Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

For those who remember Towel Pig

kitchendetective
9 years ago

Do you think the powers that be at Crate and Barrel follow Gardenweb? Saw this today and immediately thought of Towel Pig:

Comments (27)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

That was a fun thread. If we can't have a towel pig than we might as well have a pig on a towel!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

how cute!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

You know what's funny to me? That thread happened WAY before I joined GW but I heard someone mention towel pig in a thread after I joined and I kept wondering what they were talking about.

Was this some new kitchen device? Finally, I googled towel pig and the search results took me to the original thread. It was literally the first result to pop up.

Since then, every time I'm in a TJ Maxx, Ross, Big Lots, etc, I always look for a towel pig....and I don't even like pigs!!

I do, however, have a sink with no handy location for a towel so I have been searching for my own version of a towel pig.

Towel pig forever, towel pig for life!! ;)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Viva la towel pig!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I was a late g-webber that also had to search for what the towel pig was all about. Loved the idea, and it would be a solution to a towel problem in my kitchen. I actually found a pig at Home Goods and bought it, but decided pigs weren't my style. Plus the pig was too short for my towels. So I ordered a cast iron moose online to use in the pig's stead (of course it was more than 3-x the cost of the pig! lol). I'll always think of the towel pig thread when seeing it on the counter--which I think is a big part of the fun of decorating.

That piggy towel sure is cute.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I would SO use a towel moose!

My alma mater is the NDSU Bison - maybe I should look for a towel bison...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have had my towel pig for several years now. I still love her.
    Every person who sees her has to stop and look, she is very realistic lol
    Especially her tail! I will post a few pictures

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

From the rear!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Classic side profile!
    Such a lovely lady.
    She will soon be all decked out in her Mardi Gras beads and other finery.
    She does like to show off her bling.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

You just have to smile back at that, rc! So cute! I started frequenting this forum about the time of the towel pig. I'm still looking for a towel elephant. Haven't quite found what I'm looking for just yet.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

She makes me smile.
    I was recently given a very large Tortoise which could definitely be used as a towel Tortoise. I was going to put it in the garden or in my atrium but I like it so much I have it setting on a little table in the den.

If you search for resin casted animals, or resin animals you might find a few. I saw a rhino recently and a few elephants.
    This site has a whole barn yard of animals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animals

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I remember when several gw members were on the hunt for THE towel pig and a German bread box.

ravencajun, she looks as happy as a pig in ... mud. ;)

This post was edited by mama_goose on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 18:23

• User
    9 years ago

I remember towel pig and German bread box. How long ago was that?

• clergychick
    9 years ago

It is TOO funny that this thread is active this week! I have't been on Kitchens Forum for a very long time, but I was watching Property Brothers a while ago, and thought I spotted "THE PIG!!!" I even took a screen shot.
    Then I realized that these pigs had wings. Oh well. The search continues...

Clergychick Amy

{{gwi:2137025}}

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

It was after circuspeanut posted her kitchen, with the dark yellow bread box. And after Martha Stewart featured a white one in her magazine.

{{gwi:2137026}}

One old towel pig thread, with link to an older thread.

German bread box thread, with pic of circuspeanut's bad boy.

Interesting note: I've always liked old pantry boxes, and have several styles, including some fixer-upper enamel bread boxes. When the old threads were current, googling 'enamel bread box' would produce almost all images of the German style. Now the trend is toward the English style with BREAD stenciled on the side. Maybe the prices of the German bread boxes will start to drop. You know ... 'cause they're old ... and ugly ... and no one (but me) wants them anymore. ;)

Sorry for the hijack.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Dang, that is one cute pig! I missed the bread box thread era. Interesting, but way too small for my family's bread storage.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, clergy, good to see you. I thought of your towel dog contribution when I started this thread. What a good sport!

• clergychick
    9 years ago

Hi there kitchendetective! It's nice to be remembered. My towel dog is getting old and grumpy these days. Don't think he'd put up with that any more.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

That was such a fun thread! I laughed until I cried, and then laughed again. And again. And again.

Oh, Towel Pig, wherefore art thou? :D

• margo456
    9 years ago

Towel Pig was way before I found this forum but I had to go back and look! That was really funny - my husband kept giving me weird looks as I kept laughing like crazy.
    Now that I am getting closer to redoing my kitchen (have a May deadline) I might have to start looking for a towel pig as my stove will be further from my sink and I might need a towel holder. :)

• celticmoon
    9 years ago

Too funny, I am in reentry after a long time away and here is towel pig to welcome me back! Like I never left...

• peegee
    9 years ago

Oh mamagoose, thanks for the links - somehow I missed them originally. That Towel Pig thread gave me a lot of laughs!
    Celticmoon! I was a lurker for years, and mostly still am in kitchens, but I remember you well! Welcome back!

• Ziemia
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"Towel Pig" meant I just had to stop by and find out. Well, one thing led to another - this isn't quite as cute, but if one is desperate for one . . . ta da!

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    8 years ago

I LOVE towel bird! Is he made of marble?

• carsonheim
    8 years ago

nope. ceramic. Cost about 7 bucks :)

• zwizzle1
    8 years ago

Sweet towel bird! My 'towel pig' is also avian