Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilly_dally_gw

Condo 175sq/ft in News

dilly_dally
14 years ago

A 175sq/ft condo in NY has two people and two cats in residence.

Some small home tips in the article include keeping most of your clothes at the dry cleaners (LOL) and storing your underwear in the kitchen cabinets.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

Comments (58)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

WOW Dilly GREAT storage ideas. That little sectional is darling. And I really like the tansu.

Chris

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One thing they did do right in that kitchen was to go with two burners instead of squeezing one of those tiny 24" four burner ranges in. Who ever needs FOUR burners? Have you ever cooked and had all four burners going at once? Even if for some reason you do need four burners going at once, then on those small apartment sized ranges there would not even be enough room to fit all those pans without hitting edges and having them off-center.

Instead of getting that under counter fridge where you have to bend over to see whats in it I would have gone with one of those pull out refrigerator drawers.

I still have a hard time believing this couple lives there full time. They keep ALL there clothing at the dry cleaners? No art on the walls. No food in kitchen. They eat ALL their meal out? Bookshelves filled with booze and the kitchen filled with wine. They have to walk up to the 16th floor every day? No photo albums or anything personal. No place to store paperwork.

This apartment looks like the ones sold in my city that are for wealthy people who live in country mansions and come to the city for theater and shopping and gourmet restaurants. These type of condos are also sold to frequent business travelers who find it cheaper to own a condo if they are going to be in same town on a regular basis. They don't have to travel with all their toiletries and clothing either and can keep stuff stashed there. I can't believe these two 'jog to work' everyday as they claim, picking up their clothing at the dry cleaners on the way and grab breakfast en route.

Ottoman can be tucked away when not in use and ottoman opens for storage. A great small home piece o furniture.

{{!gwi}}

• johnmari
    14 years ago

"They have to climb sixteen flights of stairs to get to it."

No, they don't. Read the article. Elevator goes to the 15th floor, one flight to walk up after that.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A-ha. I read a number of articles on this and I did not remember correctly that they only had to walk up one flight. What stuck in my mind was the having to "walk up to the 16th floor".

If these people learned to cook and learned how to do their laundry on their own, they could save a ton of money and buy better place to live. Besides the $150,000 price they paid for the place, they also are saddled with a $700/mo condo fee.

I cannot imagine having to remember which dry cleaner I left my stuff at when I need it. (They say they use various ones.) I suppose one gets used to it though just like them having to brave the cold New York winters every evening just to get supper for themselves.

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Boy, that sure makes me appreciate our apprx. 750 sq. ft. of living space in our little cottage. I can't believe they paid $150,000, have a maintenance fee of $700 a month. They must be crazy!

Just my 2 cents worth.

FlowerLady

• flgargoyle
    14 years ago

For about the same money, when I get done with our place in SC, I'll have a small house (1000 sq ft?), a barn, and 7 acres of beautiful trees. To each, his or her own, I guess. Our living style is very nearly the opposite of theirs- we're always home (except when working) we cook about 99% of our own meals, and I haven't used a dry cleaners in years.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Store extra seating on the wall when not in use! Kewl.

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Ah, Dilly, you are finding some interesting pieces. But I would not want to sit on Mona Lisa's face, LOL!

The Daily Mail article is the one that said they only have one appliance. Some words mean different things in England, so it is possible the writer meant they only added one appliance to the stuff that came with the condo.

Did you notice that they just moved in and they expect to pay it off in two years? Those people must be making a fantastic salary. I do get her point about saving money because the lack of space discourages them from buying things. We feel that way about our small house.

I could never live in their tiny place, though. They obviously have no creative type hobbies.

• mcgillicuddy
    14 years ago

Here's a similarly sized condo in NYC that looks much nicer, due to the owner's clever use of organization and design.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny condo in NYC

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh yes, that one is much nicer mcgillicuddy. Maybe the other couple can remodel theirs to be more livable in a few years. I wonder where that closet is? And I wish they had shown the where the ironing board is.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Yes, much nicer, but while I loved the bathroom and the closet, I wouldn't want to sleep on that ikea sofabed every night, no matter how much time I spent pumping up the air mattress. :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

WOW Amazing. I can not believe it took so many pictures to show such a small space. She certainly has a beautiful style in her design.OK Now I just have to say. Again with the booze thing. Hehehehehe

Chris

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More talk about this great apartment over in Home Decorating Forum:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg121141327096.html?6

-------------

A pull out couch and an air matress to pump every night? No thanks. I would build a platform bed and add some nice storage stairs:

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Decor Thread

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

dilly dally, Where did you find the storage couch you posted above. Also the storage chair. I noticed she had the same storage chair in her beautiful apartment.

Chris

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As I said before......just Google for RV furniture, marine furniture, yacht, and boat furniture. You'll get all kinds of nifty furniture with storage amd/or bedding options.

The trick is to visualize the piece outside of the cramped and hideous decor that boats and RVs have.

{{!gwi}}

Jacknife sofa for boat or RV with storage drawer underneath:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Marine

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Secret storage:

{{!gwi}}

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Ah, Dilly, you are finding some interesting pieces. But I would not want to sit on Mona Lisa's face, LOL! "

More eye candy:

Better?

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

LOL About sitting on Mona Lisa's face. Thought crossed my mind too.

Those wall chairs are really neat.

I love that one couch with under the cushion storage. That would be perfect in my sewing room. Going to look further into finding one to buy. Looks like the RV ones are big $$$. Going to keep my eye open and see if I can find a place that rebuilds RV's or remodels them and see if I can find one. This is exactly what I need. Thanks for the information.

Chris

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If one absolutely MUST go with a sofa/bed combo in a very small space a jackknife sofa works so much better. It doesn't look sloppy if you don't put it away every day like a pull-out one does. There is often times storage space right under it for linens and pillows too. They can be found more often being sold at places that cater to RVs and boats.

These below are very attractive if you life Modern or Contemporary life so many small space dwellers do. I know nothing about the company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jackknife Sofas

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Going to keep my eye open and see if I can find a place that rebuilds RV's or remodels them and see if I can find one. This is exactly what I need."

There are places that remodel RV and yachts. I had a friend of a friend who did a sort of "Flip This House Yacht" sort of thing by buying older, not so pretty ones, and updating them and reselling them. He turned them over quite quickly for a profit.

-------------------

Here is a great use of space with a bed right out in the open. The room looks great from all angles and the bed is not 'an elephant in the room'.

I am hugely impressed with the layout on this one:

http://www.ronmarvin.com/RonMarvin/ron_marvin_-_interiors_-_chelsea.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny One Room Condo

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooops, forgot to add a couple photos. Check the Ron Marvin website clicky above for more small space decorating ideas.

I think this one is in Tudor City also. Note the walls and trim painted the same color to make the space seem larger.

Bed is in lower right corner here. There is even a television worked into the room without looking like an eyesore. *See! You really had to look for it didn't you. :)

Note the wall art hung low to make the bed area seem more cozy and separate for the occupant, yet the mirror is hung high with the floor lamp to make it part of the room. Lots of mirrors and shine in the room without looking too reflective and cluttery as can sometimes happen with mirrors.

'Ghost' tables make the seating area seem open while still providing function. The only thing that could be better is for the seating cubes to open for storage. I don't think they do. It looks like there is underbed storage though.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I was really loving that apartment till the antlers. Then, not so much anymore.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, those antlers did look to be placed too high to be useful, but I think they used a fisheye lens for the photo that distorted things. They are probably at the right height for towels. The curtain rod looks too high too. It is just distortion in the photo I believe. I am surprised that you did not mention the floor lamp in the bathroom - by the toilet. I was scratching my head on that one. That seemed weird and cumbersome. (A reading lamp?)

Here is a small home, nifty solution.................a place to set your phone, electric toothbrush, shaver or whatnot, without needing a table or anything taking up floorspace.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

I can just see me stumbling around in the dark and poking my eye out

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One would just have to use common sense with the placement of those receptacle covers. An outlet on the wall with a vanity counter in front of it would be good. An outlet placed in the middle of wall where a person could walk buy and get scraped by it would be bad.

These things would be great for eliminating counter clutter.

I wouldn't put one on an outlet in a hallway.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Well, actually it was the existence of antlers I didn't love, not the placement. Sorry, just don't get the whole antler/taxidermy thing that's trendy right now, unless you're furnishing a hunting lodge or something. I realize it's trendy, butÂ

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH Dilly Dally I did not even notice the floor lamp. That is a riot. Dangerous too. I do wish we had put a plug in on the far side of our master bath. Hind sight and DH said someday he might poke one through the wall from the room behind. But floor lamp next to the toilet. Snicker.

writersblock. We have a couple sets of antlers in our house. One my hubby got when he was a child and then I did a beaded cover for it. And then one single horn a deer I protected down on the ranch we used to have left me his lovely horn. So to us they are meaningful. And honored. DH does not hunt any longer.

Dilly Dally I really am enjoying seeing these fancy small places you are coming up with. There are some ideas I can take away from them to use here. Thanks for your research.

OH and the bed verses sleeper sofa verses futon. I guess the futon is just about the same as the jack knife couch. Only the couch looks so much better. I would not gain anything space wise. Darn. Guess I am just going to have to live with what we have. Well it does make for a nice room to go into and read or nap when I want to get away from the TV.

Chris

• larke
    14 years ago

I have antlers too, but very different from those. Mine (actually only one, with a a couple of divisions) is a sculpture/carving done by a member of the Iroquois I picked up at a powwow years ago. It has a little base, is only 1' tall altogether, and between the antler divisions (picture a Y with 1-2 extra little extensions on each 'arm') is a spirit figure head rushing out at you from the back. Sounds a bit weird, I guess, but it's really well done, very effective, and he definitely rules the roost here.

• larke
    14 years ago

Ha... it sounds like I picked up the carver at the powwow, but didn't of course, only the carving!

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL. Yes, I had to read that twice.

-------------------

Trying to bet both style and function in a small space can be pricey. Some of the offerings are drool-worthy like this flat screen with retro styling.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Jackknife, folddown, clickclack - sofas. We had one of those when we first married, and I am here to say it is the MOST uncomfortable bed ever made. There is no way to cover or pad that crack down the middle. We also had a water bed back then (yes, I fought against it but lost) and had to sleep on that horrible folddown bed every time we moved until dh got the water bed set up or taken down.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a Murphy bed that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. The foam mattress folds. I think this is a great idea. It does not look like a Murphy bed and is not an eyesore. It is only as high was a fireplace and a hutch can be added on top to place a TV to watch in bed or from a couch across the room when the bed is folded up. Or it can be left looking like a cabinet without the hutch adding a lamp on top or other useful or decorative items. This is a great use of space and better than a Murphy bed taking up a whole wall.

• User
    14 years ago

Oh LORDY, this is an exciting discussion thread! Especially the TANSU pictures. Using them as real steps what a great idea.

My immediate thought was, give hubby this picture so he can build our dachshund her steps to get in the bed. (Yes, we have a pillow princess.) Instead of a bench at the foot of our bed, a TANSU would give pretty good
    storage for some items, especially if we extend the higher portion a little ways across the bed width.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Now that is the neatest (is that a word?) thing I've seen in a long time. No one would guess there was a bed in there.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pretty cool huh? Just when ya think that every idea possible has already been invented and there is nothing left to come up with, up pops a nifty new concept.

With this Murphy bed that stows low there is no wasted space. The Murphy bed cabinet becomes useful when the mattresse is put away making the piece functional during the daytime. Genius.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

That is great!!! Trying to figure how the mattress folds. we have a foam mattress and it would be very hard to fold it.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, I once had a mattress that was made of some type of very dense foam ?? rubber (??). My aunt bought it in the early 70s and when she died I got it, so I'm guessing that it was not any of the modern foam they sell now. Anyway, it was extremely heavy and pliable. When I had to flip it, I had to have help. It could not stand up on its end, it folded over. Yet, it was very firm. I have regretted many times that I got rid of it (but the cover had begun to dryrot).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Ooh, I like that. It's like a greatly improved version of Bed in Box.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is two pieces of foam. They are connected in the middle with a piece of cloth. Bottom part flips onto of the other then they both go in.

----------

Check this out for hiding that extra place for in frequent guests. I bet this could be made into a cabinet without the bookshelves above.

No one will know this is a Murphy bed when folded up. It's sleek. It doesn't have all the unnecessary shelves around it. It folds out horizontal to take up less floor space.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Horizontal makes so much more sense. This cabinet height is only 61" for a full size.

{{!gwi}}

------------------

Definitely the Tansu is a better idea than using a ladder :Oooh. My aching knees.:

A Tansu offers storage that a ladder does not give.

Here below is a suspended platform bed. They could have eliminated both the bookcase and the ladder and replaced them with a Tansu. Tansus are easy to move when the time comes. They just come apart into lightweight boxes.

Here are some photos of more suspended beds installed in very small living spaces. They might even be dorm rooms, hence the occupants have the the agility needed for the ladder climbing.

Here is a link that might be useful: More suspended beds

• idie2live
    14 years ago

I can just imagine me climbing down from the platform be 2 times each nich to go to the bathroos, lol

• idie2live
    14 years ago

oops! Meant to say "night"

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I never heard of 'Bed in a Box' before. They look like a great solution for a guest room.

From this:

{{!gwi}}

To this:

{{!gwi}}

Great idea for small spaces. The stored bed isn't taking up closet space like an AeroBed nor is it taking up wall space like a Murphy bed. It can function as seating when not being used as a bed.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Extra seating for party guests has always been a storage problem. Even if the chair folds up the legs get tangled and they never mesh right.

Tada!

{{!gwi}}

They can be folded up and stored horizontal on the floor of a closet or on top of a closet cabinet or storage box rather than being needed to be stored standing vertical.

Of course they would make great minimalistic "wall art" or "paneling" too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Hi, dilly dally. Bed in a Box used to also come in a vertical console table, too, which is why your link made me think of it. (BHG used to offer it in a kind of distressed off-white cottage console with louvered doors on it, for quite a long time.)

They were horribly uncomfortable to sleep on, though, so hopefully that's improved, too. :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

And how about a folding bathroom:

Here is a link that might be useful: on moggit

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I see that The Kitchn has an article about the kitchen of the tudor city studio apt:

Kittie's micro kitchen

I'll never be that organized, no matter how much or how little space I have!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Another tiny house dweller. Different point of view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny living quarters.

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Shades! Thast was very interesting. The underbed storage idea looks like it was taken from yachting/RV living. It works way better than drawers in a captains bed because you can store big items that are not used often and it doesn't have that 'toe stub' problem that captains beds have.

I have placed my microwave on my fridge like he did, but people always scratch their head and ask "Why is the microwave on top of the fridge??"

What's up with the big stashes of booze New Yorkers always have displayed?

The kitchen hasn't been updated and looks sparse, but the guy says he does not cook much. I would go nuts with a kitchen like he has (or maybe I would learn to adapt).

I like his design and decorating philosophy but all I could imagine in his place was DUST and having to dust all the clutter.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

What's up with the big stashes of booze New Yorkers always have displayed?"

OK I did notice it in his apartment too but thought I better not mention it in case some might think I was down on booze. Hehehehehe

He really did get a lot tucked away in his small space.

No room above our fridge for microwave. I would be afraid I would spill hot stuff down the front of me. I did have a cabinet in one kitchen with wired in plug for microwave. But I could NOT get it through the door and we have a really small microwave. So go figure. Would love to tuck it away some where. No outlet in the pantry. Oh well it works where it is.

Loved the under the bed storage.

Chris

• dilly_dally
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris, you might be able to use Wiremold to add an outlet in the pantry. It meets national code.

Wiremold makes two type of products for a solution. One acts as conduit and is mounted to the outside of a wall. The other is a channel mounted on the wall for holding an extension cord out of site and making it look 'built in'.