SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazel_sc

Bath Softerner recipe

Hazel_SC
20 years ago

Below is the bath softener recipe I use. It is a VERY dry looking/feeling mixture, but I've had good luck with it. Sometimes they do crack on the top, but they still hold together fine.

Hope this helps y'all.

Hazel

BUBBLING BATH SOFTENER

(BATH BOMBS)

2 Cups baking soda

¾ cup citric acid powder

essential or fragrance oil

witch hazel

flowers, herbs, spices of your choice to complement oil (optional)

molds of your choiceÂcandy molds, faster plaster, soap etc.

Mix citric acid & baking soda thoroughly in bowl. In a separate bowl mix any flowers, herbs, etc. with scented oil, then add to baking soda mixture & stir well. Use a spray bottle to apply witch hazel to mixture. (Approx. ½ oz. per .batch.) Spray a little on, then mix, then spray again. DO NOT GET THE MIXTURE TOO WET!! Mixture should be slightly gummy.

Make sure to scrape sides & bottom of bowl to get all ingredients mixed well.

Mixture is ready to mold when a handful pressed together stays together when

released. Pack mixture FIRMLY into mold, being careful NOT to overfill the mold.

Just level with the top is all you need. You want it flat & level with the top-not

heaped at all. Turn mold upside down & tap firmly to release bath bomb.

(You can also tap the mold sharply on its side against the table-just catch the

bath bomb as it comes out). Allow to dry 2-3 hrs & pack in plastic bags, or a pretty jar to preserve scent.

*I usually wait until they have dried about an hour, then I add 1-2 drops of scented

oil directly to each bath bomb to give it a little more oomph.

*Work quickly with this mixture as it dries out rapidly, & it is difficult to mold if itÂs too dry.

*If mixture becomes too dry to mold you can just break into small clumps, & allow to

dry. Use as you would bubbling bath crystals.

*If mixture sticks to mold, just use a dab of cooking oil on a paper towel, & lightly

grease the mold BEFORE placing mixture in mold.

*Citric acid powder should be firmly packed in your measuring cup, just as you

measure brown sugar.

*For a pretty gift mold into small balls about the size of a walnut (or truffle), allow

to rest on wax paper 2-3 hrs (may need to re-shape slightly) & allow to dry

completely about 36 hrs. Place each ball in a small paper candy cup. You can stack

in layers in a pretty jar, or go to a cake/craft store & get the ½ LB or 1 LB white

candy boxes. Pack each box with the little balls for a cute gift. Use 1-2/bath.

(Please put a label on box saying DO NOT EAT!)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living