Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bath bomb question

Posted by sarab (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 04 at 18:07

I'm confused about the proportions of baking soda to citric acid in recipes and how it affects the finished product.

For example, Marie Browning's Basic Recipe calls for 1 cup baking soda to 3/4 cup citric acid. She gives another recipe that is 1 cup baking soda to 1/2 cup citric acid and 1/4 cup cornstarch.

Hazel's recipe, (the one I'm thinking I'll use since she knows what she's talking about,) calls for 2 cups baking soda to the same 3/4 cup citric acid.

Does the proportion affect the fizzing action substantially? Or the water softening effect of the salts?

Thanks, sara

(I also like Hazel's suggestion of adding a drop of two of scent after they've dried a bit to give them more oomph.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bath bomb question

I don't know if it does or not.
I know when I was orginally playing around with them I was ing the recipe, & of course not getting exactly of 3/4C. didn't matter if it was over or under a bit as to how much they fizzed.

I think the ones with cornstarch use less citric acid so that the recipe proportion (# made/batch) doesn't get out of hand to make before it stiffens up.

I have also started making "plain" bombs, totally unscented, partly because I had some requests for unscented ones because of allergies-they wanted the fizz effect, not the smell and because I can keep a supply of the unscented ones on hand, & just scent them as needed.

I have stuff in a shop, & some times of the year they sell better than others. In the slow seasons I just take out a few, but when it's busy I need more, with the unscented ones at home I just add the oil to the hardened bomb, let dry well, then put in a small zip top bag & add a topper. Plus if I need say more Rose, I can just scent a few as opposed to dragging everything out to make a few, or be forced to make a batch, which I may not need all of for a couple months.
(disclaimer-this doesn't work well for the darker colored oils, because they stain the surface of the bomb. but on the clear oils, works great. Just make sure they are dry before bagging, otherwise the outgassing will make the package expand or pop open if you use zip top bags. Wanna guess how I found that out?? LOL)

Hazel

o
RE: Bath bomb question

Thanks, Hazel.

I think I'll stick to your recipe and follow your excellent directions!

sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Hazel's recipe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here