Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishinforakitchen_gw

Layout Revisions--B'Morepanic & a lightbulb

wishinforakitchen
13 years ago

Based on a genius idea from BMore, the lightbulb went on and I think I'm getting close! Now it is time to think about the tradeoffs, and would like to hear what you think about mine. We now have 2 good plans, pretty similar, but... well, what do you think?

Plan F:

I like:

1. The general layout that this plan provides without moving the weight bearing wall(the one behind the range)and the associated costs.

I dislike:

1. Lack of landing space next to Frig

2. Is the pantry too small to be useful?

3. The wall to separate the kitchen and dining room is very short.

Plan G:

I like:

1. landing space between the frig and DW

2. The larger pantry

3. The angled counter and how it will look from the LR

I dislike:

1. the 7 foot wide aisle beteeen the rane and oven wall.

2. The cost associated with moving the weight bearing wall (which was behind the range), to the location in this plan. It moves 2feet into the LR

Most importantly, does the improved layout of Plan G justify the costs of moving the weight bearing wall?

And is the aisle in Plan G too wide?

Thanks for putting in your 2 cents--Cook1

Comments (11)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I dislike the first one for the reasons you mentioned. The second one looks better, except that aisle is HUGE! In my old kitchen, the aisle b/w sink wall and range/fridge wall was 5.5'. It seemed like a lot. I felt like I took hundreds of unnecessary steps during each meal prep/cook. (And no, that does not count as exercise.) That distance is not an easy pivot and reach. You do have much more space to the right of the range than I had so you might be able to lay more things out there and actually do some unwet prep work there that I couldn't do. That could make a big difference.

Sorry I missed your other post, but where will you prep here? I'd probably end up to the right of the sink. But the DW is there and I personally don't like prepping over DW. And in the first plan, if you prep to the right of the sink, then you have very little counterspace. Can that be moved to the other side of the sink? That will help separate the prep zone from the cleanup zone. (The two overlapping is one of my pet peeves. Can't stand it.)

Can that window be moved at all?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I would move the dw to the other side of the sink in both of these plans. Where you show the dw might be a good place for trash pullout, as it's kind of central to everything.

Will you be able to move the load bearing wall to a new location and have it bear the load, or are you going to have to leave posts or something where the old wall was?

In the first one, you can solve the landing problem for the fridge by swapping it with the oven, and also the problem of opening the door up against the wall. But then you have a possible conflict between the fridge door and the oven handle, which is something you have in either location. The pantry is shallow, but I think by making the opening as wide as possible, you could access the window wall end of it and it would be useful.

The 2nd one does have a wide aisle. But the angled bar is nice. Will you be able to make it 3 ft deep, so you can have cabinets on the kitchen side and overhang for the seating? Is it just you in the kitchen, or a busy family tromping through? In this one, your window wall cabinets run too close to the banquette. I notice you have your bench divided, so I'm afraid you're thinking you can put something taller to each end of it...You'll need that whole area to be bench I think, so that people can slide in and out.

I'm not sure the angley cabinets gain you much, and they might offer awkward storage, so I would just end regular cabinets where you get enough clearance, rather than try to eek out every last inch and crowd things with the angles. Just my opinion, though.

In either plan, did you consider placing the cooktop where the oven is in Plan F, and keeping the oven and fridge on the dining room wall? That way you're not traversing the aisle with hot pots of boiling water, and the aisle width might not be as much of an issue in Plan G.

• wishinforakitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the window can move and so can the dishwasher. Are you saying that with those 2 changes plan F is better than Plan G?

Rhome- I'm not sure about whether there will be a column to help with the weight bearing or if the plan is to do something else. The GC said Plan F would be much cheaper than making the structural changes necessary for moving the weight bearing wall. That is the issue I stuggle with the most, whether that expanse can be justified because Plan G is a much better functioning kitchen (which I think it is except for the wide aisle).

How about if I add a prep sink in Plan G? I don't think there is enough room in Plan F for one.

And the angled penninsula will be 3ft with a higher counter to accomdate some seats.

We started with your last idea, of range where the oven is labeled on the sink wall for Plan F, but I loved the idea of a pantry, and to make that idea work, I didn't think there was enough space around the sink and last the plan was too open from the LR.

If I add a prep sink on the range wall, do you still think the 6ft 9"" aisle is a deal killer? Anyone else want to weigh in on that? Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan before revision

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I really like Bmore's plan on the 'before revision' which is similar to your Plan G, but you don't have to move the load bearing wall. The banquette is a little smaller, but since you have a dining area, would that matter?

It's a cute plan...and seems like a nice compromise between your two choices above :)

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Plan G looks like there could be traffic issues on the left side of it. Your counter to the left of the sink has gone from 3'6" in plan F to 4'6" in plan g and then in both you have the seating area but then in Plan G you have the angled peninsula that could become a pinch point in the traffic zone between kitchen/eating area and living room. And then it opens up into the big almost 7' of aisle.

I like the plan before revision and it seems similar to Plan F in terms of spatial relationships. I think there is enough space to the left of the stove (looking away,not toward, the stove) for a prep sink with a pull out trash beside it. What is toward the right of the stove? Could the stove be moved down towards the door a little it you are concerned about lack of counter on the other side of the stove? I would switch the ovens and fridge which solves your landing space issue and you currently have 3'6" to the right of the sink so if you were to make that just 3' you could widen your pantry to 2'. Oh and put the DW on the other side of the sink.
    Feel free to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I have to say that with Bmore's plan you get about everything Plan G offers you, but without the wide aisle and without the extra expense...and it can't hurt to leave your dining room larger? You said it...She's a genius. :-)

I wouldn't do a higher bar, especially on the angled counter. With the angle jutting into the kitchen and in the middle between kitchen and banquette, I think a higher bar would make the space seem smaller. It would be dividing the kitchen up instead of just making a separation between the kitchen and living room. I could see a raised bar on the Bmore plan, to separate the kitchen from the more formal living room, but would still consider very carefully about the pluses and minuses.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

In the top version, instead of making the Pantry a single closet, why not continue walking and put the doors on either side making two units that face one another across an area of open floor? You could include a plunk space between uppers and lowers on the refrig side if you needed it.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

I vote for bmore's plan, too (nicely done, bmore!). I haven't been following along from the beginning but that plan sure seems to do the job, solve conflicts and be the cheapest solution to boot. Ya gotta love that!

• wishinforakitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just figured out the problem. BMore created the great plan based on a plan that moves the kitchen back into the LR by 12"", so it will still incur the costs of moving the weight bearing wall.

Given that is it still really than Plan G?

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the history

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I don't know why Bmore's plan wouldn't work with that section of wall moved forward? She has a 5 1/2' aisle.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

What I'm seeing is that bmore's plan has measurements similar to the one you said would not require moving the load bearing wall. Looks like it ought to work and be a simpler, less expensive plan to work with. I much prefer it to either of your plans above -- even the more expensive wall-moving one.