Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Towel Pig

Posted by zenstella (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 20:14

This damn pig deserves his own dedicated thread.

I have been trolling these boards for MONTHS now admist our kitchen renovation...and it would figure the time I finally decide to delurk, its because of a friggin PIG figurine.

I am obsessed.

I am a researcher, in my work.

And I am completely stumped. Can NOT FIND THIS PIG!!!! Ack.

Robyn. Please. For the love. I need to know:

Does your pig have ANY markings (manufacturer)?
How big is he (measurements please!)?
Is he heavy?
Any clue what he is made of (cast iron, resin, etc)?
How much did you pay for him at TJMaxx??

I don't think anything else will do now that I have seen this thing.

I have total pig envy. Someone help!

The closest I am getting to the look of this guy are the Flying Pig statues. But I don't want wings. And they arent' nearly as cute. :-( I have even considered looking for a similar cow or turtle. But no.

Need. That. TOWEL PIG!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Most Wanted Pig On The Web

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Towel Pig

Lol!!!!
That pig is a dead ringer for Wilbur in the original animated Charlotte's Web. Good Luck!

o
RE: Towel Pig Thread

Towel pig is pretty popular. I want one too now :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel Pig Thread

o

I think this is him...Percy Pig.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Percy Pig

o
ooops

I left out the word ..."almost". Percy looks almost like the one you're looking for.

o

That Percy is "Some Pig!" as Charlotte would say!

Can anyone translate the size in cm's to real measurements? (you know, inches!)

Do you think if we all went together and placed an order, they'd give us a break on the shipping from the UK?

o

OMG I love him! Now I want one too!

o

The conversion says that Percy Pig is about 12 inches x 4.7 inches...pretty small. How big is Robyns pig? He looks little, too.

They are sooo cute! I WANT ONE!

Sandy

o

oh, zenstella. I too had fallen in lust for the pig... for over a year and a half now! I have searched, embarrassingly too long for him. Every store I go to that has even a small garden figurine type section, my heart skips a beat thinking "this could be the day". but no.

Robyn had sent me an email about him a long time ago with some specs but my computer has since crashed. all i can remember is that she said he is resin.

please, if you ever find him PLEASE post his whereabouts!!

o

Add me to the list of obsessed pig searchers. I've been looking for that pig since the original towel pig post and have yet to find one. I forgot about my obsession for awhile and have been hanging my towel on the oven door. Back to obsession! Just spent the last 3 hrs looking online yet again.

o

is it possible he is the flying pig minus the wings??? The faces/heads look identical..

o

I saw a very similar pig in our local Tuesday Morning store this past weekend, with the garden figurines. I didn't notice how much it was or what it was made of, but when I picked it up it felt heavy.

Happy hunting!

o

Wonder how many of us will end up at tuesday morning on wens.... LOL

o

dudes. he looks JUST like the flying pigs. im convinced. someone is out there dewinging the flyers.

haaaaaa.

my husband had to peel me off the computer after 4hrs today. obscene. really.

i have done every possible ebay/google/shopping/image search you can think of.

he looks JUST LIKE WILBUR. no other pig is comparing. because i want THAT one. i want it black, and i want him happy, and smiling, and all that.

and then there is the size...must be just right. piggy also really needs to be standing and not sitting - so the towel lays just right.

One of you all may like the following pig i found. ive been watching him - he's cheap, cute, and yet NOT ROBYNS TOWEL PIG. and he really wont go with my decor.

So get him. Someone. Because he's stinking cute - and I think his size would work (might be a little big, but some of ya'll have some pimp daddy kitchens)...and the best part? He's cheap. Probably about as much as Robyn paid for Towel Willy (as in Wilbur) - considering he came from TJMAXX.

this is killing me.

and now watch - one of you guys will get this green pig i just pimped out and come back here and post a picture of him - and he will be cooler than Towel Willy - and I will be kicking myself.

I will be dragging my 9month old to Tues. Morning, HomeGoods, TJMaxx, AND, World Market tomorrow. Poor, poor, child.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not the Pig, but may be the NEXT BEST PIG?

o

Awww...now I want one too. I'm a Razorback....woo pig sooie!

o

I too love the towel pig.

When I saw the name of ths thread I called out to my husband "It's a towel pig post!" And he came in from the other room.

He's not the cutest towel pig, he's the ONLY towel pig.

Long live Towel Pig.

o

How cute is he!!! That pig would be the crowning touch to my precious pig collection
Photobucket

o

I was also obsessed with Towel Pig. I spent long hours researching to no avail. I stopped looking and stopped obsessing until this past weekend. We went to visit relatives north of us, and on the way back I begged Hubby to stop at one of those junky "treasure" shops, where they have huge placards warning you that if you break something, it's yours--just to bring back childhood memories. Well, as I rounded the corner, they had all these garden animals in various sizes and species, and I instantly squealed, "Towel Pig!" and went on the hunt.

Towel Frog? No.

Towel Turtle? Nope.

Towel Bunny? Uh uh.

Towel Owl?? Hmmm. Yeah, no.

Towel Cow! Holy Towel Cow! Moooo

Towel Gnome! Towel Gnome in a Hammock!? Ugh.

I'm convinced Towel Pig is hiding from me because he knows how much I love bacon. LOL.

o

I'm not a pig enthusiast, but I will keep an eye out for the little critter.

This item is kind of cute...as pigs go.

Here is a link that might be useful: pig lamp

o

At one point, I too spent hours upon hours looking for that pig. None other can cut it.

I didn't find it and gave up. But boy would I love to find him!

o

What a great way to start the day- thank you for bringing a smile to my face so early!
I wasn't as smitten with the pig when I saw it originally, but when I saw this post I immediately remembered it and thought " oh boy someone will find it and there will be a big run on the towel pig- I need him too.) I thought from all the replies that someone had located it.
Oh well. And Vampiress that lamp is too funny! (I guess we won't say it's the cat's pajamas... new expression will be the pig's towel!!!)
NOt to go too off topic here but I have been trowling the web for a rug for in front of the sink- someone had posted a bunch I think from ebay several years ago when ebay was more varied and diverse-? and the rug was 3 chickens crossing a road, in a crosswalk.IT also said Joe's Bar at one part. I kept deliberating abuot it- I loved it and thought it would be great to have a laugh, then I thought maybe it might be too tacky- then I forgot about it. And of course, then I remembered it recently and looked and looked but I have had zero luck in that department.
I might have to start another post about that one.
Got to love this forum!

o

There has got to be some satisfactory (and perhaps even genius) incarnation of the Towel Pig. I think it could work with the right cow or turtle. Actually a turtle back would be great, but it might not give the right height to clear the rag off the counter.

I've been trying to think 'outside the box' all night - because I fear Robyn's pig is just that. Robyn's pig.

Should we start a Towel Pig Facebook Group?? haaaaaaaa.

o
Rustic Towel Pig

Okay. How about this guy?

He doesn't have nearly the personality the original TP has, but he is great looking. And cast iron.

I can't bring myself to $60 for him though. Anyone else want to be the 'guinea pig' for the rest of us? heehee. I think his size would work.

I also like one of the pigs (and size is good) from the 3 Little Pigs group. But I really do prefer the black look.

You know, Robyn mentioned in those threads that she had gotten the idea from another poster - couldn't find theirs either and had settled on her guy. I wonder what the original looked like...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustic Towel Pig

o

When I saw this post I actually thought it was about the type of towel pig that I have...my husband who can't seem to wash his hands thoroughly before drying them, which has caused the demise of more than one of my hand towels! (Which always reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where Samuel L Jackson yells at John Travolta for soiling the hand towel, but I digress) Anyway, the towel pig of this post is much cuter and I must have one, it will go beautifully in my farm kitchen! :)

o
RE: possibility

An option, but not THE pig

Here is a link that might be useful: a pig...not THE pig

o

o

I should be exercising right now, but I'm deep in pig research. How could I get so easily hooked?

Alternatives?

How about a Towel Squirrel

or Towel Cat

or Towel Duck

Or what could be better than a pig and gnome!

o

are the coins coming out of his butt? awesome.

monkeymo...step away. you are in for the greatest timesuck of your life. don't do it.

o

This thread has been making me laugh so hard! I have to admit I wasted a ridiculous amount of time last night googling around for a towel pig for zenstella....as if she hadn't already seen everything there is out there on the internet. What is is about the hunt? I have a thing for cast iron animals anyway, have an iron pig with wings, various cow and dog doorstops, old piggy banks and nutcrackers. But why did I think *I* could find the towel pig if zenstella couldn't? LOL

o

sheilaaus122-

The thread you started about the chickens in the crosswalk goes to a missing file page, so I'm hoping you check back here. It's not a rug, but I have a print of the image you're talking about.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chickens in crosswalk

o

and for those of you with high-end Tuscany style kitchens. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: designer pig

o

Yes. I did the same thing briosfarm! We all want to be the one to say, "I found it!" But the fact that it was purchased at TJMax does not give me much hope. More often than not, the things there are discontiued items :( (oink!)

o

Or it was at TJMaxx because it has imperfections. Maybe Robin's pig is actually a flying pig but was defective because it had no wings!

o

You could just get the one that airedale4mom found...after all, not everyone will have a $500 pig in their kitchen. Oh, I guess not everyone will have the original pig either, since nobody can find another one hahahaha Okay, seriously, about this very important decor decision: you could consider that the wings wouldn't really show under the towel anyway, and would help hold it up to dry. LOL Or would you consider going a whole different direction and getting this pig to hold your towel? And if you have chihuahuas, it kind of looks like one of those too so it could do dual decor duty. (I don't know how to make this link work, sorry...it's on ebay and it's a "cast iron flying pig butler."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=310225689181&Category=162937&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

o

Oh my! That designer pig is quite the thing. Only - even if I had the dollas for that, he would not be big enough for the duty of 'towel holder'.

Okay, so I just returned from a huge ass antique market here in Atlanta and found.............wait for it.....

Not a damn thing.

I did however see two of the pigs we all have seen online. The bank pig (too little, but good color and great weight), and the pig that circuspeanut posted (which i liked!). he was actually a great size, but hollow and felt very cheap (probably because he is!). i wasn't sure how he would hold up to the moisture over time.

i am determined to either a) find The Pig. or b) find something as cool as The Pig.

onward ho!

o

Restoration Hardware sold the flying pig a few years ago. I have one who stands proudly at the corner of my front desk. I just love him. He is cast iron and a drop dead double (apart from wings) of the one who started this thread.

Suz

o

well not THE ONE, but some very cute ones to be found here....alas, i am now also on the hunt..

http://www.mygardengifts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=66&SetPageSize=50

o

Well, I don't have "THE PIG," but I do have a couple of the afore mentioned beauties at my house. Just had to share...who knew I was so swine divine?

I'm not at my lake house right now so I asked hubby to take these pics for me. Men...look at the photo staging he does. He sits them on our particle board island top that we have had for the last two years amid all the crap on top of the island! I did find it interesting that to the right there just happened to be another "pig" I have in my collection...tres pigs! BTW, I have never posted ANY pics of my kitchen thus far cause it's still not finished. Besides the lovely island top, notice the still undecided paint color choices to the right on the wall. Oh look, there's my glasses...wondered where those got off to. And, alas, do notice that MY pig is the dreaded "winged" version. Drat!

Photobucket.jpg>

And one more pic for you to see my pig a little better... and the furry friend to his right we affectionately call "Pork and Beans."

Photobucket

Sorry if the pics are too big...this is only the second time I've ever done this and I'm not sure how to resize them. And finally, wishing everyone good luck in the pig search palooza!!!

pupwhipped

o

I dunno, I think that winged porker is pretty darned cute. He would go with one of of my sayings, "When pigs fly" which would leave me with the more charming, "When monkeys fly out my butt", and I certainly do NOT want a statue of that! LOL.

I may have to give that critter another look or two.

Dang, pig huntin' is hard work!

o

I've got the brother of pupwhipped's flying pig.... he stands guard at my vegetable garden gate. He was a gift from one of my kids who got him from Restoration Hardware "back in the day".

So..... why not use a flying pig (if they're still sold)... I kind of think that the wings would help give a damp towel some circulation. OMG I'm definitely overthinking this one!!

o

I think a cast iron pig would be too heavy on the counter.

o

You guys are bad! I was late for work this morning after being sucked into the "search"!

o

"I kind of think that the wings would help give a damp towel some circulation."

I was thinking the same thing!

o

ellindi,
Why would cast iron be too heavy? I was thinking that wouldn't get knocked over very easily when the towel was thrown at it. But you've obviously thought of something I hadn't thought of.

I searched much of Black Mountain, NC for the pig today. (I'm here for a church youth conference). With every new shop, every turn of a corner, I anticipated finding "THE Pig".

Closest I got was a b&w winged version, cute, but the painting was done badly, and I didn't like the wings so much.

o

bump for the pig

o

Never in my wildest imagination did I think I needed a pig to drape my dish towels on. Now I want to hop in the car and start driving all over town to buy one. This pig must exist somewhere! I MUST have one!

o

chocolate truffle - I KNOW RIGHT??? My thoughts exactly.

ive created a pig frenzy. the more the merrier on my quest.

but seriously? we need to just patent this thing and make our own friggin Gardenweb Towel Pig. Anyone know a pigsculptorguy? lol.

the concept is brilliant. if only any pig would do...

o

Here's my towel pig. More aptly...a honey bun pig. She and her friend eat a box of honey buns every evening. Piggy Sue,
feral hog.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

My sister would love this! Anyone try overstock.com ?

o

If someone finds THE PIG start a separate thread.
Clegychick: I just thought that a cast iron pig could scrape the counter.

o
P Sue is swine fine

Well, there is absolutely no question in my mind that "Piggy Sue" is the swellest lookin swine thus far on this thread...lovin that red rump! No one else even comes close...even my cutie patootie "Pork and Beans" swine wanna be. Okay, he's technically a dog. But hmmmmmm, the honey bun diet? P Sue's lookin pretty svelte to me. Maybe I'll give it a go? I'm sure Pork and Beans would be game.

pup

o

I called TJMax and a customer rep told me that all things in the store are overstock or discontiued. No leads for "Our Pig" there. Sniff, sniff
Oh, and pupwhipped when I saw your picture I thought "Yorky and Porky"!

o

That is the cutest damned thing, I must go and find one too!

o

Oh geez! How darling is that! How about this cutie?

Here is a link that might be useful: Smiling piggie!

o

How about this one?
Photobucket

o
just in case it is the one

I failed to mention the site:

www.fountainflair.com/ product/DEI-119

o

I've continued following this and it continues to bring a smile to my face.(so thank you each and every one).
I am expecting to see an article any day now in the Wall StJournal or NYTimes about our cult.:)
Seriously though, now I am clicking on all the links and some of them, while obviously NOT being THE one, are pretty darn cute. I love Marilyn's IRL one that is just beyond adorable.
And also the last one by gillylilly is pretty cut as is the one by lilydixie... (now I am checking out dimensions and weight as I research).

o

Another not THE one but a cutie

Here is a link that might be useful: potential stand in

o

Lilydixie - Smiling Piggy may have my vote for now. He is a LITTLE big - but he is the closest to Towel Pig, in my opinion, i've seen thus far. and yet a little more than i want to spend. :-(

YOU ALL ARE AWESOME for humoring me so. (and yourselves in the process).

marilyn - NICE!!!

o

There really is no predicting what will prompt the longest threads, is there? My vote for the most amusing response is "Oh, look there are my glasses."

o

kitchendetective re: "my glasses!" - AGREED!!! lol.

o

kitchendetective and zenstella.....just call me Chuckles!

o

I've got a Towel Cat, almost exactly like the one above, but mine's face points forward. It's ok, but it is a little short, and if I yank the towel off too quick, the towel wants to catch on the tail. I really wanted it to be perfect. :(
S

o

Robin, are there any manuf. markings on your pig? What size is it and could you post full body pix pretty please? I'm not giving up on the pig!!!!

o

Super sleuth Pupwhipped here. No, I haven't found the damn wingless pig. But from what I can see from the original Towel Pig post, THE Towel Pig that we are all coveting belongs to the poster "rmlanza." I did a search (but we all know GW searches can't always be trusted) and it didn't show any posts from her this year...last one I could find was in '09. Anybody got any different information? Seems the search continues for beloved Towel Pig...and now even a search for TP's mom.

o

OMG Marilyn...your piggy is soooooooo cute. :-)

Now that pigs are on my mind-from this thread, I see stuff about them everywhere. It is county fair time in California and when I drive home from work I see a big billboard with 3 suckling pigs advertising the local fair.

It's a craze...I was Googling pig statues last night...LOL

o
RE: Pig with Wings

This one looks like the same style, but it has wings.

Here is a link that might be useful: winged pig

o

Heh, we have pig lamp, too!

Photobucket

o

vampiressrn, that sure looks the same without the wings but I think the pig we're looking for is made of resin,not cast iron.

o

I went into a home store and saw an iron piggy bank that looked exactly like this pig.... (although, obviously, with a hole in its back.) It didn't list the brand, but the store owner said the brand was "SPI." She said she had a larger version that she uses as a door stop that is resin/ceramic! (She had it at her home... not for sale.)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a photo to share .... but I think SPI could be an ok lead? (the door knocker above is SPI..)

o
piggy bank

oh.... not exact..... but here it is

o

I think I found THE pig!!! I was in a Tuesday Morning store today and I saw 2 of them. I don't know why I didn't get it at the time. I had already bought tons of stuff and spent waaaay too much money so I guess I was exercising restraint;) I think it was like $15 or something super cheap. I'm going to go back and get one tomorrow. I really think it is THE coveted towel pig! I'll post pics tomorrow.

o

Get BOTH of them and I'm sure someone here will take the second one off your hands. We could even have a raffle. :)

o

Oh dear lilydixie, The Towel Pig Gods are NOT happy with you. Exercising restraint? HUH? I think if it were me I would have said I suffered from temporary amnesia and now have snapped out of it. I also think I would have my butt up at Tuesday Morning "IN the Mornin" when they open! Two pigs? Two "The Infamous Towel Pigs??" Can you say Ebay? LOL!!!

o

You guys are sooooo funny! I am going to Tuesday Morning tomorrow to see if mine has one.
Here is another idea. I have a banana stand that I don't always use and it works great to hang a towel on. Here is a pic.
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Very clever, nursetammi! DH has a banana stand that I think is a bit of an eyesore. I may borrow your idea. ;^)

o
Pig Obsessed

Nursetammi, yes, yes I think we should now start thinking outside of the pig pen BOX...so to speak. Your idea with the banana stand is very good. After all, there's nooooooo way we are ALL going to end up with "The Towel Pig" in our kitchens...sadly enough. We need other options. Oh, and can I just say, what I see of your kitchen is FABULOUS!

So, how about some other ideas for towel placement options here...similar (or different) to the ones monkeymo mentioned many posts above. Could be animal, vegetable, mineral.....or whatever? I've got one I'm working on. Peter, Hare...cottontail is the clue to you.

And now, can I just ask you? Am I too invested in this thread? I fear I am. I seem to have taken over the role of the OP, zenstella, here. sorry. Maybe I just need to step away from the Towel Pig thread.

Pig OBSESSED Pup

o

When I heard there was a Towel Pig Sighting at Tuesday Morning, of course I had to rush right out and see if he was there. So, I found A towel pig, not THE towel pig, and brought him home with me. He's made of some kind of mache or resin, and is hollow. $14.99, in the garden section. He does have quite a bit of personality, but I admit it - I'll ditch him in a second if the Real Towel Pig comes along.

Here is a link that might be useful: A towel pig, not THE towel pig

o

oh you fickle fickle chocolatetruffle- I understand where you are coming from. That pig(the not THE pig) is indeed pretty darn endearing and sweet! I dont think I have any Tuesday mornings near me. I will have to now google and see.

o

I am going all Pink Flamingo/50's Diner in my kitchen. I did find some tea towels. It is going to be a while till I get my kitchen decorated, but at least I will have some nice towels.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled pig programming. :-)

o

It wouldn't be the first time I went against the grain, I am just not a pig-fan. I do find this whole post amusing though!
And last night I was watching a design show where two teams of designers had to work on a couple of rooms. And what was that bright shiny gold thing on the coffee table? The father of the towel pig? Yep, or at least his Uncle. And, one of the critics liked it! It looked like a bigger, shinier version of that towel-pig!!!!
And when I was in Bed Bath and Beyond, I was wondering about looking for one of those clearance racks.... just maybe..... where or where could that towel-piggie be?

o

You guys are cracking me up. Chocolatetruffle, that pig really has personality.He might possibly be a stand in. I tried the elephant in my kitchen but it just looked like an elephant with a towel on it's head, a good idea but didn't do the trick. I'll stick with my banana stand until I find THE pig.
Pupwhipped, thanks for the compliment. I really need to post my kitchen on finished kitchens but have not sat down to write all the details. I posted a few pics a while back when we finished but I think that post is gone now so I'll have to do it again soon.

I think this is the funniest post I've ever read on GW. Thanks for the laughs.

o

Not a cast iron towel pig, but very cute nonetheless

o

snort (like bump only pig related)

I LOVE this thread!!!!!!!

o

Wow, I don't spend nearly enough time in the Kitchens forum. :)

I have 3 of that pig statue in different sizes, and never once would have thought to use it as a towel holder. That is cute!

I used to "collect" (using the term loosely) pigs. That pig was all over Hobby Lobby about 3 or 4 years ago, and can still be found in 2nd gen stores like Home Goods. With and without wings, and with/without a cricket on its nose. I've seen it in metal and resin. So start scouring, ladies.

Or wait until we move and I unpack. :)

o

Avesmor, you have given us hope.

o

it really IS Pigapolooza!

you guys are awesome. im hittin up TM this morning for a peek...

o

I check this thread every morning, so exciting to see new posts! I have several Tuesday mornings in my area but here I sit waiting for the garage door fix it guy! Wonder if my husband could leave work and wait for the garage door guy so I could go pig hunting????

If I find the pig, I will buy all they have for my fellow piggie friends!

o

seriously - we must take an oath.

whoever shalt findeth Le Piggeh MUST BUY ALL available for thy fellow pigapolooza bretheren!!!

o
Pig really made of towels

Trixieinthegarden....now that I take a second glance, I guess that truly is a towel pig. Cute! Is it all one piece or what??? Did you buy it or make it? The legs certainly look like folded towels. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

pup

o

I remember that pig!!!!

How funny that the pig-lust is still alive and well!

And isn't it great how there are pigs, and there is ThePig.

What is the difference? Well, the important features I see are:

1. Resin, not cast iron (b/c iron could scratch counter, and could rust from the damp towel)

2. Sturdy, tall enough legs (to keep pig from tipping, and keep towel high enough off the counter)

And perhaps most imoprtant:

3. The upward head tilt which serves both to keep the towel from sliding off, and to show the world that ThePig is truly proud and honored to provide support for your towel. I think this is the feature that is the hardest to replicate in other animals. Take cats, for example. Who would believe that a cat is honored to hold a towel? Even if the cat had the same expression on its face, one would assume it was for nefarious reasons (e.g. cat was planning to abscond with towel once the lights go down and use it to trap mice). Cows, chickens, squirrels? None of them can manage that mien. And Gnomes? Everyone knows gnomes are biding their time until they can throw of the shackles of human lawn and garden enslavement! Were a gnome to tip back his head and offer that closed-lipped smile, it would translate to "oh snooty gw'er, you think I am proud to hold your towel, but just you wait. The era of gnome supression is nearing its end, and gnomes everywhere shall rise up and reclaim their rightly status! Bwa ha ha!"

o

Avesmor do the pigs have markings so we can search by manufacturer?

o

This is hilarious. You've got me wanting ThePig too! But I bet he's not available in Canada... unless of course he's fled Target for the great white north and is actually hanging out in Winners...hmm, I drive by one on my way home...

o

If anyone locates THE PIG wholesale I have a wholesale ID I can use to buy a shipment of them... LOL:)

o

bayareafrancy--
I think you've been drinking the gnome's KoolAid!!!
LOL!
--Amy

o

My pigs are in storage, we're in a small rental house waiting for the new construction to complete and had no room for most of my beloved accessories.

I do not remember any particular markings. If towel pig is still a coveted item when we unpack, I will promise to post pictures of any identifying characteristics!

o

Unbelievable, but a very interesting & funny thread to follow
Good Luck Ladies!

o

Checked our local Tuesday Morning.....alas, it is NOT THE Towel Pig...

Photobucket

o

Puppeez, that's the same pig I bought yesterday at my local Tuesday Morning. I decided he can sub until I find the real one. But as Bayareafrancy pointed out, THE pig is standing up and his face is uptilted proudly. THE pig's posture is more conducive to holding a towel than Tuesday's pig. When I place a towel on Tuesday pig, it drags on the counter.

The hunt continues.

o

avesmor, storage is no place for the beloved pig! Maybe you could rent him out to us and we could do a round robin with him We could each take a picture of him in our kitchens, holding our towels - this could be fun!

o

Every day I look on this forum...and there it is... "Towel Pig"...on the first page... with something like 91 responses....sigh.

I wish my kitchen got that many responses...sigh again...

You guys are somethin' else.

KA:)

o

Since my dogs had the unfortunate incident with an amorous loose pet hog a year ago, they are taking a stand against the towel pig.
http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/stove/?action=view¤t=P1010150.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

o

Jterrilyn! Great picture! I see we have passed the 100 post mark. But alas, no closer to our very own Towel Pig.

o

jterrilynn,
I think I found the offspring of the amorous encounter! --Amy

Photobucket

o

i am in hysterics over here. you guys are killin' me with these photos!!!

o

Now that's what I'm talkin about....using "things" you already have layin around the house.

o

I don't have any help in the towel pig hunt, but since this thread is so much fun, I had to comment on what Bayareafancy said: Take cats, for example. Who would believe that a cat is honored to hold a towel?

Well, Siamese cats are often born with kinks in their tails, and there is a Thai legend about why this is so:
* It is said that there was once a Siamese Princess who was frightened of losing her jeweled rings while she bathed in a stream. Looking around for somewhere convenient to place her jewelry, she noticed that her favorite cat had crooked his tail for her benefit. Ever since that time Siamese cats have been born with a tiny kink at the end of their tails to hold the Princess' rings.*

So, cats holding jeweled rings? But of course. A towel? Uh, no.

No matter how desperate you become, do not substitute a towel cat for a towel pig.

o

Clergychick, too. too cute!
Airdale, I like your idea of a round robin, something like "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pig".

o

Oh my gosh I have also looked everywhere for that dang *PIG* LOL I also promise if I find more then one I will buy them all up and hey we can have a pig auction with proceeds going to some organization which bans any eating of pork :)

o

jterrilyn, My DD and I laughed out loud at your picture and then. . .

Had tears running down our faces when we saw clergychick's towel pig/dog! Oh my gosh he's so cute and sitting there so perfectly that he's the best towel pig substitute ever!

o

Trust me, Hugo the French towel pig/dog did not sit there for long!

He says "merci" for the compliments.

o

OMG!! Those photos!! I think something came out of my nose......

(Absolutely the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! Thank you!!)

o

Hahaha Clergy that is one cute doggie! Im not kidding about the loose pig/hog story, one that looked like this picture (except it had randy teen hog tusks) tried to rape my Rottie when he was a year oldit was scary and my dog is traumatized against pigs.
http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/stove/?action=viewt=WildPig463.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

o

OMG ladies, I am SOOO sorry I did not see this! Thanks to Francy (how's the sock knitting going Francy?) for e-mailing me and drawing my attention to this thread! I have been away from this forum for a while, checking in occasionally but rarely posting. I have a busy family and 35 horses to care for regularly!

Okay, well...unfortunately Towel Pig met with a friend's 3 year old and they did not get along. I cried, seriously, I did! He broke an ear and then later a leg. :( AND my little winged pig (Pier 1) ALSO got damaged! I'm really bummed about it and haven't been able to find either of them since. My Towel Pig came from TJ Maxx a couple of years ago. He was $20, made of resin (although he REALLY looked like ceramic) and had no markings on the bottom. I don't get to go to TJ Maxx much anymore but for a good year after I got him I looked weekly in the hopes I'd find one for yet another Robin on this forum. And again, I cannot take credit for him, I stole the idea from the first Robin. I just posted more about him than she did because, well, I'm chatty like that!

I haven't read this entire thread yet, just got on here as soon as I saw Francy's email. But I have to say, I'm now rethinking my quest for a replacement Towel Pig in the hopes I might find a Towel Pug (or is that a Frenchy?)!!! LOVE the dog pics!!!

So good luck in your searches ladies! And if you find one, please let me know so I can get a new one, too! And I'll do the same for y'all!

Robin

o

I've been bypassing this thread because I never considered a pig for a towel, but who can ignore a post that gets over 100 posts in a week and stays on page 1 every day? This is the funniest thread I have seen on GW ever, and those substitute pigs are hilarious. And some of you should be collaborating on a publication with your descriptive writing.

Have you thought about finding a winged pig and seeing if the mfg can make one without wings? What is it about winged pigs that they are so prolific?

Here's a tissue, bafrancy... (btw, welcome back? I won't hijack... don't answer, but when I was researching stones I came across your soapstone woes. I hope they have been resolved.)

o

Oh, the Humanity! Not THE original Towel Pig!!! Robin, we may all just cry, too.

o

Oh Robin!! Oh NO!!!!! Maybe cast iron would be better after all.

I'm not sure you should have told these ladies. They strike me as a very unbalanced set.

;-P

o

I bet if Tuesday Morning or TJMaxx saw this post I think Towel Pig would be making some special appearances:)

Kitchenaddict, now we know that all we have to do is get a Towel Pig and put him in our kitchen pics and we'd double our responses on our kitchens :)

I've decided some of you guys could be comedians , you are so funny (bayareafrancy, the nose got me :)

o

clergychick...I spewed soda on my laptop...Frenchy is a hoot!!! pupwhipped is so right about using things you have laying around...recycling is the way to go.

Oh dear what a sad ending to the original lusted after pig. Needless to say that wholesale license will need to go into play if the relatives are found.

The search is on....RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

o

OH NOOOOOOOOO! Not THEE Towel Pig. Noooooo!

I may have to wear black tomorrow. Wait--I wonder if my sack cloth is back from the cleaners...

And I repent of my enjoyment of the absolutely delectable grilled pork chops I had on Sunday. And Monday.

*sob* Oh, Towel Pig....

o

What a great thread! Amy....your towel Frenchie is perfect. Who needs a pig when you have that cutie?? But since I don't have a frenchie, I DO need a pig now. I didn't before....but now I do. I actually spent some time on google yesterday searching for the pig but had no luck. I may have to go shopping soon.

o

RIP TP.

This is very sad news. Things are not looking good. Not good at all.

See thats what I was thinking - re: find manuf. make TOWEL PIG incarnation #2 for gardenweb forum members. it will be the Special GW Edition. ha!

NO ONE KNOWS A PIGGY SCULPTOR??? What is wrong with you people!? You mean to tell me not a single one of you have an Etsy shop selling small resin animal scultures for kitchen bling? GAH!

I am pretty sure this is what they call a 'niche market'. heehee.

Our niche is pretty impressive. Dammit.

o

Do you mean to tell me after all this Towel PIG is dead? OMG. Say it is not so! We must honor Towel Pig and find another.

o

TJ Max here we come!

o

So, you're thinking this is NOT a good alternative?

Photobucket

o

Oh my! First the towel dogs, then the Towel Pug pic. Glad I'd just finished my tea or I'd be buying a new laptop about now.

I was at TJ Maxx yesterday. Alas, nothing piggy at mine. However, there was a cute owl..... Towel Owl anyone?

o

i'm new here, but i found this one... don't know if you'd want to settle for it, since it's head is down?

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pig

o

OH! So sorry to hear of Towel Pigs untimely retirement. I'm always saying children are highly overrated.

That just means that you get the first new one we find!

o

and this one... i'll look some more, just because there's nothing i can't stand more than if i really, really want something, and i can't find it, or someone tells me "no"... it just doesn't sit well with me... ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: another option...

o
Requiem for the Towel Pig

A Ritual for the Grieving Community

POSTULO PRO SUS TELA (Requiem for the Towel Pig)
I. Praeconorio (Proclamation)
With head lifted in gladsome pride, eyes atwinkle with merriment, and strong back inviting the burdens of his vocation, the exemplor sus tela (original towel pig) captured the hearts and imaginations of the citizens of the Kitchen Forum. No other creature could serve as he served. No other beast could bear the damp cloths of their homes with his joyful and abiding good humor. Though many alternatives were presented, though many imposters were examined and dismissed, no other could fill the void of sink-adjacent countertops felt by the community. On high shelves and lowly aisleways the community members sought the elusive sus tela, each desiring her own merry swine. Rumors of sightings rippled through threads of conversations. Hopes rose as vendors far and wide, real and virtual, were scoured for the peculiar porcine pottery, only to be dashed by the presence of feathered wings or weighty iron, by insufficient height or humble attitude.

II. Ploratior (Lamentation)
Alas, the searchers looked in vain for days, for weeks, for months. Turning each corner with hope-filled breast: turning away with crushing unfulfillment. Then the devastating news was heard: exemplor sus tela was no more. The victim of infantile antics, an ear was sacrificed, and then a leg, and the brave little pig could not stand, could not bear his happy burden, could perform his duty for his family no more. Alas and alas. Shed a tear all ye who search for the sus tela. Cry and weep and moan for his happy visage no longer peeks from beneath the fabric of his encumberance.

III. Consolatio (Consolation)
Yet there still remains for those of us who seek the hope of finding; for those of us who shop the hope of buying fades little with each passing purchase. Out of the corner of an eye a snout will be seen, and in a chest a heart will leap and a pulse will quicken. For there is faith that flies in the face of the evidence of failure, faith that survives the countless disappointments, faith that leaves no aisle unexplored, no shop unentered, no garage sale uninvestigated. Someday amidst the threads of our conversations there will appear like a shining beacon of hope the victorious shout of "I HAVE FOUND THE TOWEL PIG AND HE IS MINE!" And on that day the community of the Garden Web will rejoice with the porkers persistent purchaser, and explorations for the elusive swine will be renewed upon the earth. And someday, somewhere, so great a longing in the hearts of the people will be sensed by the providers of pigs that the novus sus tela will come forth to satisfy all of us who yearn for a towel pig of our own. And O, what a happy day that will be.

SILEO IN PACIS, SUS TELA EXEMPLOR.

o

I am laughing so hard I can't see straight.... that is the funniest thing on the funniest thread I've read in a long, long time!!!!!!!! :)

o

The PIG is dead, long live the PIG! LOL

I can't believe the OTP (Original Towel Pig) is gone. The last of the only known and endangered kitchen accessory, gone.

The only thing that brightens me up at this point is coming back every day to gaze upon FTD (Frenchy, the Towel Dog.

I still think Percy is a nice alternative.

Photobucket

Jodi-

o

Oh geez, I'm pig snortin so hard I may have to finally invest in some of those Depends undergarments!

Oh, and Jodi, I'm with you. I've thought from the start that Percy was close enough. But then there's more bad news on the pig front. Percy is out-of-stock till some time in mid July.....uh, yeah, that's right. I asked them. Sad. I've got to get a life outside of this pig thread.

pup

o
Clergychick made me spring a leak

Oh man, I forgot....Clergychick, you really weren't kiddin with that name were you? Okay, now off to Wal Mart to get my Depends...all because of you stinkin pig people. Hey, anybody checked at Wal Mart yet? HA!

pup

o

oh. my. god.

clergy. that was freaking awesome. wow.

i do hope you write for a living...

o

If the church I serve only knew how I spent my time today, I might have to change my name to

"the defrocked person formerly known as clergychick"

Maybe I could start renting out Hugo (the French Bulldog/towel pig wanna-be) as a stand in for towel pigs. He will clean your dishes, too -- though some people get a little funny about his methods...

o

Well - No Towel Pig for me either - But, I do have an unused banana holder with a cute little monkey on it. Hes' packed away right now, but wehn my house is done, he may be my substitute for a Towel Pig.

o

Well, if MY child damaged MY TowelPig, then MY child would suffer the consequences.

Photobucket

o

I came on here just to see what could attract 131 postings in ONE WEEK! TKO has become TTPO...

o

bayareafancy...where can I get one of those. I like it soooo much better than the pig.

KA:)

o

OK Bayareafrancy, that was really cute. I'm thinking you could rent your kid out to all of us until we find another PIG. He is adorable. He's much cuter than my banana stand....but I will tell you the banana stand is working out very nicely. Towel gets to dry and not touch the counter, and its always in it's place. You can even dry your hands without taking it off the stand, kind of like a towel ring.

But I have to admit, I'm always looking for my towel because I keep forgetting it's on the banana stand. Silly me!

o

This is ridiculous! I just spent a good hour looking for that pig... as soon as I saw it, something came over me and I HAD TO HAVE THE PIG. I don't have time to find the darn pig but yet I've been looking for an hour. The Towel Pig must have magic in it or something because it has to be the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I'm joining in the search.

o

Photobucket

o

Morgne: LOL!!!!!!! I swear you could probably sell those on this forum!

Re: the magic of TowelPig
I don't need a pig. Never have. Never will. I saw TP during the original threads several years ago. I came on here this week and saw this thread. It couldn't be, thought I. After all these years?? I had to look. I got sucked in.

TowelPig cast his porcine spell on me.

o

Francy--LOL!

My kids are too big to be TowelKid. Shoot.

I am now chasing the kitties.

I have no life.

*snort*

o

Not a follower of pigs or religion and yet, here I am...having spent many hours Googling bizarre swine terms for the elusive critter and shouting out an amen to clergychick for a fabulous requiem for our dearly departed.

...and now Percy is on back order...surely there are spies here cashing in on the downtrodden!!!

o

LOVE the requiem for a Towel Pig. He will be missed. I think we should have a moment of silence. He was so adorable. Someday, someone will find him on a sale rack in the back of a kitchen or garden store and he will be redeemed.

o

Bumping out of respect for The Towel Pig. He'll always be on page number one with me.

o

I think he/she is this one at Amazon. The trick is to search for pig with head up. Good luck !!

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon.com

o

And qmarker's offering "looks like brass" but is "less expensive than brass"! :-)

o

He looks similar, but I'm not quite feeling the Towel Pig vibe. Maybe it's the color and angle?

But if this will do for, THERE IS ONLY ONE LEFT!

HURRY!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here