Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixtyohno

It's finished!

sixtyohno
12 years ago

The kitchen was grouted last night and it's all done except for a massive cleaning of the rest of the house. Dust and mess.

GW folks were such a help, especially when I was stressed and indecisive. Thank you so much.

Laura

The cabs are Schuler

Rainforest marble counters

cooktop and ovens Bosch

The DW is my old KA. It works fine.

The floor is random cherry and it came with the house.

The MW is in the laundry room. We don't use it much.

I love having drawers for dishes, pots, baking stuff etc.

Comments (77)

• kaysd
    12 years ago

You have created a lovely and calm looking space. The maple cabinets are a nice contrast to the beautiful cherry floors, and the RFG counters, pale green tile and SS appliances all flow together so beautifully with the woods. The woods outside are pretty spectacular too.

I really like your choice of handles and the horizontal orientation. Is that the Princetonian handle or something else?

• lalithar
    12 years ago

I love the green zen feeling in the kitchen. what a lovely space! It seems right for nourishing foods like hot cocoa in the snow and yummy fresh salads in the summer :) Enjoy and a great job.

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful...lalitha beat me to it :) Very Zen like. The green made me think of oceans...and forests...and rain...just lovely. I hope you will post a pic of the view in Spring...you now have Spring indoors all year.

The rugs are wonderful also...and how lucky to have those gorgeous floors already there. Beautiful blending of old and new. c

• ellencrowe
    12 years ago

I love the decor.
    The light green tile back-splash and counter-top compliment the entire kitchen. Excellent choice.

Would you be able to post a picture of your fan?
    From the pictures you provided it seems to be very unique looking. I would be interested in such a fan. If you can't post a picture can you provide the brand that makes it and I'll search for it online.
    Thank you and enjoy your beautiful new kitchen :)

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I love your backsplash. Also, is that a fanimation fan--the kind where the blades fold in when the fan isn't in motion? We're considering one of those?

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

ooohh.....love all those big windows! how wonderful!

• carybk
    12 years ago

Stunning, peaceful kitchen. I liked the colorful contrasting elements you put around, lemons, that fabulous butterfly, the china near the cooktop.

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

sixtyohno--WOW, boxerpups is correct the outside comes inside with those colors. I really like the marble countertop, BS and those big windows. What a beautiful view that is.Lovely.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am delighted to get such a wonderful response to my new kitchen. Here are answers to questions.
    katsmuh-I don't know what the tile brand is. It's not on the empty box. It was $10 s/f. The tile installer thought it was a great buy. I'll find the receipt and let you know.
    chiefy76- The little cabinet in the peninsula is 8 1/2 inches. It's divided and it holds trays and cutting boards.
    wolfgang80- I have 4 3 drawer cabinets. The drawers are 11 inches and 7 inches.
    kaysd- The pulls were a promotion from Schuler. I thought that since they were a promotion, they would be yucky, but they turned out to be excellent.
    ellencrowe and ICFgreen-the fan is Artimis by George Kovacs. Here's a link. I didn't pay that much. I searched till I found a good sale. http://www.wayfair.com/Minka-Aire-58-George-Kovacs-Artemis-Aerodynamic-Ceiling-Fan-in-Translucent-F803-TL-MKA1645.html

• davidro1
    12 years ago

thin tube fluorescents.
    very thin.

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

How on earth do you get anything done with that gorgeous view out that AMAZING wall of windows? No wonder the space is so gorgeous, it'd have to be to compete. Love what you have done, and you really pulled out the stops on the range/backsplash issue! Your counter is beautiful. DS would be all over it creating magical journeys along that veining. Can I come over? :-)

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More answers.
    Chiefy76-The distance from the peninsula edge to the the fridge is 42 inches. But the perspective in the photo is deceiving. The inner edge of the counter is actually opposite only about 5 inches of the fridge. The peninsula comes further into the dining room than the fridge. My goal was to have the longest run of counter, so we go almost to the sliding glass door. And I have a run of over 10 ft. The kitchen is 11'7 wide and 13 feet long but we went a bit into the dining room with the peninsula.

• LottieS
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is perfect. Just looking at it is calming and I love the green, blues and browns that make it join with the woods outside the window. Your granite might be my all time favorite on this site. I admire how you pulled it all together. Finding tile for the backsplash couldn't have been easy. All those drawers!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You've done a great job putting everything together! You must be so happy with the results!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

So glad you decided to remove the other tile. You came up with a good alternative. Enjoy your kitchen.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

What a nice, calm and soothing kitchen!!! Your backsplash is perfect with your counters!

• orcasgramma
    12 years ago

Sixtyohno,

Your kitchen is beautiful and so right with the wonderful view out the windows.

I liked the tiles the way you had them at first but looking at these pictures I think you were right to change them. That little line of color just under the hood seems just right to me.

Kitchen perfection.

• westsider40
    12 years ago

It is so lovely. Serene. Light. You have brought the outdoors in.

The pottery, stuff, you have is obviously collected, received as gifts, in a life of many interests, friends, where you chose to keep and include lovely things, meaningful things, from various avenues. Not slavishly decorated and yet so harmonious.

I love slab cabinets which highlight pretty woods. I have slabs, too. The windows are beautiful as well-and do so well what windows can do-show your special nature settings and warm up the inside.

Sixty, oh yes, arent you glad you are here? Oh, yes.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your gorgeous kitchen...Love the light, bright, clean lines! Adore the backsplash! Enjoy :-)

• theresa2
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I love everything about it, especially how wonderfully it ties in with the outdoors, both in expanse of outdoor views and in the cohesiveness with nature.

I also want to mentioned that I love how you repeated the soft curve throughout the room, with the end of the peninsula, the fridge, oven handles and hood. Simply gorgeous!

• Linda
    12 years ago

So pretty! What a very special place you have created. Simple, yet so beautiful and functional!

Jm

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks light & bright - like that backsplash - congrats to you - enjoy!

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Love the way your tile and granite works with the your beautiful outdoor view. So calming and warm. Thou - looks like winter has moved in in your area! :-) Enjoy!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It's refreshing to see your sense of style. You prove that it's possible to think outside the box and end up with a great new look.
    Casey

• Yvonne B
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I too love your view.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

amazing kitchen! i love the greens, very cool and serene!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Ohno, it's terrifically wonderful. I could so be happy in that kitchen. Congratulations on a great job.

Lovely as the finishes are, I invite people looking for inspiration to imagine that kitchen with one small window over a sink and blocks of upper cabinets where the rest of the glass is. As if it were part of a traditional home constructed any time in the last half century and more. That open sunlight-flooded work area is what creates this look.

• taggie
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, this is fabulous! Those floor are simply stunning -- I've never seen floors like those before -- and your cabinet choice plays off them just beautifully. Everything about your kitchen is so lovely and inviting. Great job!

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much. I love reading all these wonderful posts. I know we took a few risks and I am so pleased that so many people like what we did.
    I love this site for all the help and then for such supportive comments.
    Laura

• amela
    12 years ago

Oh how I love your kitchen! The rainforest is gorgeous.

• jtkaybean
    12 years ago

hands down the most beautiful, stunning countertop I have ever seen on here!

FANTASTIC job, your kitchen is so warm and just lovely.

• SSShayne
    12 years ago

YAY!! Ive been following your kitchen for awhile now while also going thru my own remodel and our GREEN granite counters!! (My backsplash and hood are going in next week)

LOOKS GREAT!! Love everything! You have me second guessing my backsplash - i love the green subway!!

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SSShayne- I do love your counters. What BS did you choose?
    Laura

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

It is beautiful! I love the backsplash and it goes perfectly with your countertops! You guys did a fantastic job!!!
    Capegirl

• caligal
    12 years ago

So serene and beautiful. Just like the view. Very nice renovation!

And you were so right to remove the tiles! Backsplash came out perfect!

• scootermom
    12 years ago

Really beautiful kitchen. Has the layout been working well for you? I'm considering a similar one (somewhat shorter, though). Sounds like you just got done grouting so maybe you haven't had much chance to cook yet, but I'd love to hear how the layout functions for you. So much wonderful counterspace!

• caligal
    12 years ago

I know I already posted above, but I just LOVE your kitchen and can't stop looking at it! I hope you are enjoying the space and celebrating being finished!

• tateland
    12 years ago

so pretty!

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Just found this thread. What a great kitchen! Must ask you about the ceiling fan...are those retractable blades? I really like it.

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

So sorry I just saw the link to the fan. Maybe I missed this to but tell us about those colored tiles under your range hood. Thanks!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

What a gift to have 'inherited' those floors!!! The kitchen is lovely. Such nice clean lines, and surfaces that will be nice to keep clean. Love the marble!

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for all the nice comments. We just returned from a 9 day trip to Seattle and San Diego to visit family. I had kitchen separation the whole time. I needed to be home wiping down the counters and now thanks to GW, I have to alphabetize all the seasonings.
    Happy New Year to all. Peace.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I just noticed your fan.
    I LOVE THAT FAN!

Such a sweet space- enjoy the new year in your new kitchen!

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scootermom-The layout is just perfect. It's working very well. DH and I both cooked today and we did fine together in the space. It's great having the dishes drawers next to the dishwasher and the silver above it. I actually don't mind emptying the DW because there is room for everything. I also love the the long run of counter. That was my number one goal and it worked in this relatively small space. 11.7 x 13. We love looking at the RFG so we are really making an effort to put things away and keep the counters pretty clear and that is a new way of living for us.
    I hope you have a great time with your reno.
    Laura

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Enduring-Regarding your question about our tile change and leaving the line of colored tile under the hood - We couldn't get the little tiles out from under the hood without a big deal, possibly removing a row or 2 of the green subways and possibly messing with the hood. At that point we couldn't spend anymore money and I needed to be done after all the stress of what to do. That line didn't bother me at all. I know it's not perfect, but it' ok. It might be fixable some other time, but right now we are both loving the kitchen and not spending any money.
    Laura

• enduring
    12 years ago

Thanks Sixty, I love the tile and I love the look of your kitchen in general. I am glad you posted it as an example on the other post.

• sail_away
    12 years ago

Love the individual components---and how they work together so well. It looks like a kitchen I'd love to work in. Great job.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Lovely! The marble is superb ... congratulations!

• aprilmack
    12 years ago

Hi Sixtyohno,

How wide are the 3 drawer cabinets next to your range?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I had to look at this gorgeous kitchen again! I love everything about the kitchen especially the most beautiful gorgeous cherry floors and gorgeous counters! Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner