Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmhmmgood_gw

KIA - wanna peek in my drawers while I cook dinner?

mmhmmgood
11 years ago

I posted my finished kitchen after the stars aligned such that my house was clean while the tinies were napping so I could finally take a few photos. Then I realized that I didn't get to show you all some of my favourite things, many of which are GW inspired! I showed you my GW inspired spice drawer, but not my GW inspired tapmaster-instahot-child-safety or my GW inspired charging station. So I took a few photos while making dinner and you can all have a peek at where I keep my ...

There's a tonne of photos in the photobucket account if you want to see where I hide other stuff or if you want to see more of house/reno project.

So, here's some of my favourite hiding spaces while I make hamburger soup, my all-in-one-day version of mtnrdredux's power bread and chocolate zucchini muffins. Even my bread is GW inspired!

frying up the beef

pot drawer

spices, cooking utensils and oils all handy to cooktop

chopping up the veg

under the stages

other great island storage stuff:

garbage and compost

hidden back of island storage

vac-pan

mixing the power bread

tapmaster child proofing for my instahot:

cutlery and plates all just across from the DW make unloading a breeze

recycling in the laundry, just off the kitchen

muffins in progress:

{{!gwi}}

where I store my muffin tins:

And now we're done like dinner!

Hamburger soup

Power bread

chocolate zucchini muffins

Comments (26)

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Thanks for showing all the nifty things in your kitchen.. It is quite the "pimp my ride" version of kitchen.. Really cool.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Really cool.
    I just love your red!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Thanks for all those pictures!

Question about the tapmaster...do you have pex tubing? It looks like you do. My dh wasn't sure we could use a tapmaster because of that. I think he is just trying to avoid me...

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Great kitchen.

Love the red!

• springroz
    11 years ago

At least you have (on) drawers......

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

That was really fun to look at!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Wowza!!! Great storage!!! That is some AWESOME KIA!
    We have our dw right across from dish drawer too. Love how easy that is! And that was kind of an accident...Looks identical to yours:
    {{!gwi}}

Those of you still in planning stages, if you can incorporate this in your design...DO IT! You won't regret it.

• mmhmmgood
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Strange. just perused my post and found a duplicate photo and one missing. I was careful before I posted to be sure everything was there ... here's my chocolate zucchini muffins since they seem to be missing. Anyone else having issues posting photos from photobucket?

Bee: yep, PEX tubing, it's working like a charm with my tapmaster. Is DH the DIYer to add it for you? Maybe a peek in your drawers would be just the encouragement he needs? Sorry, couldn't help it!

Spring: I'm too much of a hazard in the kitchen for it to be safe to cook without my drawers (on) lol ;)

annsch: also better luck than good judgement for me, a happy accident and not so much planning put my DW across from the dishes. Looks like we might even own the same dishes!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Those muffins look great!! I keep forgetting to get the camera before serving, so I don't get any photos of KIA!!

I am making granola right now, but it probably won't make a pretty picture!

Nancy

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Cool! Love my drawers too- they are so easy to use!
    Can I get that Hamburger Soup recipe, please? That looks soooo goood!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I want the hamburger recipe too, please...

• mmhmmgood
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have an exact recipe, I'm sure you can find one if you prefer. Some of the one's I've seen online have tomato in them, but I can't get my family to eat it when I add the tomato. Toddlers and their weirdness. But I like it better without the tomato too so here's about how mine goes, depending on my mood and quantity of ingredients I have on hand:

Hamburger soup:
    1 lb ground beef/bison (when using extra lean or bison I add a Tbsp or so of oil for frying)
    1 large onion, diced
    1-2 cups chopped celery
    1-2 cups chopped carrots
    2-3 cups beef stock, +/- water depending how hearty you like it.
    1-2 cups barley
    1-2 tsp thyme
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    salt to taste, depends a bit on how salty the stock is/extra water added

Fry onion and ground beef until brown, drop the temp a bit and add the carrots and celery, toss them about a bit and let them sweat. Then add the stock, barley, thyme, and pepper, simmer at least until the barley is cooked and then as long as you like after that. Adjust salt to taste before serving.

It goes AWESOME with mtnrdredux's power bread. A match made in heaven if you ask me. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: power bread

• kellysar
    11 years ago

Food looks great! I really like your cabinet pulls - would you have the name of them?

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

LOVE the back of your storage island

• library_girl
    11 years ago

What a fun tour. Thanks for sharing!!

• mmhmmgood
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kellysar - the pulls are Amerock Blackrock. I'll put the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: finished kitchen photos

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Food looks tasty! Love the red! Your fridge looks so shiny and print free!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recipe!!!

• mmhmmgood
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks kaijutokusatsu! Just FYI, it only looks shiny and print free in this photo. Some magic of the camera I suppose. In reality despite being only 6 months old it has several dents (DH has owned up to those!) and between my messy cooking and our two toddlers it is chronically plastered with fingerprints.

anytime annsch! Hope it turns out for you!

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

Your kitchen looks awesome and so functional. I love the red - so cheery!

Mmhmmgood and annsch - how wide is your aisle between your dish drawer and your dishwasher?

I have the same set up (being built, appliances not installed) and as I was standing in the space recently I was a little worried that they were too close. I have a 47.5" aisle (44.5" counter-to-counter).

And where can I read about childproofing/instanthot/tapmaster??

• kellysar
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the link to your beautiful kitchen. I plan to order samples of Blackrock this weekend - I think my search for pulls may be over!

• mmhmmgood
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cottonpenny - I have cab-cab 45", counter-counter is just under 43.5". It's JUST enough that I can have my lower drawer opened all the way (full extension) and my DW opened at the same time. Though when they are both opened I can't close the DW because of the drawer hardware. It's not inconvenient at all. I don't generally need to use my lower drawer at the limit of it's extension while the DW is open anyway.

Here's my link to the successful installation of the tapmaster as childproofing, and that link contains the link to the original post. It works AWESOME and when the kids are a bit bigger I can use the tapmaster on my sink instead! One of my favourite things. It may be overkill but I'd never forgive myself if one of my kids scalded themselves with water from the instahot!

Kellysar: I love the look of the blackrock pulls too, but even better they are really comfy in the hand! Not always the case with pulls as I found. For some reason all the pulls I was drawn to were always uncomfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: tapmaster as childproofing for instahot

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

What a fun post - now you are going to have to post the muffin and power bread recipes also!
    I would post our power pie recipe, but it comes from Achaatz pies (we served it one night before a ski race and our friend had a great race and referred to the power pie that fueled him along)
    I do make some awesome muffins and cookies!!

• Tamko3
    11 years ago

Everything looks great -- both kitchen and food! Just wondering if you could give me detailed info regarding your pulls. Thanks! Tami

• mmhmmgood
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2g: under the soup recipe I linked the post from mntrdredux where powerbread was discussed, but here's the direct link to the recipe I used. Usually I take the time to make it over 3 days, it has much more depth that way. But it's good to know that in a pinch you can just throw it all together all at once and still have a decent and tasty loaf of bread:
    power bread
    The muffins are nothing special, but they are quite yummy and it gets my no-I-don't-eat-vegetables toddler to get a bit of zucchini past his lips. Here's my mom's recipe for chocolate zucchini cake, I just put it into muffin tins and baked them 'til they seemed done (15-20 mins?). I omit the orange rind and do a mix of whole wheat and white flour.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup cocoa
    2 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 cup oil
    2 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp orange rind
    2 cups grated zucchini
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup walnuts/raisins (optional)
    Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside. Mix oil and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time. With a spoon stir in vanilla, orange rind and zucchini. Alternately add dry ingredients with wet to creamed mixture. Add nuts, pour into 10" bundt pan. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour

Tami-the pulls are Amerock Blackrock, details of my kitchen can be found here

• Tamko3
    11 years ago

Thanks about the pull info. I posted much earlier on before Kelly but I guess it didn't appear until much later! Tami

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations