Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brinked

Kitchen Upgrade (too much white)

brinked
13 years ago

Hello.

Wife and I are in the process of buying a new home. The one thing we dont like about it is the feel of the kitchen. It is very white. We thought about redoing the entire kitchen but that would be very costly. The cabinets are all in good shape, and are decent quality. Here is a picture of the kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Instead of going all out I figured we can really make this kitchen look nice in other ways such as:

1. Replacing the counter tops. The current ones have to go, would like new granite ones that offset a lot of the white going on.

2. Stainless steel appliances.

3. Backsplash on the walls below the cabinets.

4. new handles for the cabinets.

5. Possibley refinishing the cabinets to a different color rather than replacing them.

What are everyones thoughts? I am very new at this and am terrible at design so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comments (25)

• Fori
    13 years ago

MY EYES!
    First, live with it a few weeks to see if the layout works--don't want new counters if you'll have to do a minor cabinet tweak because something makes you crazy.

After that, I think your plan makes a lot of sense. I bet those cabinets will look great white once everything else isn't.

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

That was pretty much with what I did with my almost all white kitchen. Besides needing to be more wheelchair accessible, I wanted it to look warmer and more defined. After it was done, the difference was tremendous. I still love cooking, cleaning and living in my beautiful kitchen.

So, YES, go for it! It will make you feel more at home. However, do it before you move in all your stuff. After the refacing is done, you will have an easier time cleaning without furniture around.

Below is a link to my refaced kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: NTT's warm and cozy kitchen

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

Check out this kitchen facelift with similar cabinets similar to yours.. I agree.. make sure the layout works for you. You might be able to rearrange a few things before you put new countertops down.

The island looks like it is way too close to the oven and fridge for seating.. I also might change the double ovens to something a little more compact and put the micro over there too. Then you can get a pretty vent hood. I also personally prefer the look of cabinets to the ceiling. If you do to, I think this is a great idea...

http://www.diynetwork.com/sweat-equity/concrete-or-bust/index.html

They raised the cabinets to the ceiling and added horozontal cabinets below them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountaineer girl's kitchen transformation

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your new home! It looks lovely (albeit bright)!

I'm not a designer by any means, but I've listed the possibilities in the order of their impact:
    1. Darker floor. Medium or medium-dark wood would definitely warm the space up (or tile, cork, or marmoleum).
    2. Countertop
    3. Appliances (stainless or black)
    4. BS

In the meantime, you might want to wear sunglasses when you're working in the kitchen. ;)

• brinked
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for all the feedback so far.

Darker floors would make a big difference as well.

I like the example with the black counter tops, really goes well with the white cabinets.

I do very much like the look of the cabinets going up to the ceiling, but I am trying to leave the cabinets in tact if possible to save on cost.

Here is the same kitchen as mine, just slightly updated: {{!gwi}}

• function_first
    13 years ago

There's a LOT to love about the kitchen (lucky you! Congrats!!!), but "polar bear in a snowstorm" is what comes to mind when I see all that white. If it were me I think I'd start by leaving cabinets white and paint the island a color -- maybe something that ties in well with the other colors you use in your home. There's a thread about colored islands that has some beautiful examples of gorgeous differnt colored islands in otherwise white cabineted kitchens (link below). Since I was painting it anyway, I'd also add another cabinet to extend it toward the eating area so that it seats three, and then find a couple legs from tablelegs.com to add for an updated look (use Google Images to search "Christopher Peacock island" -- love his islands and their trim/legs!!). I'd maybe add a dark stained walnut top, or maybe some marble. Then, depending upon what color, etc. I made the island, I'd find a backsplash tile to incorporates the color from the island and put it on the far wall. After that I'd consider possibly changing out the counter tops and/or the floor. I really think changing the island and the backsplash would be enough to address the problem, and would very cost efficient compared to changing out all the counters or the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: White painted cabinets w/diff color paint on island??

• elle3
    13 years ago

I think this could be one of those "wow" garden web tranfomations! There are so many gorgeous white kitchens on this forum...I suggest setting aside a few hours and looking through all the current posts. It seems that someone posts a finished white kitchen every few days. You will get so many ideas! Also look through the finished kitchen blog. The post titled Read me if you're new....will take you to a link.
    Do you have wood floors in the adjoining rooms? If so, I would consider changing your floor first. The next thing I would consider is adding molding to the tops of your cabs going all the way to the ceiling--Shouldn't cost too much and will have a huge visual impact. Then look at adding a backsplash--and/or changing the countertop. You might like the countertop more with just adding a backsplash, so take your time. I would leave the appliances alone and change them only after making the other changes first--they might be acceptable once you have the other elements in place.
    One of my favorite white kitchens on here is jbrodie's....use google to search and you will find it.
    Congratulations, and much happiness in your new home.

• ice1
    13 years ago

Here are two white on white kitchens, mine and my sons. I have kashmir white counters and floors, he has black granite and cream tiles. His microwave oven is now inclosed with a door . We both have not put up backsplash, I am doing a glass tile. And I have now curtains on that window.
    ignore my re-fridge that is sticking too far our, needs to be fixt.

I would paint the walls another color and changes the counters .
    You have so many options, nothing wrong with you cabinets at all just need to
    bring in some accent colors .
    Congrats on your new home
    Ice

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I'm not much of a decorator either, but here are a few suggestions and ideas.

- Remove the over-the-range microwave, replace with a hood.
    - Install roll-outs in the base cabinets.
    - Counter-depth refrigerator.
    - Small cabinets above the existing uppers.
    - Undercabinet lighting.

On the aesthetic side,
    - Counters, sink, faucet as you've said. A different counter material for the island.
    - Add a side panel with faux posts, rails, legs to the island, and paint it a darker, contrasting color. Red, black, something like that. Make it a real focal point. Paint is fun.
    - A design on the wall. Look into the cool design that you can order stencils for - maybe start a thread here and those who've done it will come out of the woodwork.
    - Replace some of the upper cabinet doors with glass fronted.

Is that a pantry in the corner?

• Lori Ryan
    13 years ago

I put my sunglasses on to look at the picture. You do not have to replace the cabinets. The first thing I would do is to replace the floor with a tile or wook that is Med to dark toned. It would ground the space and the contrast will tone down the WHITE. Then as time goes on maybe put a wood stained island in the mix. I do not think you have to replace everything. It is a very nice kitchen. Looks spacious and I like the tan color. The floor is the key here.

• noebee1313
    13 years ago

Brinked--
    Your appliances look like they are all in good shape and nice brands. I wouldn't replace these until they die. A double oven, micro, fridge in stainless might run $4,000. If you are trying to not spend a fortune, I'd put your money towards things that actually NEED to be changed out.

You'd be better off adding a granite counter and a wood floor. Both are great ideas, and you'd be changing out something that isn't working, as opposed to the appliances. I'd go medium tone to darker on the floor-- not a blonde color, and the countertop could really be any color you'd like. Maybe see if you like any of the cheaper granites at your local granite yard. Sometime you can find a few choices in the $35-$45 a square foot range.

Changing out the hardware on the cabinets could be a cheap update too.... and if you're not afraid of color, I'd change out the paint on the walls too, to add a little more pop.

Good luck!! Your kitchen has LOADS of potential!!

• momtofour
    13 years ago

I'm with noebee1313. I'd keep the appliances if they are in good condition and replace them with stainless when they die. I would paint the island and maybe leave that countertop. Replace the perimeter countertops, new hardware, faucet and sink. Then jazz it up with a new backsplash. I think it can look amazing!

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

for your current countertops, what are they now that you don't like them? just too light in color, or are they laminate and you really want granite?

for your appliances, maybe a little at a time? Your pic of the updated kitchen with the SS hood (and backsplash) really stands out as a focal point--maybe replace your OTRM and cabs with a SS hood and a SS microwave in the additional island cab that kris ma mentioned :) .

also, I assume your dishwasher is white (and works fine), and you can get a SS(-look) panel alot cheaper than a new dishwasher. Does your fridge have SS handles or is that an optical illusion of my computer monitor?? I think those tend to be much more expensive to buy than a dishwasher panel though.

I agree that putting your money where you can't stand the current items (sounds like countertops and floor?), and then seeing how much is left for other updates, may give you the feel you want while still having money to also update that all-tan master bath that may be upstairs ;)

hth

• lala girl
    13 years ago

What a nice, bright kitchen! You have a lot to work with.

I love white, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt...

IF it were me, I would -

1. change the floor to hardwood, darkish stain - this will immediately warm up the space and provide some nice contract with the cabs. This would be the first thing I did.

2. add a backsplash

3. Get a stylish new faucet.

I prefer white appliances with white cabs - they blend in more and don't chop up the space so much. If I were going high dollar, then I would look at a paneled fridge and DS, and stainless range.

Just my two cents - enjoy your new space!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Floor is the first thing I would replace and then consider painting the walls, depending on how the floor changes things.

If you are replacing the flooring, that would be a good time to consider whether you might want to replace the island with a moveable island, table or just a different island since you can put down flooring down under it.
    Second thing, if you still wanted to lose some white would be counters, sink, faucet and backsplash (if there is one -- not sure if I am seeing white tile or painted walls -- because it probably comes out with the counters).

If that is a gas cooktop, putting in a range top when you are ready to replace would give the kitchen some oomph and take away a bit of white. A stainless hood would do that too -- if you have a place to put a micro or don't use one.

Do you have your own fridge that you will be moving in? If it is stainless, that would be a big section of white that gets changed out. I prefer a white DW to stainless in most white kitchens -- unless it is a panel and I'm split on stainless vs white wall ovens.

• Claudia77
    13 years ago

This kitchen has good bones. Get rid of the "white" floor and replace it with wood - oak floor. That will warm it up. Also, replace the countertop on the island with wood.

• brinked
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the positive feedback! My wife and I love the comments. Each and every one of you has offered a productive comment.

I am starting to agree with many of you in that the floor needs to be changed to a darker color. I would like a wood texture in laminate like a med-dark brown but my wife wants tile. We have this wood like laminate thats in our family room and master bedroom you can see from this image:
    {{!gwi}}

We probably wouldnt want to do the same in the kitchen because then it would become a bit repetitive.

So far my current thinking is this in order of importance:

1. Change flooring to a darker color (med-dark brown)
    2. Change the counter tops to a granite we like that wont blend in with the cabinets.
    3. Swap out the island to something with a different color (I really like this idea).
    4. range top above gas stove.

Do you guys think we can put in a bigger island in there? I think a new island can possibly transform the entire kitchen!

I dont mind putting the money into the kitchen because I know its worth it especially if we ever decide to sell it. I just didn't want to have to redo all the cabinets if we can work with them. I still think we should go with SS appliances, especially the fridge and double oven.

• brinked
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@mtnfever I happen to like the tan master bath. Its actually one of the rooms I didnt see needs upgrading, but of course I am open to suggestions!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I'd paint the walls and then get used to the kitchen. A year or two from now you will have a lot better idea of the kitchen's real flaws. You will also be more certain of what you really want.

• laughablemoments
    13 years ago

What a great kitchen! I know many who would be delighted to work in that space.
    In doing the floor, you might want to check into laminate kitchen owners and see how they feel about it, and tile owners, too. Laminate is prone to chipping (if you drop something sharp) and swelling (drips and spills) and can be noisy (reflects every sound and echoes it back, especially when something is dropped.) The noisy thing can be helped by a really good foam underlayment, but it's so pricey you could probably do real wood for almost the same amt.
    Tile is cold, hard on backs, feet, and little people that fall on it. Things dropped break, the tile and/or the dish.
    Check too with folks that have gone dark on their floors. If you are not absolutely fastidious, you might be happier with something in the light to medium tone to help hide dirt, dust, animal hair, etc. We have a dark piano and it shows the dust in no time flat. Our lighter toned floors are much more forgiving.
    Have you had SS appliances? Some are prone to showing every fingerprint and smudge. White can actually be more forgiving in this area.
    I too, like the colored island idea! This would give it a lot of zip without a lot of expense or commitment.
    Have you seen the program on Corian's website where you can play with wall, cab, and counter colors. It's quite nice (and kinda fun, imo.)
    Best wishes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Corian Room Designer tool

• pollyannacorona
    13 years ago

My husband is not partial to white but I love white cabs, our last build I went with dark to let him have some sort of say in our decisions, and I later wished I went with his imput on anything other than the cabinet color. I imagined the cabinets a beautiful cream color, (in my dreams) but this house I got my way. Do what pleases you and works for your family first and foremost, but if it were me Id leave the cabinets white, except the island. The island could go black maybe? The perimeter granite should be changed for sure, some pattern or color of your liking. Id say you are on the right track with all your ideas especially going stainless, and putting in a different floor. Im partial to dark wood floors with that much light, yes even in the kitchen, if that makes you nervous look at the dark cork floors -they hold up to water and are soft on your feet and you wont be able to damage it (or break everything that drops like you do with tile) Mainly its important to make decisions based on what finishes will work for your family. I would definitely take the advise of others and check out the finished kitchens and look at the white kitchens before you decide you dont like the cabs, white kitchens are timeless. So long as there are farmhouses, American or European, villas or cottages, theres been white cabinets. They do not go out of style, and your cabs can go with an elegant flair by dressing the kitchen up with a sparkly chandelier or oppositely with modern sleek lighting, depending on your taste. After living with dark cabs and now whites I can tell you they certainly make the room brighter even on cloudy rainy days like weve been having.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

brinked

Congrats on your new home

Yes, that kitchen has good bones, appliances -

I would agree with many of the others on the suggestion of changing the flooring to a warm wood - you noted it becoming a bit repetitive. Sometimes, esp in decor repetitive is a good thing - it provides seamless transitions from room to room - rather than a jarring change. Flooring is a huge expanse in a palette & yours would benefit from such change.

Assuming budget is a big consideration following your new home purchase I would do the flooring as number one priority because you will definately get the biggest bang for your buck there. I would follow that with a real hood & lose the OTR micro - you may not even have to change the wall color. Let the rest of your plan follow as $ allows - counters, faucet - eventually appliances.

Good luck

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

Crown molding could be an option for you!

• brinked
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cabinet crwon molding? not a bad idea

• kaysd
    13 years ago

Brinked, congratulations on your new home. The kitchen is a nice size and the family room with those large windows and wood floors is lovely. I happen to love the look of white cabinets with warm wood floors. The floor color in your family room would look great with the white cabinets and would give your home design continuity. Just replacing the flooring will make your kitchen so much warmer looking.

If you are ready to put money into stainless appliances, which I think would look nice, I would put a SS hood over the cooktop (or a range top). You could put a SS microwave drawer in the island, or stack a microwave or combo microwave/speedoven (like an Advantium) over a larger wall oven if you do not need two full size wall ovens. A counter depth fridge would be a nice upgrade. Either crown moldings or smaller cabinets (maybe with glass fronts) stacked on top of your current cabinets would look nice. With white cabinets and wood floors, you would have lots of color choices for stone countertops.