Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IPE or Other Sustainably Harvested Wood For Deck

Posted by jef1 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 12:39

I've nixed anything pvc or even the plastic recycled lumber material for a deck and want good old fashioned wood. Even the new ACQ (which replaced CCA) doesn't thrill me. I want to go as green as I can and as I can afford. So I'm looking into truly sustainable and least maintenance decking. (Operable word there being "least" because anyone knows that no material is maintenance free).

So far I'm considering one of the IPE hardwoods (guaranteed sustainably harvested by stamp on material), mahogany, even teak, maaaaybe redwood or true heartwood red cedar - again, only sustainably harvested stuff. Some are more rot resistant than others and some are almost completely insect-damage resistant.

Any suggestions? Opinions. Anything?
Thanks.
Jef

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IPE or Other Sustainably Harvested Wood For Deck

Jef, We just installed Ipe decking from East Teak (thanks George!). It looks great! Tons of compliments already and we have not stained it yet. I will post pics soon.

o

I just built a large garapa deck (cheaper than ipe but similar characteristics) and love it. Come on over to the decks and porches forum and we'll be able to help you out some more.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garapa deck

o

We used Ipe and are almost done.. putting the handrail /cable rail system today and finishing it Friday I hope. The stain /uv protection will go on in spring. Heres a link to some pics on the porch and decks forum where I suggest you do more research. Lots of threads on many different materials.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg1110331628764.html?7

o

Thanks for the links to all your photos. Wow! to you all! Sorry I posted this here, didn't know there was a specific porch & deck forum. That's definitely the place I should be.
Deck's still in planning stage. Not proceeding till spring. Give me time to chose wood and peruse all the pertinent posts over at P&D forum. Thanks again. jef

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here