Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejbrymom

Anyone have 2 colored cabinets (upper different color from lower)

ejbrymom
13 years ago

I love this look. But wanted to know if others do it.....if so what made you pick two colors. Are you still in love with it?

Can you share pics?

Examples of:

Comments (24)

• frmrsdghtr
    13 years ago

I don't have it, but I did consider it for my current kitchen update. From all the pictures I found, usually the dark color was on the bottom (contrary to the picture you posted) and the walls were very light/neutral.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I do! I do! And I love it so much that I repeated it in this kitchen after doing it 8 years ago in my last house. In both cases, the uppers were stained wood, the bottoms painted green. But at the old house, the uppers were walnut and bottoms were BM Lafayette green, with Verde Maritaca granite counter (lots of green, brown and silver grey). In this case, the tops are quarter-sawn oak and the bottoms are BM Webster Green. Countertops are soapstone, backspash is yellow.

I love it for the sense it gives of having grown over time...as if the tops and bottoms were installed years apart. And for the sort of "unfitted" feel, it has. I picked the greens because they work so well with the wood tones and were a real color, without being overpowering. And I find green very easy to live with, it doesn't seem to wear out its welcome. Perhaps we're hard-wired to like green because so much of nature is green. Just posted pics of my still unfinished kitchen will attach the link so you can see it

Here is a link that might be useful: green and oak kitchen

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Check out melissastar's current thread on the front page right now.

Also check out the pics in this thread and others.

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

Our kitchen is about 5 years old - I lose track. We did a similar look to the last picture you posted with cream uppers and black lowers and island (unfortunately, without the high end appliances). I was inspired by a very upscale kitchen in one of those kitchen and bath speciality mags. I tried to choose elements that would work in my much smaller kitchen. I still love it and can't imagine anything different. I think other people like it too since 2 of our neighbours have since done the same thing in their new kitchens. One went with a nutmeg lower and white upper and the other did black lower and sage green upper.

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

I've messed up my photobucket account, but I found a link to an earlier thread with (kind of blurry) pictures of my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 colour kitchen

• amykath
    13 years ago

In my old house I had two colors. Stained and glazed maple on bottom and glazed cream on top.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

These were in progress photos but give you the idea.

• senator13
    13 years ago

I love that look. I wanted creamy uppers with qs white oak lowers. My husband, however, vetoed it. I think men in general don't seem to be as "on board" with it as women. That being said, I still love the look!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

senator13, that's the look I'm going for! You have good taste. ;-) What did you end up with?

ejbrymom, you can see more of the two first kitchens you posted at Jean Stoffer Design (link below). Love this look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jean Stoffer Design

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

I have cream lower cabinets with blue uppers (and there is some green in there too):

I love having the different colors, and while I was initially concerned having the lighter color on the bottom it has not been an issue.

Good luck! :-)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I did that when we repainted -- very happy with the look as it unifies our small open kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 color cabinets

• senator13
    13 years ago

We will have quartersawn white oak everywhere. I still love our choice, but I would not have hesitated for a minute to go the other way. I guess only time will tell (cabinets will be ready by mid-June) if I am still jealous over the mixed idea.

Here is one of my favorite mixed cab pictures. I think this is cherry. Definetely not grained like QS, but beautiful nonetheless!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Here is mine but the pictures are bad and do not show how the colors play well together.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1011471415014.html

Here is a link that might be useful: jterrilynn's finished kitchen

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

I have that same photo in my inspiration file, senator13! As I wrote, I love this look but one thing makes me hesitate. Will it work in a 17 year old suburban neo-traditional style house? Or will it look out of place?

If we don't do the two toned look, we'll also go with QS oak everywhere, although I may decide to do the island in a color, stained or painted, not sure which yet. We're still a way from moving forward on our kitchen remodel so I have time to mull.

• senator13
    13 years ago

Since neo-traditional seems to span a very broad range of styles, I think it can fit just fine. Just keep it simple and classic, and I think it can work great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neotraditional

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

I considered this--love the look! Here is a photo of a neighbor's kitchen, who used the same builder we did. This was done about 8 years ago--seems like a timeless look, especially in an older home.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

shanghaimom, may I copy that photo for my inspiration file? It's lovely! Her cabinets appear more creamy than white (which is my preference).

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa, pic is from builder --go ahead and copy for your file. It's in mine, too... I liked the fact that it still looks so great after several years.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Thanks! I agree with you - it still looks great after several years. It's not as trendy and that probably helps.

Here are a few of my inspirational photos:

Sunset 2010 Dream Remodel. Click on the link below to see more of this kitchen and the house.

Studio Stratton

Square Deal Remodel

Kitchen Lab

JS Design Build

Attic Magic (or maybe that should be Attic Mag and I goofed on the tag?)

I forgot to label the source for this hutch and it's too long ago for me to remember. If anyone knows, please let me know so that I can give them credit.

You can google the first 5 kitchens to see more of the contractors' or designers' work

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset Dream Remodel 2010

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

paulineinmn's in-progress kitchen? She has white uppers/ stained lowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: paulineinmn's kitchen

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

ejbrymom, are you still here?

aktillery, I forgot to say that your kitchen is also in my inspiration file.

• sochi
    13 years ago

Here is another - walnut lowers, white pantry and uppers. No regrets. I will probably do my island in blue or green.

• linste22
    13 years ago

Love this thread! Thinking of doing the same thing so I don't have to worry about my kids beating up white bottom cabs, and I can still have a somewhat light and airy look by having them up top.

• Toni Lent
    8 years ago

Most people paint upper cabinets different from the lowers. Well I am doing something different. I am painting on the sink side a cocoa brown and on the stove side white.