Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

Please help me with backsplash choice!!

scoutfinch72
14 years ago

Most of you probably remember from my past posts that this is a minor kitchen refresh. We've kept the cabinets, bought new SS appliances, installed new Wilsonart Laminate HD countertops in Raven Gemstone with a new SS sink and faucet. We will also be adding new hardware to the cabinets and installing a new SS vent hood. The wall color we picked (and already bought) is Benjamin Moore Prescott Green. On to the backsplash.

I thought I had decided to do a tumbled travertine subway backsplash and be done with it. However, I have changed my mind now that I've found some other very affordable alternatives that I like better. I'm having a hard time choosing between them, though!

Here is what our kitchen looks like today. I will be changing the light fixtures. I bought them too early in the process, lol:

Here is dh's choice, which I do like, but I don't know if it's too plain. These are 2x4 slate:

Here is the one I LOVE, but it is twice the price at $13.99 a square foot. It nicely plays on the blue in the countertop detail. Dh also thinks it is too "modern" (his word) for our house:

Another choice that I also love. Again, dh is worried it's too modern:

The other option is to use one or all of these colors of 3x6" glass subways, which are only $8.87 a square foot. The top green/blue is VERY close to the wall color we've chosen, too close to be used alone, but great as an accent:

Please help a design challenged homeowner?? Any votes one way or the other? I really want to make this decision and be happy with it! As usual I have a hard time visualizing how these will look when installed.

Comments (24)

• lilyinmtl
    14 years ago

Hi Scoutfinch, I was in the same position as you a few months ago when planning my kitchen remodel. At that time, I had no clue what a backsplash was until I stumbled upon this forum and realized what a difference a backsplash can make to a kitchen. My KD suggested a tile which at the time I thought was fine but very plain. When I saw what a difference a nice one can make, I set out to find something better. Yes, it cost more, but I didn't have much to cover and from what I can see, you don't either. My choice has made all the difference in my kitchen. It is similar to the 3rd choice you showed. At first. I refused glass tiles but changed my mind in the end and I'm glad I did. Here is my backsplash in progress. the grouting has not yet been done.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lilyinmtl
    14 years ago

oops, I like # 3, for obvious reasons! But I also find the look of a subway tile very classic so i would opt for the first of the 3 as it should be in contrast with your countertop.

• plllog
    14 years ago

The colors of the slate don't look right in the pictures. Maybe okay in person. :) The blue mini-bricks are going to bring out all the blue tones in the counters and steel. If you want a blue kitchen, they'll look great. If you wanted a blue accent, they might be too much.

The best color (at least on my monitor) is the blue-gray pencils. Yes, it's modern, but I don't think it's too modern at all for the kitchen as it stands. If you have a lot of "country" accessories (chickens, for instance), or chintzy florals, it might be weird. The long lines will draw the eye around the room, however, and should look really good!

If you want a dramatic look, you can use the glass tiles that match your walls, but change them by using some color in the grout. They'll pick up that color and pop up a bit, and look different in different lights. The dark color is too close to the countertop color and will make your kitchen look dark. The bottom option looks safe. It should totally work. It has a touch of warmth that brings the cabinets back in. But it's...safe.

My vote is for drama and the pencils. Second choice the bottom "safety" tiles.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Scoutfinch that's a great price! Where are you finding these tiles for that?

>

• cindyinct
    14 years ago

For the backsplash I like the first and the third, but I'd need to see it next to your laminate for a final choice. I have a question for you... from looking at your kitchen pic it looks like you have an undermount sink. Is that true? I've heard that you can do that with laminate countertops but don't know anyone who's done it... are you happy with the result?

• chihuahua6
    14 years ago

A little splash of modern mixes in well with more traditional style imo. I plan to do a mix in my master bathroom. The cabinets and fixtures will be traditional in style like the house but the glass tile backsplash around the tub and sink and the cabinet pulls will be more modern.

I think mixing it up with a splash of modern keeps things fresh.

I actually do like your slate choice. I like the mix of colors that blend with the cabinets and the counters.

I love glass tile but it is a lot of blue for my taste. I like just a splash of color but if you like it it would definitley work. I think the smaller mulitcolored glass tiles really make a bold statement whereas the single colored subway tiles give a subtler look.

I would get a larger sample of whatever you like best before you install it to be sure you like it enough to cover the wall with it.

Amanda

• msrose
    14 years ago

I like the 1st one.

Laurie

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

For me... the 3rd one. I think the 1st, though the colors are great; might look a little drab. The 2nd is too blue for the space (and I love blue). I think the 3rd one has visual interest and the colors act as both a compliment and accent.

• scoutfinch72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the fabulous advice!

lilyinmtl - thank you for the picture of your backslash! It is stunning!!

plllog - Thanks for the opinion on the slate. There is such a huge variety in the colors of the slate subway they carry so it's hard to know if what I get would be right. The sample I have looks a little better, but I still worry it will be too drab. I also really appreciate the opinion about the blue in the 1x2" tiles that I really like. I think that you might be right that it's too much blue. The sample I have is much smaller and so it is less overpowering, but I think it will be too much on the wall. Right now, I am leaning toward the grey pencils a bit more. There really isn't much of a blue hint in them at all, but they complement the slight blue in the counters and would work with the Prescott green wall color for certain. Here's a closeup of the counter:

Definitely no chickens or chintzy florals in this house. In fact, I'm mostly decorating the kitchen from scratch since this our first house and we didn't do much real decorating in our apartment kitchens.

I hadn't thought about mixing up the grout color along with the tiles that match the paint color. That's an interesting idea! I think the grey on the bottom (It's called Fog) would be quite safe, too.

blondelle - All of the tiles, except for the second one, are from Arizona Tile here in Utah. It's a chain that has locations in the west. The second one is from Tile Outlet. I was shocked at how inexpensive their glass subways are also! The grey pencils are $11.xx a square foot.

cindyinct - I need to get a sample of the pencil tiles so I can take pics next to the counter. I don't know why I didn't get one when I was there the other day! The picture is deceiving, I think. That is a SS drop in sink. I have never had an undermount sink so I figured I wouldn't miss it.

Amanda - thanks for the advice about mixing modern and traditional. I will plan to get a larger sample so I can see more before I decide. That is great advice!

remodelfla - I do see your point about the blue being too much in the second pic

Thank you msrose!

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Tile

• muscat
    14 years ago

scoutfinch,

first, nice job refreshing your kitchen! I like your countertop, especially now that I see it up close. I REALLY like the grey and white pencil tile you posted, and it would look great with the countertop, but it does seem a little modern compared to the rest of what you have. Your DH's slate pick seems a bit yellow on my monitor, but it made me wonder if a greyer slate wouldn't be about perfect. We have an Arizona tile in this area that I visited a LOT in the last couple of years, and there were several varieties of slate......I think one was called Ostrich, and at least as I remember it, I'd suggest checking it out! It may have been too green, but I remember it as grey and warm. (And very pretty!!!) I really promise I do not work for them, but I cannot say enough good things about Arizona Tile. At least here, they are by far the best tile place in service, price, friendliness, knowledge......

maybe put samples in the room and post some photos?

• scoutfinch72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

muscat - Thanks for the input! There is actually a sample of the Ostrich sitting on my counter right now. DH didn't put it on his list of likes so I had set it aside for now. I admit that I really like it with the counters, but it also feels really safe, like it needs just a little something more.

This is the website sample photo, but what I have is a little more subtle. I will try to take some pics in the room today once it recovers from dh cooking breakfast this morning.

Thanks for the feedback on Arizona Tile

• blondelle
    14 years ago

I think copper slate might work well with your counters. It's medium dark, but has a slight metallic sheen that gives it pizzaz. I do think the glass is pretty but maybe a little too modern for your style of cabinets. Here's a similar kitchen done with it as a backsplash. I would have to see them side by side to make sure the slate picks up the colors in the counter though. Many more photos of it on the net.

• muscat
    14 years ago

Love the cooper slate! It looks like quartzite- perhaps the same thing by a different color?

Regardless of the name, I think that sort of tile is available in lots of colors/hues, and I agree that the irridescence gives it a lot of pizzaz.

http://www.bridgat.com/files/Quartzite.jpg

http://www.petrasales.net/images/silver_gray_quartzite_z31r.png

http://www.urbanrelics.com/images/lime_green_quartzite.jpg

http://www.stonelocator.com/images/thumbnails/Copper%20Quartzite.jpg

• scoutfinch72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

blondelle - thanks for that picture. The copper slate is very pretty. I saw some similar tiles at the same showroom, but only in the 12x12. I don't think I want to go that large for my backsplash, but I will keep the color in mind.

muscat - thanks for those links! I did look at some quartzite while I was there too and have a pic below.

These are in front of the paint chip sitting on the counter. I couldn't get to the tile showroom today before they closed to get a sample of the stack tile, unfortunately:

same with no flash:

Does anyone think that I need to go with something with less texture because the counters have so much texture?

• blondelle
    14 years ago

You can get copper slate in all different sizes. Here's 6 x 6 tile used with a mosaic used by another person here. Scroll down a bit

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Slate Splash

• plllog
    14 years ago

I think the glass looks excellent with the counters, and agree that a large part of that is the smooth texture against the heavy texture of the counter. The stone looks heavy and busy.

If you decide on glass tiles, remember to get the manufacturer's instructions, which will tell you the materials to use for the bed and grout to keep the colors true. And do a test board, especially if you decide to mess with the grout colors. :)

• muscat
    14 years ago

I really do like that glass, I have to say. You'd have to be careful how you lay it out, so that the light blue doesnt get lost in the paint color, but I think it is do-able.

The slate that your hubbie picked out looks nice, too. In the photo without a flash (assuming that the colors are accurate) the tans of the slate really pick up some of the accent colors of the counter. At least in the photo, I like it better than the ostrich, and I may have to nix my previous comment about the "yellowness" of the slate.

But I really like that glass.....

• lady_iles
    14 years ago

Hi, Scoutfinch. I have to ask-- What kind of counter top is that? I love it!

• stretchad
    14 years ago

I would steer clear of too much blue in your kitchen. It has a tendency to bring out the orange in oak and could do the same in your cabinetry. I'd steer towards more natural or neutral colors, like silvery/gray (but not too blue of a gray!) which will tie nicely to your counters and your appliances

• scoutfinch72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks plllog - The longer the glass sits on the counters, the more I like it, honestly.

muscat - thanks for weighing in! I was teh one who chose the slate samples to show him in the first place, so I was definitely drawn to it, but the glass keeps pulling me back!

lady_iles - Thank you for the compliment on our counters. They are Wilsonart HD Laminate and the color is Raven Gemstone.

Thanks stretchad!

I will be picking up a sample of the stacked tile tomorrow to try that.

• scoutfinch72
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These pics aren't the greatest. The lighting in my kitchen is skewed so warm that it's hard to get accurate pics, but here are some samples I picked up today:

The grey stacked glass:

Earth Slate stackstone:

Rustic Gold stackstone:

Glass and Rustic Gold side by side:

I actually really like the glass a lot, but I like both of the stackstones as well. So, the plot thickens!

• plllog
    14 years ago

That stone is really gorgeous but I still think it's too much. The glass balances your countertop really well. The shapes of both are great. I think that's good look for your kitchen, though the bricks were really nice too.

• straycat2010
    14 years ago

I like the look of the subway tiles in all three colors. I also like some of the more earthy types you posted. Backsplash, like everything else in the kitchen, is a hard decision! :-)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

OH... hands down the glass one for me. It adds a brightness factor, blends and compliments your stone, love the shape and tones, and has some WOW. IMHO... there would be no contest.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!