Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

We ordered the Electrolux induction slide-in range today

jsweenc
14 years ago

FYI -- Apparently they are available for order anywhere that will be selling them (call to find out), and Electrolux will give a 10% rebate for ordering by Feb. 21. We ordered from Garner TV and Appliance in Garner, NC (worked with Chip) for anyone nearby. (Actually, he said they work with people all over the state, including mountains and coast.) It was $3199 plus all the extra costs (I can't remember, but around $150 including five-year extended warranty), minus the $319 rebate that will come once we send in the paperwork (once we have the unit to get the serial number).

Comments (60)

• reinventyrself
    14 years ago

Stir Fryi,

Can you please tell me about your Kenmore? We are thinking of purchasing a Kenmore gas range with convection oven but I can't seem to find many reviews on the oven or customer service with Sears? We are looking at the Kenmore Elite #77543? I have found some negative reports but wonder if they are isolated incidents there has to be someone happy with their recent products for them to still be in business. I know they used to be very reliable. I have some Kenmore appliances in my home and have used Sears cusomer service in the distant past, I found them to be fairly good but that was years ago, I still have some old kenmores.

thanks for any info you can share!

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Well you can add my name to the list of people waiting on this range. jsweenc, pudgybaby, and myself. I checked with The Induction Website and they had an old price up there. They have since updated thier price to $3,199 which appears to be the dealer's price. This minus 10% appears to be the best deal for awhile. I ordered from AJ though sicne they seemed to be a larger company. So now we wait and see and hope we are not the victims of early problems with a 'new' appliance. The only alternative to me is the Kenmore and we like the styling and features of the Electrolux better even though it is a little more money.

I didn't ask when this will ship, I have plenty of time before I'm ready to install it anyway and since it will ship in Mar that gives me at least one more paycheck to save!

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

The hob layout on this one seems to be more 'traditional'. That is, they are one behind the other, 8" and 7" on the left, 10" and 6" on the right.

It has the gliding racks which neither the Kenmore nor GE have.

It requires 50amps, which is the same as my old GE coil top.

Comparing the build quality of the two, I like the Electrolux over the Kenmore. Personal preference, really.

And the MSRP is up to US$3499.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

The Kenmore's MSRP is also $3,499 but it is always discounted. It is just a matter of how much. Right now it is $2,799 but can be had cheaper than that on the 21st. Once you factor in sales tax it is more than I paid for the Electrolux (no tax or delivery and 10% rebate). The ball bearing racks are fantastic, especially since this is a floor standing range. Easier on my back. I priced these sliding racks separately, and even if you can find ones that will fit your exact oven, they are anywhere from $60 to $250 each. The Kenmore racks are traditional racks and don't slide out very far. At this price range I'd expect Kenmore to offer better racks. We also like the styling of the Electrolux better. So when I weighed all the pros and cons it was easy for me to pick the Electrolux. Plus we have the dishwasher so at least the two will match.

The power ratings on the burners are the same.

Maybe the competition from the Electrolux will bring down the price of the Kenmore. Sears is not yet offering the E'Lux.

Now I have a few weeks to modify the base cabinets to make room for a slide in range.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

reinventyrself -- I can't help you with a gas range -- I bought the Kenmore induction slide-in.

weedmeister -- I love the layout of the hobs on the Kenmore. I can use my 10" and 12" skillets at the same time in the front (bacon in the 12" and eggs in the 10"!).

I agree the racks could slide out much further than they do

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TXkitchen, thanks for the cookware link. I will bookmark it and look at it when I have fewer kitchen decisions to make in a few weeks. Congratulations on making the decision (pudgybaby too)!

We ordered from the smaller store because of the longevity of the sales reps. We were told that if we have a problem with any of our appliances, they will bring us a loaner if necessary, and if we have the same problem more than two times they will simply replace it.

As far as new appliance troubles, DH had the same concerns and expressed them to Chip (sales guy). He felt confident that since induction technology has actually been in use for 90 years (25 or so for cooking) and ranges have also been around a long time and Electrolux ranges have been around for a long time, it's not really new. It's the pairing of known entities that is new, but he didn't think that would cause any new difficulties. That plus their method of customer service reassured my very thorough, analytical second- and third-guessing DH on the spot.

stirfryi, I think reinventyrslf is asking about your experience with the oven and customer service, if you have any opinions about that. I would assume that the oven would be the same regardless of cooking surface. (Maybe not?) Glad you are enjoying your Kenmore induction though.

Weedmeister, the MSRP has been at $3499 for a while, but for now anyway it's $3199 plus the 10% rebate if you order by this Sunday.

We did like the sturdiness of the E'lux as well as the gliding racks. No more bouncing the casseroles out of the oven. Sounds like the Kenmore hob arrangement is a good one.

Giving the final go-ahead on cabinets today, looking for install within two weeks, and delivery of range in 2 1/2. I'll update when it comes in!

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Arrrrgh! Sorry for the double post. The first time I tried I got an error message. Seems to be happening more with the recent tech problems here.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

jsweenc, I checked the installation instructions on the 30" slide in radiant cooktop which I assume would be the same for the induction. It appears to come with an anti-tip device. This one hooks the oven in the back, the other one I've seen traps the foot of the oven in the back. thhsi range has wheels in the back ( yeah! that will help with the 250 pounds!) so the foot trapper won't work.

These instructions may be helpful to your cabinet contractor

I'm also hoping this range will not be much of a leap from their other products. I read several posts from other e'lux owners who seemed to get good support so I hope I will get the same if I need it. I think to be save I'm going to get the e'lux extended warranty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation Instructions

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

texaskitchen, thanks for the info - happy about the wheels! We are confident that we will get good support because our salesman is confident. If there are inherent problems d/t being a new product, I hope they will be eager to work through them. We did get the extended warranty.

• nonnyx2
    14 years ago

Congratulations to all on your new induction/convection double oven ranges!

We ordered our Electrolux slide in range from AJ Madison on Feb.19 with no actual date of delivery scheduled as yet.

I have been checking out various cookware compatible with induction cooking and have ordered the
    Fissler Crispy Steelux Premium Frying Pan from the Chef's website.

While it is my intent to avoid pans made in China, I almost made that very mistake.
    I found it is not always clear where the cookware has been made.
    Case in point, I almost bought a stockpot from TJMaxx that I thought was made in Italy.
    Thankfully, my DH noticed that while 'Designed in Italy' was boldy stamped in the middle of the pan
    there was a 'made in China' in smaller print off to the side of the center logo.

I will probably order different cookware as suits are cooking needs from several different manufacturers.

Thanks for the info, texaskitchentoo, I will check out your recommendation.

• dan1888
    14 years ago

Here's a good source for these steel pans. The fry pans are also on this sight. These become nonstick with seasoning and several weeks use. These are heavy-duty. The large crepe is a little lighter than the fry but the lower sides are still usable for many things. Nonstick without ptfe.

Here is a link that might be useful: De Buyer at Broadway Peddler

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Last night I checked out the Circulon Infinite at Macy's. I had intended to go with clad SS but these pans/pots caught my eye. They have a very flat SS base on a thick AL bottom that runs up the sides. So it is like an anaodized Al set that can cook on induction. The handles we the most comfortable I've seen. The lids fit very well but were SS, I was looking for glass. These of course are covered in Circulon's non-stick coating inside and outside and are dishwasher safe if you want to wash them that way. There is also a 12" griddle which is hard to find for induction. The set was pricey and included pieces my wife and I won't use. So I went on-line and figured out the cheapest and most effective set was an a-la-cart from Circulon.com. They have some really good deals on a 3qt pot and 3qt saute pan both covered for 80 bucks. Yes I'm aware of the PTFE controversy, but these might be our next pans.

The base of these pans seemed more magentic than the all-clad type (I take a magent with me) and they where very very flat, some of the clad pans don't seem so flat.

Now unfortunately we may be changing our minds on the slide-in range. This was going to require several cabinet changes and I'm having second thoughts. I will probably cancel the range and go with a cooktop and wall oven (or current config) and give up the space we were going to gain by removing the wall oven. Shame since I got 10% off on this range. I'll have to wait for another sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Circulon Infinite

• dan1888
    14 years ago

I use the Circulon Infinite for small and large fry pans. and All-Clad for a large covered saute pan. All non-stick. All are excellent pans. De Buyer will be the next pans I buy. If they work as reviewed I hope they will become my primaries. The Google trans of the De Buyer site is very usable. They have been making kitchen equipment since 1830. Fine Cookware lists many of their products, but Kathy there says anything on the De Buyer site is available with lead time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Cookware- De Buyer

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I, on the other hand, know nothing about the PTFE controversy. I assume it has to do with the non-stick surface? I am thinking we will avoid non-stick, but I love my cast iron (though they are heavy and I will want to have a couple of lighter weight ones).

Thanks to all for all the great info on cookware. We now have a head start when we go to make our selection.

texaskitchen, I'm sorry to hear the E'lux range won't be working out for you. That's a disappointment, but at least you have a huge selection of cooktops so you can get exactly what you want.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Jsweenc,

Today I cancelled the slide-in order with AJ. I was excited about this range but it went along with about $1,500 - $2,000 of new cabinets and walls that needed to be moved and that impacted the flooring and paint and I felt it wasn't worth it. We're not doing a full kitchen mod, this whole thing started with the desire to replace the countertops. So I looked at cooktops... E'Lux is making a new induction cooktop without the 'bar' but it also is without the 10" burner the range has (it has two 8"s). The new Icon has the 10". I'm still going to be interested in seeing the range though.

Yes the PTFE is the teflon falking thing. Some believe it is harmful so they won't touch it. Many of these folks are going with Stainless... then... there is the controversy about the nickle content in stainless (the "10" in the "18/10" nomenclature) and whether that is harmful. Thankfully there are choices for everyone out there.

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I understand about the slippery slope of needing to do one thing and having it snowball into a much bigger project. I've had to back off of so many ideas for this kitchen redo because I keep getting caught up in other people's kitchens and losing sight of my own goals. (One being that we are not aiming for a showplace and I don't need all the things other people have.)

It seems that harm can be found in just about everything out there. I don't mean to stick my head in the sand about such things, but just the fact that something is a controversy... like radon in granite, Microban in quartz, immunizing, acupuncture, silver fillings... it's never-ending and I can't keep that many facts in my head or do that much research or be that paranoid. Besides, that which does not kill you will make you stronger... or so it has been said. : )

I will say that our teflon pots and pans overall have not been that great. I finally convinced DH to throw out the ones that were flaking, but before that they were only used by him to cook his own eggs for breakfast. He didn't seem to mind or notice it. I did not use them for family or children's meals thinking it not sensible to be adding flakes to their food.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I keep second (and third and fourth) guessing the induction range too, partly because of the need for new wiring but also due to the additional expense of replacing all my Calphalon and other incompatible cookware. These are going to add $2000+ to the cost of converting to induction. This is not as simple as just buying a new stove.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

COngratulations! I hope it's everything you dream it will be and it performs wonderfully for you. Seems like it should be a good choice.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Warmfridge,

A very nice set of induction cookware (the Circulon Infinite) was going to cost me $200. That was for a 8" fry, 2qt pot w/strainer top, 3qt pot w/lid, 3qt sautee pan w/lid, and 12" round griddle. There are just the two of us so this is all we need. Our Calphalon is 6 years old now and some pieces need to be replaced anyway. BTW the coating has held up pretty well but just recently my wife has taken to using metal on the cookware (not sure why, maybe she wants new pans ;-) ) and it has made some scratches in the finish.

If you have to run a new 50amp 240v line(s) from your breaker box that might add some cost for sure, not sure it is going to be over $500 though. Depending on your house, can't imagine more than a few hours of labor + parts.

But yes it is a slippery slope. Cancelling the slide-in means no more cabinet changes, but I just found a great Kobe hood to replace the builders special... and just under a grand. Such a deal. Oh and now that we don't need to limit ourselves to an OTR MW, a speed oven is sounding very tempting.

And so it continues...

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Texas, I hope you like your Circulon. I've tried it in the past and was not happy with it, and I can't get by with just 5 pieces anyway.

I priced stockpots yesterday. The only heavy, induction-compatible ones I could find were All-Clad or Viking, which were over $300 each. Yikes!

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks rhome, we're looking forward to trying it!

warmfridge, yikes indeed! What did you not like about the Circulon? What is it about heavy ones that you prefer?

TK, it sounds like no matter which direction you go in, you will still have myriad decisions and potential changes. The only way to avoid it is to do nothing!

• dan1888
    14 years ago

Here's a post in the cookware forum on induction stockpots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction stockpots

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Today on Amazon 10 piece Circulon Infinite is reduce $100! Now $184. This happens on some Fridays. If you are intested in this set that is the best price you will find, but will only be good for a few more hours.

Even though it is a nice set, it still doesn't have some of the prices I need and has one I don't. But I'd be happy to sell the stock pot to some and less than $300 ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Circulon Infinite

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Okay, well I bought the last one in stock. It looks like the price might stick until sometime tonight according to the price history on camelcamel.

So this set is $185 and include an 8qt covered stock pot. It looks like this stock pot is not available separately and it is too much for my wife and I. A 4 qt stock pot sells open market for over $100. So eBay here it comes. The only other piece I need is the $40 griddle.

Oh and a tea kettle.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Re: Circulon...I don't remember the name of the line I owned (a few years back) but absolutely everything stuck to it. I threw it out.

Re: the stockpot thread...I saw the Tramontina at Walmart but it looked/felt pretty flimsy...I have some Tramontina saucepans that I bought from TJ Maxx which are very nice but I've yet to find a stockpot. LeCreuset's stockpots will not hold a magnet...tried it yesterday in a kitchen store...don't see how they can possibly work with induction.

Also looked at Chantal...induction-compatible but I don't really want enameled.

IMHO, a good heavy stockpot is essential to make things like tomato-based sauces. Spending hours making a sauce then throwing it out because it scorched on the bottom is not productive. My current stockpots are Cuisinart SS, which are good quality, heavy pots but won't work with induction.

Decisions, decisions.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I've been looking at the Berndes Coquere nonstick line for saucepans and skillets. They've received good reviews. Amazon has a set for much less than you can buy them individually.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Warmfridge,

There are different versions of Tramontina. The cheaper SS without the cladding, and the tri-clad. You need to make sure you look at the tri-clad. Not sure if they sell it open stock in stores. Oddly Sears sells a nice tri-clad set under thier Kenmore brand. It was pretty nice and the handles were very confortable. Not sure if they have an 8qt stock pot. The thing I liked about the Tramontina tri-clad was the level of polish. The highest polished set I've seen. Looks like it would clean up well.

But... go to Macy's and check out the Circulon Infinite. If you like the 8qt stock pot I know where you can get one at a good price ;-) ... in a week or so.

Unfortunatley we're not the type that is going to cook homemade sauces. And if we did a large pot would be too much for the two of us. I have an 8qt Calphalon stock pot that has been sitting in my kitchen for years and has never been used. I promised it to a co-worker.

I probably don't belong on this forum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tramontina Tri-Clad 8qt stock pot

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

I found the Circulon pans to be a bit noisy.

I bought an Emeril 8qt pot at BB&B and it sure wasn't $300!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

TK, that Tramontina stockpot is the Walmart line...not too substantial. There aren't any Macy's around here, and I'm really not interested in trying Circulon again, but thanks for the suggestions. I just need to make a list of all the new cookware I need and budget for it. Sigh.

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

warmfridge and others, if you haven't seen it yet, there is a new thread in Kitchens about Tramontina that you may want to chime in on. I'd better get busy and start figuring out at least a couple of pieces to buy so I'll have something to cook in when my range arrives. (I think I still have a couple of weeks.)

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Jsweenc, I am so looking forward to your review of your new range. Please keep us posted!

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will do, warmfridge!

• patrick_808
    14 years ago

I bought a Magneflux single burner Induction cook-top a while back to see how I liked induction cooking. While the controls are cumbersome on the Magneflux, I loved the way it worked. Now I can's wait to get the Electrolux Induction Slide-In Range, that I ordered from AJ. My electrician told me that I should have no problem using it on a 40 breaker. He said that this would only be an issue, if I ran every feature, all burners, both ovens, broiler, and convection at the same time. He said that if I did that the 40 amp breaker would just trip. He warned that the worst thing a person could do would be to replace the 40 with a 50 amp breaker, and Not change out the wiring from the breaker to the range with the correct size wire. That would present a fire hazard.

• dan1888
    14 years ago

The eurodib 18 quart stainless stockpot is made by commercial induction cooktop manufacturer Dipo(Korean). $48.59

Here is a link that might be useful: $48.59 18qt Stockpot

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Patrick,
    I also decided to try out induction by buying a portable unit first. I bought a Viking, which I liked because of the knob control and it was very quiet, but on its second use, it stopped working completely and I had to return it.

I replaced it with a Max Burton, which has push-button controls, although only a few buttons so it's still pretty simple to use, but it's much noisier than the Viking...way more fan noise and more pot noise. It's been interesting to learn how responsive it is, and in some ways it's like learning to cook all over again.

• patrick_808
    14 years ago

Warmfridge,

There are two main reasons why I chose the Magneflux. It is 1800 watts, the highest you can get for a 110 volt connection. It also has 9 heat settings. Most of the portables that I have seen seem to only have 5 or 6. The Magneflux shows a temperature for each setting. When using it, I frequently find myself wishing there was a 225 degree setting between 200 and 250. The same goes for wishing it had 275 between the 250 and 300 settings. Even with the 9 setting I found myself wanting more. I realized that there would be compromises with a portable like the Magneflux, and overall have been very pleased with it. I know that the Electrolux Range will more than enough settings. I have heard good things about the Viking portable. But, I have also heard about reliability problems like you had with it. Personally, I am a touch control type of person. Yet, I am a little apprehensive about Wave Touch Controls on the Electrolux, and wonder if Wave Touch may be a little too gimmicky. I wonder what others may have experienced with Electolux appliances that feature Wave Touch?

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Hi Patrick,
    The MaX Burton is also an 1800-watt unit, 10 power levels, temperature settings 140-450 degrees. I'm also finding that it would be helpful to have intermediate settings...that's one reason I tried the Viking with the dial first. I don't know how many settings the Electrolux has...I guess we'll have to wait for Jsweenc's report.

• julieofminn
    14 years ago

Anyone ready to post about their new induction range yet?

Or, change their mind?

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julie and others,

I finally got a call back from the sales rep today, after asking several people several times. He said my range is supposed to be in Apr. 1 (hope it's not a joke).

He said I'd be one of the first in the country to have one. : / Is that something to be proud of? Or scared of? I'm trusting it will be a good thing and I will post when we have it installed.

• gwentm
    14 years ago

Has anyone received their Electrolux slide in induction range yet? Any preliminary reviews?

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Jsweenc, Do you have it yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, not yet. We did talk to the sales rep yesterday. Electrolux was closed Friday and he's off Monday, but he will call and find out and get back to us before his tee time (10:52 am est). He said he thought it must be on its way. I don't understand how it could be such a mystery and so difficult to find out, so I'm wondering if that's just their way of buying time, keeping our hopes up while the delivery date keeps getting pushed back.

We should be getting our vent installed next week as well. That's another story. No one thought to check the placement of the range and hood with the location of the vent, and there is a ceiling joist smack in the center of where the vent is supposed to be. I don't know how that was missed, but they'll figure it out.

I will let you know the moment I hear something or (better still) it shows up on my doorstep unannounced!

Blessings to you all on this Easter day!

• cancoi
    14 years ago

*bump* Inquiring minds want to know... We're considering an induction range for our new remodel and the Electrolux is high on our list. Love to hear more reviews...

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, we finally got the range! It was supposed to be in originally on Mar 15, then we asked and asked and finally got Apr 1 (which I knew had to be a joke, which it was), and finally learned it was on its way the following week. We asked for delivery last Friday but when the guy came out, he recommended waiting until the counters were in.

Counters went in this past Monday morning, range came that afternoon. Electricians were out all day Tuesday and I had assumed that they had long since rewired for the 50 amp circuit, but they informed me that they had not, so they just got to that yesterday.

So unfortunately, I don't have any experience to report yet, but there is a thread from patrick giving a review. I think he was one of the first to get his, and another recent one about installation. I'll try to come back in a week or so and update. : )

Electrolux induction range review

Electrolux range installation question

• Machgun
    11 years ago

How is the Eltrolux Induction range working? Any Problems with the control panel and what kind of warranty were you able to get?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

No problems with my E'lux induction range; ordered in June and installed in September of 2010, so about 22 months now. No service problems after the install. Did not get an extended warranty.

Control panel has been fine. I think once or twice, while cleaning, it got "stuck"; if that happens, just shut off the circuit breaker for a while and when power returns its fine; this hasn't happened in ages. Water spilled on the glass surface does not get past the rubber gasket surround, so far as I can seen.

I believe there were changes in the electronics/programming for the control panel sometime between March and June 2010 (when mine was built). They may have corrected some issues in early models then (along with changing how the timer displays >60 min. as hrs:min). [The built date is on the inside left wall, hidden by the closed main oven door.]

Very happy with induction, as are most here. I rely on my Miele speed oven for most baking, because its smaller and heats up very quickly, but when I've used the larger E'lux oven its been fine. I've only used the smaller E'lux oven for warming plates and things like that. Some who expected to use the lower oven as a "real" second oven did complain about various perceived limitations (very little height in there, floor gets too hot, etc.).

• apalmieri
    11 years ago

As you may see from my User Name, I am a fan of Electrolux and own an IQ washer and dryer and an induction slide in range. My experience could not be better. My range cooks like a dream and the washer/dryer allows me to keep my home free of cat odors. This week I bought a new home. The appliances are all 20 years old. Reading this, however, makes me afraid to go with the Electrolux wall oven/microwave combo. I will ask for recommendations in another thread. I plan to use the self-clean function and can not accept the excuse that this is a known problem. I am very disappointed in Electrolux. If it is a known problem, they should be responsible for making good on it.

• slater333
    11 years ago

hello all!

found this post and was wondering that the model you purchased was the: Electrolux Icon E30GF74HPS ?

Can you offer an opinions on how it's been performing for you thus far? I'm looking at this model, a 30" jenn air pro range, and the ge cafe double oven range and would love to hear your experiences! thanks again in advance

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

Slater,

The model you list above is a gas range (see link below); this thread is about an induction range. They're different.

Here is a link that might be useful: E30GF74HPS at AJ Madison

• mountaineergirl
    11 years ago

I just ran across this post looking for threads on dishwashers and thought I'd brag on my E-lux induction range. Mine is a free-standing model. I love love it. I am re-doing my kitchen due to a major water leak, and I'm getting a new one just like it. Mine is less than a year old, but with water in and around it, I don't expect it to last long so I'm getting another.

I have the stainless cookware by Emeril, which is made by All-clad but for like half the price. Bought a Bed Bath and Beyond for less than $300. I really like it also. I have some odds and ends I picked up at TJMax like a couple non-stick skillets.