Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean_popowitz

80% complete!

Jean Popowitz
15 years ago

Lots of details to finish but, as of this week, it's a functioning kitchen! Just realized I should have taken down the clothesline outdoors!

Here is a link that might be useful: my album

Comments (28)

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

WOW! Looks great. Love that blue range. Are you sure you're not bluekitchenobssessed too? :-)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I'm so excited for you! I don't know if you've seen my kitchen, but in a way, yours reminds me of ours ... and that's a compliment (because I love ours).

Congratulations!

• Jean Popowitz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've had my navy blue kitchenaid mixer for nearly 20 years and that toaster for 10. My family laughed at me as I debated over the gorgeous Lacanche colors--they all knew I'd choose the French blue in the end!

• neesie
    15 years ago

What gorgeous windows, and how nice that it's the view from your island seating! I also like the shelves in the end of your island. That stove and backsplash is over the top! You must be so happy with the results. Keep posting!

• mmme
    15 years ago

Your cabinets fit the trim style of your house so well. Looks terrific!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Can we have cab and stone details please?! Just beautiful!!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

What a calming room -- so beautiful! It almost feels like you're outside with those peaceful blue walls, and the wood and stone and lush greenery out the window. I love that combination...that could lure me away from a white kitchen for sure. Great job -- can't wait to see the last 20%!

What is that paint color, please? You don't see a lot of blue walls in kitchens, but that is gorgeous, and just right w/ all your other choices!

Chris

• sunnyd_2008
    15 years ago

Looks great!
    Very well put together
    love the sink and countertops (it is carrara?)with your cabinets.
    Just curious: how are the tops holding up?
    We installed a honed carrara in our showroom which looks good, most clients want the polished, and you have to warn them about etching.
    I've installed misty carrara by caesarstone but it's not exactly the same shading.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen. I especially like your pendants. What kind are they? Details, details!

Barb

• janefan
    15 years ago

I've been waiting for these pictures! I asked about doing a marble slab backsplash a few weeks ago, so I've been checking regularly for more of your pictures. Your kitchen looks great--so warm and beautiful.

Now just a couple of questions: How long is your island? What's the name of your marble?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

What a wonderful home for that beautiful lacanche :) (Cluny?) Even with the cloths line LOL

I love the choices you've made with cabinets and the counters, and the flow is perfect. How fun to see it almost done :o)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Very, very pretty. Love the cut out for the water bowl for the pets. I wish I had enough room to do something like that.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

So MANY details I love, I don't know if I'll get them all...the counters, the windows, the taller cabinet with window over it, the SS apron front sink, the useful little sink with the cool wall faucet, the bookshelf and big, clear island, and, of course, the great range. Congratulations!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Looks great! I especially love the counter tops and the flooring : )

• Jean Popowitz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their kind words!

RMKitchen--Of course I know your kitchen! I've been pretty sure I was going with the marble for years, but I completely fell in love with your full backsplash, showed DH your pics & he was sold too..... so...THANKS!

mmme--All our window & door trim is new--custom made by the contractor and then I sanded and stained it all. I still have the LR & DR to finish. I had to order stain from the cabinet folks to get the trim to match.

remodelfla--All marble is honed carrara. In my effort to be somewhat eco-friendly, I chose a local custom cabinet company. They are from Elm Manufacturing, made from cherry with a nutmeg stain with inset doors & self-closing drawers. They match the spots on one of our dogs!

scootermom--the paint is Benjamin Moore Steel Blue #823 but in the Aura low-VOC blend. I had a blue kitchen two houses ago and we knew we wanted it again.

sunnyd--the counters are only a week old so they are holding up just fine!!

Barb--The pendants are ELK Lighting Verona with Mountain glass. They were extremely affordable online.

janefan--my island is 8' long but the two end cabinets are 15" so that only leaves seating for 3. We use our dining room regularly so that's not a problem for us and it's such a treat to have my cookbooks actually IN the kitchen! Here's a closeup of the backsplash.

Dawn--can't wait to see your Lacanche unveiled!

brutuses--the kitty has taken to sleeping under the stool that the water bowl sits on. I'm hoping to find something prettier than that white plastic step. That space is 30" wide. If I ever decide I need another oven, I guess it would go there.

rhome--that taller cabinet is my pantry. It's 14" deep. Shallow enough to not lose things in the back. I gave up a broom closet and linen closet over by the hutch (if you looked at the album).

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

OMG! I'm in love!!! don't tell my Thermador, now he'll be embarrassed about only having blue knobs :) The blue paint is exactly the right color to show off the warm tone of your beautiful cabs. (Now imagine the same kitchen with some tasteful, subdued, boring blah beige taupe. Yuck! But with the blue, the cab color pops! Further proof, in case you needed it, that blue is always better than not-blue!) I like the faucet -- a modern spin on a bridge faucet that goes well in your kitchen. And I love your view, and the way that you don't have too much on that wall so as not to distract from the windows. But most of all I adore that range...now I better start playing the lottery.... shh, Thermador, you're not gonna get dumped by some hot French piece all decked out in blue....

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Very nice. Love the blue range, and really like those stools.

• Jean Popowitz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bluekitchenobsessed! You are just too funny! Now I can't wait to see your blue kitchen! BTW--I considered getting the Thermador for it's blue knobs until I set my sights on the Lacanche. Thanks for all your kind comments!

jeannie kitchen--those stools are from Crate and Barrel. They are not quite the right shade of grey...a touch too taupe. My dream is to have them dyed navy to match the stove!

• danpezz
    15 years ago

Just beautiful! Wow, everything just comes together beautifully. What is your flooring? I like the look possibly for my bath...

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Very soothing and very pretty! Love that pendant light!

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! You are an inspiration. I love blue but I think we are going to deviate from our blue and gray that we have now...hope we are happy. Love the view out your window, too! Congratulations on a dream kitchen.

• mxgmom3
    15 years ago

Is that Elm in Denville, NJ? Are you happy with the quality / options?

• Jean Popowitz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the kind comments!

danpezz--we have rectified porcelain tile by Diago Ceramicas, style Taos Gris. The grout is light pewter.

mxgmom3--yes, cabinets are from Elm Manufacturing in Denville, NJ. We live the next town over in Mountain Lakes. We are extremely pleased with the price and quality of these cabinets. I love the blumotion drawers! Our only problem is that the trash pullout "guts" seem to be on backorder. They use rev-a-shelf for that. Are you nearby?

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

What is the faucet? Love it, love everything!

Anita

• alice462
    15 years ago

jaedwards - WOW! Your kitchen is fantastic, I echo what others have said - so many great details and so well pulled together. I hope ours turns out as well, the demo begins on Wed.!

Window question -- can you tell me about your window over the sink? How large is it? What brand? The windows look like they slide? I have thought about a window like this for ours, but yours is the first that I have seen in a photo -- would love to know more!

• mxgmom3
    15 years ago

Good to hear you are happy with them. I live in nyc, but they were recommended to us by the architect we are working with on our renovation - also by the kitchen cab dealer they work with. We saw them in the showroom but had no more information. We will be going for the white painted kitchen look because we live in a pre-war apartment. I have spent time near your town as my parents had lived in Rockaway for a number of years.

Your kitchen certainly looks wonderful. Glad to hear you are happy with the cabinets.
    Enjoy!

• Jean Popowitz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alice--the window over the sink is actually two 48" Andersen sliding windows put together. The screens can be removed fairly easily so when we entertain, food and dishes can be passed through from the patio. Also the contractor (whose idea it was) thought that folks could walk into casements and that double-hungs would be hard to lift over the sink. These are very easy to open and close, not that we want to with this heat wave!

Anita--the faucets are Torq by Kohler. I like the bar version but the main sink faucet seems as though it should extend farther into the sink as it splashes a lot. I have to play with the thingamabob inside to see if I can get the stream to adjust a bit. The side spray is wonderful though; the best I've ever used.

Judy

• Jean Popowitz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to update about my faucet. There was some junk behind the flow restrictor. Once I cleaned it out, it worked just fine and I'm very happy with it now.

Pullouts for trash can, recycling can, and dog food cans were installed today. No more gaping holes in the lower run of cabinets :-) Just about everything is loaded in and I have empty drawers!!! I am so pleased with the way the kitchen functions. Life is good.