Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountaineergirl_gw

Minor kitchen remodel

mountaineergirl
13 years ago

I've been meaning to post pics before now, but taking them and uploading them seems so time consuming! So here's a few pics from my phone that I finally uploaded...

No new cabinets. Maybe someday I'll get to have a custom cabinet maker to make me new doors but for now I'll live with them. They are sturdy, 3/4" shelving/dovetail drawers but are covered with thermofoil - which cleans up really easy but does feel "plasticy" to touch.

Anyhow, replaced white laminate with emerald pearl, 80 sq feet. New sink (Ticor), new faucet (Delta pull down, forget the name) and new lights. And LED undercabinet lighting that I absolutely LOVE!

So here is the old...

and the "new"

The UCL looks bluer in the pics than in real life. They are a bright white (neutral white) from environmnetallights.com. Fairly easy to install, and they dim.

I love my new faucet, and my stainless sink. Its a 60/40 - 8" and 10" deep, with grids. I don't have a pic of it close-up. the backsplash is Lowe's 3X6 subway tile for $.23 each and paid a tiler $200 for installation.

Of course, I love my granite and UCL the best of all.

My next purchase will be an induction range and matching OTR microwave (I know, really frowned upon but I like them)

My dishwasher is 12 years old, so will probably do all three at the same time. Fridge had to be replaced last year, we got a white FD, bottom freezer drawer and really like it. I guess I don't have any pics of it - its located across from the end of the peninsula.

So that's it! Totaled around $10K, with $8K being the granite. Rest was lighting, paint, backsplash, sink, faucet. and window valances.

Comments (10)

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

Wow it looks like a whole new space! I've heard from many people that adding something like granite can make everything else look cheap and old in comparison, but I have to say that the changes really make your cabinets look nicer! The granite and change in lighting make them look a bit softer and not so crazy white.

congrats!!!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

This is an object lesson in the power of color, lighting, materials.

• elba1
    13 years ago

Very nice transformation - I like it - congrats to you!

• mountaineergirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I should've posted daytime pictures as the color of the walls is different in the daytime. Sometimes looks bluish gray and sometimes greenish gray. I love it.

I forgot to include the hardware for cab doors, but they were from Lowes also, not expensive. But changing all the polished brass stuff to brushed nickel (and stainless faucet) made such a difference!. And the other lighting was polished brass (ceiling fan about island that you can't see was white/polished brass) was changed to pewter.

yeah I think in this case, the granite made my cabinets looks nicer. Feels like a new kitchen!

• bireland
    13 years ago

You have a good eye...simple change and it looks great!

• laurensmom2010
    13 years ago

Can you say where you got your granite and who did it for you? I'm near Bailes and haven't seen any others within hours.

• calimama
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the transformation, and all that beautiful Emerald Pearl!! Really, really nice job!! Keep us posted on the induction range, would love to hear your review.

• mountaineergirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laurensmom -

I got the granite in columbus OH (Stone Mart), and the fabricators/installers were from Port Washington (? i think) OH, and their name is Designer Stone. We are 2-3 hours from Port Washington, but thats who my KD from Parkersburg WV deals with. I kind of got the impression my house was one of the farthest away from them they did, but it wasn't a problem. Probably they want to keep the KD in Parkersburg happy.
    Are you talking about Bailes in Charleston? I have friends who have used them, but to be honest, I never even got a quote from them. My KD would've used them if I wanted, but told me they were more expensive in his opinion, (probably because they ARE the only ones around here) but his primary reason for recommending Designer Stone was their method of templating. Its some kind of computer state-of-the-art thing. and its guaranteed to fit within a 1/32 of an inch. I was impressed with their installation, I tell you. But I thought the price high, tho like I said - I didn't even shop around. I just asked my KD who he likes, went where they told me to pick it out, and paid what they asked. probably not smart - but oh well! I love it!

calimama -

I most certainly will let you know how I like the induction range - whenever I get it! My DH said probably by June, but I'm not pushing it as I have other bills I should pay off first :( and the electric coil range is not bothering me so much like it did at first. I guess I'm getting used to how it looks with the granite - but of course a smooth top range of ANY kind would look better! DH is getting to retirement age and we're trying to get debt free.

• Angela
    13 years ago

I think it looks awesome - all of your "small" changes made a HUGE difference! Great choices and a great example of how you can make small changes without doing a gut remodel and still have an amazing transformation.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

OMG what a transformation!!!!!
    Looks so elegant.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations