Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmgard_gw

In a fix... Need backsplash and other design ideas! (pics)

kmgard
14 years ago

I am flat-out of decision-making abilities. We're getting close now, just need to paint and add a backsplash! The problem is, I love my floor with my cabinets. I love my granite with my cabinets. I do not, however, love my floor with my granite with my cabinets.

I am not a designer. DH and I picked the floor and cabs before we decided to splurge on granite. I was going to go with a simple white-ish shimmery laminate, but instead we ended up with coast green granite because we fell in love with the slab! Now I'm afraid we made a terrible mistake because these three main elements do not seem to "mesh" very well together.

That's where you come in. My last hope is to come up with a backsplash and paint color that bring everything together. I'd like to stay fairly neutral (good chance we'll be moving in about 4 years), and definitely not too expensive. We're tapped. I can also coordinate with some area rugs to tone down the floor a bit if you have any ideas...

See, the floor is a laminate (we have two very wild dogs), and I liked the pattern because it hides a lot of the hair and saves me from swiffering every day (this photo is just after install, before sweeping and quarter-round molding):

I LOVE my cabinets. They're stained alder wood:

And I love the granite, coast green:

But they just don't look that great together!

Flash:

No Flash:

I don't think it's so bad that it's beyond saving, but I know when to admit that I need help with my lack of design skills. If I had it to do all over again, we'd definitely pick a more neutral floor. But it's too late for that! Can you help me??

Comments (19)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think all 3 of your elements are GORGEOUS and don't despair... you can definitely marry everything together. Give me a little direction on the kind of material/look you'd like for your backsplash. Do you want glass, tumble stone, ceramic, porcelain, slate look? Do you prefer something more traditional, rustic, or contemporary. Just go with your first instinct on the answers... don't think too hard on what you believe would be the "right" thing to do. With that info... it'll be fun to search for the perfect compliment to your already beautiful choices.(which IMHO ALL go fabulously together)

• remodelqueen
    14 years ago

I just read your post yesterday about different granite slabs! I am so glad you chose the green :)

I think the floors look fine. Don't let yourself stress about it!! Once you choose a backsplash and decorate a little, it will be even more beautiful.

Maybe someone could photoshop some ideas for you. It really depends on what you like. Do you have anything in mind? I have light travertine subway tiles around my fireplace. I wonder if something like that would tie in your flooring color? Do you like white subway tiles?

Here is a link that might be useful: Travertine subway tiles

• kmgard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

remodelfla, thank you! That makes me feel so much better... Honestly, I love so many of the backsplashes I see that I really don't have a major preference. Actually that's not true-- I really love the look of glass, but I'm afraid that might be too difficult to DIY, and I'm just not sure a professional install is in the budget. After I posted this, I saw klutterkara's finished kitchen post with this photo:

I realized her granite looks similar to mine, and I really love her backsplash! But I don't know if I'd like it as much in my own kitchen, and again not sure about the expense...

Of the ones you listed, slate is the only one I can think of that I might want to stay away from. I love, love, love slate, but I don't think it would look right with my existing elements (but then, what do I know??). Oh, and the other thing I can tell you I'm not crazy about is those tiny little square mosaics. I feel like they might be too busy with everything going on in the floor and the counters. But there are always exceptions-- I LOVE the tiny square mosaics in smarge's backsplash, probably because they're in that gorgeous wavy pattern (of course, this would probably be way over my budget).

I guess my biggest concern is not to get too crazy, since resale is a factor. Wow that really didn't help at all, did it? :)

• msrose
    14 years ago

scoutfinch had this backsplash on her post. I think if you could find something like this, that has both the floor color and countertop color, it would look great.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: scoutfinch's post

• kmgard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

remodelqueen, those travertine tiles are beautiful! And thanks for the reassurance on the green... I was still pretty torn when we chose it, but now I'm glad we did (even though I have no clue how to decorate around it). Anyway, the light travertine would probably be a lot safer than the green glass, and maybe a little easier to install..?

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Here's one I immediatley thought of for you. Tell me what you like/dislike about it and choices from there can be narrowed. This is the Sumi-e glass tile from Mosaic Tile Source. {{gwi:1932721}}

• plants4
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what you should do to tie the colors together but I'd avoid another surface that is mottled like your granite and floor are. I think you need a solid color. To me that means no natural stone or glass backsplash.

• jimandanne_mi
    14 years ago

kmgard, you sound like me in trying to get my new living room colors to work. And guess what, it's all finally coming together! The key was having someone (a professional whose paint choices I'd seen in a builder's model house--DH threw in the towel and told me to call her!) who is really good with color. She told me which colors from my 2 patterned rugs, patterned sofa, and strong floor and coffee table stains--plus some semi-neutral chairs--to pull into the drapery panels. I finally found and ordered the fabric, it's here, and it's going to do just what she said.

Doing a kitchen should be easier (less competing elements, fewer choices), especially with the help of the many experienced people on this forum.

If you DiY, can you just paint the backsplash area for now while you work through the many great suggestions you will get? When you think you like an idea, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy several tiles in a similar size and color and see how they look at home. It's a pain to return things several times, but you'll get so you know which ones might work. I don't know what other sources you have for tile you will ultimately keep (we had lots of choices, but I spent most of my time at Virginia Tile (they were VERY helpful with design and color advice), The Tile Shop, Daltile, and a couple of local speciality tile places (esp. Beaver Tile for anyone in the Detroit Metro area).

Anne

• prill
    14 years ago

I just picked up a sample of a Grazia rixi tile today in a color called mandorla - it would look perfect with your granite. It's a cream color with a hint of the same green. Its a crackle tile with a little glimmer to it. If you search this site, you find a few people who have the rixi tile, although I haven't seen the mandorla color. The pictures in this link don't do it justice at all - you really have to see it in person. It's pretty reasonable, about $12.00/sq ft around here, and probably pretty easy for DIY.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.eastcoasttile.com/default.asp?LINKNAME=RIXI

• prill
    14 years ago

I just picked up a sample of a Grazia rixi tile today in a color called mandorla - it would look perfect with your granite. It's a cream color with a hint of the same green. Its a crackle tile with a little glimmer to it. If you search this site, you find a few people who have the rixi tile, although I haven't seen the mandorla color. The pictures in this link don't do it justice at all - you really have to see it in person. It's pretty reasonable, about $12.00/sq ft around here, and probably pretty easy for DIY.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.eastcoasttile.com/default.asp?LINKNAME=RIXI

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

oh prill... that is a pretty color!!

• kmgard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Such great suggestions! I like the slate that msrose posted, but after some talking, DH tells me he's not thrilled with the idea of going with natural stone because it might be difficult to clean. We are NOT clean cooks! The glass that remodelfla posted is STUNNING. I have never seen anything like it!! But I think fern4 is probably right... It might be almost too pretty with too much movement and could end up competing with the floors and counters. Anne, you're right-- I just need to experiment a bit and maybe ask at the tile shop for their suggestions.

And prill, wow! That looks similar to the green glass I posted, but ceramic would probably be much easier to DIY. I will definitely check that one out-- it's gorgeous! I bet it will compliment my counters without overpowering them. Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Can you tell me which photo you have posted is the most accurate in showing your colors. Each looks different, going from warm to cool. It would help me in finding you a solution ;-).

• kmgard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I had to go out of town for awhile, but now I can get back to this. I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions so far, but I thought I should post a few more pictures of the kitchen as a whole-- I also think these show the color a bit more accurately. In person, the cabinets look almost cherry (many people have thought they are cherry). The floors are fairly warm as well, but the counters definitely have a "cooler" look about them. Might be one of the reasons I'm having such a hard time with this...

NOTE: Please ignore all the wall color splotches-- those were done WAY back when I thought I was getting either white cabinets or a different counter top.

DH got me the flowers. He's deploying soon, so I'm hoping to have the backsplash and painting done before he gets back!

A little further to the right... This picture looks dark, but a storm was rolling in outside and I wanted to keep the light natural to better reflect the true colors:

Other wall (I know it would've looked nicer to have a counter-depth fridge, but we couldn't stomach paying $300 more for less space, and we weren't able to recess it into the wall):

So. That's it! I was hoping to wait for the "big reveal" before I posted photos of the entire kitchen, but I can't pick the backsplash and wall color myself. It's important I find something (maybe with the added help of some throw rugs and window treatments) that ties everything together.

I do kind of like how these green glass tiles look next to the green counters in klutterkara's kitchen, but I don't know if it would work in mine:

And I really like these ceramic tiles that prill posted (a bit more DIY-friendly than glass if I decide to do this myself), but would this end up making everything too green? And what about the wall color?
    {{gwi:1932725}}

Or should I go with something more traditional that will appeal to buyers in 3-4 years? Ack I don't know!!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Do you have a chunk of your granite that you can take with you to tile stores? I found that there was a HUGE difference between what looked good on paper, computer monitor, and in theory.... and what actually goes together in person! I think it would be enormously helpful for you to go to a (well-stocked) tile specialty store and spend an hour or so going through all the tiles with your granite in hand (and ideally a piece of cabinetry. To me, going to the store without them, and bringing tiles back to the kitchen seemed "backwards" and resulted in a whole lot of tiles that looked ridiculous in the room, even though I'd loved them in the store.

I looked at several of the Grazia tiles (including the Rixi line) and they're really pretty and affordable. There are several colors that might work with your granite, too!

I do like the glass tiles in your inspiration pic but remember that glass is usually pricier than ceramic. I DIY-ed a glass mosaic backsplash and it was very easy, but the tiles were small enough not to show thinset holidays. I think larger glass subways would be more challenging.

Good luck!!! I STILL haven't found the right tile for my backsplash!

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Kmgard,

There is no way you will be able to choose something for an unknown future buyer. At some point in time, we have all fallen for that and in hindsight wondered why did we let that influence us? The eventual buyer of your house might turn around and remodel it upon purchasing it... So, please don't let that be a major factor in your decision making.

The trick is to find the balance between making it too personal and you vs. generic enough that it will make you happy for the next four or so years but won't freak out potential buyers. For example you might like really like the idea of an orange or coral colored tile in there..... ;;)

Take a sample of all 3 materials... floor, counter and cabinet to the tile and paint stores with you. Use that to narrow down your possibilities and then bring those home with you to check out in your space in the various types of lighting that you experience in your home before making your final choices.

Looking over your materials... backsplash... I would look at your countertop and see what is the base color of that material and start with that for your backsplash material search. I think if you found something that had that color plus a reddish wood tone would be wonderful and wouldn't add another visual texture to your kitchen. Another possibility would be a creamy solid which would make a nice subtle contrast to your cabinets. Glass tile does come in a solid color as well as multi colored. I am not sure if I would go for a shiny material tho in your backsplash...

Ah, something that you might not have thought of is using a laminate for your backsplash. It comes in a wide variety of colors and textures, is easy to clean and won't be as outrageously expensive as some tiles can be. In your case I think it might be possible to put it up on backer board and thus easy to take down for a thorough cleaning if needed.

Paint... I would look to your cabinets and your floor for direction there. The cabinets are on the walls. Your floors and walls combine together to be the backbone of your room. I think you are on the right track with the "tone" of your wall splotches even tho they are for a previous color scheme.

• kmgard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I will just have to take a sample of my counters, cabinets, and floor to a tile place and see what they have to say. I was just afraid of going out there and feeling like an idiot because I'm depending on my backsplash to make everything look good together!

And you're right earth pal, I need to stop worrying so much about what future buyers might think and just enjoy this while I can!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

May I just say that I LOVE your granite and think it looks absolutely stunning with your cabinets! I think those Rixi tiles are very pretty and would look great. If you are worried about too much green why not do that tile in a neutral color. I also love Margie's kitchen and backsplash and if your budget permits I think the glass mosaic would be gorgeous in your kitchen.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I'd go with a creamy white tile - picking up from the granite and flooring.

I don't know what tiles my sister has but they're smooth and cleanable. her color would not be the color for you to use tho. just thought maybe someone would be able to tell the type of tile from pic. her background tile color is very light but somewhat mottled - not good for your kitchen.
    the tiles are 6x6 so should be easier for installation.

maybe you could put in a darker green accent tile with it to pick up on the green in the granite. maybe just a few above the stove to set that apart. there are others here who would know more about that - how to put just the right touch to it so it isn't overdone.

Here is a link that might be useful: