Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (32)

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just beautiful! Everything is pulled together so well. I love the backsplash and stools. Your light fixture is perfect as well. What color are your cabs? Well done. Enjoy your new space.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Congratulations!

I'm really taken by those table bases! More info please.

So impressed by how well you handled the high/slopey ceilings! The stacked cabinets definitely don't get lost but also do not overwhelm the space.

Such charming, well thought out niches and details.

Granite looks terrific! Enjoy!!

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Great kitchen. Love the barstools you picked (I followed that story from the outside)! They match beautifully with the space. Love the light fixture and the uppers.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all!

Oldhouse 1, the upper cabinets are painted hard maple in butter cream, the lowers are cherry and cordovan stained w/sable glaze.

Sabjamta, I made the table bases years ago out of two black rusty high top stands. The top is an old s/s sm commercial refrigerator door. For the base I gathered flat bottom glass from the flower arrangement section of Walmart and craft stores, glued it on with liquid nails, grouted and did a faux brass finish on stem followed by a few layers of clear coat. It was a lot of work but has lasted well for ten years so far.

By the way, this is the old BEFORE kitchen. There was nearly zero countertops to work on and if I had a party I didn’t have any room to plate-up. By taking out the pantry thingy (have another small pantry in hall) and moving range over a foot the space in much better. Oh, and look how the stupid sink just dropped off…so glad to get rid of that crap and I had no where to put my tea stuff. Making the muti level one level in sink area plus adding a nook has given me much needed counter space as well.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/house%20pictures/?action=view&current=graniteanddogandfamily071.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/house%20pictures/?action=view&current=P1010004.jpg"; target="_blank">

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love so much about your transformation!
    The swoosh in your granite near your sink is priceless ;)
    I love the niche, open uppers, bar height table, single level sink area, mirror fronts, etc....
    You made a small space look and work like a much bigger one! Congrats!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Swoon! Love the painted uppers/stained lowers look. Nicely done for a small space.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Wonderful transformation! You must be so happy to have a space that functions sooooo much better! I love how you mixed painted & stained cabs, and your granite swirls are beautiful! Congratulations on a successful reno! Oh, and I too love your unique table--what creativity!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oooh! It's great to see it all come together!!! Looks marvelous!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very nice job!!!

• Jody
    13 years ago

Love what you have done to your kitchen. I tried to look on Photobucket for the rest of your pics, but could not access it.

Just wondering, what color is your granite (the dark brown one) ~ that is just gorgeous!!!

jody

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That you everyone!
    Jody, the dark granite is called Capolabora. At first I wanted soapstone but husband was not keen on it so that took some of the excitement away. I did have a hard time finding info on this stone, some had it listed as a quartzite but I do not think it is. The stone is so much prettier in person…I can’t get any of the kitchen colors to show well. It could be because I’m a bad photographer or my camera bites or both.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow diy progress

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOPS...not Capolabora, it's Capolaboro: )

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Really, really pretty!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oooh, that looks wonderful! Your mix of painted uppers with wood lowers is fabulous! I love your light fixture! Your table bases look really cool and go so well with the barstools you selected! I just love the DIY kitchens!

Congratulations on such a great space--NOW ENJOY it!

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, love your butter cream and your awesome granite! Congratulations!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Very nice job!! I love your stools! And you cabinets! and your backsplash! And the whole thing! Everything looks amazing together, I love the whole room!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous! Love the sink granite!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Oh wow Jterrilynn!!!!!
    I've been looking forward to seeing your kitchen, it's so worth the wait! I loved what I saw in your last progress post but even so, it's even more fabulous than I imagined it would be! Love, love the yellow, the mirrors, the pendant, the barstools, the granite, EVERYTHING. It's just so stylish!!!!!! Congrats and enjoy!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Congratulations! A wonderful transformation. Love the little inset shelves and your little table area in front of the windows.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jiminy Crickets, thank you! I’m going to show husband your comments because he put up with me. I don’t think I’m easy because I’m sort of anal about things being right so he deserves to hear your kindness. He’s a real man a good man a true man and a man to love me fer sure ya know. lol

Here is something else I like in my little kitchen…in my little drawer above my little 15” pull-out trash next to sink I have a little cell phone port station. I love the little things that free up my counters.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20progress%20pictures/?action=view¤t=finished023.jpg"; target="_blank">

P.S Plllog gave me the courage to order those cool circle chairs I wanted. I’m so glad now but at the time I was struggling over being a bit extravagant. Thank you Plllog!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I'm beyond envious of your secret charging station! I have 2 cell phones, a Kindle and some Leap Pad learning game thing charging on my counter every night! I want a drawer like that! Genius!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi rookie, see the ancient cell phone there? That’s mine hehe, husband has the drode. I’m not responsible enough to have the fancy one because I always drop it in the road when walking dog and trucks & cars run over them.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Wow! It looks great! I love the granite you selected with your other colors. Congratulations on a job well done! I can't believe people have the skill, like you do, to complete such a huge DIY project. I am very impressed! Enjoy your lovely new space.

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Betutiful kitchen!!....and the chairs.....just popped right out at me. Love them!!

Stupid question: Is the cell phone port wired to the wall?
    How does the drawer pull out without destroying the wiring behind the drawer? I can't even visualize how it could be done.

Thanks

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

It looks wonderful. I enjoy the interplay of the colors and textures. I'm also impressed by how much better it functions for you with small floorplan changes.

Happy cookin'!

• scootermom
    13 years ago

Wonderful renovation. I just LOVE that granite. So uniquely beautiful!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Doonie and bmorepanic!

Irishcreamgirl, I took some visuals along the way to help others as I was completely tortured by the electric. Although husband did electric he had a great mentor in a friend and fellow co-worker (thank you Mikey). Me, I did the ordering of all the angled plugs, under cabinet lighting and such but also had to do a lot of studying on the new products I was not familiar with…my head does not wrap around electric well.
    Anyway, we used a waterproof flexible electric line (see photo). To give you an idea of how it works think about how a pull-out faucet spray works under your sink with a weight, the flexible line behind drawer is lightly weighted and moves easily with the drawer when opening and closing. The pictures start with the electric at back of cabinet area on peninsula wall. I hope this helps.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20progress%20pictures/?action=view¤t=008-1.jpg"; target="_blank">

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you scooter!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

YUMMY!! Love that Capolaboro granite -- it is so beautiful. And the light fixture is stunning. Really all the elements are super and go together so nicely. I am mightily impressed that this is a DIY!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wonderful kitchen transformation. LOVE your granite! Your cabinets and backsplash are great too. Enjoy.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much chicagoans and bostonpam, it really means a lot to hear this from you both.
    I do love my granite and it gives me so much pleasure when I walk into the kitchen...well you can just imagine after seeing my before pictures.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Info for those thinking of DIYing but have no idea of costs or materials
    All DIY except Countertops…
    Cost Breakdown and supplies (This total will be more for you if you do not have tools)

Cabinets: Conestoga Craftsman line, I ordered them painted, stained and glazed but bought an extra gallon of everything which added a few hundred to total (will use for next project). All plywood boxes, solid wood doors, solid wood shelving, dovetail drawers with ¾” wood bottoms and Blumotion hardware.. Also, pull-out spice cabs, pull-out single garbage, trim molding ect… We did RTA due to having to customize all sizes for corners and wanting quality wood.
    Price includes shipping $8,450.00
    This is what your house will look like
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/stove/?action=view¤t=p1010154.jpg"; target="_blank">

Under counter TR angled plug strips- Task Lighting, $496.00
    Under counter LED’s- Ledpro on Ebay or(Photonier) $225.00
    This is what it looks like http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20progress%20pictures/?action=view¤t=lcdangledplugs004.jpg"; target="_blank">

Sink- C Tech 16 gauge single bowl back drain - ebay $289.00
    Soap dispenser deck_ Mountain Plumbing $42.00
    Backsplash- Buytile & Island stone trim $631.89
    Stainless backsplash- Frigo Designs $189.00
    Knobs & Pulls- Amerock $195.46 includes extra’s

Mirror’s for doors & install $194.00
    Refrigerator- KitchenAid (got $554 back on Florida Energy rebate)
    $1,840.00
    Light Pendant- Tvstands.com $326.56
    Never MT $17.??
    Countertops and install $3,955.00 (w/leftovers)
    Total with supplies (I have around 1,300 in supplies receipts but do not think husband turned them all in). I’m going to add an extra $300

So Total around $18, 449 not including stools

Tools, what we didn’t have we borrowed from husbands place of employment
    We kept and reused all working appliances: stove, microwave and faucet. We kept existing floor. We also used some of existing paint.

We kept cost of brackets/corbels down by using stock molding to match doors on pull-out upper spice doors; we routed out the inside to fit over brackets…Like this
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20progress%20pictures/?action=view¤t=countersupportsandboyspicture001.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20progress%20pictures/?action=view¤t=countersupportsandboyspicture006.jpg"; target="_blank">

What it looks like standing up
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20progress%20pictures/?action=view¤t=moldingsupports003.jpg"; target="_blank">

I hope this helps those just starting the kitchen journey 