Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

Are pleated curtains out of style?

musicteacher
9 years ago

I am making these curtains for my dining room. I wanted them to be light and airy but ended up having to line them because the light shining through them makes them look like burlap. So I went all out: lined, made each 96 inch long panel 110 inches wide for fullness and put pleating tape as a header. Now that I have the pleating hooks in it strikes me that they look old fashioned/dated/formal/je ne sais quois. (I know, "What did Jenna say" lol.) Is there a better way to make the tops of these so they don't look like they belong to someone my age? I looked for 2 years to find a fabric I liked and could afford, now wondering if I made a mistake.

Comments (24)

• KentLyons
    9 years ago

make sure your room is well blended.

This post was edited by KentLyons on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 3:34

• teeda
    9 years ago

Pleated curtains are definitely NOT out of style! It's the rod and the height they are hung that dates any drape. Hang them from rings on a pole that is mounted above the window frame, and they will look perfectly up to date! Love the fabric! Please share pictures of the drapes once they're up!

• jjam
    9 years ago

absolutely in style and classic. Still the best overall treatment IMO and can be used with any style fabric. Agree with WMA89! They will look great and we look forward to seeing pics....

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Love the fabric. I don't think they are out of style either. Can't wait to see your room :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You could instead sew the tops shut and make them like brisby pleats ...

[Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Little Rock Interior Designers & Decorators Tobi Fairley Interior Design

Or you could sew the pinch shut and then hang them with the pleat to the wall...cover the pleater tape with a matching or contrasting border of fabric.

You'd have to redo the tops if you wanted to make an inverted pleat drape...

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I was going to say what Annie said.

Inverted pleats have the same fullness but look more up to date IMHO. I like how it isn't as "ruffly".

I have done them with clip rings on the backside of the drapery.

• User
    9 years ago

I love your curtains! Well constructed pinch pleated panels will never be out of style because they are beautiful and functional. Goblet pleats, sewn down pleats (flat) and inverted pleats are all a variation on the same theme you have. I would not change a thing!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The fabric is delightful! It has a youthful personality that lends itself nicely to any kind of curtain style. Trust your first instincts.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I am in love with the fabric and I agree totally with KSWL, good, classic style is always in style. I love pinch pleated drapes!

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

You did a great job and I think you should stick with them. I have a feeling you'll like them more once they're up.

I used this fabric a couple of years ago in the grey colorway for a guest room in a client's home. They wanted pinch pleats with a leading edge trim. Turned out absolutely gorgeous! The fabric has a wonderful drape and texture.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Music, would you share the fabric info? It is so beautiful. I keep putting off calling a drapery shop but I have to get myself motivated to finish my bedroom.

• User
    9 years ago

The inverted pleat is really nice. I don't think pleated is out of style, though. I think what's out of style is the swoop using tiebacks.

You could always make a simple valance to hang over just the depth of the pleated section of the drapes. Just get a three/four-inch board and staple a piece of the fabric onto it

• justretired
    9 years ago

I am not a drape expert, others have had some good advice/suggestions. I can see this however: The fabric is really pretty and you have some SERIOUSLY awesome sewing chops! Well done, they look beautiful.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I like them! Just add the below, and it'll update them.

Here is a link that might be useful: curtain hooks with clips

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Pinch pleated drapes are not out of style - but many now hang them with rings. As mentioned above, make sure the rod is up-to-date. That makes a huge difference!

• User
    9 years ago

IMO, valances hanging over curtain panels is what dates them. A pretty rod, with the pleat pins attached to rings on the rod, will look completely up to date.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

Very classic.
    You did a great job! That's a lot of fabric to work with especially since you lined them. I remember your post from the sewing forum.
    Did you find a large enough space to do your work?
    I've never used pleating tape in the header before. Was it easy to work with? Did you also include buckram into the header?
    How high above the window are you planing on mounting the drapery?

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

I hope not. I don't like those grommet thingies.

Your drapes are beautiful. Pleats are timeless and classic.

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your kind and helpful posts. I love this forum. Laurie the pleating tape was the easiest part. I just folded the top edge down and top stitched it on -top and bottom. It is so stiff I don't think you'd need buckram too. Of course, how they will look remains to be seen. After what everyone has said I think I'll go ahead and hang them as is, and if they look too fussy I could invert the pleats without a whole lot of trouble . Maybe....... If I read a few tutorials about it! : ) And no, I didn't have a proper place to work, just folded the fabric in layers and cut with a rotary cutter while the fabric puddled on the floor. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Holly Kay, I wish I had more info about the fabric. I found it unlabeled, in the discount room of a fabric shop, and was just walking around trying to decide when a sales clerk brought someone in to see it. If it was their sales gimmick, it sure worked for me. I almost panicked at the thought of her buying "my" fabric. Indecision over.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Classic is never out of date. You did great.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Instead of using the typical hooks for pinch pleat drapes, use the clip on rings~that will give them an updated look, and no one will even notice the pleats. Maybe after all your hard work, you want them to be noticed.

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

No, you don't want to use clip on rings, especially for that size curtains, plus they wouldn't hang right with clip ons.
    You can hook the drapery pin into the holes of regular rings, unless you're using a traverse rod. I make my own pleats, so not familiar with the prongs, but I think they have the drapery pin attached.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think those will look fabulous in your dining room! I can't wait to see them hung :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thanks Music. The fabric really is lovely and you did such a professional job. I can't wait to see them hung!