Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianadarnell_gw

URGENT- Granite Ideas Needed

brianadarnell
12 years ago

Good morning,

If you read my post yesterday, you already know my slabs of granite were sold within the past 2 weeks. We are ready for install and have already been templated, but I want to make sure that in my quest to find replacement slabs I am not leaving out an options. I had originally planned on a really white version of GO, but now I can't find any replacements that are nearly as light.

Here is a pic of my cabinets installed. The house has an open floor plan so I want the granite to blend with the rest of the decor. Do any obvious granite choices come to mind? Thanks in advance!

Slightly cream cabinets on the perimeter and dark brown on the island...

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• willtv
    12 years ago

Since you were going with a "white" granite. You might want to lookk at white quartzite.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will, It wasn't white- It was Giallo Ornamental but it had a white background instead of the usual yellow. I'm thinking a delicatus might be a good swap...

See below.

• momqs
    12 years ago

Check out bellacucina's kitchen. You may get ideas.

Good luck.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Delicatus would be a good alternative. Check out if it's readily available and also be aware that you'll likely run into the same issues as you did with the GO as far as color is concerned. Certainly the grain pattern is very similar.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    12 years ago

I chose solarius but it's a very light one. Very little black with more cream, tan and rust shades. I think it would look great with your gorgeous cabs.

I am so sorry this happened to you! So wrong.

• sayde
    12 years ago

I know you've been looking at white, but I think Costa Esmeralda (grey-green) would lovely in your kitchen. In fact your kitchen reminded me of one that has Costa Esmeralda -- posted here several years ago -- look up "gglks" kitchen. Also white with a dark island.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Momqs- thanks for reminding me of bellacucina's kitchen. I loved it when I saw it revealed and then I forgot to bookmark it! I love that ice brown. Might work.

Will- thanks! I did some research and the offending stone yard claims to have delicatus. I don't know if its white or yellow variety, but the upgrade would clearly be on them so it may work if the color is right.

Srah- I look at the solarius. Does it go by other names? I haven't seen it.

Sayde- I checked out that kitchen. It is gorgeous! Do you think the green/gray would mess me up on the rest of my decor on the first floor? I'm completely open to ideas, but my open floor plan doesn't have a single wall.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Delicatus looks looks like a good alternative. You can also check out Kashmir White or Pearl White.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I agree with Sayde that CE might be just the stone.
    The slab you have above is also a green base to the tone
    just as a CE would be.
    If you are still pining for White-ish counters. I would
    visit all the slab yards around and search for the
    shades of white granite slabs you love. You will find one, it
    just takes a while.

Kashmir White

White River

Synthetic products below...

• senator13
    12 years ago

Here are a few you may like:
    White Spring
    Shiva Kashmir White
    White Kinawa
    White Forest

You can find pics of all on Marble.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite

• harrimann
    12 years ago

Do you like bianco antico?

• sparklekitty
    12 years ago

Bianco Romano is lovely as well and can be whiter or creamier depending on the slab, with gray. CE is stunning, both a "neutral" with the gray green color AND special/something different. Sorry you lost your original slabs, but it may be an opportunity to do something that you didn't expect and love. good luck

Check out the link below for a thread and photo of honed Bianco Romano

Here is a link that might be useful: Honed Bianco Romano

• cardamon
    12 years ago

Brianadarnell, I was going to suggest Bianco Antico, White Springs, Delicatus, like some of the above posters said. It would be similar in feeling to the giallo ornamental light like you had picked out. Your cabinets are really pretty. Hope you have luck finding something you love - again.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Bianco Antico!!! Your cabs screamed that at me! I heard it. ;)

• abbeys
    12 years ago

Good Morning,

I was sorry to hear about your lost slabs. (Makes me want to run down to my slabyard and put an GPS device on my reserved slabs.) We also have light granite selected - our's is called "cafe creme", but what I wanted to say is that there seems to be a lot of variation from one slab to the next. I saw a bundle of "Colanial Gold" that was so white - I thought it must be miss-marked, but it wasn't. I guess you'll just have to look at each one. I've seen some light Colonial Cream, as well as the White Springs, and Kashmir White. Some of the light granites tend to have a lot of grey - which may or may not be what you want. Good luck!

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys are seriously the best! I checked out nearly everything you pointed me to. Some slabs were easy to narrow down to and others were easy to cut out. But, all in all, I think I have made a decision...check out my other convo and let me know what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of {Potentially} New Slabs

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

If you've found your granite, that's wonderful!

If you're not sure, maybe look at the greens, again. Here's a picture from the June issue of BH&Gs Kitchen and Bath Ideas (starting on page 23) with a Sea Foam Green granite. My scanner does not do it justice...the paint color should be a soft gold color, not so orange.

As for working a color into your overall space, I've attached a link to the Home Decorating forum. They're discussing neutral vs. color and the impact of color and items in a room. It might be worth a look :)

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating forum

• slush1422
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest Bianco Antico as well. I came across some slabs that were "whiter" and less "cinnamon". White Springs would be another option. Delicatus White, a.k.a. Alaska are other beautiful slabs that have more white.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Yeah I like your new slabs. Love the chunkiness!

But that is such a lovely kitchen, you could put in cracked ice Formica and still be able to pull it off.

• marble_com
    12 years ago

I think White Spring could be a very appropriate choice, in addition to the Delicatus. White Spring looks like this:

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths