Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

The Recipe - Hope I can do this RIGHT!!!

texaswild
17 years ago

Painting my ironing board legs, but decided to check in and am thinking I better take the time to try to relate what we learned. The others can fill in where I leave gaps, or I'll be happy to answer any questions.

For those who have a sewing background, this w/be a little easier. I used to sew all my clothes, so I related the proceedure to making a pattern to cut a dress. All her structures are a double layer of the mesh, so do everything in twos. The wire mesh is the galvanized lathe - diamond-shaped stuff used to plaster walls. To make a life-sized person, Riana begins by sorta measuring her face, cuts a piece of the mesh and begins to shape the face by folding the chin area into sorta a v-shape, cutting darts where she needed to fold and overlap for stitches, etc. To shape the forehead she cut a piece to size, leaving enough to bend and lay across to shape the forehead enough wings to attach it to the face, w/stitches made from 19 guage wire. She cuts a piece about 6/8" then turns in about an inch w/the pliers, pinches the folded end to make a "hook needle" that she pushes through the layers, to catch the pieces and then she can pull it through to wind around a couple times w/the pliers then cuts the ends off w/the cutting part of the pliers as close as possible w/o cutting the "knot". Use as many stitches as necessary to hold the piece to shape. W/each additional piece of mesh to shape the ears, nose, leave "wings" for attaching it to the base of the face. Sculpturing the face/head she then goes on to the shoulders by just bending a piece into an arched piece the length from shoulder to shoulder so the head w/be able to sit in the middle by cutting, shaping, darting so it sits properly. Remember - double layers of everything. The neck w/be a short tube you w/cut around bottom/top for the wings to attach to the head, then cut and darted to fit the shoulders once the head is attached. She goes through the whole process of sculpturing the whole body, darting, patching, pinching, folding, punching to shape, etc. The recipe for the mud mixture to be gently pushed in between the two pieces of mesh layer and smoothes over the mesh (not to completely cover) is: 1 part Portland cement to three parts of mason sand. She was using local stuff so the sand was course, and b/c the metal mesh wasn't available there, she used hardware "cloth" metal mesh - ungalvanized - 1/4" holes. After pushing through and smoothing out the structure, she covers w/plastic to dry over night. There were spots of the mesh not completely covered w/the concrete, and that was ok. It is a just a very thin layer on the outside, thereby making the statue light enough to move around easily. Next day, in most cases, it is ready to be refined or smoothed out the rough edges, especially trimming the "stitches", bumps knocked off, it is ready to be mosaiced. She doesn't cover all parts in mosaics. As shown in ROSIE's photo of the statue she made of our hostess Sam, bird and dog, she uses different colored grouts and exterior house paints to finish her pieces. She uses powdered colorants, and paints when she can't find grout in colors she wishes to use. On the arms and legs, she showed us how to use a runny mixture of grout to smooth over the skeleton to cover the mesh and concrete that won't be covered by mosaics. She makes her own grout w/one part type 1 Portland cement w/one-two parts silica sand or you can buy a regular sanded grout. For mosaicing she uses cement-based polymer fortified tile adhesive for adhering. The local stuff wasn't great, and when an occasional piece fell off, she used Weldbond to put it back on. The climate there is mild, so ...... She didn't even know what a pistol-grip glass scoring tool was. Her only tools are a hammer, a tile nipper, the tile cutter w/the little wheel to score and a trowel for mixing the cement/sand mixture - VERY BASIC TOOLS. Ask away, if this isn't clear.

Comments (21)

• d3bbi
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Slow, thanks for the details. It makes sense to me right now but someday in the future when I try this I might scream "Help". I assume since she didn't know about glass scroing tools, that she only uses tile?
    A new experience to look forward to. Maybe this summer I'll give it a try.
    thanks, Slow. Glad you had a good trip.

• barbara_now
    17 years ago

Geeze, I need a picture NOW, where's Rosie??? I think it all makes sense, Slow, and I think it's awesome the way you remembered the details. Did you make one, too? I'd love to make a full size person to mosaic! I have a boulder in my carport I started working on what I almost said was three years ago until I started counting and now realize it was five years ago this month!!! So, if I don't finish just a simple boulder in five years I can only imagine the amount of time a full size person would take. If only I were triplets! Thanks for sharing, Slowmedown....'at's pretty cool!

Barbara

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Thanks, I'm saving those directions for summer. Have some hardware cloth aroud here somewhere!

Maria

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I'm C & P all your info .... Can't thank you enough !!!

• mosaicwench1
    17 years ago

Thank you slow!

Her summer home is in Wisconsin and I was wondering how she made those things to last during our winters . . . .

I will be re-reading your instructions and asking questions as they arise.

I'm anxious for the snow to melt so I can work outside again (we're down to "only" 21 inches of it on the ground)!!

• madhabitz
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information - glad you're back!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the thanks. D3 - She uses EVERYTHING she can find to put in her mosaics. She even smashes mirror w/the hammer - says she likes the way it breaks better that way. BARBARA - my project was a very small shrine cuz I knew I'd have to hand-carry it. I'll have to work up to making a full-sized statue. Perhaps a bench first. If you'll notice on her website, Riana doesn't cover every single space on her pieces, so it'll take less time to mosaic when I get to one. SHRTY: Riana only used the "hardware cloth" cuz she couldn't get the other wire mesh locally. She only uses the mesh in the states. The hardware cloth isn't galvanized, so it w/rust. Don't know how long it w/take for the rust to show through, or rust away and weaken the structure, but she highly recommended using the galvanized mesh. On small projects I'll use it cuz it's much easier to work with, but when I get to a large piece, I'll use the galvanized mesh. I also forgot to add the wire/metal snips to her supplies for cutting the mesh. WENCH - you must be chompin' at the bits for winter to get GONE. My yard is so ugly and I just don't want to break away from all these ideas to clean it up, and I'm having trouble getting Juan. Gonna call someone else today.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

HEY you LITTLE Heifer! GOD bless YOUR lilHEART! We are still stuck in beautiful MEXICO AND ARE TRYING TO BUY UP THE REST OF ALL THE GOOD DEALS! ha ha! Oops, wrong buttons.... DID ANY OF YOUR STUFF FALL OFF YOUR NICHE? Is it grouted? Color??? Klinger and I leave tomorrow, POUT! p.S. found those round glass thingys, heh heh.....

• shrty411
    17 years ago

ok, I still need a use for that hardware cloth. wish I could remember why I bought it LOL!!

If I try a project galvanized wire mesh it will be :-)

Maria

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey girlie! Soooooo good to see your message. I was just telling StJohnsGypsie today about me getting in trouble using that term. Buuuullllesss your l'il heart, you l'il heifer. Are y'all NOT ready to leave by now? You have NO IDEA how heavy that carry on was to literally DRAG through five thousand miles at the Dallas airport. Lordy, that place is big. I wasn't quite through shopping so stopped at a leather shop before leaving P.V. and bought a hand bag and paid a fortune for it. Nope - nothing has fallen off. I finished glueing the back of the cross yesterday and the angel - should grout tomorrow morn. Am painting dots on the ironing board. Have been working on the wall art piece up on the left as you go out the door of the haciendo into the pool area. I'm lovin' my piece even better than that one - all from scraps from my garage. W/post a pic on the conversation side when finished. Has nothing to do w/SG/Mosaics, but want y'all all to see it. Hugs to you both. Was looking at Teesha Moore's site today and wondered if you/Klinger could make it to Washington State for one of her workshops sometimes? I ordered the metal art book by Linda/Opie O'Brien and have been talking w/my handyman about going in w/him to buy a plasma cutter, and probably w/go get me a spot welder from Harbor Freight soon. Also w/check on postage for the tumbler cuz I still have the box, and can call the P.O. to ask how much. Won't forget - I'm just still on overload and have to get a couple projects out of my head. Have more fun for me. I LOVE that place, and think of you both and the fun we had together all day. Love y'all, you l'il heifers!

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Slow, have I mentioned how GREAT it is to have you back. That post was just sooooo full of Slowmedown energy - you've put a smile on my face. Thankyou for being you!

p.s. can't wait to see your wall art!

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Hey Calamity, we're gonna need pics of those "little round glass thingys" (wink)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bumping this for FLAG.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping this for SB Texas, who emailed me this morning for the concrete porportions. My email is still down.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh RATS - I think later down I changed the cement/sand to two parts sand to one part cement. This was near the end and about ready to fall off. Don't have time to look for the correction posting. Lost my instructions, so ROSIE, I know you have them. W/you post the right porportion, please.

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

Hoping to get the proportion thing for sure....

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Slow, I fairly sure your correction post has it as 1 part cement and 2 parts play sand. Because that's what I used on my shroom and I did that on your directions...

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Soooooo busy but checking in and found this on top - here's a website - in the absence of ROSIE's response. Just spoke w/her on the phone, and she thinks it was 3 to 1, but NT if used 2 to 1, it works too. Many others sites on concrete on the net.
    concret

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

The link is to the mosaic on the Antiques Roadshow, is that what you meant to do?

Maybe I'll go in the middle & do 2 1/2 sand? ;)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, C.R.A.P. I thought I copied a website - there are many - but I suppose I hadn't and last was on the Road Show thingy. Sorry, PANTHER: Lots of people use 2 to 1 and lots use 3 to 1. Check this out or Google concrete mix porportions.
    concrete mixture

• sbtexas
    16 years ago

I used the 3:1 mix last weekend on the bottom of a column I'm making but I got the mixture a litte wet. When I get back to it this weekend I'll try the 2:1 mixture. Thanks to all for the help on the mixture.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH