Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sevala_gw

kitchen layout help

sevala
11 years ago

ok, this is my first time posting pics, so I apologize in advance because I know it won't be right.

We have recently purchased a 1965 house with the original kitchen - a gut. It's exciting, but daunting. I am going to post two alternate layouts, but am open to suggestions. The overall size of the room (including the eat-in area) is about 14' wide by about 21' long.

We are a family of four, two DDs, 6 and 9 and two adult cooks. DH is into baking bread as well, and the kiddos also like to join in, mostly to help with tasting :) We cook almost every day and DH works at home, so sometimes cooks a real lunch as well. Our splurge in this kitchen is a 36 inch Wolf rangetop and hood. we'll also have double ovens, and a french door fridge (not counter-depth).

We'd like to keep the range on the outside wall, where there is already a vent. I definitely do not want the rangetop in the island.

The window on the side wall in the kitchen area is negotiable. In the professional drawing it stays, in the . . . let's say, less professional drawing, it is gone.

The major design challenge has been the window in the front of the house because a) it's in the front of the house; b) the house is a cape cod, so it's symmetrical with a window on the other side of the house; and c) the sill is only 26 inches from the floor. I could put in a smaller window, but I'd prefer not to, because it would mean having to change the window on the other side of the house, patch the clapboard, etc. Not ruling it out though.

Originally, I thought I wanted the sink in the island (thus the professional drawing), but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that we almost always have at least some dishes in the sink and I think I would hate having to look at that in the middle of the room. Plus, with the sink, dishwasher and the microwave in the island, the island just gets huge, and I think too big for the room. The professional drawing has the island at 39 x 102. My drawing has it at 40x80. So, if I take the sink out, I can downsize the island and have a nice clear space for prep, entertaining, etc.

So if I'm not going to change the front window and put the sink there, I think the corner sink might be the best solution, much as I don't generally love that idea. Any other suggestions for sink placement would be most welcome. The current sink is under the window on the right, with the dishwasher to the right of it, then a small electric cooktop and the wall oven where these drawings show the fridge.

I am also torn between having the wall ovens next to the pantry and putting them into the "niche" on the other side of the island. Don't know if you can tell from the drawing that the pantry is very shallow. We currently have a HUGE pantry, so I think putting the wall oven in the niche and then a full height cabinet with drawers below (for oven mitts, for one thing) and shelves on top for additional pantry storage and storage for trays and serving pieces.

DH is concerned about having the wall ovens across the island from the stove, but I don't think that the location next to the pantry is that much more accessible. If we leave it as a 36 inch counter space with cabs above and below, I can put my stand mixer there and have that be the baking prep area.

If I leave the front window as is, I could put some kind of small chest in front of the window for desk-type storage, or do a window seat with drawer storage below.

So any ideas, comments, criticisms are welcome. I am not confident my KD is doing anything more than spitting back to me what I said I wanted - not coming up with alternatives. And I also am not totally confident he is going to be jazzed about making changes to the current plan, but I want to get the layout right. Otherwise, nothing else will matter.

Help me GW, you're my only hope :)

This post was edited by sevala on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 0:42

Comments (13)

• sevala
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

and here's the professional drawing. There are measurements on there, but don't know how well they will show up

• dan1888
    11 years ago

In a single sink kitchen with two cooking a corner sink is a bottle neck. One alternative is a prep sink on the island corner. Number two alternative is done for your low window. Run only a countertop in front of the window and use something to mask the view from the outside in. This compromise retains the front house facade.
    A single sink can go to the right of the window with the dw in the corner.
    Check in the Appliance forum for induction cooktops also. No waste heat means less ventilation and equal or better than gas for power and response. No top heat up is easy cleanup and a safety factor with kids. It can be integrated into an island surface more easily if needed.

• sevala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. What about putting the sink in front of the low window without changing the window? Maybe with the cabinet bumped out a couple of inches? Is that too funky looking?

• localeater
    11 years ago

You may find this old thread useful it is about cabinets and sinks in front of low windows

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinets in front of low windows

• ControlfreakECS
    11 years ago

I think that was the wrong link.

I found this post containing pics of Casey's window solution. I find it quite intriguing. Scroll down to Marcolo's post.

Here is a link that might be useful: low window solution

• PRO
    Allison Gamba Design Consultant
    11 years ago

You have a very similar layout to my last house and I was also not a fan of the sink in the island. The only suggestion that I would make is that think of cleanup, if your sink is under the window or in the corner it is a long way away from your table. That being said, my island always looked a mess because there was the soap and towel holder that was ALWAYS there. I would probably find a way to put it under your window even if the window went to the counter. As far as the ovens being on the other side of the island, I had that and it was not a problem whatsoever. You just use the island that much more. It's rare that you go from the range to the oven and when you do it's really not a big deal. Good luck!

• sevala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I looked at the thread with the sink in front of the low window and I think it might not be for me. Maybe I have a layout where the corner sink is the best solution? I have one window on the side wall and I might be able to keep it. Then at least I wouldn't be in the corner AND staring t the wall!

• ControlfreakECS
    11 years ago

Here's an idea. What if you make a clean up area in the nook where you show the double ovens and tall cab in your drawing. I can't quite tell what your scale is and how much space you have there, but I'm very happy with my single bowl sink in a 30" cab and a DW is typically 24" so seems like it should fit.

Put the double ovens next to the window and a lower baking counter next to it (is the 26" to the bottom of the sill or the actual window?) Anyway, you'd need a prep sink on the island to make it all work. Keep everything else pretty much the same.

• sevala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that could work. The niche area is about 66 inches, so definitely room for a sink and dw there.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Sorry for posting the wrong link. Below is the one I meant to include , it has a bunch of pictures of dealing with low windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: low windows

• sevala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks localeater! love seeing all those pics. I thought about doing a window seat, and maybe a charging station for phones, ipad etc. in the drawer underneath.

• sevala
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I looked at the thread with the sink in front of the low window and I think it might not be for me. Maybe I have a layout where the corner sink is the best solution? I have one window on the side wall and I might be able to keep it. Then at least I wouldn't be in the corner AND staring t the wall!

• ControlfreakECS
    11 years ago

Just so you know, I have my clean up sink in front of a wall. I honestly never give it a second thought. I spend time there, but not a lot and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything because every other part of my kitchen pretty much looks out over the living space. Just letting you know that not having a window over your sink is hardly the end of the world. The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't do it if I used that sink as my primary prep area. I spend a lot more time and attempt a lot more conversation while I am prepping and cooking then when I am cleaning up at the end of a meal.

Here is a link that might be useful: my finished kitchen