Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susied

Curiosity of the German Breadbox

Susied3
13 years ago

OK you guys, I've been looking for the bread box that Circuspeanut has....

Found a beautiful yellow one on Ebay, and got outbid at the last second! I just KNOW it's one of my GW friends!

Chris45ny is who I'm most suspicious of.

I'm just dying to know who got that beautiful box in PRISTINE condition!!

Comments (43)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I haven't seen a thread, but I'd love to see a photo.

Have you ever tried using one of the free last second bidding websites? I've won several ebay items that way.

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

It was circuspeanut who had the amazing bread box-got it in East Berlin in the 80s.

susied3-it wasn't me!! Did see a beat up cream one on ebay but not the yellow. My cousin lives in Germany and I have a nephew on his way to Munich for post doc. research so I plan to ask them to seek out the elusive bread box for me. Wish I had known about the yellow one on ebay!!

Can also try www.stacksandstacks.com as recommended to me by a fellow GWer. They have some neat ones also.

Here's a pic of the German bread box in circuspeanut's kitchen. It definitely belongs there!

• Susied3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH Chris, I was so hoping it was you! Good luck with your nephew finding you one!

This one on ebay was perfect, like brand new, and it went for 120.00
    I was sure hoping it was a GW'r who got it. I was the winning bidder until like 2 seconds and then it was too late to rebid. Imagine my ELATION and DEFLATION in a matter of 2 seconds. I sat and stared at the thing in disbelief!

It almost looks like a reproduction, it's so perfect, but if they make reproductions, I haven't been able to find them.

{{!gwi}}

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Well, I'm green with envy of the person who got this. What great condition it's in!! And it's what I want/need. It looks like a tool box!!

Does ebay have any kind of process where if someone outbids you, you could authorize a bid jump of $5 or whatever?? I feel your pain!!!!!

• chicken1020
    13 years ago

If your interested I just saw a green on on etsy.com Really cute!

Here is a link that might be useful: german bread box

• judydel
    13 years ago

They are so beautiful (this one from ebay and Circuspeanut's). What are they made out of? Are they very old? Is the paint lead?

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

OMG...you are killing me chicken1020...that green one would be fabulous in my kitchen...hyperventilating here!!!!

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

www.vermontcountrystore.com has some toolbox-style breadboxes. I don't think they have handles, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to add one.

• oldhousegal
    13 years ago

OK, now I'm dying to have one! Check this one out on ebay...

Here is a link that might be useful: American made bread box

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

This is one from www.vermontcountrystore.com selling for $60
    It doesn't have the handle on top but maybe one could be added??

• jcoxmd
    13 years ago

Try again. Use esnipe. Do a little research on "completed items" before you bid so you have an idea of where to aim. But try esnipe. It's my friend. : )

• Susied3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jcoxmd, you're right, I didn't do any research, and thought that my maximum bid was plenty! I've never heard of esnipe, will have to google it and try it next time I bid on something.

Looked at the one on Etsy, it is really cute, but it just doesn't have the character of the other kind, with the latch and handle.

I think I saw another one in someone else's kitchen, was it Arlosmom? I think it was a white one. Will have to check out her kitchen again.

It's kind of like the Pig Towel. You want that one and nothing else will do!

I'll check the ebay one that oldhouse girl linked. If anyone bids on one, let me know, and I'll back off so we won't jack up the price so high!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

That white one I posted can be had for $37.99 in white or black (by Polder) on the www.stacksandstacks.com website instead of the $60 that www.vermontcountrystore.com is asking and it's the same bread box!! It doesn't have the handle though.

• chicken1020
    13 years ago

Vampiressrrn, it is too cute but I do like the lock and handle on the other one. I love etsy so much!

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

The $60 one says it is white enamel finish.

The $37.99 one says "sturdy white finish."

Do we know for sure that it is in fact white enamel?

• User
    13 years ago

Love the Lustro Ware box on ebay, oldhousegal. Just be aware that it isn't metal but made of plastic. I've had Lustro Ware canisters in the past and they're cute in the kitchen.

• growlery
    13 years ago

I have one very much like circuspeanut's, but it's green.

To all of you who love these, take my advice:

Be patient! You'll find one.

There were many versions made for decades, mostly in Europe, in many sizes. I have seen adorable oval ones about 6 inches long, round ones in chicken wire enamel, ones with French, German or English writing, those decorated with flowers and chickens, ones with 1950s German simplicity. They come in all colors.

Some have a couple of chips, some are absolutely perfect.

If you happen to go to, or have a friend who is going to Europe, they will find many in antiques and secondhand shops or the puces. They are not very expensive, don't weign much, and you can pack things inside them, so they're not too bad to put in your luggage, particularly if you're traveling with someone and can shift items between suitcases to accommodate it. Or have it shipped back.

Or wait for another to come up on EBay. I can guarantee you another will. It might take awhile, but this box was made in a factory, not by an artist. There are others out there!

Good luck!

• bayareafrancy
    13 years ago

Circuspeanut won it. She needed one for the other side of her stove.

;-)

I coveted one like klb's for a long time. It is a Wesco (or Westco?), made in England. I think they are still made. Alas, I finally admitted to myself that I had no counter space for it.

Here is hers. I hope she won't mind my posting a photo.

{{gwi:1427515}}

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Did some checking:

bread box from www.vermontcountrystore.com for $60 is white enamel over steel made by polder which is written on the front

bread box from www.stacksandstacks.com for $38 is steel also-in white or black-made by polder which is written on the front

dimensions of both are the same so I think it's the same item???

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

growlery is right -- just be patient. I looked on ebay for a long time. Many went for more than I wanted to pay or just weren't what I was looking for. I ended up getting mine for a surprisingly low price. I think it was less than $30 (plus shipping). It's not perfect; it has some chips on the lip and a big ding by the upper handle, but overall it's a beauty and I adore it.

Here's mine:

• latimore
    13 years ago

Look at all of these great colors!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wesco Bread Bins

• Susied3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris, they look the same to me. wow, $22 cheaper. I'm going to hold out for a while for an authentic one like we have seen on here.

The more pictures, the more drooling.
    I checked Arlosmom, her's is a light green. Beautiful

Love Klb's too. Next to that range...

Circuspeanut, or Klb, or someone who has one, I'm wondering, to you actually keep bread in yours?

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

latimore-Love all the colors but oh my-the price!! Don't think I want to spend close to $200 US for a bread box. And they don't have the handle on top!!

susied3-It's amazing how the same things sell on different sites for different amounts. And I'm sure the site selling it cheaper is still making some kind of profit. Love the lt. green one too. I was planning to use it as a bread box but circuspeanut told me it's very big so maybe muffins, danish, or scones could fit in too???

If my nephew finds one in Germany while he's there, wonder if I should have him cram his suitcase full and then start my own little bread box business-LOL!!!!!!

• kathec
    13 years ago

If it's enameled porcelain over steel you might be able to change the color. There's a company called Indepence Porcelain Enamel out of Independence, MO. They can possibly give you a quote on colors. Typically reds are more expensive. I'm sending them some cast iron stove parts from my vintage Chambers range to be re-enameled and each part is about $21.50.

• Susied3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Chris, if he finds them over there, you could sell quite a lot right here!

Arlosmom, can't believe you got that beauty for that cheap! I'm going to do as you and growlery advised, just be patient.

My eyes are blurry from looking for one all day, and I'm supposed to be working on the kitchen layout! BLAH

• Susied3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone know how to calculate UK prices to US? That Wesco site was amazing, Latimore, but how much is UK 84.99 in US dollars? Anyone know?

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

It is about $125

Here is a link that might be useful: Currency Caculator

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Wow-that's not too bad. When we were last in London it was about $2 US to 1 British pound.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Found this seller on uk ebay,mrbin, with 100% feedback and ships to the USA. So you can use paypal and not give all your credit card info to some shop in Europe.

71 lbs plus email for shipping charges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wesco Grandy Listings

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I really like the green as it would match my counter top and Fire-King Jadite, but might be to matchy matchy (which I tend to be) so I just got the Polder in white off of Amazon. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: white box

• growlery
    13 years ago

If anyone is in the Northeast, there are usually a few at Brimfield, which is coming up July 13-18. and again Sept. 7-12.

Dealers who sell this kind of stuff often use the term "kitchenalia" to describe the category.

I'm sure all the other local and regional antiques fairs will have them too. Check them out.

Online dealers will definitely have the highest prices, and you really need to check out condition, to see what you can bear, so in-person is the way to go, in my opinion.

And seriously, be patient! Some of the dealers go to Europe a couple of times a year. You definitely could have your own box in a few months.

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

Imagine what they would go for if they had a towel pig inside!

• jeri
    13 years ago

OK  I want one now too. :-) That Polder on Amazon looks pretty nice! And I love all the things (besides bread) one can use these for  kitchen accessories (for your mixer perhaps), mail, makeup, art supplies, etc. I probably would use it for bread as I have nothing right now. I just donÂt know if I would be happy with white or black after seeing all those beautiful colors Wesco site. :-)

• zenstella
    13 years ago

didn't think i needed a Towel Pig AND a friggin enameled steel bread box.

thanks a bunch ya'll.

ack.

• Susied3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the Polder one as well, however, I wish it came in more colors than black and white.

Thanks deeageaux, I didn't even realize the UK had their own Ebay! And, to top it off, down at the bottom, I found a German one too! So, I found a beautiful RED one like Circuspeanuts and Arlosmom, but they don't ship to the US.
    I'm not too internet savvy, however, now you have me going into the wild blue yonder!

Vampiressnm, let us know how the Polder one is when you receive it. They look really nice.

The Wesco looks like a modern version of the German style, but without the handle on top. They are very pretty, and come in a wide variety of colors. They're also pricey!

Well, tomorrow may be an antique store shopping day, as well as the TJ MAXX, Home Goods, and more looking for that dang towel Pig as well! Wow, this place keeps you hopping!

Here is the red one on the German version of Ebay! It has one bid at 1,00 EURO (whatever that is:))

{{!gwi}}

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

susied3,

Generally it is easier to communicate with the sellers on ebay UK than other ebays around the world. And most of the big platinum dealers will ship to the US.

Generally.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

When I get mine, I'll let you know the quality and post a picture. Not getting a pig though...LOL.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I received my Polder Bread Box from Amazon and it is very nice. Not cheaply made, the white is clean and crisp, the lid fits well. I like it so much that I ordered a second one to give to my Mom, cause it doesn't have any catches or locks and is easy to open and close. Has some vent holes in the back and looks just like the picture on the site.

• vpierce
    13 years ago

Thanks to Chicken1020, I just bought the green breadbox on Etsy--it's perfect for my cream and sage kitchen! I'll try to post photos when it's assumed its rightful place in my kitchen.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Ooooooo...I am totally jealous vickimp...I love that one. It will look awesome in your cream and sage kitchen...so glad you got it. :-)

• chicken1020
    13 years ago

Glad to have helped! Make sure you post pics when you get it.

• aunttomichael
    13 years ago

Here's a white one on Etsy, for anyone who's still looking:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/47867311/antique-white-german-enamel-bread-box

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy White German Breadbox

• pattyannh_centurylink_net
    13 years ago

I have a round blue enamel German bread box. I didn't see any and was wondering about the one I have.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville