Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures of Dutchwood inset kitchens anyone??

Posted by p.ball2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 14:41

This is my first time posting but I have been a frequent lurker for the past three months. I finally was inspired to pick up the phone and call Dutchwood for a quote after seeing Beekeeper's gorgeous kitchen the other day. I received a quote four days later and am thrilled with the number! Next step is to go out there and see the facility and the cabinets in person. I am wondering if any who have gone with Dutchwood have had inset cabinets? The only pictures I have seen so far are for full overlay cabinets( and they are beautiful!) If you have inset would you be able to post pictures or at least comment on the quality? This forum has been a huge help to me as I wade into a kitchen redo for the first time. Thanks for all the wonderful information and beautiful posts! I hope to be a more frequent poster as the kitchen planning process gets underway! Thanks for any input ahead of time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures of Dutchwood inset kitchens anyone??

Hi p.ball2, they do have samples in the showroom.

If you want some really great ideas for what to put behind the beautiful cabinet fronts, I'd suggest you look at beagles link on Houzz. She has all of her cool things posted. She really has a tricked out kitchen!!! I went to visit her and the kitchen on Saturday and was not disappointed! It's a good thing I did not go before the cabinets were made, or I would have blown the budget on all the cool things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz Link to Beagles kitchen

o

Yes, I have seen her kitchen as well and it is gorgeous. Thanks for the link though! She went "all the way" with extras. Let's just say I can't go down that road even though I might like to :) When did you go to visit Dutch Wood, before you "signed them on" or after? I live only about 1hr. 15min away so it is not a big trip for me.

Did they come out to your house and do measurements? I worry because we have an old (122years) house with some funny angles and interesting ceiling lines that would have to be measured to insure that the cabinets were made correctly to fit.

o

"Dad" comes out to measure when it's time. I did go visit them first to get a price. I was dealing with another kitchen place and was really butting heads with that man. His prices were too high and every thing I asked him about, usually his answer involved the words "cha-ching". I became very disgusted and the final nail in his coffin was when he told me that they don't do frameless cabinets because "they fall apart". At least DW told me they don't do them because they would need another piece of equipment. But the other day, we were talking about it again, and one of the brothers said it might be time to think about it since they are getting more requests for it.

Where do you live? I'm outside Harrisburg, so that's about the same distance for me.

o

I am in Wayne, PA which is about 30 minutes outside of Phila. My husband just called me and said "Is that quote for real?". I told him all my web surfing and reading kitchen forum may have paid off because most people were saying that our small kitchen was going to cost us $30-$40,000 for inset cabinets.

I am sure that this quote is very basic since we will have to add things like the glass front cabinets with mullions, and the wood hood over the range but it still came in below out target budget so that leaves us room to wiggle :)

I have gone to one kitchen designer and he has yet to get back to me but I was not impressed since I felt I knew more about the cabinets I was interested in than he did. The second designer I meet with tomorrow morning. They have done some very nice kitchens in our area but they are known to be pricey and they only rep two brands ( Woodmode and Plato). I expect that their price will not be able to beat dutchwood.

Is this your first kitchen with Dutchwood? Besides Beagles is there any other forum member you can remember who has a Dutch Wood kitchen? Sorry for all the questions. I am just so excited about the quote I received today!

o

Tom in Nj has one. Finestra. Michelle16, but hers is just getting underway. I think she is doing inset, come to think of it.

I used to live outside of Philly before moving here.

Yep, first DW kitchen.

And just so you know, there is no upcharge for glass fronts. If you do plain glass. I did plain glass w/o mullions and they were the same as wood. Mullions will add some $ to price. But not much. Once he realized I wanted plain old glass for the kitchen, I knocked off a lot of money. I still used that antique German glass for the butler's pantry. Make sure you specify the type of glass.

And as far as hardware, they use Amerock as well as other companies. IF you want something from Amerock you don't see, just ask. My Highland Ridge Polished NIckel ended up being the same price as anything else. OR you can get credit and provide them yourself.

One other important tip I got from Beagles, don't send Jason links to ideas. Send him the picture as an attachment. He cannot open a lot of links due to a not so great internet connection. So, even things like specs for appliances, I would just save, and then attach. It worked much better.

o

Thank you, really great information! I was thinking of saving the wavy blown glass from some of the windows that we are replacing and trying to use for glass inserts. I am hoping that is possible but if not I would most likely go with plain. Great to know there is no upcharge.

Was a wood hood a huge expense?

I will try to find those two kitchens you mentioned.

I already read about the problem with opening links in some other thread so when I sent a picture of the door style I was interested in I attached the picture to my email. He did not say he could not open it so I am assuming he was able.

One last question for now. How much was the charge to use Jason for design? We do not have a specific design at this point. Just the general layout, appliance location and dimensions but we need to refine and get down to the nitty gritty. If we go with Dutchwood I will need design services.

Thanks so much again!!

o

If you go in with a plan, but tweak it with him, I don't think they charge you. I don't even know if they charge you if you just sit with him and come up with a plan. Really, you need to be the creative driving force and he can make your vision a reality.

There is a ckd that freelances for DW. (Lorna) Not sure if her vision qualifies as TKO though, so you might really be better off doing your layout here and getting the real experts in that field to come up with a plan that is functional. But as you get into the fine tuning, Jason is so easy to work with, usually his answer is "That shouldn't be a problem".

Just ask him about the design aspect and see what he says.

He might not tell you if he can't open a file. He goes to the library to use their computers. I find that level of dedication touching. I think photos are great and he can open those. It's just sending him links to a photo on the web, might cause a problem.

o

We are doing inset and overlay with DW. The overlay is on the island. My hood was over 60" long and was very reasonable. It came with the blowers and the lights. These are nice quality cabinets. Soft close doors and drawers.

I got leaded glass inserts with pewter caning that they ordered from another online retailer and inserted the glass before they came to install.

I basically knew what I wanted. I wasn't sure if they could do my hood style, so I brought lots of clippings/magazines of things I like.

Lorna was very helpful in pulling all of the bells and whistles together for me. (I have a frou frouy kitchen). They are coming tomorrow to finish (fingers crossed they can get it all done.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inset Dutchwood Cabinets w/leaded glass

o

Did you tell Jason you were from Gardenweb? Just curious.

They said that they got a request for a brochure from Nantucket. They also got a call about Pittsburgh too. (who was that?) I think their solution is a good one for the far places. They can build them, but not install them.

o

We are doing inset and overlay with DW. The overlay is on the island. My hood was over 60" long and was very reasonable. It came with the blowers and the lights. These are nice quality cabinets. Soft close doors and drawers.

I got leaded glass inserts with pewter caning that they ordered from another online retailer and inserted the glass before they came to install.

I basically knew what I wanted. I wasn't sure if they could do my hood style, so I brought lots of clippings/magazines of things I like.

Lorna was very helpful in pulling all of the bells and whistles together for me. (I have a frou frouy kitchen). They are coming tomorrow to finish (fingers crossed they can get it all done.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Inset Dutchwood Cabinets w/leaded glass

o

p.ball2 I've got some Dutch Wood inset, just not in our kitchen. They are beautiful, just like the rest of Dutch Wood's cabinets!
2012-02-20 16.03.39

2012-02-20 16.01.45

This was especially awesome because I have a drawer that is inset that he made look like two drawers! Magic!!!
2012-02-20 13.32.37

2012-02-20 13.32.15

The extra cool inserts and stuff did not add much cost to my kitchen, so it is worth asking. All of the cabinets w/ all of the inserts, and the fancy hood, etc. etc. for our kitchen were only $34,000 (and mine is a BIG kitchen). So, don't be afraid to ask :)

I did my designs w/ Jason and did not pay anything for design. We did the whole house w/ Dutch Wood (dog room, conservatory, great room, gathering room, 2 laundry rooms, 3 bathrooms + a mirror for the fourth, two closets, a pantry, and master bedroom in addition to the kitchen). I came up with the ideas but Jason refined them w/ me and did many, many, many, many, many CAD drawings. You'll usually have to sign that you're going to do the kitchen w/ them before they do the CAD drawings.

You will be happy w/ Dutch Wood. You will not beat their quality for their price, I don't think.

o

p.ball2 - Curious, what price did they give you? If you don't want to post it, you can email me on "My Page" on gardenweb.
Thanks

o

IF DW goes on GW, it seems silly to say how inexpensive they are : )
They will be raising their prices before you know it! lol

PS- beagles - surprised about 34,000 b/c my quote was only a little less without fancy hood and all those inserts.

o

OK, I jut went back to my quote to confirm and I was a little off. It was $35,598.50. We supplied our own insert for the hood (the blower part) which saved us like $1000 (I didn't need a fancy one). We also used a standard door style.
2LittleFishies we are closer than you to DW and we got the builder price, that would be my assumption of why yours wasn't a lot lower.... Or maybe it is because we did the entire house, every room. Or because they weren't as busy then... Lots of variables...

o

Yes, definitely, beagles : ) Meaning, I agree about variables, etc...

o

A little off topic, but I'm very excited to hear they are considering orders for farther places. I'm 5 hours away.

If anyone hears they have started doing frameless cabinets, please post! I'm probably about 11 months away from starting the kitchen, so I've got some time to wait :-). Almost ready to post a layout so I can gets sone more accurate quotes.

o

williamsem I know they'll do farther away ones, they just won't install them. Jason already said he'd make the cabinets for our FL house if we want him to, we just have to get them down there and install them ourselves.

o

Thanks, beaglesdoitbetter. If they start making frameless cabinets, I would absolutely consider a road trip to pick them up!

o

Wow, thanks again for all the input.

Beagles: $35,000 is an amazing price for all those cabinets! Maybe they have raised their prices since you did your kitchen or since they became famous on Garden web:) Thanks for the pictures of the inset cabinets in your baths. They look very nice. How long have you had them? Any problem with sticking or paint chips?

Aries61: their quote which INCLUDES INSTALLATION! was $18,000 and change. I am posting it because I have been hungry for pricing in my searches on the web so maybe this will help someone else who is beginning the process. Hopefully this will not result in Dutchwood raising their prices. Do you think they go on to Gardenweb? If they use the library to read and respond to emails I am guessing they do not surf the web too much but I could be wrong.

I am meeting with kitchen designer today but I don't think she will be able to compete. I will meet with her though because she may be able to give me some good ideas and I should get some other quotes just so that I can compare apples to apples.

I did not request Jason but I plan to the next time when I call and make an appointment to go and visit. I spoke with James on the phone when I first called to ask what information I should send and where I should send it for a quote. The quote came from James as well. I hope that will not be a problem that I did not ask for Jason from the start?
Are these people Amish or Mennonite? I am guessing since they are answering the phone they are not Amish??

Thanks for all the input and great pictures this is very helpful and EXCITING!

o

Finestra: I was looking for your kitchen on gardenweb last night but could not find it. Thanks for the picture! I love the leaded glass. Any other pictures or a link you want to share to the rest of your kitchen? I see a trend here with blue cabinets:) They are beautiful but I am going with all white since the kitchen is smaller also my husband wanted cherry stained cabinets but agreed on white as long as we could have dark counters.

o

p.ball2--I am not even sure if James does the design work. He is not one of the brothers. Unless of course, his role is changing. In the business. Not the family.

Not that it matters, but the family is Mennonite. They do drive. ( And what a lot of people don't realize is that Amish can use a phone as long as it isn't in the house. I found it very funny that the Amish roofer I was dealing with in my last house was complaining about his cell phone service because the tower near his house was hit by lightning. ) I know they have Amish men working for them.

Enjoy your visit.

o

Yes, you are correct, I had heard that tidbit and it does not matter if they are Amish or Mennonite. It just let's me know what limitations they may have as far as communication, electricity etc... although that seems to be changing a lot for the Amish.
Just general curiosity I guess.

I will ask for Jason and hopefully between my vision which is fairly good for the kitchen and his experience we will come up with a great looking kitchen ( at least in my opinion).

Maybe James just does some of the initial communication?? You would know better than I.

That is funny. Another shop I was considering in Oxford - the man only answered the phone three days a week from 8-8:30am. I believe that it was in a shed separate from the house.

o

Oxford Cabinets? They have a lot of fans on here too. Actually they were located about 5 minutes from my old house. Did a lot of kitchens in my neighborhood.

o

Yes! My brother lives in Lincoln University. I decided on Dutchwood for my first call to a custom place since I could not find pictures of any Oxford cabinet on GW.

Got to get the kids off to school, take dog to the vet and then to my meeting with kitchen designer....

o

Hi everyone, I am using dutchwood thanks to all beagles and bee's help-basically i came up with a plan, and they emailed me back and forth to help me.I am doing all inset, my price was great, but expect to pay higher if you are not going through a builder, I believe I am paying alittle over 2,000 because I did not go through one of their bulders. but in my opinion it was still worth it, based on the quality, their attention to detail, and not having to worry that they won't do the right things, because you have people like beagles and bee talking about their great experience.A fancy wood hood is only around 2,500 without the insert.They are installing mine possibly middle of July, or I might push it off till midlle of Aug, I will post pixs if I can! Michelle

o

p.ball2--probably was my neighbor.

o

Bee- Lol, might be but there is so much new development out there and a lot of turnover as well:)

Michelle16- I am not referred by a builder. We still have yet to formally hire a contractor. We are currently awaiting bids from three contractors but I asked all three and none had heard of Dutchwood. Bummer that I will pay more but I still think that I will come out ahead or should I say lower as compared to the places they have mentioned sending me.
What size is your hood? I am thinking of a fairly simple wood hood for over a 36" commercial range.

o

pball, Thank you for posting your estimate from DutchWood. I am doing a possible renovation and would love to get an estimate from them. I was so curious what their price range was. What is the size of your kitchen? What did you provide to them in order to get an estimate, you don't have your layout done right?

Thanks!

o

p.ball--even if your contractor never heard of them, it's ok. Get your contractor to contact them or vice versa. Tell your contractor this is who you want to use. They will probably want the insurance info, etc. Then I'd be hopeful you'd get the "builder" price. Unless the builder price is for new construction only. But I think the logic behind the price difference is, if a GC or Builder adds them to their stable of vendors, there will be more jobs in the future.

o

They are in my kitchen right now.

P.Ball2 - I will try to post pictures when they finish. I am still awaiting a backsplash.

Dutchwood isn't cheap, but it is very good quality at a fair price. They are easy to work with and are very skilled. We haven't had one problem with them.

o

tell them I said hi.

o

Normally, I wouldn't comment but I've been encouraged by a fellow GW to indeed do so when I mentioned that I was given a quote for 16 linear feet of pretty basic, but painted DW cabinetry that was $13K uninstalled. This was $3.5K higher than KM on sale early in 2012 with all the bells and whistles plus a lot of glass-ready cabinets with mullions and painted. I do understand there may be quality differences in many GW eyes. Perhaps prices are rising or different people are doing quotes now? Still, lovely cabinets by DW.

o

snbtwins:My kitchen is 18 x 24 which sounds large but that includes a long sliver that is also our eating area with a table and chairs. The actual kitchen is probably 18 x 12 if I had to guess. I attached my architects drawings of the space with dimension and a general layout ( l-shaped with island in the center). I specified and attached a picture of the door style I was interested in and then that I wanted cabinets to the ceiling, panelled dishwasher and refrig.

The quote was sent and it stated what was and was NOT included. Of course once we get down to the nitty- gritty this will change but it was a great way to see what ball park I was in and if I belonged in that ball park.

Bee: Thanks. I when I get to that point I will speak with our chosen contractor and see if we can get that builder discount. How much do you think it is?

I met with a kitchen designer this afternoon and she was really good. I am feeling guilty but told her I was entertaining other bids as well as hers. She really seemed to know where I was coming from. Plato cabinets are quite nice also but I get the feeling our bid will be quite high like about $30,000. We shall see. I am going to contact Dutchwood and set up a meeting now that I understand the quirks with our kitchen a bit better now.

Sparkling water: Maybe it depends on the type cabinet door you wanted? I am going for a plain inset shaker door without a bead. I looked at KM briefly but they are not known for good painted finishes from what I have read. I am also not sure if they do inset. The quote I received included all soft close drawers. We have not discussed all the other extras yet but from the upcharge I saw for inset I can't imagine it will be as high as some of the other manufacturers. For example- Plato upcharge is $150 or more per door for inset others are almost double. I think DW was about $17 per door.

I will keep you updated.

o

Thanks for posting that information SW. Not everybody will want to pay for custom cabinets. Period. Remember DW is totally custom, made to your exact specs. If you need a drawer made a little shorter so it can fit in under the shallow part of a sink, they will do it and not upcharge you. I had Kraftmaid in the last kitchen (all the dark cabinets). We did the highest quality that KM offered. I can tell you first hand, they are night and day. KM is perfectly fine and it fits with a lot of budgets. I paid a lot for 4 cabinets, and it didn't include any installation either.

DW's prices also include the crown moulding (I paid a lot extra for that with my KM cabinets. And since I was comparing them to another custom guy, his prices for the crown moulding varied depending on which one you picked, at DW, you could pick ANY of their choices, and there were plenty. Same went with the light rail (not included in base price, but all the same price vs the other guy who was killing us with his prices). The other guy had maybe 3 choices of whites I could pick or it would be more to do another color from the fan deck. DW had the same prices for any of the colors for paint in the fan deck or you could choose to have them stained--both options were the same cost. DW's drawers are all blumotion, standard.

Another thing people don't realize is that DW has 2 lines. They are usually quoting the higher cost for the kitchens. My closet is the other line. I don't see a difference at all. Same wood, same glides, I think it is in the finishing process, maybe not as many sandings between coats? But rest assured, it will look perfect or they will do it again.

Please don't think I'm being argumentative. I'm just saying what an excellent deal I feel I got. Had I gone with the builder's first guy, this kitchen would have been something like $50k. Mine was $30k. Let's just say, I could not afford that $50k, so my kitchen would have been without any glass, no drawers, not this style door, not to the ceiling either. It was disappointing for us to spend $30k and NOT get the things we really wanted. Not to mention the attention to detail DW gives, and the customer service. I have a neighbor whose kitchen was done by the other guy, she moved in last November--they are still trying to get the kitchen guy out to correct a mistake they made on her island's size.

I agree that people really need to check out all their options. But there have been so many people on GW who talk about visiting a local custom cabinet maker expecting to pay a lot more than what they can find at Lowe's or HD. And they always seem to be pleasantly surprised after they find a local cabinetmaker. I think this is the best part of GW. We learn so much from each other and sharing honest information about different things. I also commented the other day on the Appliance Forum that really without GW, we would have gone to one store, and bought whatever that store had. But thanks to GW, there is a lot of information available to sift through.

Bee

o

SparklingWater thanks for that info. Kraftmaid was not a consideration for us because we wanted custom cabinets. I also think there are some fairly significant differences between Kraftmaid and the cabinets you will get with Dutchwood.

For one thing, to do my kitchen w/ Kraftmaid I am sure would have cost a fortune because nothing in my kitchen is standard (as an example, I wanted to raise my island several inches to accomodate a utensil drawer above my fridge/freezer drawers. To do this in medallion cabinets was going to be something insane like $10,000 extra- to do it w/ Dutchwood it cost $0 extra).

The place where custom cabinets really shine is in your ability to do what YOU want to do in your kitchen. If you are getting basic boxes and drawers, then I have no doubt that a non-custom line is going to be around the same price or cheaper (although I would argue, likely not better). However, as soon as you start modifying anything beyond what the basic production line is set up for, you are charged through the nose because the non-custom companies simply aren't set up for it as part of their manufacturing process. With a place like Dutchwood, each cabinet is made individually, not on an assembly-line system, so there's no upcharge for the minor little modifications and tweaks that make your kitchen personal.

There is also something to be said for supporting local businesses. I always try to go local first, whether it is for grocery shopping or buying cabinets and I really dislike big box generic stores where you are just another nameless customer

Also, Bee, the difference between the econoline and the regular is that the econoline w/ DW is 1/2 inch plywood and the regular is 3/4 plywood. With many other companies (including Kraftmaid), 1/2 inch plywood is an upgrade and then 3/4 plywood is a further upgrade.

o

Beagles--No wonder why the cabinets fit in my closet! It's the extra 1/4" on all sides!!

lol

I forgot about that. But don't you agree that you can't really tell?

And who can forget my first cabinet guy who told me full overlay would cost the same as inset because they were set up to do the inset and they would have to charge me extra then for the full overlay because of the inconvenience of not doing inset. Some people. Insert the "Marcolo Stare" here.

o

I completely agree. You can't tell at all. Our closets are econoline and maybe our upstairs laundry (although I'm not even sure if that is). The finishes on the closet are just as nice as the one in the kitchen.

o

DW included mouldings in my bid and an allowance for cabinet hardware. Even if I change them I pretty much can guess that it will still come in cheaper than any of the big manufacturers. Their cabinets are very nice... The Woodmode I saw today was gorgeous, as was the Brookhaven and Plato- good solid build but the extras may be what tips the scales in the direction of a custom job with DW in my opinion.

Good to know about the 1/2" versus 3/4" line. I was quoted the 3/4" higher end version.

o

Hey What kind of plans/drawings does Dutch Wood do? Do they do computerized versions, hand drawn,??

o

CAD

o

I love this thread, I am just soaking in all the information being provided! Thanks to everyone who is contributing!

pball - 18x12 is a nice size! Do you have drawers included in your estimate? An island? Your estimate seems very reasonable! I am trying to keep my cabinet cost around $20,000 and I am thinking I may be able to do that with Dutch Wood now!

Thanks again.

o

snbtwins: We are trying to stay in the 20,000 range as well and to get an intial quote below that thrilled me. I expect we will add a few thousand once we get down to the nitty gritty.
I have an island that is 6' x 3'6" and we may enlarge it based upon an area of open space that exists on one side. I am hoping to post my layout once my husband comes home and helps me to wade through the instructions. It seems like a large kitchen but we have doors and stairs and windows that eat up some of the wall, cabinet space. You will uderstand once my layout gets posted.

I also think that the 1/2" versus 3/4" plywood option might work should the price escalate more than we hoped but I will wait before I go there. 1/2" all plywood is still a sturdy cabinet.

Where do you live?

o

pball - I live in NY. I talked to Jason a couple of months ago and he said they could deliver the cabinets but my contractor would have to install them. I am intrigued by the 1/2" plywood option also. How high are your ceilings? I really want stacked cabinets but it is looking likely that my ceiling will only be 8'.

o

my ceilings are 9'1" in the center and on one side of the kitchen but we have a shed roof on the back wall which slopes down to 8'.

o

So where is Dutchwood and how far is that from Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh is about 4-5 hours for me (DH's company headquarters is in Pittsburgh and he goes about 2x/year). Wish I knew about Dutchwood when we were doing our perimeter kitchen. Of course, I am thrilled with Pioneer for the island. But we have a master bath coming up in the distant future . . .

o

Dutchwood is in "Amish country" in PA. very near Lancaster and very far from Pittsburgh. I live about 13 miles west of Philadelphia and Dutchwood is about an hour drive maybe a bit more for me. It is located in Myerstown.

o

Thanks for the information about two lines of Dutch Wood cabinets. This information is very helpful. I do so love their quality and look, and while planning soft close drawers as well as drawer bottoms, garbage and spice, my plan is pretty basic. This may make it all the more feasible.

Good luck to everyone with their choices.

o

I have been lurking for a while but was inspired today to post. DH and I are looking at DW for our new kitchen - thanks to GW. We made our first visit today - ahhh what an experience to know that if I want base cabinets 35.75" high, a cubby 4.75" wide or tiny sliding doors to cover another cubby I can have it. They can also make 48" inch wall cabinets that look stacked (something else I learned about here). Yay! They do have inset cabinets with and without beads on display - they looked really nice - unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo until we were half way home. Sorry! It's ironic really since I was only looking at the inset cabinets.

Having read here about the Econoline, I specifically asked about it. Jason showed me an example he had on display. Yes the plywood is 1/2" rather than 3/4". Other differences include: unfinished plywood bottoms on the wall cabinets, less time spent perfecting the finish and details, a small lip where the interior of the cabinet meets the face frame, fewer bells and whistles available on the exterior (carving etc.), there is a visible seam on the end panel where the face frame meets the side (this is covered in the regular line). Still, the cabinets looked great - if I didn't have wall cabinets I'd consider the Econoline.

o

Oh, almost forgot. The drawer glides on the Econoline are also different. They are a different qulaity and are imported - not the American made Blum that you will find on the regular line.

o

kawcjp--I was there too today!! I had to drop off a drawer and a pullout that I didn't like the finish on inside. They would have come for them but I didn't want them to make a special trip to pick them up.

I was there around 8:45. Were you inside? I didn't even go in, dropped and ran.

Glad you had a nice visit.

Will they mix econoline on the bottom and regular for the walls?

o

I believe that they will not mix econoline and regular. I think I asked about that for my dog room and they said they couldn't do it.

kawcjp glad you had a good experience at DW! Did you tell them you were from Gardenweb?

o

beekeeperswife--We didn't get there until 1030 (we're a 2hr drive). I didn't ask about mixing the two lines...we have three exposed ends so I would want the wall and base ends to look the same. It's a great idea though! BTW, I love your kitchen and seeing the progress...I showed DH your photos (and Beagles') when I first told him about DW - they helped convince us to contact DW. My fingers are crossed for the vent hood install - I would be beside myself...

o

Beagles--Ha! Yes, I mentioned it to Lorna on the way out...she mentioned that other gardenwebers have also had very clear ideas of what they wanted too! I take it as a compliment. :) Poor thing had some very nice drawings but I insisted on working from the ones I originally sent(with her help we did tweak them a bit). Thanks for posting all of the inspirational photos. Your house is beautiful!

o

Thanks kawcjp. DW must be used to all the TKO people by now- Bee and I broke them in well I think :) I never met Lorna, I wonder if she was there when I was doing my kitchen and they just didn't want to subject her to me!

o

Thanks for the update and clarification on the econoline. I am excited to make my visit. Hopefully next week before the kiddies get out of school.

o

My dh used to say when Jason would go look for something and be gone for a few minutes that he was actually out back screaming out of frustration....I told him that and he just smiled and said "I see" and laughed.

Hopefully Beagles & I have broken him in for all of you.

I need to get him some of that white-out tape as a present. I think he used a lot on my order!

"no, wait. Let's do these handles." white tape "Well, maybe not, what about these?" white tape "hi jason, it's me, can we change the color choice for the closet?" more white tape.......

Yeah, better stop by Staples today.

o

Bee, I think I'm odoing a number on him as well! haha

o

FWIW, I got a quote from Dutchwood and Shiloh for painted inset and Shiloh was a little cheaper for the same thing. Dutchwood sounds great, and if I lived a little closer (2 hrs away) maybe I would have used them. But Im perfectly happy with my cabinets.
So for those of you that are reading this post and live too far from DW, you can still get reasonably priced painted inset.

o

designnov--oh, absolutely you are right. Like Beagles said though it's when you start customizing that you really see the difference in price. I personally don't know anything about Shiloh's quality (I'm sure if a GW member is picking it, it must be good!) , but I can attest that the quality from DW is excellent.

Glad you found Shiloh to work out for you.

o

You are right - we did not add decorative pieces other than moulding, so that may make the difference.
Reading this thread almost make me wish I had pursued them a little more, but Im happy with my cabs, and we stayed within our budget.

o

I tried to find a Shiloh dealer in our area but the closest was going to be over two hours away. I hear that they were recently having free upgrade to inset doors which would be a huge savings considering what the Brookhaven rep told me the upgrade to inset was going to cost per door.

o

Wow we really LOVE Dutch Wood.... lol

I will add to the list of another happy customer. We did the kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a laundry room. We used the 1/2" line for the laundry room and bathrooms and the 3/4" line for the kitchen. We NEVER heard NO from them. From design, to installation it was a great experience, we had ZERO problems.

I would do business with them again.

Tom

o

p.ball2...Inset is going to be all over the board price wise.

Even thou inset with Shiloh is free at this time, there regular price I don't think is that bad.Their regular price for flush inset is listed at $20 per door and $8 per drawer, while beaded inset is listed at $30 per door and $14 per drawer.In comparison to do full overlay is $26 per door and $12 per drawer with Shiloh.

When I priced out cabinets with Riegsecker, it was only $134 more then full overlay.

Did you check with Crystal cabinets? They're currently offering free inset with their cabinets. They have a semi-custom line call Keyline which I'm currently getting quoted on.

I was going to check with Dutchwood, but I'm in Chicago and think that I'm to far from them.

Good luck with you're kitchen. Hopefully, you won't take as long as me. I started looking back in January 2011 and still have not made a decision.

o

I just sent off my cabinets specs to DW for a quote after several frustrating weeks with the original custom shop my GC recommended. I really liked the quality of the first place, but he wants to communicate via my GC and it's dragging down the process. Does Jason have an email address? I couldn't find one online, sent it via fax. I am also going beaded inset, will update once I get price back.
Very timely thread for me, thanks for all the info everyone!

o

jason@dutchwood.net

(you should include "Gardenweb" in the subject line)

Although, after dealing with the masses of TKOers, he might not open it!!! lol

kidding. I think that he really appreciates knowing when a customer finds out about them on GW.

o

I'd have to imagine they are pleased with GW referrals. They must know by now it's a very, um, unique (demanding doesn't seem right, maybe very educated?) audience and it is all word of mouth referrals. If you're getting multiple referrals from here, you're doing it right!

Having a little difficulty finding frameless cabinets. I have one, maybe two (waiting to hear back) places I will get quotes from when i'm ready in a few weeks.

I'm crazy enough to drive the 5 hours to pick them up if the price is reasonable, next one to visit needs to plant that frameless bug in their ear again! Please!

o

I think they like doing the challenging stuff that GWers come up with. A lot of things in my house were things they had never done before (not that you could ever tell it was their first time, they look amazing!) and Jason seemed to indicate that it was fun to do the unique stuff.

I think we are going up there some time next week to drop off some fabric for our window seats and hope to see the bedroom cabinets they are making for us. Maybe I'll run into GWers there, LOL!

o

I think it's great they were willing to try new stuff. I hope they keep a list with some pics, those finishing touches are great little extras that set DW apart. You and Bee might need to be put on a retainer with all these ideas and referrals!

o

aries61: interesting that Crystal is offering free inset right now. A kitchen designer I went to, who reps Crystal but is phasing them out and now offering Omega, said that Crystal is sooo expensive that we are going to stop carrying them. Even when I said that I had seen their cabinets and liked them he did not seem to want to give me a quote or entertain my desire to explore using Crystal. I have to say this is a guy that I was not very impressed with but it goes to show that having some knowledge before you go to see a kitchen designer is quite helpful.

I saw his design proposal on Frida.... YAWN not very exciting. I don't have any training and I could see problems with his design. Safe to say I won't be using him even though the price he gave me for Omega dynasty shaker inset was lower than I had expected (but still higher than Dutchwood).

o

p.ball2...I'm suppose to be getting a quote from two different places hopefully this week on Crystal. When I get them, I'll post the prices and let you know.

Also, I was looking at some other quotes that I received from other places and they sent me some door pictures of something interesting. They had a mortise and tenon door with a bead near the edge of the door. I've only seen that on mitered doors before. I'll try to post pictures later tonight when I get back.

I'm attaching a link to a kitchen on here done with Crystal Keyline. According to the poster, she looked at 100% custom cabinets, Medallion Cabinets and Shiloh Cabinetry and said Crystal had the best price of all of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystal Keyline Inset

o

p.ball2... Here's the first picture. I'll post the other picture in another response.

o

p.ball2... Here's the second picture. The same door as a beaded inset in the door not the frame.

o

Aries: Thanks! I will be interested to know what your crystal keyline quote is. I think I may investigate getting a crystal quote from another place in the area who also carries crystal.
I think I have seen or heard of the door you posted. The bead is a detail on the door rather than on the door frame. It looks nice. Does that cost less to create or is it less likely to chip or dent if it is on the door? What is the difference between putting the bead on the door versus on the frame which is more traditional?

o

p.ball2..The first quote came in at $6710 compared to about $5500 for Shiloh. Not a large kitchen at all. The sink wall is 134" and the range wall is 136". It was based on a raised panel door with 5 piece drawer fronts either in maple or premium(clear)alder. Cherry was a 6% up charge. Currently Crystal is either offering free upgrade to cherry or free inset(both plain and beaded).

The only thing I can say is weigh all your options. You have to like what your getting. I've looked at many cabinet manufacturers and I found that I'm not impressed with a lot of the finishes or construction that I've seen.

Funny story that happened a few weeks ago. I walked into a kitchen design center and went over somethings with the designer. I had my current layout with changes that I wanted. We looked at several cabinet manufacturers and narrowed it down. She showed be what price categories the door styles were in the manufacturers book which had prices which weren't outrageous. Then she asked by budget which I told her was around $10,000 for cabinets only. She looked at me and said no no no, probably around $15,000. I thought to myself, for less then $15,000 I can get some really nice high end Amish cabinets which was a much better quality then what she showed me. I thanked her for her time and walked out. I refrained from telling her what I thought. I felt sorry for anyone who walked in and dealt with her.

o

Aries61: thanks for posting the quote. I agree with you about finishes completely! I am going with a white painted cabinet and some maufacturers finishes looks plasticky or too shiny.

I had read on GW that Shiloh has beautiful painted finishes but the closest dealer is hours away for me. I think if you go with Shiloh.

As for the Crystal cabs- I had also read and heard good things about Crystal. I am a bit disillusioned by the one kitchen designer who presented me with a preliminary but quite boring design and never even mentioned the free upgrade to inset when I questioned him about Crystal. I think since there is no benefit for him to sell the crystal viersus Omega he would rather push the Omega and forget telling me about the free upgrade.I have heard Omega cabs are nice - but they don't even have them on display in the showroom yet. I have made the decision not to go with him.

The second designer I met with seemed really great and she reps Plato and Woodmode/Brookhaven. I have a gut feeling though that the Plato price may come out too high for me and that Brookhaven may fall into the high end of our budget. We will see. I am excited to see what she comes up with as a preliminary design since she asked alot of great questions and seemed to "get" the look and function I was aiming for.

$15,000 for a kitchen the size you describe? You were right to walk out. What cabinet line was she rep for?

You do have to be a savvy shopper and realize that there are good, conscientious designers out there and some that are no so good. Best of luck with everything!

I will post updates when I get the pricing back on the Plato and Brookhaven.

o

p.ball2..The two lines that we looked at were Executive Cabinetry and Cabico Espresso. She had a bunch more then these, but she said that these were the two least expensive.

They also had Decora, which I received a quote a while ago for about $9,000 from another company.I've looked at a lot of cabinets and received many quotes. The quotes ranged between $5,000 to $15,000 with most of them under $10,000.

I've linked to one of my postings back from May which you can see the my kitchen layout with a bunch of different layouts. It's not a large kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my kitchen layout

o

Does DW have a website? I can't seem to find one.

o

gldngrl61 they do not. They have a brochure. http://web.me.com/illustra_graphics/Illustra_Graphics_%26_I._G._Publishers_Graphic_Design_And_Audiobook_Publisher/Brochure_Design_Page_Layout_files/Dutch Wood Brochure MedRes.pdf

Their contact info is:
1317 Hilltop Road
Myerstown, PA 17067-1760
Phone: 717-933-5133.
Fax: 717-933-1191

They also did all of the cabinets in my entire house, so if you haven't seen them, there are pics here (kitchen, all bathrooms, gathering room, great room, dog room, laundry rooms, conservatory, dining room, closets, pantry, bedroom fireplace). http://stonepondhouse.blogspot.com/

o

Dutchwood does have a website but it is really just their brochure online as beagles stated above.
If you google dutchwood LLC it should come up but if not try this website address: http://web.me.com/illustra_graphics/Illustra_Graphics_%26_I._G._Publishers_Graphic_Design_And_Audiobook_Publisher/Brochure_Design_Page_Layout_files/Dutch Wood Brochure MedRes.pdf

It is a crazy long one.

o

I got the quote back from Jason 2 days after submitting my plans...amazing! Also turned out $6k cheaper than the original custom shop we were working with.

I'm torn, because the original shop calls beaded inset their "bread and butter" and I really love the style I picked out with them. And we took an entire day to drive there and see their operation. But $6k delta! I am trying to bargain the original shop down, but suspect I will be another GWer who uses Dutch Wood.

For comparison's sake, the original shop (LancasterMaid) provided a quote of $29,653. Dutch Wood was $22,972.50 . Kitchen is 13' on sink run, 12' on range wall, 8.5' island. Deeper bases and uppers and taller island. While I've done minor tweaking, pretty close layout at the following link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for layout

o

Beaglesdoitbetter,

Where in FL is you vacation home, if you don't mind me asking? Are you serious about having DW build your FL cabs? I am in FL & have been drooling over your kitchen & Bee's. You are both my GW gurus (bowing down). Shiloh is an option where I live, too but my parents had an Amish kitchen in IL & the quality could not be beat. If you've broached the subject w/Jason re. the FL build & it was well recepted, do you think I should keep an open mind as this for an option? FWIW I would use them for a whole house (4.5 baths, kitchen, 2 laundry rooms). Would the price be worth the extra cost of freight? Then does the GC then install them? Or could I pay the extra to fly down DW to install? Do you see any issues with inset in FL w/the humidity & having the wood cured in PA vs. FL? Due to allergies, our home is almost always closed w/AC running, so I am thinking that wouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for any insight!

o

wishiwasinoz I haven't worked out logistics yet, but I think that is my plan and I told Jason I wanted him to do the FL cabinets and he said OK - but we aren't ready to actually do the FL kitchen yet so we haven't gotten too far into planning (we're replacing doors, windows, floors in the house first, removing popcorn, adding moldings and generally de-1970ing the house!)

Tentatively, I believe what we were going to do is fly someone from DW down to measure because our house is way-out-of-level (guess there were no tape measures in 1972) and then have them make the cabinets. We were thinking of renting a truck and driving them down ourselves although not 100 percent sure on that yet, and then I have a handyman down in FL who can install (I think it might be hard for DW to come down and install them b/c they won't have tools or anything, but again, not sure).

Our house is in Clearwater. B/c of the humidity, I would probably have MDF-centers w/ solid wood elsewhere on the cabs.

My handyman down in FL said he could make our cabinets from scratch though, so that is another possible option, although I suspect we'll end up w/ DW b/c I trust their quality and because I think it will be cheaper if we can find a way to get the cabinets down there in a cost-effective manner.

o

Beagles let's get on the same timeline! :-). FIL owns a moving co. so I will sweet talk him into moving the cabs at cost. Knowing DW might be an option is making things quite interesting! < happy dancing >

How would I plan this out for a new build? Are the builders ever slightly off in kitchen dimensions? That could totally screw up the custom cabinetry fitting into place.

o

wishiwasinoz, we were a new build too. We had the basic kitchen measurements and did drawings and quotes that way. Then, once the drywall was up, DW came to measure to get exact measurements down to the inch. You would need to do the same I think.

If we could coordinate a timeline, that would be awesome :) Are you near the Clearwater area?

o

I would love to be a fly on the wall when this discussion comes up at DW....

:)

o

beekeeperswife I think DW has been well-and-truly broken in by GW by now. I mentioned to Jason that he'd be doing my Florida house and he just nodded his had and said "OK."

They are coming over here on Thursday to install my study window seat and pantry cabinet! I can't wait. We did an all-glass to the floor cabinet in the pantry for dishes and it should be pretty neat looking I think.

o

thanks all for the info. i have just started looking at a kitchen re-do. i'm already stressing out after looking at appliance costs. i'm not too far away from dw, so i must go up there.

did you say they only do inset doors? i really wanted white inset cabs, but already changing my mind to settle for full overlay to save on some costs. what typically is the price difference between full overlap and inset with popular manufacturers? thanks

o

Dutchwood does inset and full overlay. They only do framed cabinetry at this point not frameless from the conversations I have read. I found the upcharge forinset with some of the big manufacturers to be all over the board. For some it is offered free as a promotion for others it can nearly double the price of the cabinet. I believe the upcharge at dutchwood was $17 per door. the big difference is that the little extras do not cost a fortune. I asked him to make a custom paper towel holder that was above the pull out trash below counter and the charge was $55. I think it was several hundred for the one manufacturer that I priced and the other did not do that at all.

o

mags, mine are full overlay "with very little faceframe showing"....that is the description in the quote.

The only thing I would have done differently was to have the end panels be recessed, or more built into the actual cabinet frame. Mine are door panels that are applied ON TOP of the frame. It is not a big deal, I think on the cabinets that are next to the hood though, it would have been a cleaner look to have done it the other way. If you look at the photo below, see the cabinet to the right of the hood? See that little vertical strip to the left of the left door? That is the side of the panel they attached to the end of the cabinet. The door comes to the end of the cabinet frame, and if the panel was recessed, you wouldn't see that vertical line.

DSC_0085

Not that big a deal, I'm nit picking, but I just didn't even think about that.

o

P.ball,
I'm revamping a 24" trash pull out.
I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate paper towels into something so I didn't have to have them on the counter or wall somewhere. Could you post some pics?

Thanks!
Christine

o

Omgoodness bee, that is the kitchen I want! So close to what I have envisioned...on a much smaller scale! Thank u for sharing and I must save a pic for kd. I love the way the cabs go up to ceiling. We definitely couldn't have as much glass since we're slobs. :-). Btw, for any glass inserts, u can go to a stained glass supplier that sells glass and get ur pick of any type of glass. Instead of paying upcharge on fancy glass inserts from dealer, after install I just took a door to glass shop and picked out a glass. They cut it to fit perfectly.

Does dw do appliance fronts/panels?

Bees ur kitchen is to die for. Did dw install?

o

When I see a kitchen like urs, it shows me that overlay fronts can work and look just as nice. I'm going for timeless look since I'm tackling the 'one and done' projects.

Oh my what decisions to make.

o

mags, yes dw does the install. They do the panels for appliances too. I have a "thing" about faux drawers and doors. Jason at DW totally understood my issue. If you look at the sets of drawers on each side of the sink by the window, you will see 3 drawer fronts on each side. The top two on each side are dish drawers, I wanted them to completely blend in with the other drawers and not look like one big drawer. Some integrated fronts are only one panel from some companies, but having them made custom you can ask them to do this.

Photobucket

DW's glass fronts are not upcharges. If you want anything but clear glass, ie Antique German, or wavy, etc., then yes, there is an upcharge. But mine cost the same as having wood fronts.

Thanks for the compliments. DW does have a ckd that is available to you.

bee

o

in process right now!

o

Mags438 we have a full overlay Dutchwood Kitchen too, not sure if you have seen mine, but just in case you have not, here it is (prior to move-in, there's stuff in the cabinets now!):

Elite_Custom kitchen_1-006

o

I do not have a picture of the paper towel holder worked into the trash pull out but Jason showed me a picture of a similar one that he did. I am still in the early stages of design with them. Presently waiting for his drawings. If you search for built in paper towel holder on the Kitchen forum you will get a few pictures.

o

I do not have a picture of the paper towel holder worked into the trash pull out but Jason showed me a picture of a similar one that he did. I am still in the early stages of design with them. Presently waiting for his drawings. If you search for built in paper towel holder on the Kitchen forum you will get a few pictures.

o

Wow, beagles, kitchen is gorgeous! And huge! I'm suffering from space/size envy.

o

Did Finestra ever post pictures of her finished kitchen? I can't seem to find pictures.

I would also love to see how michelle16's kitchen is turning out. Michelle, I know you are not posting on GW anymore. I wanted to send you an email but that option is not open on your page. If you read this post and are willing, please send me an email. Would love to see how your dutchwood kitchen is progressing!

o

Bee-
Those dishwashers are so cool! Can I ask where your trash is?
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here