Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Interesting...Have you noticed that threads...

Buehl
15 years ago

Have you noticed that threads that have dropped off are now often still available if you've bookmarked them?

As I was going through my bookmarks, I noticed that several I had bookmarked have dropped off...yet I can still bring them up. I have not received a single "Missing File" message today and I've looked at at least a dozen threads that should be "missing"

E.g., "tray cabinets - top 1/2 wasted space"

Last post 2/17/08

Do a search...it doesn't come up

The posts falling off today are mid-March

Yet, it still comes up when I click on my bookmark!

Or how about "Care to share your best kitchen storage ideas?" I tried bumping this one but it doesn't appear in the list; although the bump does appear when I bring it up directly.

So, it looks like in many cases while you can no longer search for an old thread, find it in the thread list, or successfully bump it, you may still be able to see them!

All the threads I've looked at dropped off in 2008--so I wonder if that has something to do with it (i.e., only threads from this year are still available if you know the URL???)

Just in case others can also see...here are some w/links. Hopefully, they will still be available to others as well!

Care to share your best kitchen storage ideas?

tray cabinets - top 1/2 wasted space

What do you wish you had done differently?

Rev-A-Shelf Spice Racks for Fillers -- Have you seen these!!!

So....can the rest of you still see these threads?

Comments (13)

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

I can see them. Thanks.

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

me too!

• alku05
    15 years ago

But we can't bump them up, rats....I tried and it didn't work.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So....if anyone has any threads they think would be useful to the rest of us, you might want to link them here!

For those who need instructions, copy this: Description

Replace "http://www.XXX/"; with your link
    Replace "Description" with the subject of the thread

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know Alku...I tried to bump the Storage one but it didn't work...you can see my bump in the thread itself, but it doesn't show up in the thread lists!

• seedsilly
    15 years ago

and sometimes I can Google a thread that I can't get to via Gardenweb.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Buehl: these were great links, very helpful to me and would never have found them without your post. Bumping you back up as others will surely value this too.

and PS to other GWebbers who may recall great links, please post them here as buehl has requested.

• napagirl
    15 years ago

One thing I do is go to the last page (pg.67) and check to see if there are any threads that I, or anyone else, might like to keep active. Then I just "bump" it forward before it falls off.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

great idea. Yet another excuse to stay glued to GW all night.

• mommycooks
    15 years ago

Way OT - Buehl, how are you doing?

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry MommyCooks, I just saw this! I'm doing OK...still fighting battles over my kitchen though...right now it's my granite!

Thanks for asking! How are you doing? How's your kitchen?

• californiagirl
    15 years ago

I've wondered about this, too, because you can turn up old threads through Google that won't show up in a Gardenweb search. The search feature has always had glitches, like not turning up a thread that has been added to that same day. This means that most active current threads don't show up in the search.

It seems like the search software hasn't been worked on since the founding days of Gardenweb, when the dictatorial webmaster would send you to Disney if he was peeved, usually by complaints like these about the site. It's too bad because there is so much accumulated wisdom in these forums but the poor search engine makes it hard to access that wisdom. At least IVillage won't send us to the Disney website for complaining, though.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My understanding is that the site is only indexed for searching once every 24 hours...that means if you post a message right after the indexing, your post won't show up in the search until the next day.

They have to index for searching, though, to be able to find and retrieve threads in an acceptable amount of time...i.e., it's probably a performance issue!