Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

A New (Yellow) Direction! Would love input!

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

Well, I began thinking about paints and accent colors for the kitchen, LR, DR in my 1950 Cape.

(Huge trees against house are gone now...)

When working through it I realized my cabinet ideas weren't working with what I really wanted to do. It got me thinking about what colors I want to work with. I thought my inspiration cabinets were cream but realized they were more ivory/beige. I should mention that several of YOU helped me pull all this info together!! : ) SO, I figured I'd start a new discussion since my others are now very long and have evolved...

I LOVE pale yellow and variations of it and think I want to kitchen to be brighter/lighter- a breath of fresh air!

I really love THESE:

which isn't perfect with THIS- I'm mostly referring to the light cabinet...

I still love the BELOW inspiration photo but think I want to veer away from it by either changing the lighter cabinetry to more of a real cream or very very pale yellow- which may work better with black accent cabinetry than the espresso brown above. No glaze. I would still like to do a walnut island top most likely and keep marble on the perimeter. Also, we were going to town down all of the embellishments to make it less over the top. (many expressed it doesn't go with the house, I know...)

The other obvious option is to make the cabinetry more WHITE, but since I really didn't want a white kitchen I probably won't do that.

My 2nd option, which I REALLY think I may go for is to do something more like THIS:

(quite a change, I know...) OR THIS! Which I really love! I see many yellow kitchens online but we think adding lots of white with it makes the yellow more enjoyable!

I think I would adjust the pic above by making it a bit more formal (but not too much) by still having the white arch window and pendants that are in my original inspiration pic. (Now that I bought them I hope I can make them work! I think with the walnut top island and possible some black they will be okay) I don't know about the open cabinetry but maybe some glass cabinets would work. Love the wallpaper too! The kitchen was designed by Betsy Speert- I'd love to get more views of this kitchen! (I emailed her)

Well, that's where I'm at today. Any suggestions as to whether I should just change my ivory cabinets to cream or a really pale yellow???

OR, just FLAT OUT use yellow with white- & maybe some black- like my last two photos? I planned on Imperial Danby marble which is gray and gold but wonder if I would just use gray with the yellows...

I'm gathering paint swatches and fabric samples and meet with my decorator next week. I'm very excited!

Comments (138)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, equest! Those are great : )

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Hi, I love yellow! My whole house is in the yellow family.
    My kitchen is small and tall so I did my best with it. We finished this DIY project in I think in sept 2010 and we still love it. The cabinets are butter cream, this pictures make it look a bit harsher then they look in real life. When I did my kitchen there were really no other yellow kitchens for me to use as inspiration so it was a bit scary. The skinny upper doors on each side of the range are pull-out spice cabinets, near the sink is a pull-out trash and above that there is a phone port station in the drawer. Most all the base cabs are drawers. For a small kitchen it functions well for us. We put all the little used items the high cabinets. There is a small pantry around the corner that holds the ladder although we don't use it very often.

I did a lot of mixing of materials.

We made use of every little nook in this small space, this built in shelf has been real handy.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your photos jterrilynn!
    Your kitchen came out great : )

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Thank you and your welcome! I know mine is probably a very compact version to what most would want but for the way I cook it works well. We only changed the layout slightly but the old kitchen had almost no countertop work areas and almost no lower storage. When the micro and range bite the dust they will be replaced with something a bit more streamlined.
    Good luck on your plans, you have some great ideas.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to update you all that my yellows are driving me B A N A N A S ! ! !

I went through my 50+ swatches again and got rid of a few and added a few more. Thanks to hlove and equest I now have added Hawthorne Yellow and Vellum to my "yellow wall". My other yellows are starting to look washed out and I really want them to look yellow. They change all the time and every time I think i know my direction the next day they look different. lol

AT THIS MOMENT, I am liking Weston Flax (HC-5) for lowers and maybe do the hood in Hawthorne Yellow (HC-4). I still think Vellum may be a bit too brown for me, but haven't ruled it out yet.

My lighter choices are America's Heartland 197 (but I fear it's TOO light), Cornsilk 198 (tend to be peachy in comparison?), and Summer Harvest 206.
    (I think Weston Flax looks more yellow than these..)

Or, I may be really daring and just go with Hawthorne Yellow on all the lowers.

If I could just get to 2 or 3 colors I can have my cabinet guy paint up a few doors for me! That's all for now... Thoughts always welcome if you should have these swatches too : )

Oh, here's a pic today but you know how that goes...

top: Weston Flax, Pale Moon
    Middle: Hawthorne, Vellum
    Bottom: America's Heartland, Summer Harvest, Cornsilk

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Yellows are hard. Did you find those really big pizza-sized swatches? You have to call around; not every BM store has them.

Why not slap some paint on your current cabs, since they're going anyway. Yellows vary a lot by light, and by how much they reflect each other; and also by how many layers you paint.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I still have 6/7 options for cabinet color. I refuse to go back through my yellow pile b/c all it does is add more to my options as soon as I finally narrow it down.

The problem is that I have nothing to match them with. I mean, I have fabrics I like but I am not actually USING any of the in the new kitchen. I ordered a pendant that I like and I figured I can use that coloring to help match the paint for cabinets.

Pendant I'm considering:

Do you think this color (BELOW) would work? Grandinroad has a variety of stools and one color is saddle and am wondering the true color of it. Unfortunately they don't have swatches of their leathers which is ridiculous.

By the way, my yellow paint options for the cabinets are now:

Weston Flax HC-5
    Pale Moon OC-108 (1/2 shade lighter than weston flax)
    America's Heartland (too light?) 198
    Cornsilk (next on strip after AH- too peach? I like it most times though!)
    Lighthouse 2018-60 (may be too bright)
    Santo Domingo Cream 274
    Harp Strings 213
    ** The last 2 look "greener" or "dirtier" next to the rest at certain times of the day.

I may exchange this KitchenAid b/c it may be too gold? It looks great next to the black/gold fabric(4th photo) above though! It's called Buttercup. It's a little less gold in person but perhaps Majestic Yellow would be a better choice.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By the way almost all the colors are some mix of yellow black orange and gray.

Weston Flax is yellow, yellow oxide and gray
    Pale Moon is Yellow, Yellow Oxide, and Black

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

On my monitor, the Kitchenaid is too gold and I would never buy stools, without a fabric sample! There's no excuse for that...I used to sell furniture and there should always be fabric samples available.

As for your fabrics...don't you have cushions on the banquette, the banquette itself, valances over the windows, table cloth, etc? Plenty of opportunity for fabrics, which will tie in the pendant, too.

From what you've said earlier, the pendant will be too gold for the cabinet colors, but an excellent accent piece. Lighter yellows, creams, etc. might be better for your cabinet colors...and look beautiful with the marble countertops :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi lavender- I know! How could they not have samples? They do for their other fabrics, but not the leathers. Yes, I will have cushions, etc. but none of that is chosen so perhaps I should do that. It seemed like I could do that after the fact but this may spur me to get that done sooner rather than later. Are you saying you don't think the pendant will work? Or, that the cabinet color shouldn't be the same color but an accent color that will go with the lighter cab color? I think you're saying the latter which is what I also think! ; )

It's kind of like the chicken and the egg! Do you choose cabs first and then find stuff to match, or choose "stuff" first and then do the cab color? I love the wallpaper I posted in the Betsy Speert photo so I should look at something like that as well. it looks like it may go well with the pendant.

BTW- I just axed America's Heartland and also Pale Moon. Next to the marble they are a bit light/washed out. Also, Lighthouse is gone. So, down to 4!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought this fun cover for a KitchenAid on eBay : ) Maybe I'll just stick with a white mixer!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Pick your fabrics first. It's much easier to match your paint colors to the fabrics, than the other way around. And yes, I like the pendant, just not as your main cabinet color. It's very cute :)

Nice Kitchenaid cover. I'd go with white...it will match anything and this cover is perfect. Do you want to bring the soft turquoise in as an accent color...or maybe the green? That might help you, while looking for fabrics.

Light yellows can be pretty neutral (IMHO) as are the creams...so the darker yellow/gold and red, green, turquoise (if you like them) might be a neat accent color...or you could stick with yellows and creams. See what you love in fabric choices and that might make things a lot easier! What does your KD say?

Also, just my two cents, but don't buy too many other items, until you settle on fabrics and paint. If you order the stools...and they're the wrong color...that will derail your carefully chosen color palette. Go fabric shopping! :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I'll look at more fabrics. I do like the turquoise the best as an accent color. I also have aqua in the LR so it may carry that in a bit. I'm going to meet with my decorator next week. We were at a stand still (and still are) b/c we are working on getting a few different GC quotes still.

No, I won't be buying stools! lol As it is I have to sell my old pendants! ha!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- This is a good thing...being at a standstill over GC quotes...since it gives you more time to make your design decisions. Once you start remodeling, there will be tons of decisions that need to be made, so the more you can decide now...the easier it will be :)

The aqua color would be fun...maybe a little green, too. Spring is a great time to find those combinations in fabric...lots of yellows, creams, greens and aquas right now. Much better than fall shopping!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

While we wait for the 4th GC estimate... I figured I'd give an update on yellow : )

I am 99% sure my YELLOW will be HC-4 Hawthorne Yellow! My lighter options just weren't exciting me and next to the Danby marble were getting washed out. I love my Hawthorne sample (thanks to hlove and circus peanut for bringing it to my attention) At first I thought it would be too much but I love it. My mom and decorator also loved it the most in person in my kitchen next to other samples so that makes me feel more confident. My cabinet guy is going to paint up a door for me so I can see it on a cabinet which should help.

For the uppers I think Mascarpone AF-20, Mountain Peak White OC-121, or Cotton Balls OC-122... Mascarpone has a touch of yellow in it but still reads white next to the Hawthorne.

What do you think? : )

Inspiration Again:

• enduring
    11 years ago

Love that yellow. It is just a nice rich fresh yellow. Not too light. Its a healthy colored yellow.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

It looks lovely...and works beautifully with your fabric, marble, wood, etc. Very similar to your inspiration picture and I'm so excited to see it on your cabinets! :)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Hawthorne is a gold and has green undertones IIRC. (I don't have the energy to pull out my paint wand.) Not that that's bad--just keep the undertones in mind as you choose other items.

To me the Mascarpone looks a little too pinky yellow, not quite crisp enough. But again, my derriere is stuck to this chair (I just did some emergency cooking) and I'll try to remember to check the chips later.

Overall, your direction is very nice and you will be serving as my guinea pig, since some of our elements are in common.

Don't forget to pull the black out of that fabric somewhere.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the posts enduring and lavender

Marcolo- Good to know. If you get to check out the chips that would be great. I mentioned the other two "whites" above. Mountain Peak white looks a tad pink to me and the other one I do like is cotton balls which is more crisp than mascarpone. Chantilly Lace and Snowfall White OC-118 I think are too white.

My other yellows were all looking beigey to me and some (like cornsilk and traditional yellow too peach) . If Hawthorne leans gold I think that will actually be easier to work with and blend better in other rooms.
    Weston Flax HC-5 was really nice but not quite saturated enough. My 2nd choice is Harp Strings 213. What yellows are you looking at?

Not sure if I'll actually be using that fabric but I like the colors in it so have been using it. lol

Do you think Hawthorne looks similar to the color in the inspiration photo?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In this photo, Hawthorne Yellow is in the middle row on the left.

top: Weston Flax, Pale Moon
    Middle: Hawthorne, Vellum
    Bottom: America's Heartland, Summer Harvest, Cornsilk

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marcolo-

I called BM and they said hawthorne yellow has white, yellow oxide, bright yellow and gray in it. BM says it is pretty neutral.
    I don't see green but then again I'm not a color expert : )

Harp Strings (213) is another I like that is a bit lighter. That one has white, bright yellow, gray, and orange.

Fishies

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Congrats on picking your yellow!! How exciting!! Hawthorne Yellow is gorgeous (and very popular too!). I peeked at the Ben Moore website and when you click "See More Shades" for Hawthorne Yellow, Mascarpone is included! Unless their site is wrong (I would hope not) - they should be lovely together. (I'm a big fan of Mascarpone; we are going to use it in our guest room.)

Best wishes!

• hlove
    11 years ago

The Hawthorne looks pretty much like your inspiration photo, at least in my north-facing kitchen. It's such a beautiful, saturated yellow. We love it so much, we just painted our master bedroom with it.

Our kitchen is 99% finished, so I'll try to post today, although it's pretty cloudy out. Maybe I'll put a banana and a lemon out on the counter so you can compare them to the paint color. :)

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

One more thought - you might want to post about finding your complementary white to go with Hawthorne Yellow over on the Decorating Forum as well. I have gotten lots of terrific color advice from there in the past.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bella- Thanks! Yes, you're right! What does "see more shades mean"? The colors that come up are nothing like Hawthorne! Or, are they supposed to be shades that go well with it??? I know I usually click on "View Similar Colors" to see others I might want to check into.... Mascarpone is a beautiful color. I hope it's white enough b/c I know it's creamy and there is yellow in it. It looks clean to me-- not gray. Otherwise, I am liking Cotton Balls OC-122.

hlove- Congrats on your 99% kitchen! ; ) Pics would be fabulous! I like your banana/lemon idea! It looks like a beautiful yellow! Harp Strings 213 would be a little "safer" but I'll see how the sample doors come out!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

My house is Hawthorne Yellow, and we LOVE it. It does look different at different times of the day, but it is the perfect buttery New England yellow in my opinion.

I would totally paint the kitchen cabs yellow if I could get DH to agree to painting.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mabel- Wow! How gorgeous is that photo? Just beautiful : )

• enduring
    11 years ago

I see that mabeldingeldine's house is trimmed in some green.

Maybe the Gray colorant adds some blueish color to the Hawthorne mix, & blue and yellow=green. Something to consider. On my monitor your sample looks warm, in mabeldingeldine's house it looks cooler, of course there are the green leaves reflecting off of the side.

Keep us posted.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Mabel- I love that yellow! Your house is so cheerful and welcoming.

Fishies- I thought of you, when I found this, while looking for ways to hide the washer/dryer, for MamaPaige's kitchen. Yellow is defintely 'in' :) {{gwi:1571989}}From Snow White album

• hlove
    11 years ago

Finally just posted my kitchen!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Fishies, either get a sample pot of Hawthorn or get one of those huge, pizza-sized chips and keep it in the kitchen space. Hawthorn is a classic but there is no color that is perfect in every room. I expected to use Hawthorn in my LR but it looked absolutely filthy in there. I ended up with Lighthouse, which is a color I hate in every other context except in my LR! It all depends on the light and reflections in the room.

• hlove
    11 years ago

Mabelding... I just love the Hawthorne on your house!! It's so beautiful! Our house's exterior is a yellow-y tan, which I really don't like. I just love saturated color!

• bethcw
    11 years ago

Just had to post - because I see that you are considering BM Marscapone in your kitchen. I AGONIZED over my choice of cabinet colour, and I just wanted to chime in the the Marscapone is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. It is a very CLEAN colour. Not gray, not stark - still white, but soft. It has the tiniest hint of a yellow undertone - but still reads white. totally complementary to any other yellows you will ad in. HTH!

Beth

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

The yellow on my house is read warm or cool depending on the lighting. The same view looks different in a few weeks when all the leaves on the beech tree have changed. IN the afternoons it looks warmer, in the mornings cooler. It is great color for those very reasons. When we bought the house it was a pale tan with white trim, and an attached barn in the same shade as the green trim.

We chose yellow, and added the green trim when we opted to leave the barn that color. The green looks slightly sage- colored, but is also a bit chameleon like with the yellow.

So you see the Hawthorne will work with different accent colors and be a bit chameleon like in your house, too I think.

And thanks for all the compliments :-) I look at that photo whenever I need to spend money on things like a custom made oil tank to remind me I love the house.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! All is very helpful!
    marcolo, I have had all my top colors hanging on my cabs 16"x16" . I got four of the 8x8 free samples from BM and tape them together in the back : )

I only look at the colors in the kitchen b/c everywhere else they are different. My kitchen will be larger than it is now and windows will be different as well-- however the kitchen will still be in the same spot... soo... that's the best I can do!

bethcw- I really LOVE the Mascarpone which is why I hope it will work : ) Even on it's own it is just beautiful! Thanks

mabel- Chameleon is right! It does change throughout the day.. Sometimes it seems bright and others not at all : )

I wish you all could be here in person!!! lol

Well here it as at 2pm on a bright day but not full sun right now.
    Cotton Balls is on the left and Mascarpone on the right. I know pics aren't so accurate though! Mascarpone is looking pinky here and Hawthorne is more yellow.

The color on the right is Harp Strings 213.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Have you ever checked out a kitchen on GW last year by spider96? You might have to google it now. Anyway, it's hawthorne yellow I think. Either way, it was really pretty. It wasn't quite your direction, I don't think, but you might enjoying seeing another beautiful yellow kitchen :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lake girl- I had only seen the one post where you only see an tiny amount of the kitchen but now I did find this one : ) If there are any more please let me know. This one just has the 3 pics

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0419585128385.html

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- Monitors are so unreliable for true color...but I found this plate rack for another thread and thought I'd show it to you. Is it too cream, for your upper cabinet color?
    {{gwi:1571996}}From Fairy tale cottage

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi lavender- It's beautiful : ) It may be a little creamy... Do you know what it is?

Also, I think I'm going to stop looking at pics of Hawthorne Yellow because it looks different everywhere I see it. HA!

Here it is in hlove's kitchen:

And in spiders:

And even in my OWN kitchen- 2 pics look totally different from each other.... (This is NO surprise to you all, I know)

Also, theres a beautiful picture of bungalow house's yellow that is Cornsilk and America's Heartland (which were my beginning choices) that looks lovely!

However in MY kitchen when I hold those 8x8 swatches next to my cabinet and the marble looks SO WASHED OUT. The decorator assures me that viewing the colors in MY kitchen with our own eyes will be the most reliable way to choose.

Kitchen Guy is painting up door cabs for me this weekend in 3 yellows- I threw a light one in as well. Also, two whites-- Mascarpone and Cotton Balls. OK, that is it. Thanks!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- Sorry, I don't know what color it is...just thought it looked pretty and might be something you would like :)

The last picture looks pale to me. I think your color choices look great with your fabrics and will be wonderful in YOUR kitchen!

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

Fishies -

I came across this picture of a room done in pale yellow and turquoise and thought you might like to see it.

I had to laugh when I saw this picture (see link)! Picking out yellows is soooo hard. We painted our living room, dining room, hall, and kitchen Behr Provence Cream. I had paint chips taped to every wall in the house!

Here is a link that might be useful: Does your living room look like this?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oasis- Beautiful Photos! I have been thinking about turquoise as well! Just been looking at fabrics : )

I love my floral and several others I've seen with yellow/marigold/gray/black...

But the turquoise is so pretty too! My Living Room is connected to the DR but there may be french doors. Anyway my LR is chocolate brown with aqua so I'm wondering if I should stick closer to that palette (using aqua/turquoise) or not. We shall see! : )

• baligirl
    11 years ago

We painted our walls Sherwin Williams Hinoki and love it! Perfect soft buttery, creamy yellow. It seems like you've been exploring BM, but maybe another type of pint will help you find the right color?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

baligirl- I couldn't bring myself to do it! I've already been through so many yellows it would start the cycle all over again. LOL I am feeling confident now in the few choices I have narrowed it down to : )

How about these yellows? Was just browsing through photos today!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

On my monitor, they all look cream...except for the dress behind the veil. That's a nice soft yellow, but you can only see part of the skirt :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Yes they look more creamy here but that is from our wedding. My dress was pale gold but DH's shirt was a light yellow : )

• doonie
    11 years ago

2LittleFishes, I am also a yellow lover! Your kitchen ideas are very exciting to me! I ended up using yellowish counter tops in my kitchen and Wyndam Cream on the walls to give my kitchen a warm feel. The light in your particular space has a huge impact on how colors appear. We actually have Hawthorne Yellow in my daughters East facing bedroom and it looks very warm in there, however, her closet is painted the same color, and due to the flourescent lighting, it takes on a distinctly horrendous green tone. Who knew?

Your wedding dress looks lovely! Funny, now that I think about it, my wedding dress was gold and cream! Yellow is a very happy color for me.

I absolutely love the yellow of circuspeanut, jterri, & spyder!

The picture below shows the yellow directin I took, based off of the counter. After that I chose the backsplash colors, and then I had a difficult time with the paint. I ended up going more neutral with Wyndam Cream, but my initial desire was for a stronger color. The wall color is picked up by my creamy yellow backsplash tiles.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! The yellow and the dress itself.

Given you wore yellow to your own wedding, for sure a yellow kitchen is right for you! You are definitely doing the right thing. It will make you smile every time you're in the kitchen. Yellow is such a happy color. :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks doonie and taggie! I am confident yellow is the way to go for me : )
    I'm so excited. I decided to use Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2 fabrics for my accessories : ) I love these!

I really liked my little floral fabric I've been carrying around (above somewhere) but I LOVE the Aviary ones and that I can mix and match them together : )

I also looked at some fabrics with yellow and turquoise but didn't love any and the yellow/gray/black idea is what I really had in mind from the start... What do you think?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I think these fabrics are perfect! I love the bird fabric :)

This way you can bring in other colors for accents and even change them seasonally, without being 'tied' to one particular look. Nice choice!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner