Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skinlab

Pre construction kitchen plan

skinlab
9 years ago

Hello,
Building new and I'm just having a little trouble with the kitchen layout. As you can see, it's a very basic layout, but I'm concerned about the distance from range and sink to the fridge (about 14' and 11' respectively). Also I realize the placement of appliances and sink is not precise, this is just a "rough" layout. If it's not obvious, the door next to the fridge is the pantry.

We're still in the planning phase so pretty much everything could be rearranged, but we like this basic layout. Suggestions for an island if possible would also be appreciated!

{{gwi:2135659}}

This post was edited by cdau221 on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 9:53

Comments (26)

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Fun to build new. I would place an island island parallel to your sink.

Your range and dishwasher are going to be in the way of each other when open. Move the dishwasher to the right side of sink.

Your range should not be so tightly placed against the corner cabinet. I would move the pantry off that wall and give more visual space and more work space / countertop around the range.

If you opt not to do an island (which would be a shame), I'd move the pantry to the bottom left corner by the DR entrance. Round off the corner.

If you do an island, make sure the aisle is aligned with your family room doorway even if you have to move the doorway slightly to align. If you do an island, you'll need the bottom of the layout to be your walkway / aisle. From back to front, your approximate space allocation will be 24" cabs on sink wall, 42" aisle, 36" island, 56" aisle with seating.

May I ask why your living room is open to kitchen and family room is segregated? Many prefer the family room open to kitchen. If you
    Post the layout for the whole main level, you may get better feedback.

Lastly, fridge placement is awful. Needs to get within the work triangle.

Good luck!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

This kitchen is begging for an island or a peninsula. If it were mine, I'd put the fridge closest to the door to the family room (on the wall where the cooktop is now), a prep sink on the long run, then the cooktop, and I'd put the cleanup sink and dishwasher on a peninsula between the main part of the kitchen and the nook. I do not understand the fascination with sinks and windows :-) (I love windows, I just don't understand the conception that the sink needs to be under one -- it was one thing years ago when we did a lot of dish and pot-washing, but now? Not so much). I might make the area where the fridge is now a snack/coffee center.

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. I'm aware the appliances are not properly lined up, like I mentioned, that's just placeholder while we figure out what's going where. Also thanks for the island guidelines.

I WOULD like to post the full floorplan, but I've read on here that some architects don't like for their work to be posted online like that, so I'm just hesitant to put it all out there without permission.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

It's good you are coming here to get a good kitchen plan going. You are right to be concerned about the distance between the fridge and the rest of the kitchen. It's not necessary or helpful for it to be so far from where you will be cooking and cleaning up.

I'm going to share a few resources to help you get started.

The first is Marcolo's Ice, Water, Stone, Fire thread that explains the workflow in a kitchen really well: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111625296905.html%3F29

The second is Starcraft Custom Builders explanation of National Kitchen and Bath Associations 31 design rules, linked below. I haven't seen a better explanation of these anywhere. I hope you'll be able to spend some time exploring the site since it's a goldmine of helpful information.

The third is to mention Sara Susanka's "Not So Big House" book series that can be found on Amazon.com as well as at local libraries. I feel strongly that this is a must read for building a house. The information that she dispenses in her books is so helpful for planning a house for the way you really live. If you haven't read these yet, I hope you will. They are very enjoyable to read as well as educational. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: NKBA's 31 design rules, illustrated

• sena01
    9 years ago

Is it the laundry across the bath? If you can move it to the bath wall (stack W/D maybe?), you can get a longer counter where you show the range.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

I was just looking at your plan again. It will help you evaluate everything if you draw some furniture to scale and move it around on your plan. As it looks right now, if you plan to put a small table and chairs in your nook, it will be almost impossible to get past even a 3' table with chairs on either end to get to the living room. Minimum of 3' for each chair (with room to slide in and out) + a 3' table = 9 feet. That leaves you with 30" between the chair and the counter by the fridge, which is awfully tight for a walkway, especially when it puts you into the wall and not the doorway.

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tried rearranging with an island. Not sure if having it in front of the living room entry like that is a problem though?

{{gwi:2135660}}

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

I hate to say this, but if you are building new, and if this is an architect designed home...you might need to find a new architect.

Have you read the 31 design rules that I Iinked for you? It will help you out. A lot. It looks like the counters are less than standard depth along the perimeter of your kitchen. Your range is sticking out beyond the cabinets. You have about 18"-20" corner to corner from your island to the living room doorway, so no, that isn't going to be a comfortable space to navigate.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Just want to ditto what everyone here has already posted.

Most architects are bad kitchen designers. Don't let your house architect design the kitchen. I have personal experience as many here do with this so please believe us!

Seriously study marcolo's ice, water, stone, fire. It makes perfect sense if you think about how most if not all people cook.

Study the 31 design rules but don't get overwhelmed.

Post your space here. Hand draw on graph paper with a sharpie if you must. Many talented people will help you out.

Read or at least scan Sarah's books.

Personally I love L shaped kitchens with an island, so I would extend the short wall, moving the family room doorway. Follow marcolos rule, fridge on short wall, counter space turning corner to long wall, dw, sink, main prep counter space, range a little more counter. An island for additional prep space and maybe some seating. I'm sure you will get more responses from talented people here who are more skilled than I.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Your starting place should be in the FAQs - please read them as they will guide you through the process. I'll link them below in the order that I recommend they be read.

Quick question - can the walls/windows/doorways be moved? Can the Kitchen be resized at all?

Please be aware that architects are usually lousy Kitchen designers (I don't know about bathrooms - you'll have to ask on the Bathrooms Forum). They are usually fine at "looks" and "interest", but lousy at functional design - including, often, providing a Kitchen (1) sized to match the scale of the house and (2) configured to maximize your functional options.

As to posting the architect's plan, draw up, freehand, the general room layout. We really need to see how the Kitchen fits with the rest of the house and the traffic flow through the house. This is very important!

FAQs (and a couple of other links)

First the "basics (if you're new - especially the posting pictures FAQ)...

FAQ: New To Kitchens? Read Me First!
    FAQ: Navigating the Kitchens Forum basics
    FAQ: How do I post pictures?

Now, designing your kitchen...

Sweeby Test (Or, what's my vision/goal for my Kitchen?)
    FAQ: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?
    FAQ: Kitchen work zones, what are they?
    FAQ: Aisle widths, walkways, seating overhangs, work and landing space, and others
    FAQ: How do I plan for storage? Types of Storage? What to Store Where?

Others...
    FAQ: How do I post a Link?
    How do I get more responses to my posts?
    All Kitchens FAQs: Kitchens FAQ Page

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, again. Just want to be clear none of the kitchen plans are architect designed, this is me tooling around on the PC (instead of just drawing by hand). I would have thought that was obvious by the terrible design :) Here's the space. Yes, everything can be moved/resized/whatever. Now, back to reading those FAQs...

{{gwi:2135661}}

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Open season!

(Just kidding!) But it does mean we can play around with dimensions, windows, doors, etc. to get you a great Kitchen!

Now that we know we have quite a bit of leeway, your goals, desired appliances, etc. become very important. Eagerly anticipating your response! :-)

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoa boy ;).

Seating at a small-medium table is important. We never use our current dining room, though that's something that could change.
    An island isn't important, though I do really like the aesthetic so that's a "if possible" type thing. I enjoy cooking and have always wanted a proper vented hood of some sort. Otherwise standard appliances.

I generally "shoo" everyone out when I'm cooking (so never more than 1 cook). I don't need a large pantry, but cabinet space is important. Generally we don't hang out in the kitchen now, but that could certainly change. Wider openings into the adjacent family/living rooms is a goal.

Oh, there's a deck off the kitchen in the original plan along the long back wall, and we would certainly want to keep that, so a slider is a must. I suppose it could be moved to the living or family room, though I'm not crazy about that idea, I grill a lot and would not want to walk food through my living room, if possible.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Is there a garage? If so, where is the entrance?

Could you switch the LR and FR? I'd then put a door b/w the LR and DR for easier access.

OR, could you make the LR smaller since you have a very large FR?

Do you have children? Do you want a Mudroom?

This post was edited by buehl on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 16:56

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Updated layout. Garage is under the FR and comes up through the basement. I agree, LR/FR swap would be ideal, but I'm not sure how feasible (from a cost stand point) it would be to flip that around. I would say "not possible" to be safe. Yes, dotted line in the LR is where thinking of splitting it and making an office/study. Just not sure yet.

1 and 1 on the way. Mudroom is not necessary. That hall closet can (and probably will be) removed.

This post was edited by cdau221 on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 16:59

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Oh, you have given some very talented and creative kitchen designers free rein. I'm not one of them but I just want to insert myself into this discussion so I get updates. I can't wait to see what they come up with. You'll be glad you came here, cdau221.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Why not put your office in the room to the left of the entry, put the eating area in the top right corner, put the living room in the bottom right corner, and then use nearly the entire 13 x 21 ish space for your kitchen? Or...
    Kitchen on outside corner on top right, dining in middle top, family room/living room bottom right.

If you are going up and down the stairs to the garage multiple times per day, I'd find a way to widen that walkway by the door to the steps. My inlaws have a similar setup, and it's a major pinch point and traffic jam spot (as well as the spot we always seem to get stuck in when trying to leave, LOL.)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"1 and 1 on the way. Mudroom is not necessary. That hall closet can (and probably will be) removed."

A lot will probably change in the future. with kids, the future comes quickly. At least quicker than you expect it to. So for more people working in the kitchen, plan for it now. Think about them as teenagers with friends over (your 2 can go to 4 or 5 or more in minutes) making a pizza, cookies or just a snack. Their bodies will take up more space too. It can quickly become a zoo!

Most everyone with little kids also wants/needs a place for them to play within sight while mom is working in the kitchen. Even when they get older you'll want to be close to keep an eye on homework and computer use. And you'll want to be part of the activity/visiting if you have friends over hanging out in the FR.

mudroom - what area of the country do you live in? If where it's cold / snow in winter or often rainy, you will need a mudroom. Or you will more than likely regret that. The kids will eventually be going to school and going in/out with back paks, boots, helmets, soccer shoes, etc. Plan for it now.

Front entry closet - you won't need? We probably don't need one as much here in AZ but most other areas? I do have hooks for a sweater, a light jacket and heavier coat at my back door where I go out/in with the dog... it still gets rather cold at night here in the winter. We had a week of night time freezing weather over Christmas. I even dug out my garden gloves for her trip out around midnight...

I think the DR might be better to the top R. Using the now DR for a small office/play room and move the PR/laundry to that side. That would keep the neater formal rooms to the R and the informal messier (toys, toys, toys, tv, music etc) to the L. Space between the 2 areas. Noise on the L and quieter area on the R. You'll be glad to have the separation in 5 - 10 yrs.

you could have a slider or FD to the deck from FR and kitchen or just a normal door (glass?) from the kitchen to the deck.

I'd want a 'lift' from the basement/garage up to the kitchen for groceries. And even maybe for the babies in their infant seats...

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I just want to ditto desertsteph's great advice about planning something that works for now and for the future.

While you like to cook alone now, you may be raising some budding chefs who will want to work with you in the kitchen. You don't want to discourage their interest by not having adequate cooking space for 2-3 cooks to spread out.

And you might want to plan for a serving window out to the deck/patio if you entertain a lot out there. A lot easier than carrying everything down to the door. Just bring your window down to counter height inside to make it easier to pass through.

{{gwi:2135662}}

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's my latest scratchings. Took lots of your advice into consideration. Basically flipped the kitchen around, added peninsula, walled off some rooms...feels totally different. Again, cabinet, counter, appliance placement is all estimates...just getting a rough layout going still.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2135658}}

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

You've made a lot of changes. Just some random thoughts/questions based on what I'd do if it was my house, not based on any design knowledge, just on what I'd like:

* Is the door in the nook area the only door besides the front entry?

* Where is the laundry? Upstairs with the bedroom? I had a home like that and loved it. I think laundry needs to be near the bedrooms. Just ensure you have a decent sized overflow basin with plumbing drain attached in case the washer overflows.

* I would put in sliding doors, they could be either pocket doors or on barn door hinges depending on the style of the home, between the family room and dining room. It would be nice for traffic flow when entertaining. I would probably do french-style doors with glass panes, possibly frosted glass, to allow light to come through.

* In the entry, I'd make the coat closet under the stairs to open up the foyer and then eliminate the short wall in the living room so it's more open to the entry, just because it's a small room and that would make it feel bigger. I would also steal a foot or two from the office.

* I'd move the door to office as far toward the the "north" side of that short wall as possible and then end the office at the "south" side of the door, giving those extra feet to the living room. Unless, of course, the work you do in the home office requires that much space.

* Or I'd consider not even having a wall between the office and living room and, instead, building an office closet in the combined space that can be closed up with nice looking doors when you're not working at it. This would give you such a nice, big living room. If you use the office for work purposes and not just home-type stuff, I realize this might not work.

I couldn't resist playing with your kitchen. You've got such nice space to work with and I would love a wall of windows so I tried to give you that. Of course, you could do that in your current plan as well. Just remove more uppers. I also tried to do some thinking out of the norm but I wasn't very successful. I doubt anyone would consider this a good plan but maybe it will spur someone much more talented to come up with a good plan that work? I dunno. For what little it's worth, here tis:

{{gwi:2135663}}

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback.

The slider by the nook goes out to the deck. The garage is under the family room so that door in the hallway before the kitchen goes down to the basement which walks out to the garage and backyard. Yes, laundry is upstairs. It was supposed to be across from the bathroom, but we wanted more closet space so off it went. I like the french door idea, I'm definitely going to play with that!

• sena01
    9 years ago

Do you plan to have a big sink, like Stages or Galley sink? If not, I think you have very little space b/w the range and the sink for prep.

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only sink, yes. Will keep that in mind, ty.

• skinlab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any other suggestions? Would be appreciated.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

After the leap over here to Houzz, some photo links have been broken. That's the case with your plan in the OP. And some older photos lost the ability to get bigger when clicked on. That's what happened on your second plan.

I suspect you will get more responses if you start a new discussion and make sure your floorplan opens large for easier viewing. You might want to post the whole floorplan like you did but also another specific to the kitchen area.

Or you could fix the problems in this thread and between both of us bumping it, it may get some more responses.