Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twobelles

Another Kohler Stages 45 Question...

TwoBelles
9 years ago

...thanks for indulging! I have searched and could not find an answer to this question, so forgive me if I missed it.

We are planning a new build with the main island containing from left to right:

roll-out trash/dw/32" sink/dw

I am very interested in the Stages 45 sink and would like to change my island plan to:

dw/Stages 45/dw

To accommodate this change, I would need to have room for a large roll out trash underneath the sink. A concern I have had all along is that I don't want to reach over a dw to get to the trash, especially when prepping at my sink. Also, I do not need the wire shelving for the bowls and accessories, as I will have room for them elsewhere. Does anyone have this sink with undermounted trash below? If so, would you please share a pic?

Thanks so much, GW'ers. We are about to lay the foundation and time to change plumbing is running short.

Comments (8)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I just posted a question about the Kohler 45 . . . so I've been thinking on this subject lately. While yours is a question with loads of wiggle room for personal choices, I have several thoughts on your proposal:

This is a sink you buy because you want it to serve you well as you prep food. Yet you're talking about eliminating ALL your adjacent storage for prep items (knives, vegetable peelers, hamburger patty press, and the hundred other items you'd use in prepping food). And you're eliminating your trash can, which is pretty essential for a prep area.

In exchange, you're getting a second dishwasher. Essentially what you're doing is setting up your island as a clean-up area . . . but you're filling it with a very expensive prep sink, when a plain old large sink would serve just as well for what you're describing.

In conclusion, I'd ask this question: What is the purpose of this area? I think you need to clarify that, and then you'll be prepared to move forward.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 19:30

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Here's an older thread I had bookmarked showing a Stages with roll out trash underneath. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: buckheadhillbilly Stages w/trash

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Yes, I did just that. My sink cab is a 36 and 24 combined, so if you have a larger custom cab your rollouts can be larger. I installed two 18" pullouts, one with trash and recycle and the other is half size for my sink cleaning supplies. It's definately a good use of under sink space and I love having it right where I prep. I cut off the accessory holder and have them in drawers to the right. Being an island, you will have plenty of storage directly across. I really like this setup.

{{gwi:2136922}}
    {{gwi:2136931}}

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

The Stages sink is tailor made for a trash under the sink since the drain is offset.

Sigh for that walnut countertop of bbtrix!! I love my soapstone but that walnnut countertop is just SO gorgeous.

You can see everything I squashed in in under the sink in the linked thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stages 45 kitchen cockpit thread

• TwoBelles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank y'all so much for posting such helpful pictures. This is wonderful information to share with our architect. Once again, GW'ers to the rescue! Oaktown, bbtrix, stacie,scrappy25: I especially appreciate the time you each took to respond to my question; the collection of pictures will be a great resource. MrsPete, thank you also for your concern and thoughtful response, but in this case I will have plenty of adjacent storage; my plan is to use this primary island as both a prep and cleaning area for family meals.

Please keep additional ideas and pictures coming! They are much appreciated.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

bbtrix - Sigh - that picture just makes me swoon, smile and sigh. The sink that got away...

• freckles
    9 years ago

Twobelles - scroll down this thread to see how will2kz was able to install part of the dishwasher under the Stages sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dishwasher under Stages sink

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz