Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Remember the tiny NYC apartment?

Since the original thread about the 150 sq ft NY apt has disappeared, here's another teeny apt posted in the Smaller Homes forum. She certainly found plenty to do with 170 sq ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: 170 sq ft studio

Comments (16)

• sedeno77
    14 years ago

awesome

• yayagal
    14 years ago

What an organizer!!! She worked hard to plan every square inch of use. Fantastic.

• parma42
    14 years ago

That's just wonderful!

Another thing I like is that the snoot factor is missing. She bought most of the items at places that would be accessible to the majority of us.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

>She bought most of the items at places that would be accessible to the majority of us.

Yes, I liked that, too. (I also liked the dust on the printer, but then I'm the kind of person who appreciates that kind of validation. :))

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Thanks for the eye candy link for small space design!

Fabulous design and fabulous use of space.

What's up with all the booze in the kitchen like the last couple had also? Must be a New York thing.

This apartment is slightly bigger than the other NY couple's apartment coming in at 225sq/ft but I don't think the extra space is what makes this one 'work'. The design is genius.

At first I thought that there was no real kitchen - only a coffee bar. But, there is a ceramic single burner cooktop that pulls out of the island in a purpose-built 'drawer'. Also a microwave below the island. That is really all a person really needs for one or two people.

I don't know if I would really care to have to pump up an air mattress every night like they do. When I was to crash I just want to crash not have to have a nighttime ritual of opening a couch, pumping a mattress, and getting linens and pillows out.

I like the space saving idea of storing flatwear vertical and I am going to try that in my kitchen. The Kleenex box on the wall like hotels do it saves counter real estate in the bathroom.

Since the woman is a designer she has her own website. There are a few more photos of the space from different angles and one of the "foyer" if you click below.

Also there are photos of other studios and small apartments with great small space ideas.

http://www.lifestylespacedesign.com/Manhattan_studio_gallery.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Manhatten Apartment

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Love it, but I didn't see any heavy winter coats in that tiny closet-or boots. I would never survive the winter without those!

• rosie
    14 years ago

I loved it until I realized she has to store a husband in there somewhere too. :)

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

Impressive, except the towels next to the toilet.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would love an apartment in Tudor City. They were originally built as commuter apartments for businesspeople to stay in the city during the week, so they didn't have to travel back to CT, NJ, LI, PA etc every night.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For you New Yorkers, where is Tudor City, exactly?

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Here 'ya go.........

Here is a link that might be useful: Tudor City

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Now this woman knows how to live in a small space. That other couple either had no clue or didn't care. Actually not matter what size space you live in I think organization, and beautiful organization at that, is just as important as home decor.
    I'm heading off to check out dilly dally link next. Thanks ladies!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, dilly_dally. Golly, that's a lot to pay for maintenance for a place that small.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

My first "Go To" is always Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_City

Here is a story in the New York Times about another tiny apartment in Tudor City:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/realestate/31habi.html

I would have soooooo totally done the apartment differently. The owner's lifestyle needed to accommodate dining for eight and maybe up to twelve. I would have done sleek, upholstered banquette seating with very high backs along that wall with a rectangular table. I would just have two chairs with it instead of four out at all time and then bring out folding chairs for parties.

These are just so kewl for storing when not in use, and also fabuous when in use. Just think............no bulking up a closet or running to the basement! Just hang them as wall art or slide 80-100 of them under your bed:

The decor is rather uninspired and I did not learn any nifty small space living tricks from the article. The article said the owner changes out the black cords on all of her black appliances to white so they match the white walls. :Hmmmm: That sounds like a lot of money spent on something very picky, yet she kept the cringe-worthy, shutter style, bi-fold doors on the closet. I would have done track panel style to have them blend seamlessly, or barn door style as a focal.

I would have Velcro-ed a bedskirt on the Murphy bed to make it feel less like a prison bunk. One with soft, fully gathered, fabric that would hang downward and not interfere when the bed is folded away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Times Article

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love those flat chairs! What a great idea.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Another Tudor City apartment coming in at 245sq/ft. Who says you can't use dark colors in a small space? This couple really did a nice job in making the whole space charming.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs