Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crnaskater

window over sink decision

crnaskater
15 years ago

I currently have a 47" box window over my kitchen sink (came with the house) and have hated it since day one (16 yrs. ago :) ..... it is not centered and has casement windows (Anderson) where the cranks require getting on a step stool, besides which that window (south) doesn't create a cross breeze anyway. But it does have a good view of my deep yard and is the only window in the kitchen. So window is definitely going!

I have a 2 story 1952 basic sort of colonial (front door is not centered.) I think I should stay with the divided light double hung style and bring the new cabinets inward to frame the window. But can't decide about having one window or two smaller ones. GC mentioned casement but that would mean having screens on the inside - don't want that. Also my ceilings are only 7-1/2 ft. Room is 12 x 14 and very cut up with doorways. This sink wall is the only long strech.

I also thought of a solid window pane for 2/3 up and then a transom thing I could open at the top. Cleaning is one of my concerns as I 'mature.' At least now there is a deck on the outside so I only need a step ladder.

Any thoughts? Any one go through a similiar design decision?

Comments (7)

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

The single fixed pane and opening transom is an excellent idea. With a relatively small room and low ceilings, anything you can do to reduce visual "clutter" is a bonus, and leaving out the divided lights would do that. Plus it will be a breeze to clean.

• fisheggs
    15 years ago

If you really think you won't open the window because of the lack of cross breeze, you could have them as casements but store the screens in the basement or garage. That way you'd have the unimpeded view.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

More things to consider (we just replaced some old windows w/ new casements):

Not only can you remove the screens & store them, but casement windows are available with retractable screens and material like Pella's 'VividView' screening. Plus, you can stack a transom window over a casement (unless there are structural reasons that limit your opening.) It's a really cool look.

Also, with a two story house, an open windows on the first floor helps create a draft to exhaust hot air out open windows on the second floor. So, even if a window doesn't seem to catch a breeze, it can still be very useful for ventilating a house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pella Rolscreen/ VividView Screen

• crnaskater
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all....I'll run these thoughts by my GC.

Do you think reducing to one large window and bringing upper cabinets in closer is a good idea?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Do you have any pictures to post?

Is a "box window" a window that "sticks out" from the main wall of the house?

If so, have you thought of replacing it with a window that's at counter level and then running your countertop into the window well? You say your window does have a great view of your yard...if your sink is in front of the window it not only increases the view (and possible air flow), but it also gives you extra room for the faucet and sink area w/o having to bump out the sink.

Here's a picture of my bay window that we did just that with and, linked below, Fothia's sink...my inspiration!

BTW...an inside screen doesn't seem to get as grungy as one on the outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fothia's Kitchen

• alice462
    15 years ago

We have just been going through a similar decision making process and I will offer a couple of thoughts -

I did not choose the two smaller window route b/c I did not want the center of my sink and my main view to be blocked by the wider casings where the two windows would meet in the middle.

Other choices - one large clear fixed in the center flanked by two narrow casement w/divided light. Our home also has all double hung divided light so trying to stay with that theme. I like the idea of a clear view, but not that the window directly over the sink does not open.

Triple double hung divided light. This option lets center of sink be under center of middle window. I love opening my window over the sink and do so as almost a reflex every morning so this option will probably be the one we go with.

jaedwards recently posted some kitchen pics that showed a divided light window over her sink that slid open and closed -- it was great looking.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0717041226902.html?27

Good luck!

• crnaskater
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buehl - thanks for your imput and the pic of Fothia's kitchen. The current box window is off center and was never properly insulated or properly wired for the flood light in its ceiling. I ended up getting a custom plexiglass window set in a support tract to help keep out the winter cold and the summer heat. There is an attached porch off the dining room that blocks any airflow through the windows, collects leaves and mold in the 'seasons.'

Since my kitchen is small as it is, I think I would rather have more cabinet space that a huge window....the current cab over the stove ends 15 1/2" from the window and the other side the cab ends just 6 1/2" from the window, with the sink more on the short side. I am sooo looking forward to new and better cabinets! Sigh.

I'm one of the people who likes tunnel views....when I sit at my kitchen table I can look up the hallway to my half glass front door (north), or look through my dining room to the 2 side by side windows (West side.) To get a breeze, I need to open the little window (East)in the half bath off the tiny back hallway and the dining room windows.

There is a part of me that would like the ability to open a window over my sink. Ideally, I would like the window ledge to be raised up to 12" above the counter (is at 8" now.)

Alice462 - thanks for reminding me of the joy of opening a window over the sink!