Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

My first Rianna method attempt

nicethyme
16 years ago

hey guys, this is what I worked on all day. Stem's not done but this is close to what it will look like.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (79)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jane, that finish is nice isn't it? I was so pleased. I got that using my square mini trowel/float. I'm learning how to work the crete so that the cream rises and smooths out as you float it. tricky but I'm learning.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Great looking, I'm impressed!!

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

GEESH - girlie, that's smooth. You don't even NEED the skin coat afterwards. You could teach Riana a thing or two. She puts on a real thin coat of grout for the skin coat, but yours looks so finished already. You, little girl, are a PRO. I'm so anxious to see this mosaiced, I can't stand it.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, this looks GREAT! I LOVE your mushroom; I can't wait to try one.

• lilpeaches
    16 years ago

NT- That mushroom is GREAT!! Cant wait to see it finished! BTW-my boyfriend ( being a concrete guy)would SO fall in love with you for saying things like "getting the cream to the top" and "using a float" LOL! Great job on the finish!!

• hrsg
    16 years ago

I admire you ladies for doing this kind of work. Totally from scratch mosaics are the art at its most expressive. IMHO.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

What is the concrete mix you use?
    (I'm really curious about this)

• silvamae
    16 years ago

Wow, that is going to be fabulous . . . .

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Simply amazing.
    Looks like your a natural at concrete sculpting.
    Linlee

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the flattery! You make a gal feel great!!!!

Lilpeaches, that's too funny - tell your BF that you're hanging with mudders now!!! LOL

Bama, that's 1 part portland cement and 2 parts fine sand.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tonight I mixed up terra cotta colored cement to coat the stem which won't be mosaiked, then I used the leftover to just skin coat the inner cap incase that were to be visible... to elves, fairies and toads???? LOL Then I sprayed foam into the stem to fill the void and "connect" the core to the outer stem (thought it would be stronger to do so) this shot is BEFORE it expanded into it's interesting form (childish snicker) and the stem is wrapped in saran wrap.

{{!gwi}}

I look for that color to lighten significantly as the cement whitens

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

oooh, I'm just loving this. Thanks for all the pictures. You are doing a fantastic job.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Oh wow, that is going to be so cool

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, I think the crete portion of this project is complete. I'm going to put off any thought on the mosaic till I see the final tone of the stem.

{{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yep - you could teach the workshop at Haciendo Mosaico and teach Riana LOTS. That is absolutely a PERFECT mushroom. Doncha just love creating from scratch?! Terrific job, girlie.

• brendak_59
    16 years ago

I love this and am interested on how to do this. I searched "Rianna" and found no results

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Brendak! sorry, I think cause I spelled it with 2 Ns and it should be 1. anyhoo I found Slow's description of the workshop... here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: the recipe

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Oh, NICE..that is just fantastic. What a great job you did. Love it!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Great mushroom!!

Hey what does DH think of this one??

Maria

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

Wow! What a great job you are doing! I love that method, to be able to make anything you want! That is just the coolest mushroom, can't wait to see what you do with it. Thanks for showing us how it's done from start to finish, the pics are great! How tall is it?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Hey NT, great shroom! You sure have thrown a hankerin' on me for doin' some of that crete work.
    How long does it have to dry before you can start the mosaic?

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

how in the world do you DO that???

with your schedule and everything, to just pick up and make something so precise and wonderful?

it's funny how things evolve, from one thing to another.
    while reading this, I went into the 'recipe' part of the post and from there, to slow's mentioning about the website of Teesha Moore and from there, I saw that for the first time.
    heck, she only lives less than an hour from me!
    and she makes some of the most playful, colorful, whimsical things I've ever seen...
    I'd love to drive up and see all she's got going on!

thankyou for mentioning her site and
    congratulations to you NT, on your project..it's going to be outstanding!

Becky .(*_*).

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shrty, Dh has not acknowledged it yet.

Bama, I don't think curing time is all that crucial before mosaiking. I believe our PV attendees said they didn't wait at all.

Sea, this one has lingered around here for quite a while. Just been poking away at it on weekends.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

NT- tell DH you found some day-glo glass for it.

I guess not saying anything is progress!!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

finally found some inspiration for the shroom. so here's a little progress

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DOH!
    {{!gwi}}

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Great mushroom. You are a pro. I really like your inspiration as well. Can't wait to see it completed.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Kewl!
    I was wondering what was happening with this 'shroom.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

See?Every mushrooms need glass blobs. :-)Looks good !

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oooooooooo - that's gonna be a real dilly of a 'shroom. Sun must've been really bright - can barely tell if that's white glass around the edge????

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

I don't see a pic NT. There's just lots of blank space.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I can see the pic and I like what I see, it is turning out to be cool...are you going to go psychedelic (I know the spelling is wrong but don't know how to spell it!!!) and add tons of colors?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sunshine, I don't know why it didn't load for you?

Chickee, nope I wanted to get away from the cliche', so no flowers or psychadelic colors. Art nouveau is what I'm trying for. And cheapness is making it a 2 color scheme

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

I can see it today!! Very nice. You are so patient with this process.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

OHHH, I sooo wanna do one now!!! This is just inspiring me to peices, and here I sit with all the material 30ft away....(can you tell it's day 24 of Jane Hell???)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

GO NT, GO NT, GO NT!!

I'm a likin' that fungus!!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

NT - am absolutely loving this. You're doing a fantastic job, as usual. Can hardly wait for the next picture!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

a little more progress... tell me again why I chose to do a repeating pattern.... ugh

{{!gwi}}

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Great pattern nice! This will be fun to watch.

Hazie

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Oooh, really nice! Can't wait to see it done!! As much as you have going on, I'm impressed with your progress lady!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I know I'm going to like this when it's done. Those tiny pieces flowing in a pattern is very attractive to me but GEEZ - actually doing it is taking me a lifetime and YAAAAWWWWNNNN - I can relate to Slow's SC experience, omg am I done yet? LOL.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

OHHH

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, forget my question on the 3-D stars thread. Here's my answer. I KNOW what you mean about keeping between the lines on something, but this is very neat, clean and very original. Your talent is amazing.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

A repeating WHITE pattern. Not very exciting. It is going to be SO Pretty when it's done!! hang in there, looks great!!

Maria

• klinger
    16 years ago

Keep going it's looking great, can't wait to see more progress on this,
    Cindy

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

What other color are you going to use besides white???

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

Have you posted pictures of this since the stage shown in here? If so, do you remember the thread name? I'm looking at pictures tonight:)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pretty sure that was the last pic I added, It's gone no where since then really. All I've done is finish that white wave pattern around the edge. Temps are now regularly too cold for thinset now and I'll probably not get anything else on it till spring.

But that could mean different colors might happen to magically arrive before I start again. Right now, I think I'll need more of the white to do the ginkgo leaves as it is. then I worry that 2 sheets of the orangish swirlly glass might not be enough for infill

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

I forget about the cold affecting lots of peeps. We don't have much of that down here:)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Dang it! I guess thats a good excuse. I wanted to push you to finish it! LOL

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio