Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

drapes/curtains

musicteacher
9 years ago

I am making curtains for a large window that will require two widths of fabric on each side. I now realize that the fabric needs to be lined to look right but am worried about working with such huge amounts of fabric - two layers 109" x 100 ". I am worried that I have no place to lay out that large a panel so may end up with all kinds of mess. I am using pleating tape at the top and pronged hooks. I have thought of just making 4 separate panels but these curtains will be opened and closed daily so I am not sure how that would work - or look. Anyone ever do this?

Comments (9)

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

I know it will probably be a little more awkward but I think the large one piece panels will work better. Draperies using several panels sometimes gap open a little where they meet. Just try to use a large area to sew them on like your dining table. Take your time.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Maybe some women's organization,the boys and girls club or some other organization,or a church will allow you to come in during the day and use a couple of their tables pushed together.Won't hurt to ask,that's what a friend and I did when we made large drapes for our church.We used the B&G's club.
    Kathi

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I've done very large lined panels...not as hard as you think, just a little bulky. I typically will hem the panels and lining first...just make sure you do your calculations correctly. Then sew the side seams and then finish the header on top with the pleater tape. I usually miter the hem corner where the lining stops. I've moved furniture out of the way, vacuumed well and then laid the fabric out on the floor.

I always use double hems on the drapes so they hang straighter....

Below is a youtube...she does it differently than I, but it works too.

Here is a link that might be useful: making curtain panel

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I had to move all LR furniture to the sides of the room. This was for a one way draw drape for a sliding door window.

The drapery rod was 75". The length to floor was 87". I used 3 widths of 54"fabric (which made the fullness to be a tiny bit more than 2 times fullness).

Do you have a room in your house (or garage) that you could clear out? Make sure the floor is clean before you begin.

Living Room Floor - 3 Widths of Fabric - Header, Hem, & Sides Double Folded
    Entryway- Sewing Machine

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions. Here I go! : )

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I see from decor you've done a great job on them...congrats!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I don't know anout the rest of you but i can no longer get on the floor.Old age and knee replacements have taken their toll on me.

Annie,where did you see the finished decor??? I don't see it or a link to it.
    kathi

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Kathi -

Here is the link to musicteacher's post on decor (Home Decorating & Design Forum).

-Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: musicteacher's post

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Thanks Laurie.She did a wonderful job and I just love the fabric.
    Kathi