Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex54_gw

Advice on honed vs polished granite

alex54
13 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and really like the honed granite I have seen. I have a super bright kitchen with skylights so I feel like the polished granite might be too reflective. I also have concerns with upkeep on honed granite since I have teenage boys that do not clean up every spill they make. Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Comments (11)

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

I think it depends a lot on what granite you choose. I have honed VA mist and have had zero problems with stains or oil marks. But then VA mist is not a porous stone AND my granite was polished to begin with which I was told would help prevent staining.

• elba1
    13 years ago

I agree with numbersjunkie that it really depends on the specific granite you choose. For instance, in contrast to VA mist, which many hone, I have never seen honed blue pearl - that is always polished, from what I can tell, because honing it would take away the sparkle of those shiny flecks that attracts folks to that stone.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

A few years ago, much angst was reported by owners of honed Absolute Black. Of course, much AB wasn't even real AB in the first place.

Have you also considered flamed and antiqued finishes?

• alex54
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I am looking at Golden Beach and Bianco Romano. Has anyone used the honed finish on those? I love Virginia mist but havent seen it in my area.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Alex54,
    I too, have buckets of sunshine that pour through my two
    story windows. I have sensitive eyes and wanted something
    that would give off a soft matte feel. I chose VA Jet mist
    honed granite. I love it. I love the soft matte flat paint
    feel to my counters. I agree the color of granite makes a
    huge difference on care or appearance. If you search on GW
    for honed absolute black you will see some people have
    struggled with finger marks and even how it cleans. Not
    everyone but some have found this to be a problem and
    so honed has had a bad reputation but this is not the
    case for all honed granites. I have no issue with my VA mist
    which is a charcoal graphite color.
    A pattern on the honed surface is not going to emphasize a
    uniform kind of look. Imagine a black painted wall in flat
    paint. If you take a wet finger you will see a mark. It
    might fade but if it is oily it might not for a little
    while. But rather than my explanatin check out the pictures
    they can explain with just a peek far better than words.
    Keep in mind this explanation if for honed ab not all
    honed granites.

From a post by Metromom in 2008

Honed Absoulte Black granite

Honed black granite in a bright kitchen may emphasize
    finger prints, water droplets or general streaks from
    washing with a paper towel and how it was dried. If this
    does not bother you, go for it.

Meanwhile here are some images of honed granite. If you
    check out the links below you will see honed Virgina Mist.

Honed Golden Amarillo

Some links from GW

Ideas about light honed granite
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0108363719329.html

Honed granite images from GW
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0721345227780.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Honed versus polished granite counters?

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Hi, I struggled with the honed and shiny as well. Mostly it was I who wanted calm honed something or soapstone and husband wanted shiny granite. We have six eight foot windows on one side of the kitchen. This is what I really wanted before vacation. After coming back from Italy and Spain we fell in love with busier shiny granite for the peninsula and a 2nd calmer shiny granite on the perimeter. Although I still love honed I'm glad things turned out the way they did. The shine is not an issue at all but mostly I love how the peninsula granite just looks like a shiny calm dark warmish charcoal from the adjoining family room but when you get in the kitchen you see all these gleamy fabulous colors and movement. Getting shiny allowed me a busier piece of art without it clashing with the decor in an open plan. We have two college students living at home and what's funny is that I tried to pick a granite for the perimeter to blend with my little butcher block table but in reality it's the color of toast. With my boys it's very convenient having a counter that doesn't show all the toast crumbs lol.

• mamadadapaige
    13 years ago

I orginally had shiny uba tuba and when I cleaned it, it sparkled! looked SO good. I used a damp papertowel and some vinegar windex and then would promptly dry it with a clean/dry kitchen rag.

I now have honed Ocean Green granite (meant to achieve the look of soapstone). It is holding up VERY well. It is lower maintenance than the shinier granite in that you really can't tell when its dirty - hides A LOT whereas it was easier to see crumbs, etc. on the shiny.

• mee19
    12 years ago

I love your range. Is that a GE Monogram? If so what model is it?? I'm looking for a 36" and have not been able to see the GE Monogram in person? How do you like it?

8 years ago

Is your counter top honed granite? Love your sub way tile... is it crackled?

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

For anyone finding this thread in research, in response to comments above, honed Blue Pearl is indeed available; I've seen it at my local MSI distributor. And, never use any fluid containing vinegar to clean granite due to potential for acid etching.