a bit of BTUs when I convert to LP.)

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

egganddart, thanks for the nice compliment. LOL on the changing the angled upper cabinets. NO small change. The reason there was an angle was that the furnace and water heater were vented there. The furnace was replaced and side vented a year before the remodel. I had to replace a gas water heater with an electric one to get that angle out. It was worth it but it cost about $1200 for everything.

The KA range is natural gas and fine with me but I am not a big cook at all (the name kitchenkelly came to be because of the kitchen remodel not because I spend time in there.) I have heard that some people have had issues so I would suggest getting some more advice. Have you done a search on the appliance forum? I just did on "kitchenaid range" and a bunch showed up.

Good luck!

• summertime_fun
    16 years ago

Kitchenkelly, I like your contrast and beautiful white cabinets.
    But, I especially need to ask you questions on your banquette.
    Dimensions please, and approximate cost of building.
    What materials are used? and anything else you can think of.
    I think this is the exact look i am thinking of for my kitchen. I will show my contractor, but I sure don't want it to cost a bundle.
    thanks

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

summertime fun, I didn't get an itemized list for my cabinets. It was one big amount from the local custom cabinet guy. The length of both sides are approx 4 feet. The height of the bench is 16" with a 2" cushion which gets you to a 18" standard chair height. I know the material is maple like the rest of the cabinets. They are basically just hollow boxes with drawers added. The corner is empty. The angled back was added on site.

I read alot of magazines and noticed that many kitchen seating benches are made using standard cabinets.

Good luck with your kitchen. Hope that helps.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Well, I for one am glad you so tackily bumped up your kitchen pics. ; ) It got right by me (the cottage forum is my second home) the first time around. It is gorgeous and you can tell you put a lot of thought into all the details. Love those morgue drawers - too funny! : ) Weren't you the one who had the Halloween pics with the dogs "arm" wrestling? My DH and I got the biggest kick out of that pic. : )

Hope you drop by the cottage more often. Things are slowing down a bit but those of us in the warmer zones are still posting pics. Come see us!

Diana

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Hi kelly,

Thanks for your feedback. I sure am glad it was positive because I went ahead and "won" one on eBay yesterday before I saw what you wrote--would have been bummed if you'd said you hated it :)

And yes, the contempra looks so much like the simplice--it's like the kohler people asked contempra users how they'd improve it and then ran with the suggestions! I got the bigger one yesterday and am looking forward to its arrival.

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, angelclub. First, thanks for reminding me of my tackiness. LOL.

I love stopping by the cottage garden forum. (The bad thing is that the only thing I have been able to contribute is my trimmer.) I love the beautiful gardens and hope I can get mine to look better next year.

Funny that you mention my morgue drawer post because I saw the pic from your friend. What a hoot! I couldn't decide if they were shelties or collies. Can't believe your friend could get four dogs to pose together! For anyone who needs a giggle, click on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: angelclub's Halloween post.

• penina
    13 years ago

Hi Kitchen Kelly - Your new kitchen looks great. Love the backsplash, too, as others have said. We are thinking of using the oceanic bluestone (aka basalt or lavastone) in our kitchen, too. We received a sample that had horrible glue stains showing through from the backside. Replacement sample looked fine, so we have been assured the stains were a fluke. I was wondering if you are still satisfied with your backsplash. No problems with staining? Thanks!

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi penina, The backsplash still looks great - no staining ever came through the back. It was such a big decision and I am very happy with it three years later. I think it was sealed and probably could be done again behind the stove. I do see a few new grease splatter spots.

Thanks for bumping my thread. It was fun to see it again. Good luck with your kitchen!

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!!
    We have a creme granite and want to do white cabinets. LOVE your backsplash!!! Really a beautiful space.

How are you liking your Kitchen Aid range? I LOVE the look of it but the reviews weren't outstanding. Are you happy with it? +s, -s

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

Just looked again. LOVE your tile!! Where did you purchase it?

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    13 years ago

So fun to be reminded of Kitchen Kelly and her morgue drawers. They are pretty cool, as is the rest of the kitchen. Wow, that was back in 2007. Just how long have I been hanging out at this site anyway? We are actually in the midst of demo for our kitchen remodel-long time coming. So far so good.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

A stunning kitchen! Love the backsplash. Someday we will do our built in and want morgue drawers just like yours.

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ejbrymom, yes I do like the Kitchen Aid. I am not a big cook but I do like the Power burner. (Plus I liked the look of it.) The tile is from a local store in MN. I am sure if you Google it you can find a retailer in your area. Thanks for the compliments. Fun to see people like it after three years.

Hi hockeychik. It is hard to believe it has been three years. Just when all the remodeling nightmares went away I decided to start on the second floor. Nothing compared to the first floor (and no kitchen.) Good luck with your kitchen!

bostonpam, let's get some morgue drawers on the East Coast!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. It is so nice not to be TKO. It is so funny to think how bad I was. Could have used an intervention but I hung around a site with some worse than me ;-o

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I LUV THE MORGUE DRAWERS!!! Your kitchen is awesome, my favorite color is gray so I am quite enamored of your overall look with the white...very striking. Congratulations!!!

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm. The vampiressrn likes the morgue drawers. Who would have thunk?

Seriously, thank you for your nice comments. If you need to store somebody, I mean something. Let me know.

• spayurdog
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning, KK! I'm hoping to achieve something similar in my own kitchen, though it's super tiny (8' x 10'). I thought I definitely wanted inset doors, but after seeing your cabinets and also pinkroots, I've decided to go with the euro style. I especially love your shaker crown. Would you be willing to share details, i.e. measurements of each layer? Also, is your floor tile 12 x 24? I'm in MN, too (Rochester), did you by chance use a KD? Wish I could afford one, but am trying to go it alone. You've done an amazing job--what a beautiful home. Love the window seat!

• spayurdog
    13 years ago

Oops! I mean banquette, not window seat. Plus, the other kitchen I love is calypsochick at pinkroots blogspot. Also, as long as you are getting your tape measure out, how wide are the vertical slats on your powder room paneling? Is the horizontal board at the bottom wider than the vertical boards? I would like similar craftsman style paneling on my back porch, but can't find dimensions anywhere.

Thanks Kelly!

• VJL147
    9 years ago

The built in banquette looks great! I have a similar project I'm about to start and want to build it myself. What are some of your measurements? Total height of banquette, seat width, back rest width at top and bottom,seat height, seat depth. Do you have pictures of just the framing or framing measurements. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance....

• corgimum
    9 years ago

Hey VJL147- I think you sent me an email asking these questions about my banquette but you don't have your account set up for me to reply. You can send it again with your email address in the body of your message and I will respond.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Wow, the after pics are beautiful! I love the dark floors and matching BS. I have soffits too and can't wait to rip them out and get taller cabinets.