Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsherman_gw

Honed light granite?

tsherman
15 years ago

I've seen many pictures of honed black or dark green granite and I love it. We were leaning towards a white/light granite though and I can't seem to find many pictures of those tones honed (or antiqued). The black granite looks like soapstone, so I'm wondering if the white granite will look like a marble - but not have the staining issues.

Is there a reason there are primarily dark honed granites? Any thoughts about light honed/antiqued granite?

Tara

Comments (7)

• staceyinmaine
    15 years ago

I'm going to bump this, because I am wondering the same thing!

• tigger
    15 years ago

I'm honestly not sure why there are so many darker colors of granite that are honed. I do think there are a lot of lighter colors out there that lose a lot of their attractiveness (such as sparkly inclusions) when they are honed. We are using Persian Pearl with an antique finish though and it's lighter (white/cream base with gray/black markings). I think it looks better with the antique finish than it does polished, but that's just my preference. The antique finish is slightly textured though, so doesn't seem to remove every bit of the shine such as when honing.

• gglks
    15 years ago

traci29...would love to see a pic of persian pearl....never heard of it....

• tigger
    15 years ago

Hi gglks,
    I don't have a photo of our exact slab, but here's one from a supplier. I don't think it's the best representation of the Persian Pearl, but gives you an idea of what it looks like. I wanted something with a bit less of the brown/gold (you can see it better in the closeup shot), so our slab has more gray. The Persian Pearl is one of the colors that seemed to have more variability among slabs than most others I considered. Each bundle we saw was completely different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Persian Pearl granite (antique finish)

• jujusmama
    15 years ago

I was just at the local granite wholesaler and they have ventian gold and venetian light in a 'suede' finish. I think they look nice, more 'stone-like' than the polished (if that makes any sense). I got samples to bring home but I doubt I'd be able to take a decent picture of the 3x3 for you to get an idea what it looks like. But maybe try granite suppliers in your area to see in person.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Tara -

IMHO - (and I am just a Fab-Ri-Mi-Cator)...
    the lighter stones like that have a good bit of movement and contrast
    like Giallo Beach/Desert Amarillo, Golden Wave, Maduria Gold, etc
    look absolutely AWESOME honed!!!

We did a "Street of Dreams" aka Parade of Homes in other parts of the US
    in Desert Amarillo - HONED.... it BLEW PEOPLE AWAY, and we sold prolly.. like...
    twenty kitchens off of that one model home we did - and this was 1998 -
    ELEVEN YEARS AGO...

Personally - I do not like to even THINK about doing an Absolute Black Honed
    project - I had a nightmare with 4 all at the same time, and have never ventured
    back into those terrifying waters since.... HA!

IMHO - stick with a lighter stone that has contrast within the shades - in the
    slab, and even some movement, and I think you'll be happy with the end product..
    HOWEVER........
    Have your Fabricator do a test piece on a size like a 12" x 12" or even bigger
    if he can (it costs him $$$ to do this - so go easy on him - OK?) then take
    the sample home and look at it at VARYING TIMES OF THE DAY AND NIGHT....

LIGHT affects (sp?) or is it EFFECTS? - Anyways - LIGHT will definately have an
    affect on the way you see color - natural, incandescant, neon, halogen, HID...etc

I should prolly do a Podcast on this topic, since I have a real liking for the
    lighter stuff - If anyone's got pics they can e-mail me, I'll use them in my
    podcast....

hth

kevin
    Kevin M. Padden
    AZ School of Rock
    Natural Stone 101

• tsherman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your feedback and for resurrecting this thread (because we still have not come close to deciding on the granite!) We were considering Typhoon Bordeaux, or Golden Cream/Dream but it sounds like the TB would be a better choice honed? We'll have to check what the fabricators around my area can do. That Persian Pearl is beautiful! I feel like I'm hunting for treasures every time I go to the granite yard! We're bound to find something eventually!

I know the lighter granites have a greater chance of staining. To clarify, honing doesn't make it more/less apt to stain, right? I'm assuming it only changes the shine/texture, but doesn't effect the absorption. Is that correct?