Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulineinmn

New creamy white cabinets

paulineinmn
13 years ago

Just got my upper cabinets painted and thought I'd post a section of the cabinets to share the color. I've read a lot on GW about different whites - it is hard to find one that is just right! I was looking for an off-white that would give a vintagey, period feel to the cabinets, like they were put in back when the house was built (1911).

We used the new BM Advance paint (waterborne - a new alkyd that goes on like oil but cleans up with soap and water, has low VOCs, and is not supposed to yellow). The color is BM Aura "Paper Mache" and we're really happy with the results. The color really pulls the veining out of the soapstone.

These photos are at night, with just a couple bare bulbs in the kitchen. In daylight, especially late afternoon, the paint takes on a creamier (but still not too yellow) look.

Next week the doors go on and I'll post more photos!

Comments (20)

• celineike
    13 years ago

gorgeous!

• nbptmomto3
    13 years ago

Sooo pretty. Can't wait to see them finished. What's the skinny cab next to the counter-ceiling one?

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Oh wow! What a beautiful clean contrast against the soapstone.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks nbptmomto3! The skinny cabinet on the bottom is a pull out spice rack (the door is attached to the unit). The one above it will have a door on it; it has room for a few shelves inside. I haven't decided what I'm going to use it for - maybe platters or other big flat things.

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

Pretty! Can't wait to see more!

• CheriPatrice
    13 years ago

Nice. Painters just did first coat of SW Antique White on my cabs and it looks too yellow. Of course, it's only set against primed Sheetrock, so I guess I need to let all the colors go in before it can truly be assessed. I love BM aura. This builder uses SW though. Like how yours turned out, so it may be a good backup if I need it! BM Bone White was my first choice until I put it on a cabinet and it looked peachy! Creams are tough.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Pauline, can't wait to see the finished kitchen- looks fabulous so far!!

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Mmmm, Yummy!! Your doing a fabulous job. I can't wait to see it with the doors on!!!

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Really pretty!

• bestyears
    13 years ago

Very pretty! Hadn't heard about that BM line, will have to go look for it...

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Lovely! Can we see more???

• francoise47
    13 years ago

One of the prettiest whites ever!

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Are you doing a stained lower cabinet? This is what we are considering.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi motherof3sons - yes, we are doing stained lower cabinets. They're cherry, with a medium-toned finish. This photo is distorted (it's two photos but they didn't join up well) but you get the idea. The stove is going in the empty space. We're thinking of doing wainscoting between counter and top cabinets, maybe painted the same color as the uppers.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Oh, that's beautiful! Thank you for sharing, because I plan to paint my cabinets, too...and that color is wonderful :)

• cjphilly
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen! Would you mind telling me what sink you went with?

• cardamon
    13 years ago

It's a great color. Looks perfect with the soapstone. The color is similar to mine, I like white/cream colors so much. Good luck finishing.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Pauline- What kind of soapstone did you choose? It's very pretty.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

cjurek, my sink is a Shaw fireclay sink, the 30" size. I love it. I go over to it and surreptitiously stroke it. Same with the soapstone.

Lavender Lass, the soapstone is just regular old Green Mountain soapstone. I tried to pick slabs with minimal veining and I'm happy with that. However, there's one big chunky vein on the little mini-counter near the ripped up stairway on the right. I love that too. It's got little flecks of the palest green sparkly stuff, it's so pretty I want to eat it.