Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Input on North Carolina?

Posted by neversink4 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 20:12

Ten year plan was to live in Rochester NY. Love it except for a long winter. Can't tolerate the heat or humidity, but DH (its his turn) would like to re-locate in future to NC. Any input out there?

Are the taxes Retiree friendly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Input on North Carolina?

Hi, Neversink

Try living there for one summer first. Might be too hot for you. My brother's MIL moved, regretted it, and moved back "home." She would have been better off renting for a while first to try it out. Sorry, I don't have info on the taxes in NC.

o

You can check out any state on Kiplinger's active map. Below is a link to the discussion thread I posted on 9/23 in this forum. HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tax-friendly states for retirees

o

We have family there and have visited often. It can be hot and humid in the summers in much of NC, certainly. But I haven't found it terribly unpleasant. No worse to me than here in the MD suburbs of DC.

Further west, in the mountains, the weather is cooler, at least in the evenings, and dryer.

I'm lobbying for DH and me to retire to NC. It's much less expensive than where we are now, and the "triangle" area has many resources and a sizable airport (RDU).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here