Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Yellow suggestions to match this photo

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi! My kitchen reno is well underway and now I have the luxury of picking a paint color for my old kitchen (new laundry) cabinets. They're typical arched oak.

I think I'd like a light greenish yellow but I'm suuuuper bad at picking yellows. I'd like cabs to look somewhat like the pic below at the end of the day...but this is BM Sweet Pear 389 which is more lime green in my space. So any suggestions for picking a sort of similar looking BM yellow? The top four will come home as samples...exciting! For me. Obviously I could go less intense than this quite safely and that would be totally cool too. All suggestions very welcome!

Contemporary Kitchen by Austin General Contractors TAS Construction)

Comments (25)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Love that color.

My suggestion would be to find a yellow (or yellows) that you really like in anything, fabric, picture, any item and then take it and get it color matched at the paint store.

• ChristyMcK
    10 years ago

I love that cheery color!

My advice? Try, try and try more samples again and again on your cabinet wood. What I've learned picking paint colors, especially finicky ones like gray (and probably yellow) is that it totally depends on the colors surrounding the paint (back splash, floors, lighting, natural light). I have painted over the 'perfect' color in our living room as well as our dining room because even though the small samples I painted looked ok, the color dramatically changed once applied in volume.

I learned for our office that to get a classic 'gray' color we actually need a tan imbued grayish paint color because all true grays looked purple, probably because of the red oak hardwood floors. So, I ended up painting large swaths of paint in at least 8 different grays before finding the right one and even then it still has a very slight purple hue depending on the time of day (another thing to gauge).

The other perhaps more economical and less time consuming option is to hire a designer who truly understands lighting and knows her paint colors. Good luck!

• ashef
    10 years ago

You should follow 2LittleFishies' gorgeous yellow kitchen . She ended up painting the bottom cabinets BM Barley 199, a beautiful pale yellow, and the top cabinets BM Mascarpone AF-20. You can find her 2013 reveal easily. I'm linking a more obscure thread in which she narrows down the cabinet yellow paint possibilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: A New (Yellow) Direction!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

ashef, thanks for posting that thread. I, of course, love Fishies' kitchen. She picked a more buttery yellow, which is beautiful! For some reason I am just crazy for green undertones. Everything in my house is slowly getting painted greenish, from French Canvas on the main walls, Pale Avocado in the Entryway, Laduree green in my powder room. My house is the place complexions go to die!

• 2LittleFishies
    10 years ago

If you like green undertones, try Hawthorne Yellow : )

• 2LittleFishies
    10 years ago

hlove used Hawthorne.. Also spider96 I think?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg031032127708.html

Here is a link that might be useful: thread

This post was edited by 2LittleFishies on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 9:07

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Why don't you take that sample in and have them cut it with 1/2 the intensity? I think it's usually lightened with white. Try that?

You might have to have them yellow it up a bit if it's too green, but that would be a place to start.

Hawthorne is lovely, but no green by any stretch.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a sample of the sweet pear just in case I like it and I'll look at trying something a bit yellower as well and maybe try hawthorne or something just a bit lighter than hawthorne.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PS I'm distracted because of ongoing flooring saga - just have to vent - we had 50yo maple floors, obviously amber which is fine, in dining room and living room. Decided to add new select maple to kitchen. My idea: call it a new room and run flooring in the other direction. Husband's idea: just piece it in and hope it matches, which is what he told the contractor to do. Guess how that went.

So now emergency refinishing of all three rooms had to happen. Today the refinisher tells me that because the old floor has such deep grooves and he can't get all the old yellow out of the grooves, he's got to use oil based poly on the whole shebang. There go my nice light modern maple floors. Hello amber. Hello fumes. Hello hotel stay. Hello flooring guys in my house all week. Not the end of the world but quite annoying to say the least.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 13:22

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My favourite time....sample time! Just tinkering 'til I can live in my house again. In front - yellow clover, sweet pear, van alen green. In the back, ocean blue.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 13:21

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Jealous!! I spent the last two weeks comparing samples of whites ... yours looks much more fun!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm totally back to the drawing board: none of the samples look good in my space! Maybe I need to go bolder? Anyone ever wanted to paint their cabinets ....x..... fun color? I'll consider anything! Except green b/c my husband requested I not paint absolutely everything in our house green.

It's for a laundry room with maple floors, birch counters and dark grey machines. The adjoining rooms are french canvas (greenish off white) and pale avocado.

My main accent colors are turquoise, cobalt, sunshine yellow, lime green and tangerine.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 18:20

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I have a yellow with slight green undertone, I'll try to get the name, it is SW. My contractors tried to match an existing yellow, and when they were done, I was like no, there are green undertones! I finally found the more buttery tones I wanted, but my "wrong" color may be your "right" color! I should be able to track it down.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

I would totally go tangerine in the laundry room! Such a time-consuming chore needs a fun, bright color.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Yellow.... I love it, in the right light!!! Ok so my mom started painting my kitchen. I was there in the daylight when she started, looked fine. I went back in the evening(1gallon later) and was horrified! The yellow looked Limey or highlighter yellow. I was appalled. I loved it on the sample board. I sent my husband to get another sample the next day and refused to continue painting... Well my dh came home with the new sample and LIGHBULBS!! We had just gone through a "warmth" lesson with some different cans, so he switched out all the cans in the kitchen for warmer (closer to 2700k). Huge difference!!!! In the pic you can see where the pantry pass thru window shows the walls in a different light. So make sure what ever you do pick goes with your lights/or vise versa.

ðÂÂÂ
    Jen

• leela4
    10 years ago

Well, I'm a tad bit biased (about blues-especially turquoise), but here's a fun old thread about painting laundry room cabinets:

Here is a link that might be useful: fun colored cabinets

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Pick with sink. It's valspar 3008-2c summer moon if you get to crossing other brands.

Jen

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! Loved reading the fun color cabinets thread! Jennybc, that is one amazing sink!!! Chiefly76, if you have a good tangerine to recommend I'd love to hear it. I tried for months to paint my entryway tangerine and ended up with pale avocado.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 21:19

• User
    10 years ago

I find that more saturated colors look better with hardwood floors. I'd try turquoise. Have you ever seen that blog House of Turquoise? Today's topic is laundry rooms!

This post was edited by may_flowers on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 0:02

• localeater
    10 years ago

You might want to try BM Farm Fresh. It will look too dark on the strip but it changes and looks lighter and brighter in the space.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

Sherwin Williams Full Moon. It may not look like it has green undertones, but sure did in my bathroom.

• jennifer132
    10 years ago

Your request reminded me of the fabulous cabinet color in an older reveal. I love this kitchen. It's one of my all time favorites.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg031204485465.html

Good luck!

• 293summer
    10 years ago

Hi - Don't know if you're still color searching, but recently in Lowes I saw a paint sample Pantone Universe, Glass Green 11-0205, PN2010, by Valspar Signature. I'm pretty sure this is in line with what you're looking for because it's exactly what my kitchen cabinets are. Good luck!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have BM Citrine (I think) on our front door - the computer pictures don't look like it but it might meet your needs.
    It is a rich yellow with just a touch of green tone.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will get some swatches when I'm back in Nova Scotia. Down in South Florida now, wish I were doing a laundry room down here. All those yummy old school pastels and brights look so good down here.

Joseph Gould house by Hiss associates, 1955, renovated 1994.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 8:58

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio