Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstwife9

All-Clad alternative

firstwife
14 years ago

I havenÂt posted on this forum in quite some time, but felt a strong desire to share information about my recent discovery of Tramontina tri-ply cookware. I would have added to an existing thread, but those I found were all at least two years old. I also posted in the cookware forum, but wanted to post here as well because it is a more active forum. This is worthwhile information.

I am a consumer who seeks quality products for the best possible value and have recently found myself in need of several new pots and pans. I cook on an induction cooktop and I love the few pieces of All-Clad stainless cookware I have purchased over the years. I do, however, feel their cost is inflated, and I resent "paying for a name". So, while snowed-in during one of our recent snowstorms (I am in eastern PA), I spent my time surfing the web in search of an affordable All-Clad alternative, and I found it; Tramontina triplyclad! This cookware is virtually identical to All-Clad (but with more comfortable handles) at a fraction of the cost! For instance, an All-Clad 12 qt. stock pot sells for about $370, the nearly identical FULLY-CLAD 12 qt. Tramontina stockpot retails for only $79!!!!!!

CookÂs Illustrated gave this cookware a "best buy" rating in their May/June Â09 issue and there are many very favorable reviews posted independently online by enthusiastic consumers. I donÂt understand how I could not have heard/read about this cookware. ThatÂs why I wanted to share this information. If you are planning to purchase some very high quality fully clad stainless cookware, please, before you take out a second mortgage to pay for the All-Clad, google Tramontina tri-ply, read the reviews, look at the pricing, and try a piece. It is excellent cookware of the highest quality.

Wal-Mart.com, unfortunately, is the best place to buy this cookware as they stock the full line and have the best prices. All pieces are available separately as open stock and there are also 8 and 10 piece sets.

Two last things, then I will stop gushing about this stuff. Tramontina makes several different lines of cookware. Some are stainless steel with clad bottoms only. Be sure you are researching the Tramontina Tri Ply Clad. Induction users will encounter discrepancies in various posts about whether or not the Tramontina tri-ply is induction-capable. I called Tramontina USA before I ordered as this was a concern for me. The helpful representative I spoke to assured me that all of their tri-ply is now induction-capable and that if I did get a piece that was not magnetic, they would exchange it promptly. Sure enough, out of all the pieces I purchased (the entire line!), there was one saucepan that was not magnetic. Tramontina emailed me a pre-paid FedEx label to return the pot for an immediate exchange.

Great product, excellent customer service, and a lifetime warranty!

Comments (10)

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

Does this cookware make any "noise" on your induction? I am planning on induction and will need to get a few pieces to replace those that aren't magnetic. I always love good quality at a fair price!

• firstwife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What I notice regarding that vibrating induction noise heard sometimes is that it's never any specific pot, but seems to have more to do with a specific setting with a specific pot and/or combinations of multiple pots and pans on multiple settings simultaneously. The Tramontina cookware doesn't make any more or less noise than any other pots or pans I use.

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Have you found induction compatible non-stick frypans in Tramontina? The local Wal-Mart only carries the lightweight frypans, none that are induction compatible. I need an 8" frypan for eggs!

• firstwife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

beachlily,

The fully clad Tramontina cookware I posted about is not available with a non-stick coating. Many companies make clad-bottomed non-stick pans that will be induction capable. Tramontina probably does. Look at your local Marshalls/Homegoods/TJMAx, or online.

FYI, the pots and pans I replaced were non-stick. Eggs cook just fine in fully clad stainless!

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

I really like the Farberware Millenium nonstick/stainless frypan. It works great on our induction & is relatively inexpensive. We have the 8" and 12" sizes.

For a stainless alternative to All-Clad, I like Henckels Classic Clad. We have 4 saucepans & a large saute pan. I find the long handles to be much more comfortable than All-Clad.

We do have some All-Clad: Dutch ovens in the 4 qt. and 8 qt. sizes, and a 6" skillet.

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

You can order a complete set of the Tramontina from WalMart.com and have it shipped to store for nothing if they don't have the induction compatible stuff at your particular store.

I have All-Clad and I need a stock pot, but I'm not a brand snob, so I'm planning to investigate Tramontina for that particular piece. I have a few Emerilware pieces and I like them just fine.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Thanks for this tip.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

I have seen the Tramontina at my local Wal-Mart and it is nice stuff. I took a magnet with me and all the pieces on display were magnetic. It is more higly polished than any other tri-clad I've seen, and the handles are more comfortable than All Clad. I've compared it to All-Clad and Emerilware Pro-Clad and I prefer it over either. The Emerilware's lids are cheaply made. They are glass with a SS rim. The thin stainless they use results in easily bent and dented rims. Two of the lids on display were bent/dented.

Another alternative is Kenmore Elite Tri-Ply. Another fully clad cook set. The handles are more comfortable than the Tramontina, not as nicely polished but very similar in finish to the All-clad. The price is slightly higher than the Tramontina but much less than All-clad.

One thing about all these sets, the bases are the same thickness as the sides. The bottoms were fairly flat but not as flat and heavy as other sets made for glass/induction cooktops. And while all of these were magentic, they weren't as strongly magentic as those with the heavy flat bases. I don't know if that makes a difference in the performance of the cookware or not. I've heard a few people say thier thinner pans warped.

I never knew Sears made cookware. Obviously someoen makes it for them but I don't know who.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Tri-Ply

• firstwife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Kenmore tri-ply looks nice, but seems to be available only as a set. The Tramontina is all available as open stock.

There are 13 various pots and pans (most come with lids). The entire line, including (amazingly) a 12 qt. stockpot and an 8 qt stockpot with pasta insert, can be purchased for $575!

• kompy
    14 years ago

Thanks! I will definitely check this out...we just bought a medium sized All-clad sauce pan for $100. It was on sale, other stores were asking $160 for it.