Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishinforakitchen_gw

layout critique please

wishinforakitchen
13 years ago

Hello, I'm back to working on my kitchen--it seems like it's a work in progress for years. Since I've been at it so long, a few details, we are now a household of 3 (except when DS comes home from college) and DS2 will be leaving next year... I've been trying to open my kitchen to the living room so that it doesn't feel so closed--a tough job considering it is a galley kitchen in a 1950 ranch. In the plan the word Frig is the street side of the house.

Please take a look at this plan and tell me what you think the problems are... I would like to know if it is functional; I am the main cook but look forward to the time when my DH can cook with me.

Some of you remember earlier plans, submitted by my avatar, Cook 1. I couldn't log on under that name. Hope I'm not doing something wrong by using this new name.

Plan A JPG

Comments (12)

• Jm_seattle
    13 years ago

I like the sink centered on the window (too many people forget that little things like that can add so much value to your day-to-day life!).

I think 4'6" is a lot of space to be walking very often. If you plan to use your peninsula for everyday prep, you'll find that extra step or two makes things harder. I might try to shift the peninsula closer to the sink (so it's a healthier 40" or so away) and morph it into an island. This might mean some adjustments to the pantry wall that's between the peninsula (and possibly the pantry itself).

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like your sink under the window, too...and the banquette!

Have you considered moving your fridge down to the load bearing(?) wall and making the pantry a little wider?

Since you have the banquette seating, what about putting stools, where the raised wine cabinet is now...and creating a space for people to visit with you, while you cook in the kitchen? A prep sink would be nice, too, so close to the fridge :)

{{gwi:1567260}}

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I just want to comment that in arrangements like you've drawn, 95% of prep will happen between the ref and cooktop. Because of your specific arrangement, I wonder if you'd like it more reversed. So this ain't a plan, just a concept sketch.

{{gwi:1567261}}

• wishinforakitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

B'More-- Wow. love the concept, now for filing in the details. I wonder if I can also use the penninsula as a baking area too???

I also like the idea of a bech sandwiched b/t bookshelves (was that the intent?)

Lavender lass- do you mean to put the frig on the wall opposite the 4"" hallway? I didn't think it would fit.

I originally had bar stools-- can't remember why/when they came out of the plan. Easy enough to put back in.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I swear to god I getting really old! That would be between the sink and the cooktop.

I was thinking a two seater banquette between shelving units - yields seating for 4 - maybe one or two more inna pinch. Its the kind of place I would like to sit and plan.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Love the idea of a step in pantry like bmore drew. With this new plan I'm not seeing the stools working that well. I'd had a similar situation and felt like they'd be sitting out in the pathway of the living room.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Bmore- Love the plan! That's so inviting :)

• wishinforakitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

B'More--Do you think there is enough space for 2 people to work near the penninsula at the same time, 1 at the cooktop and the other baking?
    The bench/shelves give me my cozy spot. Perfect. And I love the pantry. Do you remember one of my first drawings trying to fit in a walk in pantry? Most likely it was one of your good ideas. I'll redraw in more detail and be back. thanks.

• mom2tykel
    13 years ago

Ok, my first response to a layout so be easy on me...I like bmorepanic's edits but also agree with the comment that 4'6" may be a tad wide between the busy parts of the kitchen. Could you swing the peninsula out as an "L" shape towards the center and put the prep sink at the end. You can then move to the right as you are at the stove and chop veggies to stir-fry, etc and drain a pot of pasta, as well. Again, my space relations may be a bit off but just a thought. :-) ~M2TK

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

Keep the 54" between counters. When you have more than one person doing things at the same time you will appreciate the extra space. The 14" difference is one step but I would rather take the extra step than have things be to close. I like the extra room around me.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I agree with Johnny. With more than one person working in the kitchen, I would want the space. Nothing worse than a kitchen that feels too cramped.

My galley kitchen (current home) is about 6' and that's a little too wide, but I wouldn't want to be smaller than 4'6".

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

To follow up on my previous comment about 4'6" being better than something narrower, imagine two people doing something such as one standing at the counter on one side and the other bending over on the other side getting something from a bottom cupboard or drawer. The one standing has to be taking up at least 18 inches of space and I measured myself tonight in the kitchen and I take up at least a minimum of 30" plus, when getting something out of a bottom drawer. That's 48" right there between both people. Anything narrower and you have the work area blocked and you are getting in each other's way.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County