Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigkahuna_gw

Almost complete porch /deck

bigkahuna
14 years ago

Thought I would post a few progress pictures of the porch /deck on the house I designed for my girlfriend. I have gained some good information regarding the Ipe here to add to what I had already known. Thanks to those who post and answer. The cable railing / wood rail cap should go on in a week or so. It looks like weather will be to cool to finish till spring so its most likely going to get a light sanding to remove the screw hole burrs and washed /treated before woodrich wiping stain goes on. I used 4/4"x6" from ABS Wood. ( Bill? was pleasant to deal with and very fair on pricing and replacing smaller boards with longer ones when out of shorter pieces and at no extra cost) Screwed down with #8 2 1/2" headcote trim screws. It was cheaper and was concerned about the hidden fasteners per this board. ( although I have had clients us it without problems. I do like ease of replacing a damaged piece as well. 16" o/c spacing.. 14'span on part, 12" on other space same span but had been longer and wasnt changed when size changed. I would go with 12" if I did it again but is ok at 16" just not quite as stiff.

The siding is GP vinyl cedar shakes a ceiling is vinyl beaded soffit and trex pvc all used for little or no maintainance.

Anyone have any problems with wiping stains on white trim? I used trex cellular pvc. May need to test some scraps to see if it will permanently stain it if it gets on it. Thanks again for posting advice and tips.

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1503273}}

{{gwi:1503271}}

{{gwi:1503272}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1503269}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry it was Bruce at ABS. Not a push for them just wanted to pass on a positive experience.

• krayers
    14 years ago

Wow! Beautiful home, beautiful setting & view, great deck.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

"Wow! Beautiful home, beautiful setting & view, great deck."

Ditto!

In your last picture, the supporting post below the rim board, decking, upper railing post, you'll see an un- capped area at the top. I'm sure this will be capped as it's awesome detail and work, but you might want to double check or ask them about it as this will allow water to pool up and lead to damage to the wood post veneered over.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys , Its been a long process from design till now just under a year in construction on a lot that drops 50 feet. I spent a year designing hers and her brothers in same neighborhood and putting together budgets and subs. The trim guys still have to finish the column details and one short post. We are waiting on the metal intermediate support posts that the cable will run through. We have gone back and forth on material and finish. Its looking like 1/2"x1 1/2" aluminium and powder coated. With those in hand and a few small decisions they will come back and complete it. I plan on capping all the posts to keep water /snow/birds etc out. Good catch though shows youre looking close! Hopefully in the next week or so it will be completed. The inside is being painted so hopefully 6 weeks and she can move in.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can anyone recommend what grit sandpaper to knock off the burrs from screw holes and clean up the deck before finishing with wiping stain?Dont want to overdo it with to heavy grit. Does it usually require sanding the entire deck to get a consistant look or is spot sanding sufficient? Wasnt sure if it shows up big time in the finish if you only sand parts of it. Thanks

• salmon_slayer
    14 years ago

60 - 80 grit sandpaper. a rotary palm sander works good. For a very large area, a larger sander should be considered. Results on spot sanding vary a lot on the condition of the wood, how long its been down(already turning silver etc.) I had mixed results after waiting a couple weeks to do some spot sanding and staining. I believe Weedy had to resand her entire deck as it had been down a while and the spot sanding showed a huge difference

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Salmon, Thanks...It has been down for a few weeks now and the weather has been kinda iffy and not likely to work for temp. to put finish on so we will wait till spring and do it. Looks like the whole deck will need it then. Thanks again