Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gruellie

Let's see your honed granite or soapstone countertops! Help!

gruellie
14 years ago

After reading GW, I thought I was set on a dark grey soapstone countertop with heavy white veining. But now realtors are telling me honed granite is quickly becoming standard on higher end homes and I should use that. I can't seem to find a showroom in Chicago featuring either. I can't pick based on a tiny sample. I plan on staying in my house for many years. I would love to see photos of your kitchen (especially if it's white) with either honed granite or soapstone countertops. What happens to soapstone if you spill red wine on it? Does it wipe off with a sponge and soap? Any idea if, over time, soapstone wear wear into uneven wells or dips in areas of heavy usage? I'm on a budget and soapstone is about $1500-2000 more than granite. Not sure what to do. I'm on the northside of Chicago. Anybody want to volunteer showing me their fabulous kitchen in person? One weird thing: I went to Merch Mart to a fancy cabinet place and their designer told me one of her clients installed soapstone and it was a disaster because of horrible scratches and staining. I told her that was odd because it's supposed to be inert and shouldn't stain. I"m inclined to think she doesn't know what she's talking about, even though she's a designer at a high end shop. Frustrated.

Comments (9)

• gruellie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very nice. Thanks for sharing! And love the hydrangeas, btw!

• dayenu
    14 years ago

soapstone is impervious to everything. they use it for chemistry labs. I adore the soft lush feel and the light veining in mine.

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

I just installed honed Jet Mist (also known as Virginia Mist) granite last week. It needs to be sealed more (an olive oil bottle left a mark but I got it out) and then hopefully will be easier to maintain. I love how it looks. Here are some pix. (Excuse the unfinished backsplash. Will be beveled subway tile.)

• megpie77
    14 years ago

Our kitchen isn't finished yet but our soapstone is in and
    I love it! It does NOT stain but yes I have some scratches
    but would have to point them out to someone. They just blend right in. I was dead set on quartz countertops but decided it was a little too contemporary for me, beautiful though. I haven't read too many great thing about Absoulute honed granite so it was not an option and I prefered the veining in the soapstone as opposed to the details in Cambrian Black granite (not knockin' anyones countertops just a personal choice!). Though now that we are finished I would definately reconcider granite such as the one in redroze kitchen or the Esmerald green (not sure how to spell it). but I was set on a dark countertop with white cabs. Actually my very first choice was marble but hubby wasn't thrilled with it. Here you go!

Our cabinets will be a soft white.

• sundownr
    14 years ago

Here is mine. I LOVE it. So does anyone that sees it.

{{!gwi}}

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Gruellie, if you are still checking this thread, you should read the attached for your FYI. You may have come across it alreday in a search on this forum. It's not to scare you off soapstone (we LOVE ours), but it might explain why the KD talked about staining. See also Rubyfig's very informative (and highly technical!) post trying to explain the properties of ss.

Here are a couple of pics of ours. Top pic feshly oiled; bottom pic after five days (and a dinner party for eight). Eight months of HARD cooking and they still look fabulous. One of my very favorite features in our new kitchen.

HTH,
    Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone patina

• katertot77
    9 years ago

megpie77, I LOVE your soapstone! What kind is it?

• Lyssarose Uskov
    5 years ago

It’s depeds on which one are you getting the original soapstone (from the earth) or the silestone(quartz) soapstone... Origiinal soapstone is cheaper than quartz soapstone, only because it’s man made and labor cost is included which is why it cost more than the orignal soapstone. I was supposed to be getting the original soapstone, but there was some confusion and mistakes, and we settled on soapstone quartz. They send me samples which I am not satisfied iwth the color effects.. I like to have more bold veins than the weak lines of veins. And it looks more Grey than Black.. Which is the color I wanted. So, I’m still communicating with the company, both home depot and the Granite design on this matter. Because our order was not what I was expecting. Although I was looking on pinterest and saw grey with bold vein is what I like to see or have. good Luck on your decision. I won’t have mine until hopefully by 19th of Sept. If we resolved this issue on timely fashion.

Lisa

P.S. I am paying more money than what you estimate on your price range.