Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tax-friendly states for retirement

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 12:25

Kiplinger and MSN Money posted an excellent article and interactive map to show exactly how different states tax retirees. They make the good point that just looking at income taxes is not enough; often sales and property taxes can be very high and offset any income tax savings.

The MSN money article is at: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/RetirementandWills/RetireInStyle/tax-friendly-places-to-retire.aspx

The interactive map (each individual state has its own set of statistics; the map is blank without titles so make sure you can recognize the outline of the state you want to click on!) is linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tax-friendly states for retirees

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tax-friendly states for retirement

Great info! (Guess I won't be moving to Oregon to be near family. lol)

o

Thanks for the link. It just confirms our decision to leave New Jersey as soon as my DH retires. I just paid my quarterly real estate tax today and looked back at previous bills. My 2009 property tax is just about double what I paid only 10 years ago. Yep- we have the highest property taxes in the nation. Can't wait to move back to PA- not a bargain, but significantly better than NJ.

Or maybe we'll look into our other neighbor- Delaware.

o

THANK YOU!

o

forget michigan, my taxes were higher than my house payment! and the states a cess pool to boot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here