Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thepaintedlady_gw

Large Kitchen Windows that dip below sink

thepaintedlady_gw
12 years ago

So, my thoughts are turning more toward layout and here is one of my issues. I don't mind having a smaller kitchen, I like that my kitchen is closed off from the rest of the house because when we have people over there is a place for them to go and have breakfast without waking up the entire house.

My kitchen (below) has large windows. I love them, the rest of the house has the same windows - which we have paid to have professionally stripped and restored (they now open beautifully, they're double hung and they found copper hardware on them when they stripped them).

Anyway, as you can see the sink cuts right across one of the windows, and while it is not in this picture there is a second window to the right that is similarly cut off by the counter.

So what I'd like to know is if anyone has a good method for designing around this?

Otherwise, I do plan on keeping the windows as is.

Comments (7)

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

I don't understand. That appears to have already been done?

Looks good to me.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

If I could be so crass as to post somebody else's picture--have you seen Casey's kitchen?

Now, that's for a small prep sink so it might not work for a main sink.

But I'm confused as well--looks like you're already all set. Just make sure the back of the cabs show a finish to the outside.

• thepaintedlady_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well we're redoing that kitchen eventually.

I just don't like it.

So we're thinking about how we can change the layout and if there is a better way to design around the windows other than just cutting across them.

I suspect, when the house was built, that there was just a stove, a pantry and maybe a table so the windows would not have been covered as they are now.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I too am interested in ideas for windows that go below the line of the counters. I have an unused breakfast nook I hope to incorporate into true kitchen (cooking) space and the window is a few inches below counter height.

PaintedLady, you could consider changing up your layout to move your sink out from under the window and then install a lowered baking counter under the window. I know many people prefer to have a lower section of countertop for baking.

Marcolo, thanks for posting Casey's kitchen. I've never seen that before, but it's very unique and seems to work very well.

• thepaintedlady_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pricklypearcactus

indeed. I'm going to draw out the layout and try to optimize what we have - using GW as a resource.

I think we're stuck with the layout though. We're not moving walls, and I think all the walls that could be moved to give us more floor space / different floor plan are all supporting the house.

It's actually a really nice kitchen flow wise (with the exception of the dishwasher / oven area).

Anywho, things to look forward to!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

To be clear, I'm not recommending you begin knocking down walls or anything. Your cabinets could still fit along the walls as they are now, but you could relocate the sink and dishwasher, perhaps to the right of the window or directly across from the range. You could then keep the cabinets running along the window wall, but have just the section under the window lowered to make a baking area. There is no requirement that the kitchen sink be in front of a window. There are several threads on GW discussing this including pictures.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

If you want to keep the windows more open...I don't know if this would work or not, but could you put the range, in the corner, between the windows? Then the fridge 'as is' and move the sink to the wall, where the range is now? Maybe with glass uppers on both sides?

If there's room (can't tell from the picture) maybe a prep sink in front of the window by the fridge (like Casey's kitchen) and a baking area, in front of the window, where the sink is now. Just another idea :)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz